“White Witch Is Great Don't miss it!”

White Witch Golf Club
Ranked #42 of 276 Outdoor Activities in Jamaica
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated on the historic 4,000 acre Rose Hall Estate, and sited on 200 acres of lush greenery and rolling countryside, The White Witch Golf Course is carved from the rolling countryside of Jamaica’s historic Rose Hall Plantation and is an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Robert von Hagge and Rick Baril. This 6,758-yard, Par 71 treasure is named for the plantation’s beautiful but wicked 19th century plantation mistress, Annee Palmer. Legend has it that Annee’s ghost still haunts the estate, creating an alluring mystique that has fascinated island natives and visitors for generations. Rated as the #1 Golf Course and #1 in Golf Shop Staff service by Conde Nast Traveler and winner of "Jamaica's Best Golf Course" title at the 2015 World Golf Awards, the White Witch is considered one of the finest golf courses in the Caribbean, characterized by mountainous terrain, cool trade winds, colorful foliage and spectacular ocean views from 16 of its 18 holes.
TexasCity,TX
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“White Witch Is Great Don't miss it!”
Reviewed May 15, 2006

One of the real jewels of the Carribean. I would love to have this one in the neighborhood to really enjoy.
The caddies are good, but first trust your judgement on the putts. They ay are dead on for playing the fairways and keeping you out of trouble. especially for those terrible blind shots over hill and dale.
While the beauty is there, the layout is magnificent. The bunkers need a little refinement because of the rocky nature (you're not suposed to have to play them, right?)
Overall the price is reasonable for the beauty of the course and the pleasure of the trip!

4 Thank REHolm

A TripAdvisor Member
“One of the Best Courses You'll Play”
Reviewed February 19, 2006

I played White Witch on 2/7/06 and it was magnificent. It had rained the previous few days making the course a bit tougher. The greens were big and tricky to read, definitely use the help of the caddies with that and also where to hit the drives. This was so relaxing, challenging, and fun. You cannot beat the scenery on this course...maybe Torrey Pines in San Diego. Also, don't bother bringing your clubs as the rentals they provide are probably better than your own set. Do bring extra sleeves of balls as OB is easy if you pull or slice severely and their is lots of water and mountainous terrain to hit over. The elevated tees on the par 3s mean your balls take forever to land...enjoy!!!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“great course”
Reviewed September 1, 2005

White Witch is wonderful. The course is so beautiful and picturesque. My 13 year old commented on the first hole" Thank you God for creating the game of golf". He was expresing the awesomeness of the course. .. high up in the mountains. The signature hole was great. The view of the Caribbean Sea was awesome. I did not fingd my caddie particularly helpful. By the way, the cold towels laced in rum were great. I would definitely play this course again. I am a 20 handicap and I score under 100 a.. par the signature hole and birdie a par 4 also.. but I scored 8 on some holes. Albert was wonderful. The pro was great also.. OH my God the view from the club house is tremendous. The bathrooms are impeccable.. beautiful.. marble all over and not to mention the starched hand towels........ "Certainly my lady"

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto Ontario Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Diabolical & fantastic”
Reviewed February 7, 2005

I just returned from a cruise and took the White Witch Golf package. I've played on many fine courses and I've played on courses that had striking "signature" holes, but this course beats them all. My playing partner took a photo at every hole, and you would be hard pressed to select just a couple as more picturesque than the others. As for the actual playing, it is a tough (diabolical) layout but so much fun and so eye appealing that you just can't help having fun, no matter how bad you play. I'm an average golfer, but scratch golfers will find this every bit as challenging as I did. The mandatory caddies (1 per cart) were very helpful, but we found it took a few holes to find each one's forte. In our instance one was very good a reading putts (which helped a lot, because many of the greens seemed to break one way, only to find they actually went in the opposite direction), the other dead on with distances and club selection. Highly recommended and I'd return for a day or two to Jamaica, just to play again. I would add all the photos, but I don't have them yet. Oh and I can't help bragging about the birdie on the toughest hole (#10), but in that case must also mention the three or four "snowmen" I got.

7 Thank jodcat
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lovely views, but not for the average golfer”
Reviewed June 3, 2004

Beautiful course (played 5/28/04) with a friendly staff. Just imagine however, a course with several elevated tee boxes and having to hit over mountainous terrain to reach the fairway. Imagine that very few of your iron shots will be played from a level fairway. Imagine putting on glass also.

Even with a cart and caddy, the course is very physically taxing (you’re still playing in the mountains). Speaking of the golf cart, it's not easy to drive the course either. The cart path is very winding with STEEP drops. You need to focus on your driving or you can end up seriously injured. This is not a place to bring your 10 year-old to let her have fun driving the golf cart.

Will I ever return... oh yeah. I think I went through 6 sleeves, but I had a great time. While I've had much more fun playing Cinnamon Hill, the White Witch is VERY challenging. Scratch players will be humbled. Bring an extra shirt and lots of golf balls. May I also recommend an extra driver, as I am certain your primary driver will require a new shaft after the 10th hole.

If you're wondering, I would have rated the course a 5 of 5 rather than a 4 of 5 if I weren't still very angry at the course.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member