“White Witch”

White Witch Golf Club
Ranked #44 of 269 Outdoor Activities in Jamaica
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated on the historic 4,000 acre Rose Hall Estate, and sited on 200 acres of lush greenery and rolling countryside, The White Witch Golf Course is carved from the rolling countryside of Jamaica’s historic Rose Hall Plantation and is an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Robert von Hagge and Rick Baril. This 6,758-yard, Par 71 treasure is named for the plantation’s beautiful but wicked 19th century plantation mistress, Annee Palmer. Legend has it that Annee’s ghost still haunts the estate, creating an alluring mystique that has fascinated island natives and visitors for generations. Rated as the #1 Golf Course and #1 in Golf Shop Staff service by Conde Nast Traveler and winner of "Jamaica's Best Golf Course" title at the 2015 World Golf Awards, the White Witch is considered one of the finest golf courses in the Caribbean, characterized by mountainous terrain, cool trade winds, colorful foliage and spectacular ocean views from 16 of its 18 holes.
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“White Witch”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Tamed her - beautiful course awesome caddie.
Carts were great, Greens could have been better but amazing ocean views

Visited April 2013
1 Thank millimoo

England
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Go for the view and the steak”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The view and sunset was amazing.

The steak was really good but the rest not sure .. Take bug spray and soak up the views :-)

Visited April 2013
1 Thank YorkshireMan
Lake Bluff, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Pitch for the Witch”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just got back from MoBay and had a great time playing White Witch. On arrival we were welcomed with smiles and attentiveness that you just don't get in the states. We met the Director of Golf Mike Cole, who was very personable and made sure everything was just right. The caddies are fantastic and know their stuff. Even though it was quite steamy, they are moving quickly across the fairway to look for an "occasional" errant shot. The course has several elevation changes which make for some very picturesque backdrops. The course itself is challenging and in good condition. If you are planning on playing golf in Jamaica, play the Witch. If you are not planning on playing golf in Jamaica, I would come and play. You won't be disappointed.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ty3
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Make time for this place”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a beautiful well kept area. Even if you do not play golf you should plan to drive to this place to see the area. Absolutly beautiful. The ones in our group who played said it was fantastic. They do have a dress code tho, so keep it nice.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Sharon L
Oakville, Canada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“World Class Golf Course”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I played this golf course in March with my 14 year old son. I wasn't prepared to pay $175 each plus caddie, plus cab, plus extras, but when I received a price of $109 and children under 16 play for free, I jumped at the chance. This course has spectacular views and has many memorable holes. The golf course is an old sugar plantation built on the side of a mountain. It has lots of downhill and uphill shots and its very windy. Errant shots will end up in the jungle, but I didn't find it as intimidating as I had read. If you have played Kapalua on Maui (another Ritz Carlton Course) or Royal Westmorland in the Barbadoes, the experience is very similar.

The Golf - 3 out of the 5 par threes (2, 14 & 17) have a immediate wow factor. They are challenging and the views are spectacular. (I will personally add 11 as it was my only birdie for the round).
The par 4 9th is an incredible dogleg left - a drive of 230 is needed to clear the bunker on the left (listen to your caddie as it looks closer than it really is). I was 130 out, hit a perfect wedge to the front part of the green, but instead of it bouncing toward the hole, it spun backwards off the green and down the hill. Great hole - number one handicap
The par 4 15th is one of the best risk reward holes I have seen. You can drive is 240 over the waste area (from the blue tees) or hit an iron to the left. A very fun golf hole
The par 5 10th is 600 yards. Again those bunkers don't look very far, but listen to your caddie. The hole isn't as intimidating as it looks - a good drive - a lay up - a wedge and two putts.
The par 5 6th, I got my worst break. The cart path runs through the middle of the fairway at exactly 200 yards. I hit a perfect drive which ended on the cart path. The ball rolled down the path to the right and almost down the hill and out of play. Instead of going for the green in two from the middle of the fairway. I had to lay up

Caddie - Kendra was our caddie - she gave us the correct yardage - distance to the bunkers off the tees and showed us the breaks on the greens. I was inside 10 feet for birdie 4 times and only made one putt. I would like to blame Kendra, but my putting stroke is brutal. Listen to your caddie, Kendra told us on many drives to be on the left side. A couple of times I was right down the middle and my ball found its way to the rough. Most holes appear to slope to the right. Kendra was great, the caddies earn $20 a person and I gave her another $10. Not sure if this is expensive or not as it was the first time we used a caddie which is manditory

Staff - very friendly and eager to please. The pro gave my son a quick lesson on the driving range which was much appreciated, one of the employees took our shoes at the end of the round and gave them a cleaning, and the pro shop employee was very informative.

Food - not much to eat - we had a couple of hotdogs at the turn which were tasty and I bought our caddie a sandwitch. We could have bought a chocolate bar, chips, pop or Red Strip beer.

Junior Golfers - White Witch is very junior friendly. If your child can break 100 they will love to play this golf course and they won't feel intimidated by the difficulty. If they are just learning, they will enjoy playing a few holes here and there. I can't think of another championship golf course that allows junior to play for free and welcomes them with open arms.

Total Cost for my son and I - Golf $120 (with Tax) - caddie $50, Cab $43 (with Tip) from Riu resort, lunch $20, after golf snack $10, souvenir $10, other tips $5. Total $258 US. Probably less than you would pay for a 6 hour excurtion for two

Overall - this course is now on my top 10 list and I would definately return to play it again - even for $175.

Visited March 2013