“World Class Golf Course”

White Witch Golf Club
Ranked #42 of 273 Outdoor Activities in Jamaica
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated on the historic 4,000 acre Rose Hall Estate, and sited on 200 acres of lush greenery and rolling countryside, The White Witch Golf Course is carved from the rolling countryside of Jamaica’s historic Rose Hall Plantation and is an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Robert von Hagge and Rick Baril. This 6,758-yard, Par 71 treasure is named for the plantation’s beautiful but wicked 19th century plantation mistress, Annee Palmer. Legend has it that Annee’s ghost still haunts the estate, creating an alluring mystique that has fascinated island natives and visitors for generations. Rated as the #1 Golf Course and #1 in Golf Shop Staff service by Conde Nast Traveler and winner of "Jamaica's Best Golf Course" title at the 2015 World Golf Awards, the White Witch is considered one of the finest golf courses in the Caribbean, characterized by mountainous terrain, cool trade winds, colorful foliage and spectacular ocean views from 16 of its 18 holes.
Oakville, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“World Class Golf Course”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I played this golf course in March with my 14 year old son. I wasn't prepared to pay $175 each plus caddie, plus cab, plus extras, but when I received a price of $109 and children under 16 play for free, I jumped at the chance. This course has spectacular views and has many memorable holes. The golf course is an old sugar plantation built on the side of a mountain. It has lots of downhill and uphill shots and its very windy. Errant shots will end up in the jungle, but I didn't find it as intimidating as I had read. If you have played Kapalua on Maui (another Ritz Carlton Course) or Royal Westmorland in the Barbadoes, the experience is very similar.

The Golf - 3 out of the 5 par threes (2, 14 & 17) have a immediate wow factor. They are challenging and the views are spectacular. (I will personally add 11 as it was my only birdie for the round).
The par 4 9th is an incredible dogleg left - a drive of 230 is needed to clear the bunker on the left (listen to your caddie as it looks closer than it really is). I was 130 out, hit a perfect wedge to the front part of the green, but instead of it bouncing toward the hole, it spun backwards off the green and down the hill. Great hole - number one handicap
The par 4 15th is one of the best risk reward holes I have seen. You can drive is 240 over the waste area (from the blue tees) or hit an iron to the left. A very fun golf hole
The par 5 10th is 600 yards. Again those bunkers don't look very far, but listen to your caddie. The hole isn't as intimidating as it looks - a good drive - a lay up - a wedge and two putts.
The par 5 6th, I got my worst break. The cart path runs through the middle of the fairway at exactly 200 yards. I hit a perfect drive which ended on the cart path. The ball rolled down the path to the right and almost down the hill and out of play. Instead of going for the green in two from the middle of the fairway. I had to lay up

Caddie - Kendra was our caddie - she gave us the correct yardage - distance to the bunkers off the tees and showed us the breaks on the greens. I was inside 10 feet for birdie 4 times and only made one putt. I would like to blame Kendra, but my putting stroke is brutal. Listen to your caddie, Kendra told us on many drives to be on the left side. A couple of times I was right down the middle and my ball found its way to the rough. Most holes appear to slope to the right. Kendra was great, the caddies earn $20 a person and I gave her another $10. Not sure if this is expensive or not as it was the first time we used a caddie which is manditory

Staff - very friendly and eager to please. The pro gave my son a quick lesson on the driving range which was much appreciated, one of the employees took our shoes at the end of the round and gave them a cleaning, and the pro shop employee was very informative.

Food - not much to eat - we had a couple of hotdogs at the turn which were tasty and I bought our caddie a sandwitch. We could have bought a chocolate bar, chips, pop or Red Strip beer.

Junior Golfers - White Witch is very junior friendly. If your child can break 100 they will love to play this golf course and they won't feel intimidated by the difficulty. If they are just learning, they will enjoy playing a few holes here and there. I can't think of another championship golf course that allows junior to play for free and welcomes them with open arms.

Total Cost for my son and I - Golf $120 (with Tax) - caddie $50, Cab $43 (with Tip) from Riu resort, lunch $20, after golf snack $10, souvenir $10, other tips $5. Total $258 US. Probably less than you would pay for a 6 hour excurtion for two

Overall - this course is now on my top 10 list and I would definately return to play it again - even for $175.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Golfer15544

Detroit, MI
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Play this Course over any other in Rose Hall”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just played this cours on 1/14/13, Do youself a favor and don't focus on price, you MUST play this course over any other in Rose Hall. The Views are amazing. We stayed at the Hilton were the Cinnamon hills course is, White Witch is Worth the extra $20. Go to www.ezlinks.com and save yourself a few dollars . It was a $15 dollar cab ride from the Hilton, but basicaly it was right across the street. I only golf about 8 times a year and usually golf right around 100 and I was still able to do alright on this course with the help of the EXCEPTIONAL caddy Marvin (more on him later).
Each hole is cut out of the woods and you never cross paths of other golfers. Plenty of elevation as you go from hole to hole all over the mountain.

Caddie - We had Marvin as our caddie and he was awesome. He knew the course like the back of his hand, and after watching my game for a few holes he was providing me with what clubs to hit. Each hole he told us were to hit our drives and what the distance was of each hazard. When it game to reading the greens he was spot on. If you hit the ball 3 inchs to the right of the cup with the pace he provided it dropped each and every time. He also took care of the flag stick, golf balls and putters allowing us to focus on golf and having a good time.

Not sure on what rentals and such cost as I brought my own balls, clubs, etc.

Wheter your a good golfer or not, take it from this "regular Joe" and go play this course.

1 Thank Lazymind
Spokane, Washington, United States
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Da White Witch Mon!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Fantastic Golf Course! If your in Montego Bay come golf here, the course plays how it looks and your caddies know there stuff. The views and the holes are fantastic and well kept and the greens are nice and well maintained and the views are fantastic!

Here's a tip: Get a twilight tee time after 3pm and its only 80.00 with cart, caddie, clubs if your renting!
Tip#2: Only got snacks on the course so pack a lunch!

3 Thank Jeff B
Naples, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Which Witch”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I played at the White Witch golf course on the Rose Hall plantation last Thursday, Jan 10th via the Independence of the Sea. If we didn't have our personnel caddies, the scores would have sailed outta sight. My price, included transportation from the cruise docks, green fees, cart, caddy, golf clubs(although I brought my own)golf clubs were provided if you didn't bring your own. Shoes were an extra fee(had my own). With all the fees and something on the 19th hole, my total outlay was $190. If you stayed at hotels near by, the price goes down to $120-130/round. Certain times of the year after 3pm(9 holes only)the price dropped to $59/pp. The course is very challenging but not overly so. It's a test of shot placement and minimizing your risks. The golf course has several risk/reward type of holes but overall just staying in the middle of the narrow fairway is a win win. The 1st cut of rough, the golf ball drops 2 inches below the soft, fine turf. It prevents a decent 2nd shot to the green on the par 4's.. Everywhere there are bunkers and small steep hills that make for some interesting shots. Getting back to the caddies. They are worth their tips in gold. They know this course well. They suggest you find your 150 or 210yd club and tell you where to aim it. On the greens, they hand you, your putters, suggest where to aim your ball and the speed at which to hit it. More often than not, the balls went right where they said. But these greens are quick, so beware how hard u hit. I had 1 birdie, just missed on 2 others, several pars, several bogies and 1 double & triple bogey. The vista's are beautiful and the course made use of all my clubs. It was breezy, when I played, so keep those balls down. Will I play this course the next time I visit Jamaica, in a heartbeat.

2 Thank travelingterry53
Rochester, New York, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Golf at White Witch”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Played golf on Christmas day at the White Witch Golf course in Montego Bay. The tour operator at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites offered a lower price than booking directly. They included transportation, club rentals and greens fees. You have to take a fore caddy....we got Ian who was very nice. The views from this golf course are spectacular and the elevation changes for your tee shots created many "Kodak moments." The rental set was nice....Taylor Made. The course conditions were good....what I would expect from a resort style course....greens rolled nice. We didn't have time to have lunch afterwards, but the views from the restaurant in the club house were spectacular.

Visited December 2012