“Ok”

Plymouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Dived 4 times here and had a mixed experience. My first dive was terrible, the instructor did not check the equipment, brief us about the dive site or give us a safety talk...being a paying customer you expect a certain level of enthusiasm but unfortunately he looked as if he would rather be somewhere else!

Went with Myron, the instructor at clubhotel riu, and had the best time during the rest of my dives! Really professional and pointed lots of things out.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Gracie922

Lisle, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Good dive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Scuba Caribe was at our resort (Grand Lido Negril, formerly Breezes) and my Wife and I are both Open Water certified. The cost for a dive was $40/person/dive and included all equipment. There were 2 dive options, 9:30AM and 11:30AM. We scheduled for 11:30AM the next morning. At 9:15 the next morning, we received a call saying the 11:30 was canceled and if we wanted to, we could go on the 9:30. We explained that we would take a few minute to get there. We hurried over and were shown the equipment room (more on equipment later) and they didn't have flippers my wife size but that they would be on the boat. Half way through gathering our equipment and checking it out, we were told the dive boat left already but that there WOULD be an 11:30 dive. This irritated us greatly - we changed out plans because they cancelled our dive, but then they said it WOULD go out after all. The staffer also was confused when we declined wet suits given that the water was so warm. We are glad we didnt as the water was a VERY comfortable temperature.
We showed up again a few minutes before 11 to check out equipment out again. The dive boat didnt show up till almost noon.
Once on the boat though, it was more in line with what we expected. Professional dive instructors explaining the dive, giving a quick review and offering a hand putting on the gear. Actual dive was a typical Caribbean reef dive - beautiful underwater sights, extremely clear water and plenty to see. Our instructor pointed out some neat sights as well. So once on the dive, it was a good experience.
Equipment was pretty good actually - The regulator "Octopus" was all in excellent condition with no cracks, leaks or bad seals. The BCDs were in good shape as well. Tanks had all the appropriate markings and seals. My wife's flipper broke when she entered the water but they had a replacement her size on the boat..
So overall, an alright experience. The actual dive made up for a so-so support. If you have other options, consider them. If this is your only option, it might still be worth it.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Patrick Z
San Antonio, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Do not use Scuba Caribe Negril”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

My dive with Scuba Caribe was my worst experience in 20 years of diving the Caribbean. First, the crew was 30 minutes late and showed up without necessary gear which meant going to another hotel to get it. Once we got in the boat, they were determined to go the closest reef just off the hotel beach despite perfect weather and much better dive sites within a reasonable distance. The dive brief took about 20 seconds. There was no help getting gear ready and on, which meant the experienced divers wound up helping the new divers for safety sake. Then they mixed novice divers with experienced ones in the same group, which meant the experienced divers got a terrible dive that was very short because the novices sucked down to under 1,000 pounds in about 30 minutes.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Kitchenhelp
Auburn, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A So-So Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The guys who took us out on the boat seemed to be a in a bad mood and not friendly. The gear was fine, but we had our own fins, masks and snorkel. One guy didn't bring fins and the ones they gave him were old and small, they didn't seem to be very good. We went on two dives and a word to the wise. Look at your dive charts and your planned dive time first. We exceeded what we should have in our residual nitrogen levels and didn't realize it until we went to log our dives later. We just assumed the staff would be aware of that stuff (bad assumption). Overall it was fine and we used them because they were partnered with our resort. In the future I would recommend skip them and use Dream Team Divers and possible SunDivers (we tried Dream Team they were great - Sundivers we didn't get a chance to use because their boat broke down).

Visited June 2013
2 Thank mistyolen
Ottawa, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I did a two tank dive through the Scuba Caribe hut on Riu Tropical Bay. The staff were friendly and they found me a set of fins which was the only gear I didn't bring.

I found their gear quite old / used. Bring your own everything if you can.

Pro's: Warm and calm water, easy water access off the boat and dive sites are a short boat ride from the beach. Dive master gave a decent summary of the dive and was attentive throughout the dive. Saw my first shark - an 8 ft nurse shark (thanks to the guide for finding it!)

Con's: Have to carry your own gear to the boat and they provide no help in setting stuff up. Boat is very basic - no washroom so go before. Also the dives were short - 35 mins only and/or when the first person runs out of air. I prefer if we can stay under around 20-30 feet under the boat to explore while people go up as they run low on air. Also - had to go pick up other people at resorts down the beach and wasted about an hour.

Wasn't the best place to dive but at least I got under water and felt safe.

Paid about $80 for the two tanks.

Visited April 2013