“By far the superior option”
Review of Auberge du Picolet

Auberge du Picolet
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Cap-Haitien
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I left the Auberge du Picolet today after a long weekend break in Cap Haitien. We had initially contacted the Mont Joli, as it has a pool, but the email went unanswered and so we contacted the Picolet who provided prompt and comprehensive communication. This turned out to be a stroke of fortune - yes Mont Joli has a pool but you can walk around the corner from the Picolet and use it as a guest if you buy a drink which are cheap.

The sisters who run the Picolet were generous and attentive with their time and provided a level of pro-active concierge service I have never previously had the pleasure of encountering. When they were not on the front desk their staff maintained the high standards of hospitality and customer service they set.

The rooms are clean and well maintained. The bar and restaurant have a colonial oasis feel to them and are priced sensibly.

I will not hesitate to book another stay here and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone needing accommodation in the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jaymiec1

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been in Cap Haitien for six nights in May 2013. I have lodged for 1 hight only at hotel du roi Christophe (see my other review for this hotel) and the 5 others at Auberge du Picolet.

This hotel is very well situated, directly facing the sea along a big boulevard. this part of the city is clean, quiet and very safe. there is a boardwalk on the other side of the boulevard where you can walk safely and comfortably for 2 km. The hotel is very near about the Cathedral of Cap Haïtien. There is an access to the beach not far away but you can reach the most beautiful beaches 10 to 20km outside the city on the north-east direction (To Fort Liberté).

The hotel : very very very nice. welcoming you with beautiful hall of entrance. Quiet restaurant providing international quality of food. Free Wi-Fi available in the Hall, in the restaurant and in meeting room but not in individual rooms. The hotel has 28 rooms on two floors very well equipped and very clean. I could rate the hotel as a good 3 STARS... almost a 4 stars. Prize of the rooms is very reasonnable and you can expect a better prize if you stay more than 2 or 3 nights. This hotel is almost totally wheelchair accessible. There are two small steps at the entrance but they can provide with a small ramp for the time of your stay. restaurant is accessible. Meeting room and public toilets have three stairs to give full access. Individual rooms are accessibles.

Staff of the hotel is always available and totally dedicated to the clients. This hotel has a family story and is not member of a big chain. Anyway you can make your reservation on the website of the hotel.

If I return to cap haitien, I will FOR SURE stay again in Auberge Le Picolet which is the best value for your money in Cap Haitien. So I recommend the hotel to any of you without any hesitation.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, clean and large. If yoiu use a wheelchair, very important to mention because...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul-Claude33
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have stayed at Auberge for 6 years now and it improves every year. Food is excellent; hotel is clean and amenities are added to each year. There are less expensive options in Cap Haitien. This is not roughing it! When we first started going to Cap Haitien in 1998 I did not expect to find such a place. We have stayed in 10$ a night to 150$/ night. You can imagine the difference.
Staff is courteous and most are able to communicate in several languages.
C. Page

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Claude P
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

In a very tough city this hotel makes a welcome home base.
The staff are very friendly. The public areas are very nice.
The food is quite good - felt authentic and home made.
The rooms are very basic. But were immaculately clean.
Air conditioning worked great. Note. They don't supply shampoo or hair dryers.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank rbach
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Had an amazing experience there great food great rooms and great service. In the core of the city walking distance to all nightlife and they have ocean view rooms.
Their restaurant is my favorite place to eat in Cap Haitian

Room Tip: Ask for oceanview to wake up in paradise
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brandy M
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We ended up staying at Auberge au Picolet out of spite to the rude receptionist at Mont Joli. Before going to Haiti I had researched hotels on various sites and expected to pay what they had suggested!!! Unfortunately you are not able to book on line so its a case of call (I don't speak French) or hope for the best when you turn up Rui Christophe our first choice was full someone called for us while we were on the bus! so we went to the Mont Joli as it was near the bus station, only to be told 1 room left $150 dollars we left promptly and went to Auberge au Picolet they had more rooms available but at the same price..... unbelievable. We had no choice but to stay it was getting dark and we had been traveling all day so $150 it was. Including breakfast.

The room was clean, large had 2 double beds, AC, hot water and cable TV. THis is Haiti not Europe mind you Europe would be cheaper.

The front reception was very nice a small bar restaurant and some chairs around a courtyard. The hotel is situated on the waterfront, don't get excited its sea, then a wall then the partly finished road then the hotel so hardly picturesque.

Reception staff were lovely what more can I say $50 yes but not $150.

We found out eating in Cap Haitien is just as expensive too. Don't go to Haiti on a budget!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank michellebrown2000
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Having stopped by in person to reserve a few rooms for that night, I was told to wait a few minutes while they checked availability, who was checking out, etc. fair enough. Two rooms available - return at 2. And at 2 we did return and were told to wait. One busy clerk and a few staff malingering behind counter....hmmm. The ladies who were dealing with said clerk were wondering why their reservation was absent, considering they made it weeks ago for a big wedding in town. I can understand their frustration. So the manager comes out, while they are still goofing these women around and signals to the big table of wedding guests I assume, that our rooms were for them. She did offer me one room. Unacceptable. Unprofessional. Rude. Don't point at a table full of folks and deflect your incompetence.
Anyway, it's a beautiful building, mediocre food, I have yet to see the rooms. I hear they are just fine, but I will not be giving them my business.

• Stayed: November 2012