Musee du Pantheon National Haitien

Book in advance
from
$750.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Musee du Pantheon National Haitien
from $750.00
More Info
from $2,500.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

This was a BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE! JUST BEAUTIFUL! Vincent was very informative about the history and historical influence of Haiti with other cultures. It was great. Make the time to visit.

Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

My family and I went to visit MUPANAH and it was the best museum I have visited. The rich culture, the information that you learn, the art...it was exquisite! The tour guide we had was a young lady and she was excellent: you can choose from a guide that speaks English, French or Creole; we had a creole speaking guide as my family is Haitian and understands Creole; I believe the price was about $5 USD but I could be wrong but it was not expensive at all. You can't take book bags in the museum so they do have free lockers & keys to keep them in until you leave. You also are not allowed to take pictures in the museum. I kind of like that idea only because you become focused on the actual art and exhibits and the information from your guide instead of trying to get the perfect Instagram picture or "selfie." It's a small museum with a permanent section and a revolving exhibit, but there is just so much to see. It had the actual crown of Empreror Soulouque, items that belonged to Dessalines, Christophe, L'ouverture, and Petion!! And so much more to see. This is a definite place to visit whether you are on vacation or live in Haiti.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed August 14, 2016

Within a nice garden, harbouring an architecture that owes little to random and a lot to talent, the place has a lot to show to the outside visitor.

Past the entrance, a lot of the promises are kept: the place is clean, with marble and gold that suggest silence and respect.

The museum 'of the National Haitian Pantheon', as it calls itself, is just that: national, no doubt, pantheon-related, oh yes it is, bordering on hagiography. The museum is not really aimed at tourists, but rather at Haitian youth looking for national identity.

It shows relics rather than artefacts and documents, glory rather than explanations, national pride rather than national history. In most countries, an equivalent museum would be irritating and ridiculous low-level national propaganda. However, here, we forgive and understand, and even appreciate the priority set on educational aspects. There are some moving and touching stories being told, with the dominant colours being black, white and red, for the victims, the perpetrators and blood respectively. In this way, the place does a lot towards giving posthumous justice to the countless victims of massacres and exploitation.

The place keeps a regrettable silence, though, on the victims of the country's endemic mis-governance since 1804. The Duvallier's are just shown within the range of heads of State, and nothing is told about their somewhat expeditious and idiosyncratic vision on democracy and justice.

We regret that the museum does not go further in explaining the why's, including why has this country been left behind, and where the country is heading. But this may be asking too much. What is left is to dream, instead, of a future day when Haitian national success will stump national pride.

1  Thank 127Fred
Reviewed August 11, 2016

We brought 15 teenagers here as a way to kickoff their trip to Haiti. We were really glad we took the tour and I think they all learned a lot about Haitian history.

1  Thank adam m
Reviewed August 10, 2016

Visiting this museum was the highlight of my trip to Haiti. It is not large, but it includes a good many artifacts, paintings, and displays. I wish we were allowed to take pictures. My only reservation is that some of the displays lacked detailed descriptions. I am able to read in French, so when a description or caption was provided I was able to translate information to my English speaking husband and sister. If you arever not a French speaker, or aren't familiar with Haiti'so history, to truly enjoy the museum, you should arrange for a guide. Many of the displays do not have descriptions sof you'd just have to guess.They have different pricing for locals and tourist, but it it won't cost more than appx. 4.80 US per person. Kids under 3 are free. I only saw street parking, but there are a few spaces at the entrance, through the gates. Definitely make plans to eat at the restaurant next door. Check out my review on it for more details!

1  Thank fancyj20