“Labadee”
Review of Labadee

Labadee
Ranked #6 of 69 things to do in Haiti
More attraction details
Owner description: An area located in northern Haiti that is famous for its striking natural beauty and great beaches.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 3, 2006

If buying from the island, becareful what you buy. When getting off the ship in Miami, the customs agent gave be a hard time about the wood walking canes I had bought. He said they may have bugs in them. But he let us go… after getting home we noticed fine dust by the canes, the little bugs were hard at work eating the wood.
Enjoy Labadee, but it's better to leave some things there…

41  Thank linoman
Write a ReviewReviews (1,971)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"floating mats"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2006

It was just like a few people have said, 10 foot fences, UN helicopters flying low in the sky. The locals are dressed up before the tourists get there and undressed as they leave ( be the last few to leave the island and you labadie lovers will watch it get stipped down to the 3 world, armed guard land it truely is ) The place is small, the beaches are so-so ( like any other caribean location ) I felt like a prisoner and the reviews of the food taken off the boat and left on the beach are correct ) The people there make their money from the tourists, and if they were not hassling you it was because you were spending money, if you were not they hounded you like starving animals. Yes it had niec snorking, yes there was kiyaking and parasailing with nice sites to see, but you can get all this in the bahamas and not be fearfull of your life.

56  Thank Traveler23160
Reviewed May 22, 2006

My family and I just returned from a RC cruise. Labadee, Haiti was our first stop. I signed up for the "Castaway at Malfini Beach" excursion and truly enjoyed it. All of Labadee was beautiful, but the little cove area where Malfini Beach is located is so beautiful I felt like I was on a movie set. The water is crystal blue and the vegatation is so green and lush. Just beautiful! After the excursion, we were returned to the main beach where the food and activities were located. I noticed the fence running around the back of the tourist area and quickly realized that the tourist beach was nothing like the area where the locals live. I could see them walking on the other side of the fence and it made me feel like a snotty, selfish tourist. I was enjoying complimentary drinks and food while the people who called the place home were struggling to survive. I did go to the markets, but did not purchase anything. I realized the merchants were only trying to make a living and did not find them offensive. They always said please and basically just asked if they could show me their merchandise. They just live in a different culture where it's obviously not considered rude to be upfront. They have beautiful paintings and woodwork. I was exhausted and hot and shopping was not my first priority that day. Again, the water and beaches are unbelievably beautiful. If you visit, just be sure to appreciate the land and its people as more than just a tourist attraction.

143  Thank Stay6582
Reviewed April 19, 2006

Labadee is NOT an island. It is on mainland of Haiti. If you go, try ahead of time to get permission to get off the cruise company beach and have a day trip into the town of Labadee across the bay. You will experience a real feel for Haiti and the people--who are wonderful--and the tough time they have every day. The depressing thing is that Labadee is about as it gets for living in Haiti. Try amd imagine--you really can't unless you've been there--what life is like in the slums of Port au Prince. A trip to Haiti is not for the weak, but it will be an experience you will not soon forget.

JDL

88  Thank WallaceLover
See more reviews
Reviewed April 15, 2006

Our first stop on our Royal Caribbean Cruise was the small peninsula of Labadee, Haiti. We took advice from this website and went early to try to get a good spot. We also walked to the beach furthest away from the main beach where the water park and jet ski rentals reside. Much to our disappointment, our 9:30 a.m. arrival was not in time to get a shaded shelter. There aren't many and all were taken. We asked the gentleman that helped us for a spot with some sun and shade. He placed our chairs almost on top of another couple...which made them angry and put us in an uncomfortable situation. The $5 tip I gave the man who placed us on top of somebody else caused him obvious displeasure as well. By going to the last beach, we did manage to avoid renting a snorkel vest ($6)...which is supposedly mandatory...but our 30 minute snorkeling adventure turned up about 10 total fish so it really didn't matter. There wasn't much to see except seaweed! There was live music at our beach when we arrived which was a nice touch. However, the guys in the band stopped after every song to hawk their CD of island music. That got pretty annoying. In all honesty...if we cruise again and go to Labadee...we'll opt to stay on the boat.

101  Thank Volunteerjake