“Definitely a MUST VISIT!”
Review of Labadee

Labadee
Ranked #6 of 41 things to do in Haiti
More attraction details
Owner description: An area located in northern Haiti that is famous for its striking natural beauty and great beaches.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Labadee, Haiti was our first stop on our 7 day cruise on The Oasis of the sea by Royal Caribbean and I must say I fell in love with the island! A beautiful beach connected to a shopping area with rare arts and crafts. The zip line also looks like a lot of fun although I didn't get the chance to experience it. Also make sure to sharpen your negotiating skills before you buy anything at the shops!

7  Thank NicDaExplorer
Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)
All reviews
in 38 reviews
"lounge chairs"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Labadee Haiti - The beach was beautiful. Bring water shoes as very rocky at the beach. Rented water rafts and looked for shells. This is the 3rd time I have been here with my family. We love this beach. Many shops - walk back a bit and the locals have shops. Make sure you negotiate a price as all of the vendors have different prices and they start very high. The shop near the beach is not negotiable and the prices are set. Stop here first to get an idea on the price.

Last year at this same beach we did the snorkel excursion. We had a wonderful time. There is also a zipline excursion.

6  Thank Kim D
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Royal Caribbean's beautiful private area in Haiti made for a terrific day. Whether you are adventurous or just want to chill on a beautiful beach, it's perfect. There are zip lines, a roller coaster with gorgeous mountain views and great access to snorkeling and scuba.

2  Thank Beverly K
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If I had to do over again, I would not even get off the boat at this port. We booked the sandbar island excursion. There was no sandbar, they took us to a small island that had locals on it trying to sell you junk. My daughter wanted a small painted box that was $20, they would only come down to $15 after much bartering.... After we got back from our excursion, which was cut short for some reason, we went to the local market place and there was the same exact box for $8. I was a little upset that they are buying the goods from the market place and then jacking up the price to sell to you on an excursion. The local marketplace people were rude and would not take "no thank you" for an answer. They hounded us to the point where we just left annoyed and got back on the ship! I would never recommend this excursion or this island. It is ashamed that the best boat in the Royal Caribbean fleet (allure of the seas) picks this as a port! Please do not waste your money on this excursion or port.

16  Thank MelissaandCraig
See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We recently visited here as the last stop on our Royal Caribbean cruise. The resort is much larger than I expected it to be, and was very clean and safe.

Royal Caribbean offers many different excursion options here. My wife and I tried the speedboat snorkeling for $69/person. It was fun to skim over the water at 50 mph in the speedboat, and the water was beautiful. We saw many fish, but all very small. The bad part was that they really didn't give us any snorkeling instruction or guidance. And they had us swimming pretty far from the boat in some very shallow reef areas. I'm comfortable in the water, but I was getting exhausted trying to keep up with the "guide" in the choppy water for the hour of snorkeling.

There are lockers, but I think they were something like $8 for the day. And I believe they also charge something like $12 to rent "floaty/rafts" for the beach.

The swimming beach is quite small, and was very crowded. We were the only ship in port, but I understand the island sometimes accommodates two cruise ships at once. I can't imagine where they fit all the people. The water was nice and calm, but we were right on top of everyone in the ocean. There was no room to spread out.

On the other side of the resort, there is much more beach front, but the water is apparently very rocky and not good for swimming. That side was more for sunbathing, but it was roughly twice the size of the area on the "swimming beach."

They have some shops for local wares, but we really did not get the opportunity to explore them.

The lunch option was a bit off-putting. It was just an outdoor burger and hot dog buffet with usual American "picnic" type options (potato salad, cole slaw, etc.). The line was tremendously long and it was sweltering heat. I thought the quality of the food was sub-par...all the food and drinks seemed very bland and weak. And there were really no vegetarian options to speak of. I ended just eating some salad, some side items, and making a cheese sandwich out of the hamburger toppings.

All in all, it's a beautiful little resort and well maintained. But personally I would have rather had extra time in San Juan, St. Maarten, and/or Bermuda (or visit some other port with more space and tourism options).

12  Thank Daniel O