“Visited whilst On Royal Caribbean Cruise 'Freedom of the seas'”
Review of Labadee

Labadee
Ranked #2 of 69 things to do in Haiti
More attraction details
Owner description: An area located in northern Haiti that is famous for its striking natural beauty and great beaches.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This was an exclusive area on Haiti, which was very pleasant, but lacked the time or chance to explore the real country.

We did the 'dragons breath' zip wire, which was fairly expensive but a worthwhile experience going down across the bay.

There were other excursions available, but due to time issues, and not wanting to overdo it on our first stop, gave them a miss. Personally, i would have liked to do the jet skiing!

11  Thank J D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)
All reviews
in 38 reviews
"ribs"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed November 23, 2011

We visited Labadee during our cruise on Oasis of the Seas. We had booked long excursions on other stops so we did not book any for this place. Instead we wanted to use the day to relax and enjoy the beach. For this purpose the place was perfect! We visited only one beach so I cannot comment the overall situation of the beaches. The beach we selected was on Columbus Cove and it was clean and very beautiful with a view to the ship and the mountains. Water was so clear and the sand soft - no need for watershoes on this beach! I rented a floating beach mat which was an excellent decision (no need to book the mat beforehand from RCCL, you can rent it directly from the beach for 12 dollars). Buffet lunch was ok and I really enjoyed the Labadoozie drinks even though the price of the drink was quite high (it was the best drink I tasted during the cruise).

Go early to get the beach chair on the best spot just above the waterline - with or without the shade from the trees. You get also more time to enjoy the sun and warmth before it gets too hot later on the day. There was a free water bus transport from the pier directly to the Columbus Cove - no need to walk all the way to the other side and you get good pictures of the cruise ship during the transportation. There is also tram but it does not take you all the way - we used it for returning to the ship. Remember to take few dollars with you for tipping the guy who will carry your beach chair where ever you want it.

I am not a beach person normally but I really loved the day on this beautiful beach!

36  Thank Lealei
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Our ship stopped at this vacation spot for a "day on the beach". While the surroundings are beautiful, the beach was sub-prime. There were pieces of coral laying on the sand in the water and I would recommend water shoes to enjoy the beach without hurting your feet. There where there is no coral pieces, there is small seaweed. Not an enjoyable beach experience.

We were told to bring small change for the local vendors selling wares. We did not plan on purchasing any souvenirs there so did not bring any money. After a man, hired by the cruise line, set up our beach chairs, he waited for his tip. We were embarrassed to have no money to tip him. This was the fault of Royal Caribbean for the miss information. Next time we will know better, but it was not a good situation.

I did take some time to look at the vendors. I expected a few vendors, but there were so many that competition between them was fierce to get you into their shop area. While the shopping area was well laid out and clean, there were just too many vendors with similar products. Less vendors with more variety would have been better. Their wares and art work were very nice and well worth the prices they were quoting however they expect you will bargain with them. After seeing their things, I was wishing I had brought some money, but then it was a good way to get them from "hounding" me. I just told them I had brought no money. Some were so desperate they wanted me to take an item and bring the money later. I didn't do that, but in hard economic times I imagine even the cruisers are more careful on what they spend among them. Supporting these artisans would be so much better than buying an overpriced drink or excursion on the cruise ship.

Would I return? Yes. After being there once, I would be better prepared for what is offered at this beach attraction. We didn't get to explore the entire area with all the attractions. Our time there was cut short by an approaching tropical storm and we boarded and sailed early.

27  Thank Gutenberg
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I took a Royal Caribbean cruise through the eastern Caribbean. I was pretty excited about the trip but it turned out to be a disappointment. One of the worst places was Labadee, a small part of Haiti that Royal Caribbean bought to use as a private island. We were off the ship for the morning and early afternoon to enjoy food and the beach on shore. However, the beach and water around the beach was covered with garbage - plastic stuff and other refuse. No one wanted to venture into the water. It was pretty disgusting, and kind of upsetting too that there is a beautiful spot - littered with garbage. I don't even know what to say about this except if you are taking an RCI cruise, I would definitely recommend avoiding this part of the trip.

24  Thank Tula_Toronto
See more reviews
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Although situated in Haiti, that is the closest you'll get to it. Labadee was built by RCI and, as such, is simply a piece of generic water/extreme sports and beautiful beaches. There is absolutely nothing to do with the real Haiti. No culture, no traditional food, no information, nothing. The only thing you can do is go to the beaches (which are extremely beautiful) or participate in jet skis, zip-lines etc. The shopping area is lively yet all shops sell the same merchandise-and be prepared to haggle! I felt that this stop on our cruise was just a way for RCI to get us to give them our money as, obviously due to safety concerns, we were not allowed to leave the compound. The least they could do is offer some informative aspect to this stop, such as samples of Haitian cuisine, traditional dancing, a history talk, something!

33  Thank fionapapa