“Great holiday for families with children”

Club Med La Caravelle
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Sainte-Anne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I spent in Club Med in Guadalupe Christmas and New Year holidays and I must say that we had a great time there. The resort is the ideal for families with children. The Club Med team was very efficient and professional and they arranged a lot of nice activities, both for adults and children: shows, barbecues on the beach, fireworks, games on the beach and in the swimming pool etc. There is also the school of cirque which is absolutely unique. You must try it! The beach is very nice and peaceful and the sea....well we are at the Caribbean!! Food also was always fresh, good with a lot of choices for every tastes.
The only thing which, according to me was not great, was the room, as it was a little bit too small and it was located in a not very nice area of the resort. However I must say that there are many types of rooms and some are in very actractive positions, but I suppose that you have to book them longtime in advance as we didn't find availability. However our room was always very clean and the staff very kind and efficient
I would certainly come back.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank Simona70
There are newer reviews for Club Med La Caravelle

Reviewed September 17, 2007

Arrived 1st September 2007, and enjoyed every minute of our stay. With our 3month old daughter and 2 year old boy, the whole experience was simply fantastic. Particular credit to the GO's who on the whole were the most friendly and helpful staff, making our 2 year old feel right at home (thank you Aude, Jake is swimming so strongly now!).

Meals are always different, and all excellent quality. Service as I mention, superb.

Watersports (Fred at the windsuft shack is great!) are tremendous, the stretch of water either side the resort give both flat crystal clear water ideal for the kiddies, and a more choppy windy side for my windsurfing. :)

Our stay of 10 days was just right, long enough to relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank pajgardner
Reviewed August 31, 2007

My wife and I are returning from the Club Med La Caravelle in Guadeloupe Sept 1 st 2007. That was our 4 th Club Med in the last 8 years. We spent the last week of August and after 3 days, we were trying to find a flight to come back.

Lets talk about the beach, last year we were in Club Med Turk and Caicos and the year before in Colombus Isle those are extremely nice beaches, the Caravelle beach was dirty, very small and in terrible shape....if they don't do nothing now, the next hurricane that will hit the Guadelupe the beach will be gone, already many Palm trees roots are exposed because of the lack of sand, the erosion of the beach is already started....if you are looking for a nice beach where you are going to take long walk...this is no longer the place, also the beach is dirty with alguae and plastic glasses. This is a public beach so every day the locals are coming on the beach and on week ends this is a popular attraction... if you want a quiet place forget about it ! this is one of the last interesting beach for the locals.

my rating 2.5 / 5

Restaurant, there is a speciality restaurant ( creole food not my favorite so didn't go but the buffet restaurant was our only option...breakfast are always the same after 2 days you know what to expect the next morning for a four star Club med style rating you expect more...lunches are the same and dinner are terrible, I spoke with many europeans and they were unhappy with with....Club Med Turc and Caicos with a 3 stars was much impressive and Colombus was amazing but not Caravelle...one nignt we had B-B-Q night, everything was over cook and so hard to chew that you don't go for a second plate, another nignt we had langouste again the same thing....the presentation of the food is very important this is 50% of your dinner...you walk at the buffet and this is like walking in a school cafeteria.....night after night always the same no imagination from the staff....fill your plate and try to find something that you like...unfortunately this is not Club Med that I know......this is 2 stars Cuban hotel not CLUB MED. Unfortunately we were in rainy season and the mosquitos are home and hungry and this is not ideal for a nice dinner outside...the only thing that you want is the eat and leave after 3 nights we discovered a closed room where you can eat that was better.....if you are going bring your mosquitos products with you, Club Med store is asking 29 euro for a little can $40 dollars canadian.....this is 3 dollars can at Canadian tire....thanks Club Med for riping off the GM. If you are going don't try the chicken, pork, ducks,.steaks, if you want to try please make sure to have a dentist appointment our bring a very good knive with you...

my rating 1/5

rooms

We had the cheapest room ( the Club room promotion on the newspaper) so small that you can not roll your bag in front of the bed, if you opened the closet door then you can not go in the bathroom without closing it, the first day the shower drain was block, we called the reception the next morning they fixed it, we had ants of the floor and on the top of the frige all week long, the floor was dirty and it tooks 2 days before they cleaned it. towels one you have to 2 smals and 2 long one and the next day you get one of each our only big one, no kleenex for 2 days...we had to steal it from the cleaning cart in the hallway to get one....I think there is a laisser aller...lack of interest from the local staff that works at the Club Med and they have 30% of unemployment rate, this has an impact on tourist decision to go somewhere else ( domican republic, reviera Maya, Cuba )

my rating for my room 2/5

GO, they do whatever they can to please you but I didn't feel the same level of enthousiam then I saw in other club that I been to.
If you have kids then this is probably an interesting place for the family...

my rating 4/5

Overall my wife and I always promoted Club Med to our friends but I cab tell you that La Caravelle won't be and I hope that this is not what to expect in other Club Med in the future.....they need to establish high standard to be the place to go, the competition is there and they are aggressive....Club Med you need to offer something interesting and I am extremely disappointed of my last trip to La Caravelle and based on my discussions, I am not the only one....

overall rating 2.5 /5 and I am generous

Sorry for my bad review !!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AndreMontrealCanada
Reviewed June 12, 2007

We just recently returned from Club Med La Caravelle and it was, quite simply, fantastic. Our children are mostly grown, 16, 22, & 24 years old so the experience was quite different than taking smaller children, but from what I saw the families with younger children were having a great time as well. We went to Punta Cana last year and have been to Sandpiper, Columbus Isle (multiple times), Rio das Pedras, and Paradise Island previously and I would have to rate this as my best Club Med experience. I agree completely with the reviews by Petyot and Oracleboy so I will try not to repeat what they said, but provide my own perspectives.

My wife and I stayed in an Oceanfront Suite in the Grande Terre building, our sons stayed across the hall in a “garden view” club room and our daughter stayed in a single in Les Saintes. Our suite was fantastic, it was effectively the size of two club rooms and had a very nice bedroom and a fantastic shower on one side and a pullout couch, closets and the commode on the other. There are some wooden doors that can be closed to isolate the two rooms for privacy. It also had a large balcony. This room would be great if you had one or two smaller children since they could sleep on the pullout couch. We specifically asked for a room that was at the far end of the building to get away from any potential noise from the theater or beach bar and found our room to be very quiet. However, if you had a room in Grand Terre that was at the end of the building that is closest to the theater and wanted to go to bed before the show, it would likely be a bit noisy. Our room had good air conditioning with a controllable thermostat which kept the room temperature quite comfortable. While we did not see a Marie-Galant oceanview suite when we were there, our suite was great and I could not see how the extra expense of the Marie-Galant suite would have been worth it unless you wanted to go to bed early and have no potential noise at all.

Our son’s club room was small, though nicely decorated, and like the suite, recently renovated. There were some couples with babies at the club that apparently had a club room with a crib in it and they complained of the size. I know that my wife and I would not have been happy in the club room due to its small size. Our daughter’s room in Les Saintes was nice and was about the same size as the club room though it was a single room and fine for one person. Les Saintes is at the other end of the club grounds, past the Marie-Galant building and just below the GO building so is a bit isolated, especially when the club is less than half full. I did not go into rooms in the other buildings but the buildings themselves did not look as nice as Marie-Galant or Grande-Terre (or even Les Saintes).

The food was quite simply fantastic and an order of magnitude better than the food in Punta Cana. We did not go the specialty restaurant since the food in the main restaurant continued to please and amaze us at each meal. Given that we were a family of five, we had to take a table of 8 each day for lunch and dinner and invariably friendly GO’s would join us and practice their English skills. French was the primary language, and while it helped that I speak a little French, the GO’s went out of their way to make an effort to speak English to us and most of them welcomed the opportunity to work on their English skills.

There were shows every other night when we were there and the shows were quite good, especially the Moulin Rouge style show. On the nights that they did not have a show, they had other activities at 9:30 that were equally fun. While I only went to the nightclub once, my kids went quite often and despite the limited number of people in the club, it was still a lot of fun.

The activities are excellent at the club and we did many of them. While we did not scuba dive, it was available, though I think that there were days where no one signed up since the dive boat remained anchored for several days in a row. I strongly recommend the “power walk” to La Toubana. The view from the pool at La Toubana is amazing and well worth the walk.

The Club holds about 600 people and only 200 were there the first week that we were there and only about 140 on the few days that we were there the second week. While Gibus was on vacation and we did not meet him, the GO team was fantastic and went out of their way to make sure that we had a great time. We had a small problem with one of the rooms the first day and it was taken care of quickly and efficiently and we were asked at least twice after that if everything was ok.

We rented a car one day at the Hertz concession at the Club and drove around the mountainous other island, visited the waterfalls at Chutes de Carbet and drove up to the Bains Jaunes (the parking area for the hike to La Soufriere). While the attendants at the Chutes De Carbet entrance will tell you that it is an easy hike to the bridge where you can see the waterfall more clearly, and we all did the hike, it is not “easy” unless you are in very good shape and the trail gets quite slippery, especially since it rains frequently. The hike to La Soufriere is not technical but is not easy at all and I would recommend hiking boots, a day pack, and a waterproof warm layer of some kind since it gets fairly cool at the altitude and rains very frequently. The drive around the island is great though the drive up to the volcano and waterfall is on a small, twisty road.

I am not sure why more Americans do not go to this resort since it is a short flight from San Juan to PTP and then about a 45 minute cab ride to the club. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
13  Thank barrycosta
Reviewed May 9, 2007

What a great place! Awesome experience. The beach is beautiful, and of course topless. Mostly Europeans visit this resort, so naturally the beach has a French buzz about it. The facility was updated in 2006 so everything looks new. While I speak French, my family does not, yet that didn't get in the way of having fun. Most of the GOs speak english. Food was great. There was a show every single night. The tennis instruction is included and the courts were in great condition.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank NewYorker12
Reviewed April 29, 2007

We (husband, wife, two kids) just returned from this club and loved it. We'd been to a number of Club Meds when the kids were little, but hadn't been back for about five or six years. We heard this one was recently renovated and, in fact, it's beautiful! None of that Club Med tired grunge we'd experienced in previous places. We had adjoining rooms overlooking the beach and they were impeccable. Rooms had a small fridge, which we never used but which could come in handy with little ones. The restaurant was lovely - clean, spacious, cool, GREAT views and terrific food. Lots of fresh fish and fresh fruit, along with all that kid-friendly stuff. The staff wasn't in your face, like at some clubs, but was always friendly and helpful. The kids (15 and 11) didn't do the kids club. We all had fun hanging out - windsurfing, sailing, tennis, trapeze and the usual Club Med stuff. Hardly anyone spoke English, but everyone made an effort to find somebody if we had any kind of question. The weather was FABULOUS! I wish I were there now...

Stayed: April 2007
9  Thank AMomInConnecticut
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Overview

We are a family of four with children aged 4 and 7. This was our 7th Club Med having done Ixtapa last year, and Punta Cana in 2005. Vacations without our kids have included Sandals, Club Med (Columbus Isle, Cuba), SuperClubs and overseas options such as Trafalgar and Globus. As a business traveler I do about 130 flights a year within North America and stay at hotel chains such as Fairmont, Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood (Sheraton, W, Westin).

Our stay at Caravelle Club Med was fabulous and we would go back without hesitation - unlike our Club Med experiences at Ixtapa or Punta Cana. The Mini Club for our children was outstanding and according to both of them, they had a great time. The food during our stay was excellent. This resort was substantially renovated late in 2006 and as such our room was a few notches above the usual Club Med ‘spartan’ European flavour. It was nicely appointed and spacious. The beach is simply the best we have experienced in the Bahamas and Caribbean over the past 13 years. Given the relatively low cost for a family vacation in comparison to substantially more expensive options from offerings such as ‘Beaches’, we find the value to be exceptional.

In summary, at the end of our 12-day stay, we did not want to leave. While as a vacationing couple we normally default to higher-end, more upscale choices – we find Club Med to provide an excellent value choice for family vacations.

Details

Room

We opted for the beach facing rooms in the building named ‘Marie Galante’. As a family-oriented resort, this means you get a room for the parents and a room for the kids, which are adjoining. Each room is about 538 sq ft, which was quite spacious. The renovations were obvious and in particular the en-suite bathroom was very attractive with ‘his’ and ‘hers’ sinks and a shower that measured 4’ X 3’ – ie, you could fit a family of four in it! The linens and towels were very good and of the variety you’d expect from a 4-star hotel. The room also came with a balcony with two comfortable deck chairs, plus some small tables. The beach was about 50 yards away and the Marie Galante building was no more than a 30 second walk to the main restaurant and bar. This building has 3 floors and is connected to the main building housing reception, main bar, main restaurant, night club, theatre and common area. This comes in handy if it’s rainy and yet not too close such that any residual noise from the bar or nightclub does not become a factor.

Based upon our own reconnaissance of the resort, there are a variety of other room options that are not quite as appealing or spacious. As an example, there is the equivalent of what we had, but garden facing. Below that are smaller rooms with a pullout bed. Should you elect to go for a garden-facing room, be aware you may be viewing a maintenance shed or tennis courts as opposed to a ‘garden’. Bottom-line: if you can afford to stay in the Marie Galante building, the extra expense is well worth it.

Food/Restaurants

The food was simply outstanding. The main restaurant is well laid out with most sections being an open concept, ie. roofed but sides open to the elements/breeze. There was a fully enclosed section to the restaurant albeit smaller than the rest and rarely used. The open-concept eating area made for a very pleasant experience during any meal-time as opposed to the more cafeteria-like environment we had at Club Med Ixtapa. After 12 days, we never grew tired of eating here. The location of this restaurant was about 20 yards from the beach so most tables afforded a nice view of the beach and surf.

The food was the best we’ve ever had at a Club Med and rivals that of our experience at Columbus Isle. As usual, seafood options were extensive during the week but you could always get a slice of pizza or a hamburger if you so desired. Also, in typical Club Med fashion the fresh bread choices were to die for. Seafood choices are always a highlight but as for the beef, stay away if you’re from Texas or Alberta (as in our case for the latter) as their idea of good beef doesn’t measure up.

Caravelle also featured a specialty restaurant located at the far end of the beach, which was ideally situated. The dining area was intimate, tables well spaced out and the area as a whole looked out on to the beach and surf. Open-concept here similar to that of the main restaurant. The menu was a-la-carte with items such as catfish, lamb chops, seafood bisque and crème caramel for dessert. Reservations were required and made at reception the morning of the day you wished to dine.

My only knock on the dining side of things is the wine. While wine is included with lunch, dinner and at the bar, Club Med’s offerings are lame at best – particularly if you are a wine lover. Consequently, we either take our own with us or we purchase off-site and bring with us to dinner. What’s puzzling about Caravelle is that you can buy good French wine in the local stores for $5-$7 per bottle. You’d think Club Med would be able to offer something better in light of the cheaply available vino – afterall Guadeloupe is a French colony. I just hope someone from Club Med corporate reads this! Fortunately, Caravelle did offer an extra cost wine list which included wines from France, Italy, Chile and California. Costs ranged from 15 Euros to 100 Euros. We took advantage of this during dinners and found the selections to be substantially better, in particular some of the French reds.

Lastly, there was a beach bar that offered food items such as paninis, sandwiches and small pizzas. We ate here once and found the quality to be more than acceptable. The main bar area was a popular place to hang out and got very busy around 7 p.m. They set up some small tables and offered a variety of hors d’oeuvres at about this time every evening. Bar service was pretty good with the usual plethora of cocktails and other premium liquor drinks.

Mini-Club

Both our children were enrolled in Mini-Club for the 12 days. Mini-Club was available everyday except Saturday, which worked well because Saturday was our arrival day. Mini-Club had groupings from 4-7, 8-10, 11-13, 14-17. Total attendance was low for our first 7 days, which meant that they had all the kids in a single group, but for the remaining 5 days, attendance was very high and hence all age-groups were active. As usual, Mini-Club at Club Med is excellent with a large variety of activities from 9 a.m. till 5:30 p.m. and then again from 7 p.m. till 9 p.m. Our boys had a blast and were always itching to get to club every morning. Arranged activities for the kids included trapeze, trampoline, high-wire, archery, tennis, soccer, kayaking, windsurfing, swimming, beach, and sailing. Some activities were restricted to those aged 8 and older.

Mini-Club ran each day from 9 a.m. till 5:30 p.m. The kids then convened again at 7 p.m. for dinner followed by arranged activities until 9 p.m. The staff did an awesome job of looking after the kids and were very enthusiastic. In particular, Francesca from Italy did a great job of co-ordinating Mini-Club let alone the various age-group leaders.

Beach

The beach at Caravelle has to be one of the best beaches in the Caribbean and Bahamas. A statement that we’ve heard from others that have been here too. It’s steps from any of the rooms at the resort, extensive with many palm trees offering shade, beautiful smooth sand, and the water is relatively shallow for the first 25 yards from the beach. Additionally, Caravelle has a reef that protects the beach such that there’s no major surf regardless of the winds further out. There were days where the winds were quite high creating 8’ swells but had no effect on the main beach itself. Windsurfing was available on the east end of the beach and hence away from the calm part. This meant windsurfers were able to take advantage of the windy, east end while bathers and sun-worshippers could enjoy a relatively calm experience.

The only negative about the beach is that it’s a public beach and hence there were a small number of non-Club Med people using the beach during the day. There was also the occasional vendor on foot hawking swimsuits or hair braiding. However, both aspects were never overly annoying.

Activities available included sailing, kayaking, and windsurfing. Additional fee-based activities including scuba diving and jet-ski. My wife and I are both scuba divers and we ventured out twice during our stay. We did a total of four dives, which would by most accounts be considered average in quality. The boat for scuba was exceptional as was the scuba equipment, which was brand new.

Resort Miscellaneous

The resort is well laid out and fairly compact meaning that you could get to any part of it within a few minutes unlike some other Club Meds such as Punta Cana. The theatre, main bar, pool and main restaurant are all nestled together, and all only 50 yards from the beach.

Caravelle was built back in the early 70s and hence some of the architecture is indicative of that time period but the recent renovations quickly make up for this shortcoming. In particular the restaurant renovations have been great, plus the addition of a good pool. The pool doesn’t open until 9 a.m., which was a good thing as no one was able to lock-down a deck chair at 6 a.m. – an activity that annoyed us at Club Med Ixtapa.

Vacationers at Caravelle are made up of about 90% of French decent which can be bad or good depending on your perspective. We prefer the European dominance, as they tend to spend the bulk of their time at the beach. This meant getting a pool-side chair or access to a boat or windsurfer fairly easy in contrast to other Club Meds which were not European dominated. The downside is that nearly everybody speaks French only including most of the staff. Consequently my wife and I (Canadian) tended to eat meals as a two-some, which was fine by us. Many of the vacationers there who happened to speak English as their primary language also had a solid understanding of French.

Keep in mind that with the French/European dominance, topless bathing is the norm both poolside and at the beach. To the uninitiated or prudish this can be a bit off-putting. Vivre la difference !

For those on their departure day, the Club offers a nice changing room area near reception complete with lockers, his/hers showers and change areas. No charge is required and is very convenient if you have a late departure and want to maximize your remaining hours at the resort.

The gym sports a few treadmills, some universal weight machines, small weights and a stretching area. In addition, aerobic and yoga-type activities are offered at a nearby outdoor roofed exercise area.

Outdoor sporting activities available are archery, circus (trapeze), tennis (6 courts), volleyball, and basketball.

One feature that was valuable is that Hertz has an agent on-site and they keep a well-stocked variety of cars. Consequently renting a car is a snap with pick-up and drop-off right at the resort. It took all of a minute to walk to my rented car. Costs start at 60 Euros/day (inclusive of insurance, or $33 Euros without). The operation is independent of the resort and hence you will need to pay by cash or credit when you pick up your vehicle.

If you’re an avid golfer there is only one course available on the island, which is in St. Francois. It’s a Robert Trent Jones design although conditions can be a little suspect, as with many island courses the grass tends to be very dry. Fortunately given the course designer, the layout is somewhat challenging and offers a good variety of holes. Fairways were often dry and meager at best but half of the holes offered greens that were in reasonable condition. A round was 43 Euros and is worth playing at least once. The course was an easy direct 20-minute drive away. Slope rating is 125 and plays 6,500 yards from the tips.

The resort has an on-site photographer that roams about from Monday through Friday taking pictures of your kids and/or adults. Quality is very good and proofs are displayed on a computer terminal daily near reception. No obligation to purchase. Cost is reasonable and given that he’s taking shots of your kids while you’re perhaps sipping a Mohito by the pool, means that you’ve got a snap of your kid doing circus or archery.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
29  Thank StringMan66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Anne
La Toubana Hotel & Spa
Auberge de la Vieille Tour
Auberge de la Vieille Tour
#4 of 23 in Le Gosier
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Sainte-Anne

Been to Club Med La Caravelle? Share your experiences!