“The place is a dump”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pointe-a-Pitre
USA
“The place is a dump”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

The place is a dump in the middle of a deserted war zone. It is dangerous, unless you are inside the hotel. The rooms have only one towel, and they are always hot, the TVs are crap and very little space.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — non existent
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dublin
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Luckily we only stayed here for two nights before our flight home. As it's very centrally located it was ideal for our purposes but I wouldn't recommend anyone stay for any other reason. The room itself gave us many things to laugh about...the bed was extremely small for a double, causing my boyfriend to fall out of it at one point. The bathroom consisted of a cubicle with one side made of frosted glass affording a lovely view (pic attached). The shower was filthy and the room smelt like it hadn't been properly cleaned in years. The bedroom was barely big enough to open my case, yet alone unpack it. However, good points included a small fridge, adequate air-conditioning and well, that's about it. Staff were fairly ok to deal with. I couldn't say our experience of the hotel was terrible but I definitely wouldn't be staying there again for that price!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coco026

Travelers are raving about these Pointe-a-Pitre hotels

Riethoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed for one night at this hotel since it is ideally located for taking the ferry to Dominica (which we did the other day).
The hotel is located in a very quiet location. The rooms however are not much to talk about, very small and quite worn out with a noisy airco. Sufficient however for a good sleep.
Hotel price is quite high compared to the quality delivered, but it's one of the few options near to the ferry.

Breakfast is great! Buffet style, nice, fresh and large quantities.

Overall this hotel is a reasonable option for one night while being on transfer.

• Liked — Convenient location near to ferry terminal, breakfast
  • Disliked — worn out and very small rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank_Astrid
Europe
Reviewed February 7, 2008

The lack of bathroom doors is quite a unique solution. The lack of shower curtains also. The personnel is very inattentive, and yes, I speak good French, so cannot blame me for that either (and really, if I were rude to everyone who doesn't speak my mother tongue fluently, I'd spend my days raging at every tourist I meet). The breakfast is good, cannot talk about service during breakfast either... The problem is that there's not too much selection in Pointe-a-Pitre, so beggers can't be choosers, but would't recommend this hotel to anyone, if there were any other options.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Divenowworklater1
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed October 27, 2007

When one reviews a hotel property, some may require a step back to fully understand the property. This a gem of a place, set in an old building. It is clean, has an elevator, excellent a/c, great breakfast (almost like home) and the perfect location for a walking tour of the city or the port area. I was there to do some photography while island hopping. The hotel desk clerk suggested dinner at a small pizza place about three blocks away, the Voodoo Kitchen, overlooking the central downtown plaza. No voodoo there but great beer and excellent pizza. Central to a ATM and the city market. Before breakfast, I visited the market (two blocks down the quay) and watched locals set up their foods and goods with all sorts of fish and fresh produce and fruit!

While here, I walked to the ferry terminal (about 1/2 mile) and took a large high speed twin-hull boat to Marie-Galante for the afternoon. On my return, the hotel desk clerk suggested dinner at a small pizza place about three blocks away, the Voodoo Kitchen, overlooking the central downtown plaza. No voodoo there but great beer and excellent pizza. Central to a ATM and the market. Before breakfast, I visited the market (two blocks down the quay) and watched locals set up their foods and goods.

Only negative while Point-A-Pitre had nothing to do with the hotel but the travel to the hotel from the airport (PTP). I coordinated with the taxi dispatch AND the driver for a fixed rate for a two hour tour on the way to the hotel since I arrived early morning. Toward the end of the tour, as I pulled some Euros from my pocket, the driver started pointing to the meter which was double the agreed fee. I gave the driver the agreed amount and then he said, "No tip?" That was the only thing that I agreed on with him!

• Liked — historic property
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank photoguy66degrees
Exeter
Reviewed April 26, 2007

We sayed at this hotel durind our visit in August 2006 and fairly enjoyed our stay. We particulary loved the way we weret raited and the quality of service and accommodation that was provided were exelent so much that we are planning our next visit this august 2007

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank josgood
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 22, 2001

We spent one night at Hotel Saint-John in Point-a-Pitre. One guide book said it was the most comfortable hotel in Point-a-Pitre. If that`s true, we probably won`t stay in Point-a-Pitre again. Lots of wonderful places are way too close to put up with this crumbling place. This is right on the water across the street from the public market and across the marina from the boats to Les Saintes, Marie-Galante, etc. Secured building. Clean. It is probably the best situated hotel in Point a Pitre. We were there in July - low season. The building seemed pretty empty. Still, we got temperamental air conditioner and room light, one threadbare bath towel and one threadbare handtowel for two people, a missing panel from the bathroom so there was no way to close it off, a deep bathtub which would be wonderful for a bath except there was no plug, and a shower that wasn`t hooked up to the wall (probably because the missing wall panel was at the end of the bathtub). With one exception the staff at the desk was very unhelpful. There is a TV with one English-speaking channel which seemed primarily interested in European sports. Point a Pitre is definitely worth a day trip or two. But, if you want a modern big hotel, many big names are just down the highway in Bas du Fort or a little farther in Gosier. For those of us who want the real `island` experience, a gite or small town hotel is better.

37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe-a-Pitre
Hotel Fleur d'Epee
Canella Beach Hotel-Restaurant
Le Rotabas
Le Rotabas
#8 of 9 in Sainte-Anne

Been to Hotel Saint John Perse? Share your experiences!