“Not quite a resort, but perfect when you're on a budget”

Gem Holiday Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in St. George's
Couva, Caroni, Trinidad and Tobago
“Not quite a resort, but perfect when you're on a budget”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

A group of us from Trinidad went over to Grenada and spent the weekend. Lorraine at reception was very nice and helped us settled in. The rooms were okay, I won't consider the place a resort, but rather self contained mini apartments. The only issues I had was that the air condition unit wasn't working properly and that there was only one 110 voltage plug throughout the entire apartment. Other hotel staff were also very friendly and very willing to assist, example Otis the security guard who went beyond the call to make sure we were settled. There are several restaurant and bars in short walking distance and even a night club where we got in free as we were hotel guests, but Club Fantazia may not be everyone's cup of tea. We also got to use the pool facilities of the adjoining hotel Kalinago. Overall, our stay was good, I would stay there again but hopefully I get a room with a fully working AC unit.

Room Tip: Make sure you visit Gran Anse beach. Also the OWL, is pretty cool spot if you're interested in k...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Blessednelly16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Trinidad
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Myself and 4 female friends spent the weekend in Grenada at this resort (16-18 May 2014). Nice accommodation for the price. The word "Resort" in the hotel name may be a bit misleading. Was more a small apt than a hotel room. Adequate kitchenette and great use of space for living room, dining table and balcony. Garden view also had a view of the ocean which I loved. BBC beach - awesome. Front Desk Clerk Lorraine was so pleasant and made us feel very welcome even though it was 10:30 pm. Gems is connected to Kalinago next door so we were able to have a dip in their pool and use the swim up bar. Downside for me: Continental breakfast was not what I expected. Tea, Cereal, Toast & Jam and a small plate of fruit. We paid the extra 14EC for eggs and sausage. The nightclub, hmmmm. Will leave people to judge that on their own. Appreciated that the hotel called a taxi for us to go to Grand Anse beach which cost 30EC roundtrip. Awesome George went beyond the call of duty and gave us a mini tour. Generally we had a great time and its the perfect place for a peaceful getaway, especially if u plan to buy groceries and prepare your own meals.

Room Tip: Garden View rooms also have a view of the beach
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dianne323
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I spent 10 days at the Gem Holiday Resort. We were staying in the two bedroom apartment. The apartments were equipped with a full kitchen, which was perfect for s to buy groceries and cook out own meals. The beach (BBC) was absolutely gorgeous and tranquil, it was ideal for those who
want a quiet beach holiday or some R&R. If you prefer a beach with a little more action, Grande Anse Beach is less then a 10 min walk from th hotel. The staff were friendly and the service from Mrs. Moore the hotel Manager was extremely hospitable and she ensured all our needs were met.
Overall, great place to stay in Grenada! Beautiful beaches

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lyn W
Somerset, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I recently returned from my dream vacation at the Gem and on the top of my ‘to do list’ when I returned home was to write on how wonderful my stay was at this hotel. It is footsteps away from the beach and in my opinion is one of the most peaceful beaches on the island, absolutely stunning! To further compliment the beauty are the wonderful staff and managers. I have never met such friendly and welcoming people. My room was exceptionally clean! The cleaners are polite and know how to have a good laugh. The food at the restaurant is very tasty and the atmosphere is relaxing! I would suggest having the Lobster. It was so soft and succulent that I dreamed of having it every day, although my pockets can’t afford.
In terms of activities there’s so much to do. The staff is efficient in suggesting and organising different activities. I would suggest doing river tubing if you love water sports. Also visit the Westerhall Rum Estate. My trip was 100 % satisfying and I would be definitely returning to Grenada.
My experience is in quite contrast to M W from Penzance, United Kingdom, who stayed at the Gem in April. Note that I also stayed in April and have no complaints whatsoever. I am beginning to wonder if this person even stayed at the Gem. This hotel had NO bad odours; in fact the flowers around the area give it a refreshing smell. I thought I must point this out because I would hate for people to be put off by this comment because they would truly be missing out on a gem.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Sharon M
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Old and smelly room. I really don't mind old, but paying for the privilege of living with bad odor doesn't compute.
The photos online really misrepresent what you find on site. Don't chance it: if you wait until you're there, your option will be to waste a half day changing hotels, and paying a 3 night penalty for cancelling your booking.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank M W
alex_jasper, Guest Relations Manager at Gem Holiday Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
These clients telephoned on Wednesday 9th April requesting an early check in. We agreed to an express check in on the 10th April. They arrived and was given an express check in. After registration, they were advised that they had paid for a standard gardenview unit. I briefed them on the hotel facilities and took them to their room. On arrival in the room the male partner commented that the room was beautiful, I opened the balcony and went into the bedroom put on the air-conditioner and left saying “do enjoy your stay with us”.
The gentleman came into the office late evening on 9th April and said that he was checking out. My colleague asked why and he stated that it was not what he expected and that he would be checking out. My colleague asked him if he wanted to see a superior oceanview room, to which he responded that he had already made other arrangements. PLEASE REMEMBER THE ROOM WAS BEAUTIFUL, SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THEY CHECKED IN.
Kindly note that this hotel never charged the penalty and that there was no time spent trying to obtain another hotel, another lie. In fact these people joined their friends who were staying at another hotel within close proximity. THAT IS THE MAIN AND THE ONLY REASON THEY DECIDED TO CHECK OUT.
Please remove this vindictive, malicious and untruthful summary of the Gem. There are no odour in our rooms and we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms.
Signed
Loraine
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Exactly what we needed. The best location in Grenada and the best value too.

We lived in Grenada for 6 years and always stay here if we needed a hotel when we return. The palm-fringed Morne Rouge Beach is about 500m long and well protected and so perfect for kids and about 40m in front of the hotel (only their beach front bar between the sea and the rooms).

As always the staff couldn't have been more helpful, welcoming and friendly. Despite the large apartments (balcony, living room, kitchen, bedroom with double and single beds and bathroom) being more like self-catering size, they were cleaned every day with new towels and they even did our washing up (which we didn't expect).

Close to Grand Anse and a large supermarket it is easy to self-cater if you wish (cooker, microwave, toaster, kettle and all the bits and pieces you'd expect) but also close to lots of restaurants too. We think it is EASILY the best vale / location in Grenada and we'd strongly recommend it. You are also supporting a locally-owned hotel and not one of the expensive corporate chains. Rent a car and explore the stunning island too, you wont regret it.

Room Tip: 'Garden' rooms are much less expensive but still have a balcony with a view to the sea (~50m...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed March 25, 2014

First, I am writing this review for my wife who traveled to Grenada in March 2014 with some friends. Although the lodging wasn't what anyone would call 5 star, it was very nice especially for the price. Grenada is about 200 miles off the shores of Venezuela, so it was very warm/tropical even in March. My wife said that even though it was very warm, there was very little humidity. The beaches near the Gem were very nice and well maintained. She also said that the Gem's staff were VERY friendly and accommodating. I even wrote them an email asking them to arrange a massage for my wife as a treat and they were very happy to help!

Room Tip: Get the 2 bedroom apartment with kitchenette so you can buy food at the local market.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse
Grenadian by Rex Resorts
Grenadian by Rex Resorts
#1 of 1 in Magazine Beach

Been to Gem Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!