“Dream vacation”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in St. George's
Somerset, Pennsylvania
“Dream vacation”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I recently returned from my dream vacation at the Gem and on the top of my ‘to do list’ when I returned home was to write on how wonderful my stay was at this hotel. It is footsteps away from the beach and in my opinion is one of the most peaceful beaches on the island, absolutely stunning! To further compliment the beauty are the wonderful staff and managers. I have never met such friendly and welcoming people. My room was exceptionally clean! The cleaners are polite and know how to have a good laugh. The food at the restaurant is very tasty and the atmosphere is relaxing! I would suggest having the Lobster. It was so soft and succulent that I dreamed of having it every day, although my pockets can’t afford.
In terms of activities there’s so much to do. The staff is efficient in suggesting and organising different activities. I would suggest doing river tubing if you love water sports. Also visit the Westerhall Rum Estate. My trip was 100 % satisfying and I would be definitely returning to Grenada.
My experience is in quite contrast to M W from Penzance, United Kingdom, who stayed at the Gem in April. Note that I also stayed in April and have no complaints whatsoever. I am beginning to wonder if this person even stayed at the Gem. This hotel had NO bad odours; in fact the flowers around the area give it a refreshing smell. I thought I must point this out because I would hate for people to be put off by this comment because they would truly be missing out on a gem.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Sharon M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Old and smelly room. I really don't mind old, but paying for the privilege of living with bad odor doesn't compute.
The photos online really misrepresent what you find on site. Don't chance it: if you wait until you're there, your option will be to waste a half day changing hotels, and paying a 3 night penalty for cancelling your booking.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank M W
alex_jasper, Guest Relations Manager at Gem Holiday Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
These clients telephoned on Wednesday 9th April requesting an early check in. We agreed to an express check in on the 10th April. They arrived and was given an express check in. After registration, they were advised that they had paid for a standard gardenview unit. I briefed them on the hotel facilities and took them to their room. On arrival in the room the male partner commented that the room was beautiful, I opened the balcony and went into the bedroom put on the air-conditioner and left saying “do enjoy your stay with us”.
The gentleman came into the office late evening on 9th April and said that he was checking out. My colleague asked why and he stated that it was not what he expected and that he would be checking out. My colleague asked him if he wanted to see a superior oceanview room, to which he responded that he had already made other arrangements. PLEASE REMEMBER THE ROOM WAS BEAUTIFUL, SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THEY CHECKED IN.
Kindly note that this hotel never charged the penalty and that there was no time spent trying to obtain another hotel, another lie. In fact these people joined their friends who were staying at another hotel within close proximity. THAT IS THE MAIN AND THE ONLY REASON THEY DECIDED TO CHECK OUT.
Please remove this vindictive, malicious and untruthful summary of the Gem. There are no odour in our rooms and we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms.
Signed
Loraine
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Exactly what we needed. The best location in Grenada and the best value too.

We lived in Grenada for 6 years and always stay here if we needed a hotel when we return. The palm-fringed Morne Rouge Beach is about 500m long and well protected and so perfect for kids and about 40m in front of the hotel (only their beach front bar between the sea and the rooms).

As always the staff couldn't have been more helpful, welcoming and friendly. Despite the large apartments (balcony, living room, kitchen, bedroom with double and single beds and bathroom) being more like self-catering size, they were cleaned every day with new towels and they even did our washing up (which we didn't expect).

Close to Grand Anse and a large supermarket it is easy to self-cater if you wish (cooker, microwave, toaster, kettle and all the bits and pieces you'd expect) but also close to lots of restaurants too. We think it is EASILY the best vale / location in Grenada and we'd strongly recommend it. You are also supporting a locally-owned hotel and not one of the expensive corporate chains. Rent a car and explore the stunning island too, you wont regret it.

Room Tip: 'Garden' rooms are much less expensive but still have a balcony with a view to the sea (~50m...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed March 25, 2014

First, I am writing this review for my wife who traveled to Grenada in March 2014 with some friends. Although the lodging wasn't what anyone would call 5 star, it was very nice especially for the price. Grenada is about 200 miles off the shores of Venezuela, so it was very warm/tropical even in March. My wife said that even though it was very warm, there was very little humidity. The beaches near the Gem were very nice and well maintained. She also said that the Gem's staff were VERY friendly and accommodating. I even wrote them an email asking them to arrange a massage for my wife as a treat and they were very happy to help!

Room Tip: Get the 2 bedroom apartment with kitchenette so you can buy food at the local market.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Gem met all our needs perfectly. The rooms are very comfortable at a rate that is hard to beat. Everything is very clean and the kitchen adequately outfitted. The management is excellent. The location is great. I always feel so welcome in Grenada.
A couple of points; you need a car to get to the grocery etc..., it is an apartment not a hotel resort although you do get to use the facilities of the sister hotel Kalinago, there are a lot of steps so if you have mobility issues think again.

Room Tip: The garden view room balconies are more private and still have an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ttchin
Dagenham
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed at the Gem with my two daughters during the middle of August 2013 and it was a fantastic experience! The location of the Gem is great as it is located basically on the shore of a beautiful golden sand beach! What made this such a special holiday for us were the cleaness of our apartment, being able to walk to the beach and the friendliness of all staff, especially Velma who supported us in our apartment -thank you Velma. We found Julia, the manager and her husband Mr Moore, extremely approachable and kind. We appreciate that they did all possible to ensure we had a great experience at their resort.We shall be returning to the Gem when we visit Grenada again. Julia, we are looking forward to meeting you, Mr moore and your beautiful girls again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Claudette48
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent a week at The Gem and had a wonderful time. We were visiting family on the island during our stay but the staff at the hotel were very helpful in suggesting trips, evenings out and what to do. The service from the reception staff is faultless always helpful, knowledgable and make you feel very welcome. Our apartment had a sea view and was amazing at sunset. It was clean and had everything we needed. The air con is only in the bed room not throughout however, it's very powerful so if you leave the doors open the apartment cools down quickly.
The best thing was the location. Being so close to the sea meant we could go for a swim every morning. The sea was clear and full of fish. We were lucky to be the only ones on the beach most mornings.
The worst is the noise from the club but it only happened one evening during our stay and it was only a music sound not any troublesome behaviour.
I would recommend getting a car if not there is a good taxi guy that the hotel uses.

Room Tip: We had number 8. Good sea view if you go one level up its probably better
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
#5 of 11 in Grand Anse
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,053 reviews

Been to Gem Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!