“Great rooms, stunning location, patchy service”

Kalinago Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 St. George's B&B and Inns
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Great rooms, stunning location, patchy service”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Simply gorgeous location on the stunning Morne Rouge beach. We had a great room, quite colonial style and very large with beautiful views over the bay - amazing sunsets.

Unless you are happy just staying on the beach you absolutely need a car staying here, you are very limited on restaurant choice without too - the restaurants on the beach were expensive and not up to the normal excellent Grenada standard.

Sadly the service stops this hotel getting five stars from me. Apart from the barman and a couple of the ladies in the restaurant, the majority of staff were somewhat sullen and generally disorganised. We've spent a lot of time in Grenada and normally love the local style of service, a bit of chilled out slowness doesn't bother us at all. That said, this is a great hotel in a fabulous location. We would certainly return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Fi_UK_2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
London
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was a second stay at Kalinago - having stayed a couple of years ago - and it did not disappoint!

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a warm welcome, a fruit punch and a refreshing face cloth. I had to remind my friend (this was her first stay) that this was a 3 star resort with 4 star behaviour!

I shared a twin double bed room with a friend, which was pristine. The room was large enough to sleep four. The bedroom was clean, well decorated and very comfortable. The bathroom was clean with all the necessary requirements - clean towels, powerful hairdryer, good shower - with housekeeping maintained at a high level. If we needed anything extra - it was not a problem and arrived to our room quickly. The rooms have a/c, a fridge and wifi that actually works!

Breakfast was a delight! I ate the local food menu and was able to order off menu too. Bar snacks were fab - fried chicken was delicious! Bar service including the swim-up bar was excellent.

Staff were friendly and helpful - they recommended some trips upon enquiry which were good and not too overpriced. There was a beach towel service, with free access to snorkel equipment, canoes and life jackets.

Kalinago's location remains the best on the Island. I love Morne Rouge beach which is picturesque and peaceful. It is easy to get around the island from Kalinago and its a short walk to Grand Anse beach, the supermarket and shops.

Overall, another fantastic stay in this family run hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tinkerbell21London
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We married at Kalinago Beach Resort on 15th February 2014, it was a magnificent occasion as we had a number of family members over from the UK, USA, Canada and Trinidad. In relation to our wedding and preparation for it we could not have asked for more! Mrs Julia Moore was absolutely amazing, her unrelenting willingness to assist in the smooth running of our occasion was considerably notable. Having corresponded many of the arrangements via email we were naturally anxious that we would have a perfect wedding, we really had nothing to worry about. Mrs Moore and her team did an amazing job. Our wedding was on the BBC beach and our reception dinner was in Fidelis restaurant. The food was absolutely amazing and all of our guests were well fed. Equally the decor from the beach to the reception was truly beautiful. The rooms at Kalinago are to a high standard and the views are magical. Many of our guests stayed at the adjacent sister hotel Gem which was suitably adequate for boarding. Overall I cannot thank Mrs Moore and her whole team for making our wedding dream come true. I have nothing but positive comments to say and would certainly recommend Kalinago to anyone. From Mr and Mrs McLeod.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Chan McLeod
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Firstly this is my husbands account as I don't have one, but I felt it was important to write a review on this great little place!
This was my first time to Grenada and I was staying with my friend at her home in the mountains. After seeing this hotel whilst day tripping to our favourite beach Mourne Rouge (aka BBC beach), we decided to have a weekend break there. The staff from beginning to end were extremely friendly (as are all the Grenadian people!) and went out of their way to help us with everything from; sorting trips when ours failed to happen!, coming up with other options (off menu) to please my fussy friend at breakfast and a prompt service when asking for anything from more towels, to spare beach chairs. The rooms were comfortable, very clean, with nice soft beds and all of them have those great views of Mourne Rouge beach. There is also some great local bar food if you are in need of a light snack. The hotel also hosts special events, this is a chance to get to know other guests staying at the hotel. Due to it being a small hotel it makes the experience much more personal, which I took full advantage of and made some good friends in the few days I was there.
If its a great friendly service you are after (and lets face it this is becoming rarer these days!), in a great location, then don't hesitate. No it's not Mount Cinnamon or Spice Island, it is lovely local hotel, run by locals and that's what makes it great!
I have travelled for over two years with my husband in the past and lately with my kids to some amazing places such as; Islands in the Maldives, other Caribbean islands and The Whit Sundays but this is up there as one of my favourite spots. So much so...... I intend to bring the family next year to Kalinago to experience a truly great holiday!
I hope this review has been helpful choosing Kalinago beach Resort and happy holidaying in Grenada you will not regret it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank nick186299
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was our third trip to Grenada. We'd come to BBC Beach on earlier trips, when there were no buildings here -- but now the Kalinago is here, and we had a very happy visit. The resort is not fancy, but I mean that as a good thing: the rooms are very comfortable, the property is immaculate, the pool and beach are perfect, the restaurant is fine, and you are very close to lots of other beaches and restaurants and shopping. Staying here works best if you have rent a car, though, as it's a climb to get out of Morne Rouge Bay and over to Grand Anse and neighboring areas.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank finman66
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed at the Kalinago for a week in March 2014. I would highly recommend. It's right on the (fantastic) beach and all rooms have balconies with unobstructed views of the sea. It has a nice pool and good beach bar. The staff are super friendly. The Fidelis restaurant is pretty good also and they also run a weekly bbq on the beach which was very romantic.
I looked at many of the other reviews before settling on this place. Some have said the walk out of the resort is hard..well it's not easy but fine if you take it easy. To put this in perspective, my girlfriend was 6 months pregnant and managed it every day so it can't be too bad! Plus the reason the beach is so quiet is partly due to this slight remoteness.
The sea is very tranquil and easy for swimming and kayaking.
We personally preferred this to the main Grand Anse beach.
Would definitely look to stay here again if returning to Grand Anse.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
Victoria
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Kalinago for 3 nights at the end of a 2-week holiday to Grenada and Carriacou. The family-run hotel was lovely. Our rooms on the third floor were excellent - large, with an ocean view balcony and super comfortable beds. Because I dislike air-conditioning, I was very thrilled to discover that this hotel offers hotel rooms that have the option of air-conditioning or fresh air (provided by sea breezes that come through screened windows and an overhead fan). It was wonderful to be able to listen to the sea and feel the warm sea air all night.
The Morne Rough Beach is nice - seemingly more shallow and calm than Grand Anse beach. It would be a perfect beach for families. It is also a beach that many local people use on weekends to enjoy a picnic and day at the beach with their families.
The only drawback of this hotel is it's location. It's not an easy hike up the hill to get to Grand Anse Beach and the other restaurants and activities on that beach. But you can take a taxi from the Kalinago if the walk is too much. However, if you are looking for a lovely, quiet and friendly hotel the Kalinago fits the bill. And did I forget to mention the pina coladas? The bartender at Kalinago's beach bar made the very best pina coladas we had during our time in Grenada!
Thank you to all of the staff for a fantastic stay!

Room Tip: The third floor rooms give the best view. All are excellent.