“The place was absolutely beautiful and well maintained but....”

Grooms Beach Villas and Resort
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The place was absolutely beautiful and well maintained with lovely flowers and nice refreshing pool (but not cold) and a very distant view of the sea. The walk to Grooms Beach was not bad at all and there is a gem of a restaurant at the bottom of the hill, The Beach House (we loved it so much we ate there 4 times in two days!) We had a standard room, it was clean, well maintained, spacious and air conditioned and a good value with a small fridge. The shower was huge and we had plenty of hot water. The resort itself still needs to work on service. The staff was friendly but it was confusing as to who was in charge. We enquired about lunch and were told we had to request they stay open for lunch because the chef left if no one requested lunch. Also, while relaxing at the pool, the bar was not open until about 5:30 PM and then it seemed the bartender was uncertain how to bill for the drinks (we settled up on our last morning in the office but tipped the bartender 20% for each drink, we then noted they do charge the 10% service charge on the bill also—so we tipped about 30% all told). We also opted for in room massages due to a sign in the lobby that said 1 hr. massage $45. We had appointments at 10 and 11 AM however at 10:30 I finally went to the office to enquire if the masseuse was coming and they seemed confused (I think they forgot to schedule?). Finally at 11:30 (1.5 hours late) a masseuse arrived and I will say the in room massage was fabulous—but we were also charge $75 each which is much different than the sign stated. My husband went after me and paid her (I was at the pool) so I didn’t have an opportunity to question the $30 over charge for each massage (vs. what the sign in the lobby advertised. The resort was quiet and felt very private but I do feel they are missing out on monies to be made at the bar and lunch. We did partake in breakfast but my omelet was runny and I didn’t enjoy it. The saving grace of our experience here was The Beach House restaurant located on Grooms beach. We went there for lunch and dinner each day and it was by far the best place we found to eat in Grenada! This would be a great “base” hotel but don’t expect any service if you plan to lie around the pool and relax and I would note that the staff had a few of their children on site swimming in the pool so laps or quite time was not an option. Finally, there was A LOT of construction noise while we were there which hindered relaxation. I understand construction must be done but at peak season? (Christmas & New Year’s). Again, a great base, perhaps not a great place for the last two days of our trip to stay put and unwind after seeing the island and sailing in the Grenadines.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vacationloverOh

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a great stay at Groom's Beach. My only regret was not remaining there longer. The staff was great and the room was well appointed. The grounds were charming with little lizards running up and down the walls near the lovely gardens. The gardens are well kept and I really think they take good care of their porperty. We loved the large shower in the bath.
Everything was fantastic there.
I found the food to be quite expensive, but that seems to be the case throughout the hotels in Grenada. Groom's Beach food was a little better than some other places we ate.
I would stay there again and rent a kitchen unit, so I could make some meals as well as dine there at the resort.
The only thing I did notice was the bed was a little hard to sleep on. A softer mattress would make a huge difference in sleep comfort for us.
They cleaned the room on a regular basis. We did appreciate that a lot.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank City M
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We enjoyed our week here very much. Quiet and situated beside two lovely beaches. There is also a good restaurant on one of the beaches. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough to make sure our week was perfect. The rooms are very clean and well equipped and it was just right for us with the ability to make our own breakfast on our balcony and then eat out in the evenings either in resort or at the Beach House Restaurant. Very easy to get into St George's on the local bus which runs regularly at the bottom of the road. Would stay here again if back in Grenada.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elizabeth m
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed five nights in a 'deluxe' apartment in Grooms and we enjoyed it a lot. The room is spacious, comfortable and clean, although the title deluxe is maybe too much honour. The view from the room is ok. Our small balcony was directly above the small parking (not as romantic 'ocean view' as we expected, but indeed we could also see the sea (at a few 100 meters away). At three minutes walking distance from the apartment is a splendid beach. White sand, blue blue sea. And almost no tourists. We called it our private beach. Other facilities are far away. You need to take a taxi to get to the Grand Anse beach, the supermarket and to town, but that costs no more than 8 USD ( or so) and takes some 10 minutes (Grand Anse and supermarket). We didn't use the small pool, nor did we try breakfast, lunch and dinner at Grooms, although available. O yes, there are some posh restaurants around the corner (of which we tested one: don't make that mistake, read my review about La Luna....). Airport is more or less at walking distance, but we took a taxi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 365frequenttraveller
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My family and I( husband, 4yr old and a 1yr old) sent 3 nights and Grooms beach resort, the place was really lovely, we stayed in a villa which had a small kitchenette and a huge bed. The rooms were very spacious even though we had a baby crib. Because it was not peak season the resort was really quite. The pool was superb the kids really enjoyed it and the shot walk to the beach was not to bad either, the location could be tricky if you don’t have a vehicle so I strongly suggest that you get one because it’s quite a walk to the nearest grocery. The staff was very friendly and called us regularly to find out how we were doing. The rooms were cleaned daily. I would definitely visit Grooms again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Chinaka
Reviewed September 5, 2012

27 family members from the UK came together at Grooms in various villas, apartments and rooms. It proved to be an excellent choice. I liaised with the staff before our arrival to ensure each family's accommodation was suited to their needs and it could not have been more suitable.

The accommodation is clean, spacious and comfortable with maids coming in daily to clean, change bed linen, towels and even wash the dishes. It made a self catering holiday actually feel more like a holiday than it might normally with three children aged under 7 in our villa.

Adults, children and teenagers enjoyed the beautiful beach which we had to ourselves for most of the time, and the lovely warm pool.

We recommend the Beach House restaurant for a special lunch on the beach or adult dinner. Older children would also appreciate it. It is literally on the beach and just one minutes walk from Grooms.

The proximity to the airport is a real bonus and in no way affected our stay.

The staff and management team were welcoming, warm and professional. Miss Carol is the quietly efficient manager and when the wi fi in some of the villas wasn't working she arranged for an additional router for be installed which solved the problem. Nothing was too much trouble.

The Grooms team also organised hire cars for us which were great and we also used the very handy and cheap local bus service. Busses pass the end of the road constantly so there is never a long wait.

On our last evening the management organised a cocktail party for us with food and a local band. It was a lovely gesture and much appreciated.

Rena behind the bar makes great cocktails with a real kick and the children enjoyed making milkshakes with her too.

I recommend Grooms wholeheartedly. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Barnettdunmow
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here (I guess during the off season). When we called to make the reservation we wanted to make sure we could get breakfast, lunch and dinner at the resort. There was only one front desk person when we arrived and the restaurant was closed. There were no staff and for the two days we were there, there was no restaurant, no bar, no wifi-nothing. When my husband asked for breakfast in the morning, the front desk lady had to go into the kitchen to make him toast. The also claimed that you will have a fully stocked mini fridge, and it was completely empty (the fridge was not even plugged in).
I understand it is the off-season in Grenada, but there is no excuse to not have any staff at the resort. We should have been told at the time of booking that it would be an abandoned resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Magazine Beach
Kalinago Beach Resort
Kalinago Beach Resort
#2 of 20 in St. George's

Been to Grooms Beach Villas and Resort? Share your experiences!