“I'll go again”

and up
2 Tank Dive
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: ScubaTech is based at the Calabash Hotel, which nestles in the sheltered waters of Prickly Bay on the southern coast of the island. The hotel's jetty makes access to the dive boat easy and the location means that dive sites both on the Atlantic and Caribbean sides of the island are within easy reach. We have three full time diving instructors offering the complete range of PADI programs, daily dive excursions, non motorized watersports, sight seeing tours & sunset cruises. We offer the most individual service on the island, max 4 divers per Instructor/DM. We teach in English, French and German languages. Come and discover Grenada with your ScubaTech Dive Center.
Beckenham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'll go again”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I only started scuba diving last year and thoroughly enjoy it. When booking our holiday, I made sure it scuba diving attached. I could not have wished for anything better, Scuba Tech was on the beach. I did three sets of dives and loved every minute of it, either byself, with Ackie of course, or with others. Along with the locals, Sabine and Jochen are obviously very experienced and a great helpl. I would recommend them to anyone, along with the great hotel.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Brunei49

Ventura, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Scuba Tech Grenada "ROCKS!"”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Scuba Tech has taken my diving to a whole new level. Wether we were night diving, drift diving, or wreck diving; I felt 100% in good hands. Their staff is friendly, professional, and accommodating. I even got Nitrox certified. so if you are ever in Grenada, definitely look up Scuba Tech for an unforgettable diving experience.
Chris
S/V Blue Wind

london
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A professional and fun place to dive”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have been diving for 20 years and 3 years with ScubaTech in Grenada. These guys are so good at what they do and the waters around Grenada are beautiful. Wonderful waters, sea life and wrecks. Jochen and Sabine are utterly professional as well as welcoming and gracious hosts (above and below the waves). Sao the Captain is a celebrity! The kit is modern, in great working order and comfortable. We also took our young children to Fish Friday with ScubaTech and it was a blast! Do NOT believe the negative review here please. I have no affiliation with ScubaTech but these are good guys and I highly recommend them. There was only one person to blame for his perilously low air and that was the diver himself. Any dive master would insist a diver ascends with such low air. Dangerous and irresponsible!

1 Thank Lovingholidaysuk
Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't go scuba diving here.”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I just got back from scuba diving with Scubatech. At first It seemed really nice, everyone was very friendly. However, the boat they have would only do ok on a lake, definitely did not do well in the Atlantic. It fits about 6 people comfortably. Also, what they don't tell you, is that you dive one site, then have to go all the way back to the dock for another tank, because the boat won't fit 2 per person, wasting a lot of time. We left at 9am and weren't done until 2pm for 2 dives.

What's most concerning to me is on my second dive at Shark Reef, I was taking a picture of an eel when one of the guides, Aktai, comes up and grabs hold of my air pressure gauge, unbeknownst to me. I start to move and get yanked backwards. The guide starts tugging me to the surface and starts motioning for me to take his reserve regulator. I check my air as I did 2 minutes before and it;s still 300 psi. I shake my head no and he in insists I take his reserve. When I put his reserve reg in my mouth, he starts to twist and swim away from me! I understand being conservative and safe when diving, but was always taught you don't take someone's reserve unless you are out of air. It's pretty concerning that their so-called master diver would do this. Then we had to sit on the boat and get sea sick waiting for the rest of the group.

There are also some people who apparently go to Scubatech a lot that consider themselves a local of Grenada, even though they come down for about a month out of the year. They make you feel bad and belittle you for simply being there on vacation. One of the women even grabbed by husband's tank and air gauge on a dive, acting like a guide, but still not sure why she did that. She was an extremely obnoxious know it all.

Having gone with each of the major dive companies in Grenada, I would recommend Dive Grenada. Aquanauts isn't very professional and the guide we had was a jerk. We had heard good things about Scubatech (it had the highest ranking on here), but were overall really disappointed, especially because it is the most expensive.

5 Thank KLM2017
ScubaTechDiveCenter, Owner at ScubaTech Grenada, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear KLM2017,

Thank you very much for your review. We are always very thankful for constructive criticism and we would like to comment on some of your points.

1. Our boat is a 32 ft. Bowen Pirogue, registered and certified as a dive boat by the Grenadian Port Authorities. This make and size of boat is a very popular dive boat and the choice of 4 out of 6 dive centers on Grenada (e.g. Dive Grenada).

2. We pointed out in the check in conversation that our 2 tank morning dives will take from 9.00 to app 1.30 / 2.00 pm and that the second dive site will be Shark Reef. Before the boat was leaving we named the dive sites and mentioned that the boat will come back in between the dives.
We could have got all tanks on board and stayed out on the sea to do the surface interval. But Shark Reef is only 5 minutes from the dive shop and we decided to go back to the shop for your convenience instead of doing the surface interval in the Atlantic. You mentioned by yourself that you get seasick.

3. Ackie, our dive master, took your SPG to show you that you were down to 300 psi. He initiated an immediate ascent with you as you were still on 50 ft. and virtually out of air. We tell all our divers in every dive site briefing to signal once they reach 750 psi to make sure we can ascent to 15 ft to do a 3 minute safety stop. There was no signal from you.

4. It is promoted by every training agency to change to an alternate air source before running out of air. This reduces the risk of panic and drowning as well as leaving you enough air in your tank to inflate your BCD at the surface.

5. During your scuba diving training you learned how to swim with your air donor to ensure that the air source stays in your mouth even if you or the buddy is moving. It is very common that people forget certain procedures if they are not diving regularly. Even though our dive master took the appropriate action we understand that this might have been an irritating situation for you.

6. As a rule the guests coming up earlier due to air consumption (in the present case after 35 min) do have to wait on board till all divers are back. The dive master brought you safely back to the surface and the other divers finished their dive with the second dive guide.

7. The other divers you are mentioning in your review are cruisers who live on their sailing yachts and spend 4 – 6 month every summer on Grenada as it is a lot safer during hurricane season down here than on the northern islands. They are happy to share their knowledge and stories about Grenada with others. Of course it can happen that you meet someone (on a boat, on a flight) whose personality you don’t find very appealing. However, we cannot be accountable for the conversation topics of our guests.

8. The woman who approached your husband happens to be a professional dive master. She signaled him that his SPG and his alternate air source are dangling in the reef. As there was no reaction from your husband she attached both pieces of equipment to the BCD to prevent damage on equipment and reef and free flowing of the alternate air source. In order to do that she was holding on to your husband's tank. We are sure she just wanted to be helpful and did not intend any offense.

We are very sorry that we could not live up to your expectations. All the same we hope we could help to allay your doubts about diving with ScubaTech.

Sabine and Jochen Lenz
Scubatech Dive Center
NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hooked on Scubatech”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Scubatech is the reason we still daydream about Grenada. Underwater with Scubatech is where it is at, my friends. From my first snorkeling experience, an open sea boat adventure to feast on the culinary delights of Fish Friday in Gouyave, to enjoying a sunset cruise and all of your hospitality, it was a blast. The staff of Scubatech- Jochen, Carsten, Sabine, Captain Sao, are all fantastic hosts and even better people. It goes without saying their professional expertise is unparalleled, but they offer it with the most personable appeal one could want. We loved swapping stories with all of you and learning the in's and out's of a fantastic lifestyle. The waters we dove and snorkeled in were top notch and you certainly know where the best dive spots around the island are!! The best part about our dive was that there were 4 instructors and only 6 of us diving/snorkeling. Pretty much 1 on 1. We also loved the gratis adult beverages and hors d'oeuvres for the trip to and from fish friday. Wish we hadn't needed to catch a plane the next day! We miss island life immensely and look forward to getting back. Hopefully, it will be soon.
To future Scubatech-er's: Captain Sao is a celebrity; traveling to Gouyave with him is like going to a rock concert with Bono.

Nick & Susannah NYC