“High standard, delicious,romantic, impeccable service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“High standard, delicious,romantic, impeccable service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

For any special night, dress up and go there- a 5 star service, food and experience, next to the beach. super elegant.

Visited April 2013

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Oliver's restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We were guests at the hotel and I believe it also has an evening dinner service for paying customers, expect a warm greeting on arrival escorted to a table and offered a proper 5* not overly fussy service.

There is a dress code but this did not seem to be enforced much and I include a quote from a hotel email I received.

"After 7pm, the dress code is elegant evening attire, excluding shorts and sleeveless tops for gentlemen. As a gentle reminder, Spice Island Beach Resort is a completely smoke-free resort. Smoking will not be allowed in any area of the resort. Guests can only smoke off property"

I was pleased to see they have listened to the poor reviews and they have obviously made some changes. It is difficult to please everyone so they have simplified the menu to a bread selection, an amuse, a sorbet and 2 or 3 choices of soup, salad, main and desert, this all changed everyday and they put a huge effort into the food (everything seemed to be made in house inc bread and ice cream). Portion sizes looked ok to me as I never managed all 7 courses.

Service was good for me, probably 10-15mins waiting time, it was possible to order as many or few dishes as required and if that was not good enough the manager personally met with us most evenings for a chat and made a point of saying we should ask for something different if desired.

I am lost for words and have no idea how this could be improved further!

We stayed all inclusive so didn't pay but the price in the menu was $75USD plus service and tax (and I presume its plus drinks) my guess is it would be about $110USD or £80GBP each all in.

This is obviously an expensive meal so its probably going to be for a special occasion.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank chris w
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Mixed views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

The restaurant was lavish, the staff attentive and polite, but we have mixed views on the remainder. There are two "set" menus - three courses for $45 or seven for $75. But these are US dollars, and before the addition of Service (which is added on automatically) and VAT. The final price, even for the "cheaper" option, was our most expensive meal in Grenada. Displaying prices like this nowadays is not the done thing and really should be outlawed.

As for the food - excellent in parts (and these were really small parts i.e. small portions). For example the tiny fish terrine starter was ordinary.

So try it once to see what all the fuss is about and then go to another restaurant to have a proper meal.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
United Kingdom
“Exceptional!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had a few doubts over this place, having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, where it seemed to have gone 50-50. We were celebrating a birthday and decided to go check the place, the menu and price as this was not available online (something the management can do to improve adverts and attract more customers!). The management was very warm to us, and that definitely allowed us to choose to go there. We hadn't made up our minds yet, as there was a 7 course meal at a slightly expensive price, and a teaser of the 7 course meal, which was a 5 course meal at a much cheaper price. They gave us a contact number and said we can call if we still want to come, or just walk in before 9.00pm. After a few hours, we decided we would go back and share a 7 course and a 5 course meal between the 2 of us. We got there, and there was a nice warm ambient light, only 3 tables taken and we were walked to the end of the room, where it was quieter. We started off with a piece of bread that you get to choose from 4 different kinds (white, wholewheat, carrot and olives) and butter with herbs. We ordered 2 fruit mocktails, which were good. We were served a piece of Coocoo with sweet chili sauce - it was amazing, I wanted more! My starter was a Trio of Flying Fish, each prepared differently - the fish cake was a 10/10, and presentation was very well done! Next was a Seafood Chowder, which was pretty tasty as well. At that point I was already full, as the chowder was a big plate! Then we moved on to an Orange Sorbet, which sadly lacked a bit of taste - it was a bit too watery and had melted a bit before being served. Main course: Roasted Beef Tenderloin - probably one of the best meals I have ever had, and definitely the best beef I have tried - it was juicy, it melted in my mouth, almost as soft as the mashed potatoes that it came with. On to desserts, and I picked the Dark chocolate Souffle, which sadly had already popped, just like in a previous review. It was my first ever souffle, but it tasted like heaven! Lastly, I ended the night with a brewed Coffee, and it was quite nice. Now, during the whole evening, there was a band playing and with a few romantic songs at time for a pleasurable evening. Service was 10/10 - everyone had a smile on their face and attended to us multiple times asking if we needed anything. We exchanged some local stories with them too, and it felt very friendly. Food came very quickly, too quickly at times as I wished I had more time to let the food in my stomach sit for a bit. Now to top it all, I was in touch with them by email since a day before, and I had asked if they had anything special that they can make for one's birthday - they said they would take of it - and they sure did! After our desserts, I was myself doubly surprised to see this beautiful round chocolate cake, with Happy Birthday written on a marzipan top, with a candle to reach our table - I had completely forgotten about my request, hence my double surprise!! We couldn't touch it, as we were so full, so we asked to wrap it up for home. We asked for the bill, and we paid £100 including tax and service charge - we were not charged for the cake!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank FazzersN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An unfinished masterpiece”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

First let me say, my companion and I very much enjoyed our dinner at Oliver's.
Thus far it is easily the best dining experience we have experienced in Grenada.
Why then " unfinished masterpiece"?
The devil is in the details. First- the minor.
The white ice lemon sorbet lacked a garnish
of lemon twist to make it more appealing.
The restaurant is overlit by too many fixtures housing energy saver fluorescents.
Fewer lights or dimable halogens are called for.
Both of our chocolate desert souffles arrived collapsed. Not enough filling inside to support the top.
Taste however was excellent and the accompanying home made cinnamon ice cream was heaven on a plate.
The appetizer of Mahi Mahi on a breadfruit rissoto was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
Full marks too for the mains.
Just a few small brushstrokes and Oliver's could be a true masterpiece worthy of the price the menu commands.
I would gladly recommend it especially when I compare it to much lesser restaurants in the area.
Overall 4 stars.