“The Nutmeg is not what it used to be”

The Nutmeg Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 202 Restaurants in Grenada
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bermuda
“The Nutmeg is not what it used to be”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have been coming to Grenada for over 20 years and always visited the Nutmeg for rum punches, food and the view of the Caranage. Two years ago we noted that the service had become less friendly and efficient, in July 2012 we visited again and noted that the place was empty (there was a time when you had to wait for a table) and last week we made another call at the Nutmeg and,again, found it empty (and this is in high season) we ordered rum punches which were nothing more than some fruit juice with several splashes of Grenadine - I'm sure the rum bottle did not go anywhere near the glasses!! It is such a shame as the Nutmeg used to be the 'to go to place' on the Carenage but I fear it may not be there much longer if someone does not take it over and improve the service, food and drinks.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank D0t24

Aberdeen
“Nice spot for a cold beer”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Nice place, with a view over the carnage, for a cheap, cold beer before you catch a ferry. Didn't try the food though.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank u01fw3
British Columbia
“One of my worst meals ever”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

On our first day in Grenada we went to Nutmeg for lunch. It has a wonderful location on the Carenage and a breezy ambiance that's totally enjoyable. My husband had eaten there on a previous business trip and found it excellent. However the day we were there it was downright terrible! My husband ordered a chicken roti and I ordered the callaloo lasagne, which sounded like a nice local wrinkle on a North American standard. My husband's meal featured a stale roti filled mainly with potato and almost no chicken. My food failed to arrive at all and when we enquired we were informed that they didn't have any lasagne today. I'm not sure why our server didn't disclose this early so I could have ordered something else. At any rate, I ordered a fish basket with chips and what I got was nearly inedible: cubed fish that was fried to the point of being hard, dried out and leathery, with ill-prepared French fries from a frozen package (not sure how they could screw that up, but they did - the fries were undercooked). My husband compained about his roti and was told it was not stale, but was a "different variety". I didn't have the heart to complain about my meal - it was just too awful to know where to start. We also observed a couple at the next table complaining about their order. It's not a restaurant we would ever go back to untill the management changes, but given the poor quality of the food and the inept service, I can't think they're going to last very long.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Cat_n_Mouse
Grenada
“Great View!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I tried the chicken sandwich and it was okay. Fantastic view of the waters of the Carenage where the restaurant is situated.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Christal R
Barbados
“Avoid if you can”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent 2.5 hours to get a sandwich which had no flavor... The nutmeg conch burger/sandwich. The coke zero was very cold though.

Visited October 2012