“The most stress-free and relaxing week of my life :)”

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Edmonton
“The most stress-free and relaxing week of my life :)”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at this resort from February 19-26, and we absolutely loved it! This is our second time staying at an all inclusive, and our previous experience made us nervous as to what to expect this time around. The Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa was absolutely amazing!

We arrived at our hotel room, and were completely amazed. It was not the hugest room, but we had a king size bed, beautiful bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a balcony with a stunning ocean view. We also arrived to a bottle of rum on our bed, a basket of fresh fruit, and a letter welcoming us and thanking us for staying there for our anniversary. It was definitely a nice touch and made us feel right at home :)

The weather was BEAUTIFUL! It was usually around 30 degrees outside. The grounds were emmaculate, the pool was nice and the beach was great. We usually stayed by the pool however, because the beach, as nice as it was, did have lots of large bees flying around.

The food at the buffet was really good. I wasn't as impressed with the a la carte restaruants though... if you don't like seafood like me, you don't have a lot of options. There was always tons to choose from at the buffet though, and they switched up the food everyday.

The staff was great! They were all really friendly people, and even though it was hard to communicate sometimes, they still tried really hard, and were always doing whatever they could to make us happy.

If you plan on going on any excursions, you should check out the National Park, Los Haitises. It was worth the $100 we paid for it. We went through Air Canada Vacations. Speaking of Air Canada Vacations, if you do book through them your representative will be Joel. He is super helpful and gave us tons of tips on what to do... once again, excellent service!

We went to this resort for our first anniversary and we definitely will not forget it. I definitely reccommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice, relaxing and stress-free getaway.

1 Thank kmrob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Calgary
Reviewed February 27, 2011

My wife and I along with our 3 year old daughter had a mostly enjoyable week at this resort in February 2011. Our goal was to have a relaxing week of sun and beach with no plans to take in any of the area's excursions or night life so I won't be able to comment on those areas of a vacation to Cayacoa or to Samana.

The bus ride from the airport was about an hour for us. The scenery was beautiful but bumpy and windy. Our first night was spent on the fourth floor just above the lobby bar and after a long couple of flights and a few hours time change we ended up trying to settle in early. We din't have much luck with the music from the bar being pretty loud from 8 until 9:30 or so. Ironically this would the mini-disco that our daughter would love later in the trip. We talked to the WestJet Vacations rep Germano who helped us switch to a beautiful room up on the hill in the Villas Loma. We highly recommend a stay in these units if you are looking for a little more space and relaxation with your acommodations. A lot of walking to and from but worth it for us.

The beach was really nice with almost no interuption from vendors and the pools were lovely with a high energy animation team helping to keep things fun and light. At the pool and the beach though there is only a self service bar and the snack bar is a accessible from only one of the pools a bit of a walk and many stairs from the other areas. At Cayacoa we missed the server staff and better snack options of other resorts we have been to.

The resort staff and their attention to detail was not up to the same level we have seen in other resorts either. The animation team around the beach or main pool was enjoyable and well trained but the remainder of the resort staff didn't match up to other experiences we have had. There were noticeably less smiles and a slightly less approachable vibe that we noticed than other places we have been.

In the town of Samana there is a decently stocked market store with food and beverage much more affordable if you are looking for snacks and drinks in you room and we had our best meal of the trip at a restaurant called Mata Rosada.

Over all my family had a really nice and relaxing vacation but this experience only seemed to highlight the even better job that many resorts do throughout the caribbean. We won't be back to Cayacoa.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
folkestone
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The start was wonderful. We went through all the hotel 'check-in' procedures on the coach from the airport and so all we had to do was arrange the room safe and we were ready to go when the bags arrived - after about three minutes. I had originally considered booking a suite but the room was very spacious and the balcony an absolute delight to sit on. The bed was so big that it felt that my other half was almost in a different post/zip code and I had trouble hearing her if she was facing the other way. The air-conditioning was excellent and made sleep easy at night.
The overall impression of the place was that it was new, well cared for and that the staff took a great deal of pride and trouble regarding their hotel.
The food was of a very high standard and the staff were both attentive and ever helpful. The themed resteraunts were great although it seemed a bit strange that, for example, there were more meat dishes available at the "Fish" resteraunt than there were fish dishes. However, the quality of the food was very good.
People have mentioned getting around the site but this was no problem once I had asked the local staff how to do it. (Our holiday rep completely faild to do this).
The entertainement team was very good during the day and kept things moving along but also gave those of us who wanted to just lie back and soak up the sun the opportunity to do so.
The only problem area that we came across was the pool and in particular the pool bar - although this ctiticism is more of the guests than the staff. On more than one occassion guests were allowed to get very drunk - and I mean very - at the pool bar and once two of them didn't just fall asleep but passed out through alcohol consumption and coulld have suffered serious consequences themselves. I also dread to think what they might have done in and around the pool. It is asking a lot for the barman to say "No" to serving more drink but perhaps management should be a little more obvious and be willing to say that enough is enough.
On a similar theme on a couple of afternoons a large group of people took over the pool area and had no consideration for their fellow guests. One of the entertainment team eventually just gave up trying to fulfill his role because these people decided that they would do what they wanted and hang the rest of us. Speaking with the member of the team afterwards I know how frustrated he was. Again, management must take some responsibility to try and control the guests.
The free transport service to town was fine but I felt that the Pueblo Principe area of shops etc where you were dropped off was a high priced rip off.
All that said we plan to go back again for the same three weeks in 2012. Enough said!

2 Thank readersFolkestone
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Me and my girlfriend left Gatwick on the 9th Feb 2011 to stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa for 2 weeks. Not sure what to expect as had read mixed reviews and looked on google maps and the hotel wasn't even there...

After the quite tedious and boring 9 hour (ish) flight we landed in Samana Airport to which was small, tidy, well kept, and we made it from the airport to the transfer coach in under and hour. The only thing we really had to wait for was to pay the US$10 arrival tax and sort out or visas.

The transfer took aroung 45-55 minutes. Air-conditioned coach, the rep (we booked with Thomson) was a British lady (Laura) very informative about the area, the local town and its people. At this point the holiday had got off to an amazing start,

We came onto the hotel complex and were greeted by 2-3 of the hotel entertainment team welcoming us by way of a song and dance (literally) which was a nice unique touch. We had already been given room keys, towel cards etc etc on the coach so no need for us to wait in the reception and queue to check in, also an added bonus as we just wanted to get the holiday started. By now we both know the next 2 weeks will be brilliant.

The food in the Buffet was amazing. Great variety for each and every person, beautifully prepared, well layed out, the eating area was nice and spacious and cool. Themed nights also were on the "menu", Spanish, Italian, Mexican, International, Gala and a few more.

We stayed in the Hill Villas, these are situated just outside the main complex which offers a great view of Samana town, a busy, buzzing little old town. We had a queen size ben, Shower, Jacuzzi Bath, Satelite TV, Mini-bar which was refilled everyday FOC (in the All Inclusive Package). We had a provate pool we shared with the 5-6 other small villas around the area.

The main pool was also just as pleasant. Activities included Stretching (in the morning) Water aerobics, Bingo (prizes included T-Shirts, Rum, Coffee, Coco Leaf hats) volleyball and more. The entertainment team really made the holiday the touch more special. During the day they would come around have a laugh and a joke with you, speak about anything, really just put a smile on your face and make sure you're having a great time. The pool bar was also lovely, the bar people make a wide variety of cocktails there and then, draught beer is available, soft drinks "virgin" cocktails for the kids, soft drinks.

The Beach is situated just down from the main pool area, via the panoramic elevator which gives an amazing view as you descend onto the golden sands wish the decked bar area, sun beds with palm parasols, and the free use of the water equipment, pedalos, snorkeling equipment, windsurfing gear.

I dont know what else I can say apart from that is was Flipping amazing. The location, the people, the whole package was the best 2 week holiday i have had. Fact.

Hope this review persuades more people to go to this ideallic place.

Also 3 A La Catré resturants... Seafood, Gourmet and Italian

4 Thank YanSolty
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 23, 2011

This is my second tropical vacation, and both times, I used Gran Bahia Principe (GBP) resorts. The first time was Coba in Mexico (I posted a review on this site). It wasn't a perfect experience, but good enough for me to use the same chain this time around. Cayacoa was pretty good, but I'm ready to move on to a different chain of resorts now.

GBP has four resorts in the Samaná area - Cayo Levantado, Cayacoa, El Portillo, and one named simply Samaná. We went with a special (cheaper) option called Roulette, which randomly assigns you to one of the last three I listed (Levantado is on an island, more expensive, and from all accounts, very nice but not quite worth the extra cash). Luckily, we got our first choice.

ARRIVAL

Thanks to past experience, we were able to dodge tip-seeking luggage helpers at the airport. The resort is about an hour away. We travelled with Air Canada, which yielded a few worthwhile perks. Our Air Canada Vacations representative, whom we had access to a few hours every day, was named Joel. He was fun, and he gave an extremely helpful orientation session our first morning at the resort. He's been a resident of the area for a long time, so he's a good source of inside information. He gave us some of the advice you'll find in this review.

ROOMS

We had a room in the main building. There are smaller villas on a lower level of the resort, but they're far from everything, and you either have to climb a lot of stairs or wait for a shuttle to reach the main areas. They have a beach down there, but it's kind of ugly, and the ocean floor there is slimy (the main beach is much nicer).
Our room was clean and unremarkable, with a balcony. There is a coffee maker and a tv. When we entered, we thought the power was out. Turns out there's a slot on the wall where you're supposed to insert your key card to make the electricity work. I suppose the idea is to save GBP money on their electricity bill when you're not in your room. We didn't like that, though, because it meant the mini-fridge stopped keeping our drinks cold. We discovered that it doesn't matter what card you insert into that slot, so whenever we left the room and weren't having the room cleaned, we shoved some other card in there and it worked. The mini-fridge is stocked daily with sodas and beer, but no snacks, regrettably. The bath can be turned into a loud, somewhat unsatisfying whirlpool. Every day, we left the maid a dollar tip on each bed. If you want new towels, put the used ones on the floor. I didn't see any bugs.
Problems: the toilet water kept running and having to be fixed, and my partner thinks he got bit by some bedbugs (I didn't in my bed). The beds are very firm (which is too firm for me because I have chronic rib pain). We were near a loading dock, but this didn't bother me. What annoyed me a bit more is that we were also next to the area where the "animation team" did their thing every evening. The noise wasn't really the issue; it was the corny song selection that made me want to throttle them ("Chicken Dance", anyone?). And there's nothing wrong with "La Bamba" or "Stand By Me", but if I never hear them again, it'll be too soon.
We had seen pictures of ocean views, but didn't get one. We still had a nice view of the town of Samaná across the bay (see my photos). Being able to see a town from our room helped diminish the artificial atmosphere resorts have. For the record, if you want an ocean view, these are the rooms you want, starting with the most desirable: 501 to 510, 401 to 410, 301 to 310, 201 to 210, 511, 512, 513, 411, 412. The lower rooms might have trees blocking the view.

FOOD

This site doesn't let you rate the food, for some reason. I'd give it two-and-a-half stars. The main restaurant serves typically mediocre buffet fare. It's not a good sign when I'm looking forward to the Jello. The exception is the made-to-order omelette you can get for breakfast, which I recommend. The scrambled egg tray is disgusting (see my photos). There are also two snack bars, which serve buffet-quality food. The one that's open at night is near the lobby. You order from a menu for that one. The daytime one (located in the lower portion of the resort) is self-serve. Stay away from the burgers.
There are three à la carte restaurants. Because we were with Air Canada Vacations, we got four dinners at those instead of three. You have to book those dinners in the lobby, and I strongly suggest doing so your first morning there if you want to have options. These restaurants were disappointing. The portions at all of them were tiny, and the food underwhelming. The Italian restaurant's version of chicken parmesan is basically chicken fingers in mushroom sauce (see my photos). The second time, I had lasagna, which was much too salty. I had steak at the seafood restaurant and it was average. The beef carpaccio and the pepper beef I had at the Orquídea "gourmet" restaurant were quite good, though. (If I went back, I'd book all my dinners there.) The desserts were all bland, no matter how pretty they were. I suggest trying to space out your restaurant reservations, to prevent buffet fatigue.

BEACH

You take an elevator to get to the beach, which gives you a great view of the ocean as you go down. It's a brown-sand beach, and I have to say that white-sand beaches are much more beautiful and interesting. Here, the water wasn't as clear, and I barely saw any fishes. The only plus was that, with no coral, there was no need for water shoes. Waves were minimal.
All beaches in the Dominican Republic are public beaches. I heard some snobs complain that the locals used our beach, but it didn't bother me. We were accosted two or three times by locals trying to sell us tours, but we declined and they went away.

OUTSIDE THE RESORT

Going to town is easy. A shuttle leaves every hour and takes ten minutes to get there. If you want to buy things like Dominican coffee and rum, you'll get the best price at an ordinary grocery store (as opposed to a tourist trap). Exchange your dollars for pesos, or the locals may do some creative math when converting your money. When you get off the shuttle, if your back is to the street, walk left (west). You will pass two roundabouts. Immediately after the second one, you'll see a Scotiabank across the street. Don't go in. Instead, enter the very sketchy-looking establishment to the left of it. It's where you'll get the best rate of exchange. Then go back across the street, walk a bit farther west, and you'll come upon a grocery store (check my photos to know what to look for). The prices at some of the souvenir shops are in US funds, so make sure you have some American dollars left for that. Visiting Santa Bárbara de Samaná would have been a lot more enjoyable if there weren't so many aggressive locals hungry for some of that tourist money. One guy attached himself to us the moment we got off the shuttle. He was very friendly, which made us feel bad for wanting to ditch him. But eventually, I told him firmly but nicely that we wanted to be alone, and he backed off. You might also say as soon as they approach you, "We don't need a guide." Unless you do and are willing to pay for one.

TOURS

I went on tours of Los Haitises National Park and El Limón falls. You can see my reviews here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/clauditorium.

WEATHER

Our trip was the last week of January. For the few weeks prior, I obsessively checked the weather forecast, which made it look like it might rain half the time. Luckily, that was way off. Weather was warm, about 65% sunny, 35% cloudy. We had rain two or three times, very briefly. If you want to be even more sure to avoid rain, go in February or March, the driest months of the year in that area.

SUNDRY

*If you decide to walk down the "bridge to nowhere", bring water and wear a hat. It's a long walk. Also, you'll have to face unsafe stairs (see my photos). I enjoyed it, though. I saw a starfish on the island at the end.

*I can understand the beach being closed after six, cause it gets dark. But the pool should stay open later than that.

*While looking for a bandage for my foot, I was surprised to find that there is no first aid station on the resort.

*The staff is eager to please and courteous. Many of them don't know much English, but if that bothers you, maybe you should stay home.

*I clicked "yes" to the question of whether I would recommend this resort, but it was a tough call. There isn't much wrong with it, but there isn't much that's special either.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank clauditorium
Toronto
Reviewed February 23, 2011

First off, we have visited Bahia Bavaro and Barcelo Bavaro in last two years.
You're not going to Cayacoa for the beach, you go for the views..food, pools, animation team, ect.
Like Bahia Bavaro the Cayacoa is clean and beautiful. Staff work tirelessly. Maintenance is very good to excellent.
We traveled with another family who stayed in the Golden section. I had also purchased the Golden section and had asked to be closer to the main building and was put IN the main building. Communication?
I had sent a couple of e-mails and knew this could happen, it's not our first trip. I found this out when we received all our info and the room keys from Luis on the way to the hotel. Luis assured me that we would be happy with the room and he was correct!
You tag you bags when you disembark from the 50 minute bus ride and the porters take it from there. An hours or so later your bags will arrive at your room. For us being in the main lodge, we took are bags directly to our room. It's a smaller resort so don't expect the grander of the Bahia Bavario/Punta Cana or a Riu Palace but it is nicely appointed and well laid out for a small footprint. Change your money at the airport, better exchange and easier. Prices seemed fairer at this resort for things like shirts and suntan lotion.

Think of the resort as 3 areas. It is divided by a 4 story high point which separates the two beach areas and atop sits the Fine dining a la cart, Orquidea.
There are stairs, said, done! You can't have a great view without a little height.
There are no bugs. Couldn't believe it, not one all week. Our traveling companions did come across some one evening on the way to dinner. Not mosquitoes, but something little and buzzy. Good luck getting on a 'bus' during busy hours.

1)Main building with buffet, lobby bar and main pool; Pool level is at the bottom; P level, buffet is 1, lobby is L, up to 5.
There are 2 elevators, one close to the entrance and the main which accesses the pool and buffet.
Rooms facing the ocean are great, we had 208 on the lobby level above the buffet which also faces the ocean.
Great room. Beautiful view and 1 minute to pool, elevator to beach, lobby bar, buffet, reception...right is the middle of everything. There is a good web website, samana.destilino.com. They mention the hallway noise on the 200 level. I did hear people during the day. There is a second door after the washroom which did an excellent job of sound dampening. Glass balcony walls so you can sit and enjoy the view. Never used the tub, only shower, and on one occasion it took a few minutes for hot water. Out of 20 showers that's very good. AC great. Toilet flapper a little worn, had to adjust to stop constant tank draining/filling.
Some rooms over look the lobby bar terrace which is quite large with a fountain and terra cotta tiles; view of the city is nice at night all lit up but could be loud with lobby bar crowd drinking till 11:30pm when it shuts down.
Other rooms overlook the Golden section and small beach but have considerable greenery in the way of a view. Full ocean view would be the only choice for us.
The food was very good. There is one buffet, Las Dalia's, located on second level of 5 story main building. It is the best place to eat in my opinion, especially with young children. Themed each night. Great variety. Very clean. Like with any food establishment, if you go near the end of the meal period the food will be less desirable. Go early, get it while its plentiful & fresh!
Pool has floaty's for the kids and adults, you can also buy from the Jacuzzi pool shop, Club de Playa.
If you are in Golden section, you have a 5 minute stair climb up to get to buffet for breakfast. There is also a snack bar, La Casita, which is pretty good close by the Golden section which you could use for lunch and dinner; operates 11:00am to 6:00pm.
A la carts' appetizers very nice, entrees ok, dessert same as found in buffet and you only get one. At the buffet you get them all!
All restaurant seatings provide you with hand sani by the greeter as you enter. Hygiene appears very good. No food related illness to speak of, and the washrooms are always empty and clean, good sign.
Golden club house is across from the lobby bar at the main building. Only houses a few computers and is where you book your a la carts. One extra for us, Golden section, that we did not use. We only used 2 of the 4. Buffet was better!
The disco and Dolce Vita, the Italian restaurant, are across from the lobby entrance in the main drive. There are also a few shops and the spa closer to the gated entrance. Beyond the entrance is the Hills section with a small pool, great view, and no bar.
Italian rest. serves as the late night snack bar from 11:00pm to 7:00 am. Table service with drinks. Food similar to day time snack bar; burgers, pasta, fries, fish, chicken, salads.
Manuel was stationed at the Flamboyan pool bar during our stay. He was always friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. Dominican Bailey's...outstanding!!! He may be at another bar when you stay there, staff rotate around over time.
Elvis and Lenny are the best animation team I've seen. I could write a small book. Tourista, I love you. These guys really add to your stay.
Christen, the towel guy/DJ kept the music rolling and it was a good mix, not just spanish/Dominican. He also had books, magazines, cards ect.
Angle and Juel Luis were at the lobby bar. Again great attention.
This staff were by far the best we encountered.
Valentines Day was done to a level you would expect at a good downtown T.O. hotel.

2)Main beach with elevator access; no food service, but a decent bar. Draught available at all bars. Elevator is at one side; closest to bar. It worked for our entire stay. Stairs other side; close to 'bridge to nowhere'. Good amount of beach chairs. Ping pong, darts, horse shoes ect. I couldn't find any garbage; on the beach or in the water. Like always, they were cleaning the beach at 6am and throughout the entire day. Floating around was fun, surf was gentle for an ocean. Couldn't walk out too far. Sand course with lots of shell fragments. Does not compare to Punta Cana.

3)Small beach with Jacuzzi pools and bar/snack bar; Golden section is closest. short walk down.
This is also where you find the Seafood a la cart, El Pescador, which operates as the day snack bar.
Golden section is 3 buildings half way up from the smaller beach/Jacuzzi pools/snack bar. The rooms are 1/3 larger than main building rooms. Separate shower stall and door for toilet in bathroom compared to main rooms. Quieter location at night. Balcony walls are stone, sitting you can still see over. The garbage depot is close to building 3, furthest from the main building. At dinner time it runs so there is an odour. Don't notice much after 9:00pm.

Pueblo Principe, the mall which is a 10 minute shuttle away, is not worth the time. If you want to venture further into town, shuttle returns every hour.

There are two nightly shows. The first is for children after dinner on the terrace. The two girls are great with kids and they have Dora or other costumed characters that dance with the young ones.

The second show held at the the disco is good but could be better to no fault of the performers. The venue is small and what the performers do with such a small stage is amazing. A lot of these folks have been working since 8-10am and it's now 10:00pm and they are dancing they're hearts out. Skill level is pretty good, it would shine in a better venue. The magic show is a must see. The Michael Jackson show is also quite good. You'll understand this more when you see the show in the same spot you may have had your orientation.
The disco is kinda smallish and if I had no kids the night life post midnight is pretty low key and may get boring. For us people with kids that was a good thing as we went to bed on time!!
We did not take any excursions, but heard the whale watching was well worth the time, go and find the Canadian tour guide in Samana.
I'm sure there's other stuff but it was the best Dominican stay so far, great job Bahia Cayacoa.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Qtravel68
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Well, great impression upon arrival, nice lobby ,marble and good decor everywhere! ease checkup, got a room on the 4th floor ,very nice supper clean and well ventilated.I slept very well!
Food: buffet: very good variety, great fish, salads and fruits all very taste . The table clot were always changed to a fresh one. The buffet was totally spotless clean.
A la cart restaurant: they have 3, french,nice surf & turf lobster, friendly service. The Italian was OK, and the Seafood. you can make reservation to all 3 at once!
there a nice small restaurant on the small beach, where you have lunch. Very nice and aired with good salads fruits , fish, chicken , hamburgers, great variety! you take the golf cart down, the beach is ugly and small, but good to have a nap after lunch.
The beach: the larger beach you have to take the elevator down, the water was cold and not too clear :(
If you like nice cristal clear beach you have to go to cayo levantado. At the hotel they sell a trip for 25.00 but the same experience you get if you go under the bridge with" Gregory tours' you can get for $15.00m and also we went with then to El Rincon beach and El Limon they are great, and lunch and beverage is included. So i recommend Gregory Tours, you save $$$ and have a goodtime! the excursion price is low and the quality is equal to the expensive ones.
WIFI free in the lobby!!!! bring your notebook.
What I did not liked: the hotel is a maze specially to go to the buffet, ,corridors ,stairs and walking trough . Not good for the ones with disability or even in my case a bad knee.
So the rest was all nice, I would go back if the buffet is relocated, to much walk!

4 Thank preto2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#5 of 5 in Las Galeras
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!