Me and my boyfriend returned to this hotel after staying a few years back and really enjoying the trip the second time. We arrived later January and left early February 2011. My sister and her boyfriend joined us two days later, since we could not book together. I was surprised that the hotel remained beautiful after years have passed, usually places change. I love that its located on a cliff with plenty walking trails to the beach and stairs really helps you get in shape after just a few days. The village Samana is just a 10 minute walk and a beautiful view from the hotel. Shuttle is available but i cant see why come to this place and not enjoy the surrounding walks. We explored the village and wondered further this time were we seen no tourists, but we felt no fear. It is nice to explore the ways of life of a new country. The people in Dominican Republic are amazing and really worth getting to know. The beach at the hotel is small and a little darker sand, its perfect for tanning,swimming, and snorkelling but its not the best for long walks on pure white sand. If your a beach person you might not like the size of it. We visited Cayo Lavendaro and Playa Rincon for the white sand beaches which was more adventures. There are a few small beaches around the hotel property that are more private. The swimming pool is nice and refreshing with a swim up bar. I was a little surprised that the people did not swim and only hung around in the pool drinking. The rooms are fair size and comfortable in the Royal Golden Section which is the only place we stayed both times, the third floor view is amazing. Entertainment needs some changing, the disco location is too cramped and the shows need some improving. We ate at the buffet all week long it was more convenient and the food was wonderful especially the hot chocolates and coffee. Snacks and drinks were always available. I recommend this hotel to active people who enjoy walking and exploring. I don't recommend this place for people that like to party, drink and hang out on the beach, i suggest going to Cancun or Punta Cana. Samana is slowly changing as time goes by. This location is amazing for eco tours, sports, exploring as well getting to know the Dominican ways of life. The only disappointment i had this time was the type of people that are now arriving at the hotel. This place was classy, not sloppy i wish it to stay that way. The service has changed a little for the worse but i cant blame the Dominicans, seeing what they put up with now. Its bad enough that Samana is changing, becoming more Americanized destroying the culture and heritage more and more. Buildings are replacing palm trees. It is a shame. I really enjoyed my trip the second time around exempt for the few things mentioned. If you do choose this hotel please respect it as it should be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (no additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, HotelsClick and Reservation Counter so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana