“Wedding was great and to the Hotel”

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Reviewed June 20, 2009

The hotel and staff were fantastic, the hotel was very clean at all times and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had our wedding at the hotel and everything was beautiful, from the ceromony to the evening meal. Simona organised the wedding from start to finish and she did a wonderful job, even decorating our room on the wedding night with rose petals and a gift left on the bed.
Unfortunately I was taken into hospital, but I have to say that everything was dealt with extremely well, and the hospital although a long way away in Santa Domingo called Hospiten was very nice, I was treated and released from hospital the following evening. Everybody at the hospital was really nice and friendly, and everything run like clockwork.
There are several reviews on trip adviser not very compimentary regarding the food, the hotel rooms, the cleanliness and generally not very nice reviews, but I have to say I completly and totally disagree with the comments made, we could not fault with the hotel in any way shape or form, it was fabulous.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,115)

Reviewed June 19, 2009

We had read lots of mixed reviews about this hotel before we arrived, but the moment you step off the transfer coach you forget them all. The hotel is excellent, staff fantastic, food very good and varied, even the red wine was very drinkable !
We were in a Junior Suite situated away from the main hotel, next to the lower smaller pool, the only disavantage was the steep climb up many steps to the main areas, you could get the golf carts to fetch you if you were prepared to wait.
I would not hesitae to recommend this property and found it almaost faultless except for a few minor things that you could get anywhere.
If want good service,good varied food and complete relaxation then head for this resort. One tip before you go, try to learn a little Spanish, it will help make your holiday more fun!
The hotel waould have been alot quieter if so many people had not transfered from holidays cancelled in Mexico, far more children were around than expected.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LTNJET
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Just arrived home from a 2 week stay. The hotel was clean, the rooms were spacious and the food was excellent.

The only complaint with the hotel was the entertainment which was held in small room from 9.45 p.m. As the hotel bar was spacious leading onto a terrace the entertainment would have been best suited to being held in these areas.

We did a few trips with Raymon & Gregory who are situated along the beach on the left hand side (just under the bridge) and a lot cheaper than the rep. We had booked a trip on a catermaran through the first choice rep which was cancelled due to a problem with the boat, however a cruise liner anchored outside the bay used this boat for their trip on the same day, we then got two trips fom raymon & gregory for the price of one. Thank you first choice.

We booked this hotel via first choice as their brochure led us to believe it was excellent for couples & honeymooners and were then disappointed that there were families with small children, had we wanted noisy children at meal times and splashing in the pool we would have gone to Butlins.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank georgenadmildred
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We had a great time at the GBP Cayacoa got a deal with first choice all in for £640 2 weeks of sunshine.

TIPS:
Take trousers as they need to be worn at dinner (Men Only)

Dont book trips with your Rep/Agency, walk to the far end of the beach and ask for
Raymond or Gregory

You cant get dollars out at the hotel only DPs, take cash its easier.

The dolphin swim and white water rafting are about 3 1/2 hours away.

All non motorised watersports are free including the catamaran but it does have a 5$ surcharge for insurance in case you break anything.

Go to bacardi island lots as the beech at the hotel isnt great for 15$ you can go to a stunning beech by speed boat transfer in 20 mins just off of the beech. (See gregory and raymond)

If you do the safari trip which goes to the school do not do it on a weekend as the school will not be open.

If you go to the waterfalls at El Limon make sure you are fit enough to do a ten minute hill climb up steep steps.

The evening entertainment isnt the best more bognor regis than barbados so make plenty of friends at the pool bar and sit outside all evening drinking.

Get a second key from reception and leave it in your wall socket so the air con stays on during the day.

Do not rock on the plastic balcony chairs as when the leg snaps off you will regret it : )

There is no extra charge for the safe if you are all in. There is a safe in every room with instructions on usage.

8  Thank adley
Reviewed June 2, 2009

great holiday for couples if you want a relaxing holiday, there's not a lot to do small town just a few shops.
good beach
great hotel fantatic staff & the thomson rep was really nice.
food was great on all occasions.

5  Thank baileysandicecream
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We just returned from a week stay at the Gran Bahia Cayacoa. First of all, this hotel is located in a poor area, so be prepared. The Dominican Republic is a third world country and if you don't want to deal with seeing the poverty, fly into Punta Cana and stay at a hotel near there. It took us two hours from the Santo Dominigo airport and we got to witness first hand what kind of poverty is in this country. Part of our ride over to the hotel was amazing - views of their national park were breaktaking. When we got to the hotel, we were rudely greeted by the reception staff. I had researched this hotel before I went, so I knew that the front desk staff wasn't overly friendly. But really when you are spending the money, you should be treated with a little bit of respect. After we left off with the front desk, we were happy to see how nice the room is. However, they are extremely conservative with their utilities. Basically, we had to keep our key in a slot on the wall to keep the lights and air conditioner running. There were multiple times where our maid would take the key out and once even took it with her!!!

The hotel was generally not accepting of us speaking English. Don't get me wrong there were a few staff members that were more than happy to accomodate us however if you don't know Spanish you can become very lost at times. Most of the serving staff didn't understand what we were asking for. Now onto the food - it was really the bare minimum of adequacy. Breakfast was the best meal of the day and they often repeated the menu and didn't mix it up a great deal. You were only allowed to visit each specialty resturant three times per week stay. The gourmet resturant was the worst of the three that were offered. The seafood and italian resturants were two of the best meals we had at the hotel. You have to beware of the condition the meats are in. Almost every piece of meat they served was very tough and fatty. Most of the meat ended up in the garbage. The seafood is the best choice for the buffet / resturants,

Even though this hotel is all inclusive we kept feeling that we were being "nickle and dimed," we had to pay for the safe ( $30.00 US per week ). They also charged your room if you wanted a better tasting alcohol other than the house alcohol they had. Also, if you lost a pool towel, it would cost $20.00 to replace and you were only allowed one towel per day use. They have no kind of great night entertainment, we didn't care about this, however if you are looking for a party try staying at the Gran Bahia Levantaydo. They also have a much more enjoyable beach. We went there on a day trip and found the beach to be remarkably better. The beach at Cayacoa was ok, the water is bay water and won't be clear at all. It's like a gross greenish color. Didn't spend alot of time down there at all. The beach wasn't always very well maintained either. Lots of twigs and branches with the occasionally piece of garbage around. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again because of this. The beach is also extremely short.

May is the rainy season so if you go in the beginning/middle of May, you are going to rain. The rain and clouds here last all day unlike other tropical islands were it will rain for only ten minutes and the sun would come out again. We had about two days of miserable weather, however the rest of the week had beautiful weather. One trip that is an absolute must is to Playa de Ricon. This is one of the most beautiful and amazing beaches you will ever see. This day trip was the highlight of our week. It's phenomenal to see this deserted beach with crystal clear waters and beautiful mountains as your backdrop. I highly recommend this.

We ended up losing water from five hours one day and when I asked if there is a manager i can complain to and find out what was going on her response was, " Oh they don't want to hear it." I strongly believe that the management for this hotel isn't good at all and they just do the minimum to get by. The water was an issue all week besides losing it for most of the day, the pressure was horrible.

I would recommend this hotel only if one is on a budget and is willing to deal with the troubles that may arise. I was disappointed and hoped that by reading some of the positive reviews it would have been more enjoyable than what it was. It was truly average on best with some amazing views of the town/bay.

2  Thank cf1183
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I have just returned from visiting the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa in Samana and here is my review.

The Hotel is reviewed as the 3rd best in the Dominican Republic, so having looked at the reviews and having friends who visited last September we were ready for a great time.

The Hotel holds around 500 maximum and during our visit it was at around 90% capacity.
97% of those people I am sure had a great time, but I, along with around 10 others suffered a holiday nightmare.

Not just 'Holiday Tummy' but 5 days in Hospital 240Km away on a drip 24/7. Plus the logistical issues that went with it.

In time these guys may leave their reviews and we all have a horror story, heres mine.

Hope you have a good time, but as the saying goes 'It Could Be You'

This review may help you if for any unfortunate reason things go wrong. They will go VERY wrong.

Before we progress, I claim copyright as this will sell to a magazine I am sure.
Just in case the group compensation claim takes a little while.

First and only thing to remember, 'Its a 3rd World Country'

A 4/5 Star Hotel but could not find that reference in the Brochure.

The first few I can live with, then it gets serious.

No Hot Water in the Shower = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
For 3 days the $53 safe keeps failing = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
Theres a Dead Fly in my Water Jug at Dinner = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
My Toilet cystern fills all night = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
The quant harbour is a %$(*hole = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
Mini Bar only has Beer and Soda = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
The Sea goes a funny colour after rain sweeps 'Debri' from the Metropolis into the Harbor = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I see a cleaner with rubber gloves clean a toilet in the bar then go to the A La Carte Fish restaurant and open the door with the gloves on. A waiter follows soon after touching the same handle. Does he set out my Cutlery for tonights meal? = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I am in the 'Clinic' Dehydrated after 2 days Diarhea and need to vomit and am instructed outside to a Bar Toilet 100Metres away unaided = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I need to go to Hospital, 'Doctor' says 1 Hour away but seems to take 2 and a half cos its 240KMs away ='Its a 3rd World Country'
I have just been taken to Hospital in a 'Taxi' and the Driver (who is armed) demands $150 whilst I lay in Emergency with a drip in my arm = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I have to pay a guy $50 to buy me toothpaste, deodorant & T Shirt in the Hospital = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
They bring me fruit for dinner in the hospital and after I eat it the Doctor says I should not have = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I am robbed of my last $70 while drowsy and having an Intestinal Scan = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
My wife is 240Km away and she cannot visit due to the 5 hr round trip and $3/400 Cost = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
No one from the Hotel or Tour Company visits for 5 days. They manage 1 phone call = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
My Wife is allowed 1 phone call a day from the Hotel but please be prompt = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I cannot get released early evening because the road back is 'Too Dangerous', hope they mean the Weather = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
I cant get released next morning until I pay $100 Insurance excess. Wife borrows and pays at Hotel, They Cable the good news back to the Hospital = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
The guy who got my toothpaste ($50) is my 'Hospital Appointed' driver upon release. We go outside to a beaten up Toyota cab truck which is absolutley filthy and at least 10 years old. Pull out and he says, I need to get a new tyre. We spend 45 minutes touring the Santo Domingo backstreets, dead dogs and all, until he gets a replacement. = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
Driver please slow down I am feeling unwell, 100MPH is too fast on this road = 'Its a 3rd World Country'
Thanks for getting me back in one piece, Wife pays him $250 cash = 'Its a 3rd World Country' (Without the Prices)

You may have a great time here but if things go wrong, you are on your own. Shame on Thompson and the Hotel!

We take the usual precautions. Jabs, Sanitizing before meals using the Gel (Only saw it in the Buffet) Do the Staff?
Has the guy who serves you maintained standards of cleanliness when handling those knifes and forks?
They do try but do they have the same values as us regarding personal hygiene?

After meeting all the other sick people in the Airport Departure Lounge we understood the scale of the problem and the resultant cover-up.
The Thompson rep actually asked if I could have brought this virus with me! (Baffling when she knew others were ill)

As well as suffering personally, my wife spent 4 nights alone in her room and our travelling companions also had a miserable time.
Meal times were picky due to not wanting to be ill and two Gourmet meals were cancelled.

So in conclusion, I have not covered the good points of the holiday and hotel. It was on the surface very good.
But as my party of four had such a bad experience I will comment for those visitors (2 or 3%) who may suffer.

Have a great time but just in case keep lots of Cash Dollars available and make sure the Insurance is all ok.

Anyone may email me for further advice.

Remember, Its a 3rd World Country.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family