My wife and I just returned from a trip to the Samana Peninsula in the Dominican Republic. Everyone needs to know that the DR is NOT frequented by Americans. We were told by staff at the Cayacoa that we were the first Americans in a month. Primarily the DR is visited by Canadians and Europeans.
The Samana Peninsula is breathtakingly beautiful and the staff at Cayacoa work hard night and day to keep the grounds at the resort looking spectacular. The rooms are generously appointed though not opulent by any means. Call them nicer than a chain hotel, but not a Four Seasons.
Upon arrival at check-in you are fitted with a wrist band. I have seen this done at many all inclusives, but it's a small hassle.. It tends to fade over time and gets in the way.
The staff were friendly and professional. An important side note.....it really helps if you know some conversational Spanish, as their English is fairly limited.
The resort has 3 specialty restaurants along with a couple of snack bars and the buffet restaurant. The food in all of them was about average. It is NOT gourmet dining by any means, but the selection is very good and you will not ever want for anything to eat. By all means, make a reservation for the Gourmet Restaurant. The ambiance and view are outstanding.
I really can't recommend a trip into Samana town. It is a typically dirty, and heavily trafficked Latin American town. Watch out for motorscooters. DR citizens as a rule ignore the rules of safe driving.
If you're looking for a fair priced resort in a gorgeous setting, I'd definitely recommend this place.
The activity staff is really on top of their job and always trying to get you involved in something. The main pool area is a gathering place and is well appointed and large.
There is also a large Jacuzzi, though it is not near warm enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana