“Great Time!”

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I just got back from our vacation at Cayacoa. We had a great time and would go back again.

We didn't exactly book the Cayacoa. We booked an Air Canada Vacations "Roulette" trip. For "Roulette" you are told the name of two hotels you could be sent to, but you won't know which one it will be until you arrive at the Samana airport. We could have been sent to either the El Portillo or the Cayacoa. We researched both of them and the reviews were good, and the price was more than right.

The food was very good and there was something for everyone to enjoy at the buffet. I found that the bread and rolls were always fresh. The drinks were poured quite generously by most of the bartenders. The a la cartes were acceptable, but we both enjoyed the Italian restaurant the most.

The hotel is kept very clean. We saw the staff power-washing the pool deck every morning, and at the beach they are often seen sweeping the sand off of the walkways. To have the air conditioner in your room work you need to put your room card in a slot by the door. Since it was July and too hot and humid to have the a/c on only when we were in the room, I just inserted a card I was okay with losing if I forgot it (Shoppers Optimum card). It worked well - the a/c was always on and kept the room just right.

There are two pools and two beaches. We never had a problem getting a lounge chair at any of them. It may be that we went the first week of June and it wasn't terribly busy then.

The rooms are okay - bed and a small sitting area, with a nice little balcony with a table and two chairs. The tv gets a couple English stations but the reception isn't the best. You're not in the room much, but it's nice to watch something as you're getting ready for meals. I don't think any room has a bad view.

As most reviewers have mentioned, you can get one hour of internet access for free in the lobby. My hubby is convinced that it's so the time share staff can interact with you as you wait for your web page to come up. We didn't have much trouble with the sales pitch. When it was mentioned that we could get a free gift, I told them outright that I just can't bring myself to do another time share presentation, and they left us alone.

We did go into the town as there is a free shuttle from the hotel. An hour there was more than sufficient. When you get off of the shuttle you are surrounded by local "guides". They wear official badges and are supposedly there to help you, but you can't get rid of them no matter what you try (and I tried). I will admit that our guide was helpful in keeping the shopkeepers from harassing you. Be prepared to negotiate in the shops as it is expected. If you do go into town, watch out as the sidewalks are in very poor shape and crossing the streets can be hazardous.

We didn't do any excursions as we wanted to just relax at the hotel. One fellow we met did the waterfall trip and came back with some ugly mosquito bites. However, we didn't have any problems with bugs anywhere on the hotel property.

Overall, we were happy and didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TouristLady
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor member:

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs and we are so happy to see that we did it with you and you have a memorable holiday with us.

We hope to welcome you again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel went above and beyond my expectations, The hotel was very clean, the food available was of wide variety and high standard and the staff were always happy to help in any way. The bedrooms were very spacious and the views were amazing. We did have treatments in the spa which were a little disappointing however the Jacuzzi was very nice. Over all a fantastic holiday and very happy with all that the hotel had to offer.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lindsey D

Dear Lindsey:

Thank you so much for such good opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it.

It is a great honour for all the Bahía Príncipe team to hear that your expectations have been exceeded because of the high standards of service and the friendly staff. Getting the best satisfaction of our guests is always our main goal. We are happy to know that we have achieved it with you.

Hoping to welcome you in the future at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Returned to Cayacoa hotel May 19-June 2nd, 2014 for the 4th/5th time (lost count)

I was happy the resort allows children again, therefor i could return with my family since this is my top choice hotel and travel destination. I fell in love with Samana and forgot all the rest.

Built on a cliff with the view of Samana town positioned in the hills and reachable in walking distance makes this a very unique experience.The hotel grounds have plenty paths and stairs to keep you fit or shuttles are also available.

Shuttle driver David was amazing, always around to give us a drive in a speed of light even tho we enjoyed walking and admiring the view of the landscape.
The main entrance to the hotel has stunning views of the city and harbour during the night with lights and seductive music in the distance keeps one restless to explore what Samana has to offer.

I was very pleased all my requests were granted on arrival. Stayed in a Junior suit in the royal golden section near the hotel on top floor with a breathtaking view of the sea and everything working well except for the purchased room internet which was a bit too slow for my needs.

Most staff at the hotel were very friendly and provided excellent service making you feel welcome.

We really enjoyed the snack bar around the Jacuzzi. Good food served quickly by
waiters who brought out the Domincan spirit singing along to Bacahata songs was a real pleasure to hear.

The buffet has a decent selection of food and drinks. Some of my favourite choices were missing this time but the food was very enjoyable with different theme nights and few romantic tables set by the windows overseeing the sea.

The pools were clean, refreshing and enjoyable, especially the small pool by the beach villas rarely used by other guests.

The ocean water was a bit murky from what i remember, could be the result of the near by marina. The staff did up keep the beach and there are chairs and shade always available.

This hotel does not have the best beach but makes up for it in other ways.

A small wild beach near the dock provides more privacy but could use some up keeping. If you do venture off towards the small beach you can come across a local man who will cut open a fresh coconut, offer mangos, sea shells and other goodies. Very kind man who doesn't have or ask for much, be generous if you can.

Samana has many beautiful beaches such as the island of Cayo Levantado only few minutes away by boat. This makes for a perfect day trip to go out and explore the surroundings.

I really enjoy the laid back, classy atmosphere the resort offers.
Some guests complain about the lack of night life. To those guests I suggest researching before booking a vacation.
This is not a party resort and I was disappointed to see a few guests who became over intoxicated and acted foolish.

A rare event occurred causing the removal of a few guests. I was happy management handled the situation seriously so the rest of the holidays could be enjoyed in peace.

Downtown Samana has an active night life you can reach with a few minute walk or the hotel shuttle which runs every hour until 2am.

Some tourists feel intimidated to venture out. I would recommend exploring Samana, it is an amazing experience with the use of common sense and safety precautions.
Be respectful of others, avoid flashing expensive things, stay on the main paths and don`t go looking for trouble.

Some locals can be pushy during day hours trying to sell there merchandise but firmly say no thank you and they will stop.

We met some amazing locals who left memorable impressions.
If you get the chance stop by Mike`s shop located near the pharmacy towards the flea market. He is very friendly, wont push and has reasonable prices.

Some locals will show you around if you like. Pastel was a sweet boy who kept me laughing and Jose gives fair prices on excursions if you choose to go outside the hotel.

My only worry is driving in Samana. Be careful crossing the streets and use the affordable transportation, but be sure to negotiate a price before hand.

I really enjoyed my return to Samana. Only wIsh I had more time to spend in the country that feels so much like home.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have the best views
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank nurb81

Dear TripAdvisor member:

Is greatly appreciated your comments as a loyal customer. Our goal is to get the maximum satisfaction of all our and being able to fully achieve their expectations. Let us inform you that we completely agree with you that our hotel for relax and rest, the perfect place to disconnect from the big city.

Once again we value the time has been taken to share your impressions as they allow us to better every day.

Once more we thank you for your kind and sincere words. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Well my first thing to say is the people are simply amazing! Food was fantastic at the buffet!!! The 3 major restaurants were also good, but that buffet hmmmmm! Pools were sparkling and the beaches were clean. When I booked I was told it was adult only, when I got there well there were little surprises running around. Thank god they quiet, I went looking forward to adult only! The Hotel was IMMACULANT!!! They use different colored bands to recognize who you are by whether your a timeshare owner or one of their owners or tat you just booked a trip. That also tells whether one can get top self drinks or use the computer room at no charge. The excursions they take you on ( you pay for) are very fun. If you lucky enough to get one with William you'll have the time of your life! We won't talk about our "AIRLINE" flight experience! Overall, this with just a few minor glitches was a for our first time out of the country a "FANTASTIC VACATION"!

3  Thank DiannaG59

Dear Dianna:

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our TripAdvisor community regarding your holiday in our hotel. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities we put our greatest interest and value in our guest´ opinion.

It is truly a pleasure to us to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we greatly appreciate your comments about facilities and grounds. Comments such as like yours are what we strive for following every day in order to improve the quality of service we offer.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Buffet is good. Gourmet restaurant was bad but others were great. Premium and international alcohol COSTS EXTRA! No booze after 2AM! Nightlife is only in the village (shady). Beach is cloudy but clean

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. Many rooms had AC issues but they were resolved. To turn on room electr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rob-Toronto-Canada

Dear Rob:

Thank you so much for taking your time to write us this nice review about our hotel.

We are really happy that you have enjoyed your holidays with us. This review helps up to improve and raise our services.

We regret so much that we could not meet your expectations related with our bar schedules. However, we sincerely appreciate all your review as it is through communications on this nature that we can see what specific points we must focus to our attention.

We hope to welcome you soon at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I am quite new to this whole writing review things but i feel i have to start somewhere and i might aswell start with a great review

The Hotel was amazing the staff were really friendly and helpful especially the chaps that drive the buggies down to the apartments

The food was great and plenty to choose from i would recomend an omlette from Alberto they were the best omlettes i have tried also try the speciality restaurants Italian Gourmet and Mediteranian (excuse the spelling)

Also i have to have a special mention to Frankie he is the most fun and helpful person i have met in a very long time

I did read others reviews before leaving and i wasnt sure how to take them as some good and some not so good but i really would recomend this hotel to anyone

It wouldnt be a fair review without mentioning a few slightly negative things

1 Check which airport you are flying into i landed in Puerto Plaza and thats a 4 hour transfer to get to the airport (This is not the hotels fault)
2 I was in one of the apartments and would quite often be woken by the maids chatting outside my door
3 Lots of steps though it will keep you very fit

All in all fantastic holiday didnt wanna come home to the uk but i will be back again

Room Tip: If you wanna quiet pool go down to the onw near the Med reastaurant as the main pool gets very busy...
9  Thank Arsenalguy1972

Dear TripAdvisor member:

Thank you for taking your time and write this comment about our hotel! We really appreciate your nice comments regarding our food and hotel staff.

We hope to have you back in the near future at any Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I just recently stayed at the Grand Bahia Cayacoa in Samana Dominican Republic between May 24th - 31st, and we had an amazing stay!

To begin, Danny at the front desk was amazing in promptly setting us up with the perfect room. We stayed in room 210 (which he suggested) and it was central to all important locations, including the beach, the pool, the buffet, and the lobby. We had read reviews that there was to be lots of walking on this resort, but thanks to our room placement we never had to take the shuttle anywhere. Everything was in short walking distance! (By short I mean literally twenty steps). What's more, Danny was always happy to greet us in the morning, and help us with anything we needed - he was professional while maintaining a personable character, which I really appreciated.

I recommend this resort primarily for couples as the nightlife and "party atmosphere" wasn't extraordinarily prominent. We're young (22) so we were expecting some kind of party vibe at an all inclusive resort, but this is NOT that kind of resort. The pool area was quiet and relaxing, and the activities were fun but calm, mainly things like darts and mini-golf - not like the drinking games I've played at other resorts. Though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, it was not a let down at all. We had an awesome time relaxing in the sun, playing ping-pong or volleyball, and just catching up on some R&R. Still a great time - just a different kind of vacation.

That being said, Manuel and Victor at the lobby bar KNOW how to party! They were so awesome at reading the vibe at the bar, and knowing how to pick us up! We spent a lot of time with two other couples who raved about these two and how they made the quiet lobby bar a place to party - they weren't kidding! These two were awesome! Samuel and Davison at the pool bar were much the same - very good at getting the party started in a quiet environment.

We had our photos professionally taken on the resort grounds and the beach, which was nice but a little time consuming (about an hour and a half). You don't have to pay for the service of taking the photos, that's free. You only pay for the photos you want and if you don't want any, you don't pay a cent! Take advantage of the service, but be aware of the amount of time it takes! Merlin took our photos and he was awesome (he studied photography in school and it shows). We got some beautiful shots. However, they are expensive (ten dollars a photo) and they will want to try and up-sell you. My advice, choose three to five nice photos. We also got to take a photo with a monkey (Louisa - the cutest creature ever). Do it and buy it! You don't get to hold a monkey every day!

Weather wise, we had been nervous about rain as the forecast had called for thunderstorms everyday. SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN every single day. It rained TWO out of the SEVEN days and only for 15 minutes each time! So pleasantly surprised.

Finally, the food. My boyfriend and I are both Italian, and we fit the stereotypical bill of hard to please food wise. We're spoiled at home with fresh cooked meals daily, so we were not expecting to be impressed by the food on the resort ... BUT WE WERE! The food in the buffet is excellent! Very tasty and always fresh. All three a la cartes were amazing! Including the Italian food! We were never disappointed or left hungry.

Overall this resort proved to be a scenic, relaxing, and beautiful place to stay. We had such an awesome time and it was greatly due to the amazing staff. We were asked if we would travel back again, and we undoubtably agreed that we would in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Danny set us up in room 210, which in our opinion could not have been any better. Not only do you ha...
3  Thank Elena C

Dear Elena:

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you took the time to remember us and your holidays

The fact that we continue to receive positive reviews from our guests is proof of our commitment to consistent and quality service.

It would be our pleasure to host you again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#4 of 4 in Las Galeras
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!