My husband and I just got back from our vacation at Cayacoa. We had a great time and would go back again.
We didn't exactly book the Cayacoa. We booked an Air Canada Vacations "Roulette" trip. For "Roulette" you are told the name of two hotels you could be sent to, but you won't know which one it will be until you arrive at the Samana airport. We could have been sent to either the El Portillo or the Cayacoa. We researched both of them and the reviews were good, and the price was more than right.
The food was very good and there was something for everyone to enjoy at the buffet. I found that the bread and rolls were always fresh. The drinks were poured quite generously by most of the bartenders. The a la cartes were acceptable, but we both enjoyed the Italian restaurant the most.
The hotel is kept very clean. We saw the staff power-washing the pool deck every morning, and at the beach they are often seen sweeping the sand off of the walkways. To have the air conditioner in your room work you need to put your room card in a slot by the door. Since it was July and too hot and humid to have the a/c on only when we were in the room, I just inserted a card I was okay with losing if I forgot it (Shoppers Optimum card). It worked well - the a/c was always on and kept the room just right.
There are two pools and two beaches. We never had a problem getting a lounge chair at any of them. It may be that we went the first week of June and it wasn't terribly busy then.
The rooms are okay - bed and a small sitting area, with a nice little balcony with a table and two chairs. The tv gets a couple English stations but the reception isn't the best. You're not in the room much, but it's nice to watch something as you're getting ready for meals. I don't think any room has a bad view.
As most reviewers have mentioned, you can get one hour of internet access for free in the lobby. My hubby is convinced that it's so the time share staff can interact with you as you wait for your web page to come up. We didn't have much trouble with the sales pitch. When it was mentioned that we could get a free gift, I told them outright that I just can't bring myself to do another time share presentation, and they left us alone.
We did go into the town as there is a free shuttle from the hotel. An hour there was more than sufficient. When you get off of the shuttle you are surrounded by local "guides". They wear official badges and are supposedly there to help you, but you can't get rid of them no matter what you try (and I tried). I will admit that our guide was helpful in keeping the shopkeepers from harassing you. Be prepared to negotiate in the shops as it is expected. If you do go into town, watch out as the sidewalks are in very poor shape and crossing the streets can be hazardous.
We didn't do any excursions as we wanted to just relax at the hotel. One fellow we met did the waterfall trip and came back with some ugly mosquito bites. However, we didn't have any problems with bugs anywhere on the hotel property.
Overall, we were happy and didn't want to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana