“Amazing Vacation....”

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We were a group of four, two couples who traveled to the GBP Cayocoa from March 27th to April 3rd. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would consider going back when it’s adults only again. From what I understand they switch half of the year as family and half as adults only. I can’t imagine this resort with kids and all those stairs! There was a lot of walking here but I was fine with that since we always over indulge on vacation. There were elevators and trams for those less mobile, the elevators were fairly quick but they were very hot and we only used the tram once after an a la carte dinner and it was very fast.

Rooms – We were in the main building room 404, we paid a little extra for an ocean view and it was worth it, our views were stunning of both the ocean/bay and the town. We had a king size bed, it was a little hard and the pillows aren’t great but we slept ok. Our ‘front’ door opened out to the courtyard of the main building where music often played in the evening, this wasn't a problem since we had an inner door in the room to help block the noise. The bathroom was fine, always had hot water, towels and plenty of toilet paper. A few more hangers would be nice and a free room safe would be better, we paid $28 for the week. We had to be very careful when closing our door to go out for the day as it seemed to pop open if we didn't really pull on it….I got in the habit of triple checking it when we left.

Pools – we spent most of week at the main pool and we had lots of fun meeting people and trying the different drinks! I would like to see netting on the swim up bar roof to keep the birds from nesting in there as they pooped in the water; we just pushed it away but still kind of gross. Most other roofs were netted including the massage table area at the main pool. Had fun watching the volley ball and water polo. The bathrooms closest to the main pool are a bit of a walk away which confuses me since there is a swim up bar and you definitely want to encourage people to not use the pool as the bathroom! We didn't spend too much time at the lower pool, which was three circles with jets and seating; it was very quiet down there and had the snack bar which was great. There were two other smaller pools we didn't go to at all. We often had to reserve our chairs early in the morning as some days there weren't enough and some days there were lots, also more shade options would be good! People ended up crowding in the few shady areas available.

Beach – We didn't spend a lot of time here but it was a nice beach, the locals use it but they didn't seem like a problem at all while we were there. The bar on the beach seemed to provide slower service and we thought there should have been food served at lunch and there wasn't. It was set up for food and we kept going back to check but no food. We walked the Bridge to Nowhere, it was interesting! Beautiful views again, especially of the resort and town. Stairs on the small islands were a little scary, looked weather worn but they were still stable, no rails to hang onto to. We had a local follow us out there, which was a little uncomfortable since the guys had walked quite a ways ahead but ultimately he was harmless.

Buffet – We loved the buffet, theme nights were great and the staff worked hard at refilling dishes. We always received a very warm welcome when we arrived, always found somewhere to sit, coffee in the morning was provided immediately. All the staff in the buffet was excellent, we didn't have a single issue with service the entire week. Some days the buffet was very crowded and some people need to learn buffet etiquette but that’s not the resorts fault! Lol We always found something delicious to eat every meal.

A la cartes – we went to all three restaurants, had no problem getting reservations at all once we found the desk for booking them. The gourmet was our favourite but all three were great, good food and excellent service.

Excursions / Spa– The guys did the day trip on the boat with snorkeling and ended up at Cayo Levantado, they enjoyed themselves very much but wish they had been told to bring some cash as tips were expected and at the island you had to pay for your drinks and chair rental! Drinks were only included while on the boat. Overall they really enjoyed their day and they paid $60 each plus drinks and tip. The girls went to the spa and enjoyed a massage and a pedicure, what a nice treat! Those girls doing the massages were strong! And the pedicures were nice although there wasn't a lot of room for both of us getting done at the same time. We paid $85 each for massage and spa pedi, not bad pricing.

Night life – There is very little to do here after 11 pm, we found ourselves going back to our rooms after having dinner and a drink or two at the lobby bar, we went to one show, The Tropicale, at the disco and it was kind of sad. The dancers gave 100% but the stage is so small they could barely get around each other and one girl was dropped on her head! She was ok thankfully but it was a little unnerving to see her dropped so close to where we were sitting. And from what we heard the disco is very quiet after the show, few people stick around. The age of the average traveler I would guess at 45-55 for this resort so that could be why.

Lobby – It’s easy to get annoyed whenever you are in the lobby due to the timeshare sales people, but we found if you said you weren't interested nicely but firmly they stopped bugging you. The only place to get free Wi-Fi is the lobby which got very crowded after dinner as so many people came down to sign in for the hour. And once you signed in you had to use the whole hour, you couldn't do 30 min in the morning and 30 min in the evening. Kind of a pain and rather cheap on the resorts part in my opinion.

Shops – Of course things are a little pricey in the shops but that is typical, just remember to bring all the meds, sunscreen and snacks you want from home. I did purchase a couple of souvenirs form the shops out in the driveway area and was able to negotiate a deal lower than the advertised prices. Don’t be afraid to ask.

Grounds – Were perfect, some people found it annoying that the staff was always working on the resort but I appreciated the efforts, which paid off! This resort is spotless and very well kept. There are no mosquitoes, if there were they would have found me but I didn't get a single bite all week which was a nice surprise as I usually wear mosquito repellent as my perfume! Lol And there were no bees anywhere, even in the food and drink area.

Samana – We went into town one morning and found out that the tram to town doesn't start running until 10 am, be forewarned….there was a large lineup at this point and barely half of the people lined up were able to go on the first trip. Sounds devastating doesn't it….hardly, the trip to town and back might take 10 minutes total. So no one waits too long. Some of the people who didn't get to go on the first tram were really kicking up a fuss for nothing the day we went! They are pushy in town and will follow along with you, again be firm with them and they will leave you alone. Young kids will give you flowers asking for money and seashells, hard to say no. We travel a bit and didn’t see too many souvenirs that were original unfortunately; we didn’t end up getting anything beyond small gifts for our kids.

Overall, we enjoyed out time in Samana very much! Would we go back, likely if the price was right but we always like seeing other areas and resorts.

Room Tip: We were in room 404, had amazing views!!! Rooms on floors 1 and 2 were heavily used corridors to get...
6  Thank hoeger
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2014

Dear Huesped ,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciating your positive comments about of our facilities and our services. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

We hope to have you back in the near future at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

What I liked best were the views from most places in the hotel. All the restaurants had great views and the rooms in the main hotel did as well. This is an adults only and has a romantic setting. The service was excellent and the food was very good at the buffet. We didn't try the a la carte's.
The rooms were very nice with a large balcony. The only negative was the bed a was a bit hard. I loved the chocolates every night on the bed. There could have been a few more chairs on the beach especially with a bit more shade. We loved this hotel and location and would reccoment it to anyone. We just stayed at the Grand Paradise Samana a week ago because we got such a great deal. This hotel is a huge improvement over the GPS.

Room Tip: I think the main building would be the best location.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ianbluenoser

Dear Huesped ,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our TripAdvisor community regarding your experience in our hotel. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities we put our greatest interest and value in our guest´ opinion.

Once again, thank you so much for your review and we sincerely wish to welcome you again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Dominican Republic.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We have great time. Hotel is so spacious and has so many private area that you can really get away and have your privacy. The Staff was great and very helpful. Special thanks to Eloy Pineda - always friendly and ready to help, + he spoke Russian!!! The restaurants, buffet food was good. Room service excellent, we were getting fruit basket every day! The only little disappointment was the beach near to our villa : stones and almost no sand. But we still liked to go there because it was very quiet area.

3  Thank Stella0829

Dear Stella ,

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Trip advisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our services as well as it will be really helpful for other guests that would like to spend their holidays with us, and we really thank you for it.

It is a real pleasure to us to get your comment. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Great Vacation Overall!
Negatives: Our room and the hotel did not have proper air conditioning although it was advertised. We made numerous calls for service on the air conditioning (Room 508). It was never fixed. The water pressure in our room was very low in both the shower and sink. We called for service and this was corrected. The beds were not very comfortable for us and we did not get as much rest as we were hoping for. Lighting is very dim in the bathroom and room. Beach was smaller than we expected but still nice. This is a public beach so the locals do use it often. If you want a lounge chair with shading you need to be up by 7 a.m. to reserve a spot. Food is very salty and there are not a lot of options for people with dietary restrictions (e.g. dairy allergies) and it was difficult to communicate with the staff about the allergy. Night life is very limited. Shuttle Service is available from the hotel every hour into town however you have to know where the drop off and pick up locations are as we were not in the correct spot and the shuttle driver saw up but would not stop for us but did stop for a co-worker 10 ft. away from us to drive them back to the resort. We ended up having to walk. Gourmet restaurant lacked in expectations. The cut of beef that we received in both the buffet and at the a la carte wasn't up to our standards.

Positives: The view from anywhere in the hotel is spectacular. The lounge area was one of our favourites. Service from staff was very good. Our room was very clean and they paid attention to our requests. Our room was in the main building and was accessible to everything. The hotel was close to town so you could either walk or take the shuttle. Overall food was okay some dishes were better than others. Day time activities were great...Aqua fit at the beach was a good idea! The pool was beautiful.

Room: 3.5 out of 5
Food: 4 out of 5
Service: 4 out of 5
Cleanliness: 4.5 out of 5
Activities: 3 out of 5
Beach: 4 out of 5

Tip: One Beach Towel a day, If you want to buy souvenirs/groceries (e.g. coffee) bargain, bargain, bargain. Safari tour was one of he best excursions - Rincon beach was amazing. If you want to see the whales best time to go is in February.

Room Tip: Main building seaview room - breath taking view...5th floor quiet at night. Higher Floors lack cold...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kimmie ,

Thank you for taking the time in writing us a review of your stay in our TripAdvisor community as we put a great interest in our clients comments as their perceptions are the most important to us as this is the only way to know what specific points we must focus our attention.

It will be a pleasure to can host you in the near future, all-inclusive holiday at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I chose to return to this resort simply because of lack of other acceptable options as I was only going to do a short 4 night vacation. I was not too thrilled to be returning to the same place for the second time but when I got here, I was super happy I did.

The scenery is absolutely breathtaking from every angle. The food is amazing in the main buffet and in the a la cartes. Honestly, it is the best food at an all inclusive for me to date. As for the drinks, I can't really comment much since I tend to stick to beer. However, I did have a couple of piña coladas that were just overly sweet juice with ice cubes and rum. I guess the slushy machine was broken?

While the staff doesn't speak English for the most part, they are all very friendly. I noticed a positive change there because last time, I did get some attitude. The only thing that was a bit annoying was the pity looks from the female staff when they realized that I was a solo female traveller and some comments about that from the male staff.

IMPORTANT: here is what I really want to get into - the room situation. The majority of the rooms have great views and all are well kept and adequate (I had a regular room and it was pretty spacious and very clean). HOWEVER the room location is what you want to pay attention to. If your room faces the pool and the small bay, be prepared to hear music and pool activities throughout the day most days until 6 pm. If your room faces the town, prepare to hear loud music and animation until about 11pm, then music from the distance (from the disco or town?) until about 2am. Oh and once it gets quiet, you'll hear the dogs barking (maybe GBP could contribute towards a spay and neuter program for all the stray dogs?). So if you are a light sleeper, and want to go to bed relatively early, either bring some NASA grade ear plugs or insist on getting a room on the pool side of the building. If you are a night owl and don't want any noise during the day, then town side is for you. Also, floors 1 and 2 are the main arteries between the reception area, the buffet and pool so there is a lot of traffic on these floors.

On my first visit, I was pool side and this time, I was town side. I honestly do not think there will be a third visit if I could not be guaranteed a pool side room. Apart from this, I have zero complaints. This is a perfect resort for solo travellers, couples (especially older) and people who are not generally looking to party too much.

The wifi: it is free in the lobby only. There is a catch - you only get an hour per day and have to use it all at once. This is a change from my last visit as before you were not limited in time. At the front desk, they tell you that you can purchase in room wifi for 49 USD per week but there are more options. If you connect to the kubi wifi (as opposed to the kubi_hall free wifi), then access internet, you can purchase a 60 minute package for 8 USD that is good in the room, in all the main areas, on the terrace and by the main pool. You don't have to use that consecutively as it can be paused so it's a cheaper alternative to the $49 package in combination with the free wifi if you need to check on things more than once a day.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
9  Thank Alice669

Dear Alice ,

Thank you so much for such good opinion about our Hotel, we really appreciate it.

We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them.

We hope to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

The staff, food, beach, entertainment was awesome! The staff was very welcoming, and set-up great entertainment through-out the day such as volleyball, aqua fit, dancing, etc. The buffet was very good lots of variety we never when hungry or had any trouble with the food. The restaurants were even more tasty especially the Italian restaurant. The seafood restaurant had excellent service. They listened to my request for a special birthday treat with a candle for my husband’s birthday and even turned-off the lights and sang. He was very surprised and it made our trip even more memorable. The only critique was the room decor, the rooms just need some fresh paint and new modern sheets.

3  Thank Nicole O

Dear Nicole ,

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Holiday March 2014.
Where do I start? We were very disappointed with this holiday. To put my review into some perspective for you I would like to say we are very well travelled, like to be adventurous, and we are very tolerant of different cultures in general. We are in our 50’s, we have a good standard of life in the UK and we also like to have a little bit of pampering sometimes when we go away. This is the first time we have ever said “we won’t be going back to this hotel” and here’s why.

We decided to upgrade to the Junior Suite, as we were led to believe that these rooms had their own pool. Not so, anyone in the hotel can go in any of the areas. There was no private club house either. So don’t bother to upgrade if you go. It isn’t worth it.

In general, the hotel was clean but the food was the worst we have had in an all-inclusive. We went to all the restaurants available. The Italian food was like cheap ready meals. The fish restaurant was worse. We decided to pay extra to get a decent meal and had the chef's special. When it came it was a very unappetizing mountain of fish and shell fish, all of it freezing. Needless to say we left it. The food in the Gourmet restaurant was the best place we ate and had one nice meal in there, we had the Surf & Turf and it was very nice. The service in there was also very good.
The food in the main restaurant was very much of a muchness, the breakfast was no better. You had to pick out the egg shells from the scrambled eggs, this happened 5 times over the 2 weeks we were there. The queues were terrible for the toasters and it took putting the bread in 4 times before it even resembled toast. The majority of staff spoke only Spanish so you could complain as they didn't understand you.

The room service was as bad. The food arrived cold. So again the benefit of having 24 hour room service included in your package isn't worth it at all. the beds were very hard too.

The buffet restaurant at the Jacuzzi pool was ok for lunches, but again it ended up being very much the same food. The guys in there were very pleasant especially Victor, who was a great guy.

The staff were pleasant enough, but it was apparent they didn’t enjoy their jobs, there was a slight resentment apparent from them, nothing major but the harassment from the sales staff was relentless and very annoying. I don’t go away to get badgered into having a 60 minute meeting to sell me time share. We had to avoid the reception hall which was the only place you could get free Wi-Fi because of it. So be aware of the letter you get telling you to claim your free gift, as it’s far from free.

The Jacuzzi pool was dirty; it had scum floating in the middle of each of the 3 pools.
There was no peace and quiet, there was building work going on all the time. Trees being cut down with chain saws every day. The racket from the main pool which was above everything was relentless music and shouting.

On one day they decided to cut down a tree that was on the patio of the Jacuzzi pool with people still lying on their sun beds under it. Once the tree was down they started to chop it up with an axe. The wood chips were flying everywhere. No peace or duty of care to the holiday makers. A lady had to tell them to stop it. It was appalling.

The entertainment was very tacky. The view from the main terrace was outstanding, and could be a great place to have sundowners, however there was light entertainment there each evening. This resembled a ‘Tea Dance’ with Private Dancers from the hotel dancing with guests. This also included Bingo once a week. Ok if you like that kind of thing, but not what I’d expect in a supposedly 5* hotel in the Caribbean.

Although we are in our mid 50’s we like to see a mixture of couples of different ages in the hotels we go to the average age group here was over 60.

The town was not a place you could go to enjoy a coffee or a meal. We have been to many places where the local people are poor and trying to make a living, but we have always found something of interest or been able to add something to the local economy. Not so here. We have been to India lots of times and loved it, so when I say the town resembled a shanty town. I mean it really had absolutely nothing to offer. The people are not dangerous, but they are trying to get you to buy things which are overpriced cheap tat and get visibly frustrated when you won’t buy anything. To the point it makes you feel very uncomfortable. The pavements are a danger to anyone who isn’t steady on their feet. In fact a young girl broke her foot the first day she was there.

Here are the good parts. The location is stunning; the sea is crystal clear and full of beautiful fish. The vegetation and wild life is wonderful. You won’t be disappointed with that, and Pelicans fly down to the sea to feed off the fish.
We went to Bacardi Island and the beach there is fantastic with turquoise sea.

We had a couple of great trips run by Cultourall, the guys kept us hydrated with Rum and water and entertained us with their singing. You can go directly to them to get the trips as it is cheaper than going through the Thompson Rep. However
Martin the Thompson Rep is a great Rep. Nothing is too much trouble for him.

Overall I would rate this hotel as a poor 4* nothing more.

Obviously this is our personal feedback and surprisingly there were people who did enjoy their stay in this Hotel. I have been as honest as I can be I hope it helps you to choose whether to go here or not. If you don’t mind noise, an average age of 60+ and not a foodie. You might enjoy it here.

Room Tip: any room would be ok, the majority had great views
3  Thank leny14

Dear Leny ,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Grand Bahía Príncipe Cayacoa; we appreciate all of our guests’ opinions of their experience in our hotel as it gives us the opportunity to reassess all aspects of our work.

Once more we thank you for your kind and sincere words. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 35 in Las Terrenas
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#3 of 4 in Las Galeras
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!