“Enjoyable Vacation at the Cayacoa”

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Recently returned from a wonderful stay at this resort. I must point out, out of all our travels, this resort has one of the best staff around. This includes all areas:front desk, guest services, animation, bell hop, servers, bartenders and housekeeping. All so very friendly and helpful. Many of them remember your names. I'd also want to compliment the management, I had emailed prior to my trip and they responded in a timely manner.The resort is lovely. Very clean. Nice views and great food. Some things to consider: if you are a beach person and like to walk for miles and want tourquois blue water, this place is not for you. This resort is set in a bay, so the beach is small, golden sand and clear water. We took a day trip to Levantado and that was a very nice beach. Also a trip to Ricon for a nice beach as well. The resort is set on a cliff so there are some steep hills to walk ( good work out) or they do offer golf cart type transportation to get you around. You can go into town and hang out, shop, eat, drink we felt very safe.
We stayed in the tower section and had an awesome view. The rooms are nice and clean but I would say decor is dated. Our air conditioning wasn't the best, but the ceiling fan did help in making it comfortable to sleep. Seems many resorts are offering these ultra modern facilities (which I do like) but this place did not bother us. They offer free wifi in the lobby area. I would recommend that they offer it free in your room as well vs. charging extra. We would return to Cayacoa. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you choose this place for your vacation.

Room Tip: The higher floor tower rooms have a nice view bay or town.
2  Thank Deekny
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Deekny,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana,

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Came back from the cayacoa a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic! I was quite worried about going after seeing quite a few negative reviews, all I can say is the people who moan about this place must be upper class snobs who should be paying thousands for a two week break! This hotel is very reasonable for money but this does not stop it's quality! The Buffett restauranunt is amazing and the staff are constantly bringing out fresh food! I like that you have to use hand sanitiser before you go in! There is so much choice even the fussiest of eaters will be happy! The a la carte restaurants were ok best is definitely the gormet however they fill up quickly so must book on your first day As golden club we had an extra a la carte a week but did not get to use these unfortunately! The pools are unbelievable there are so many different pools for those who want a bit of entertainment the main pool is best with activities such has volleyball bingo hat making arts etc if you want to get away from it all there are several quieter pools! The beach it lovely and you can use the scuba equipment for free - snorkeling is a must! The all inclusive drinks is fab in the day there is beer cocktails and spirits and in the evening there are branded spirits such as Smirnoff and tanqueray but you have to ask for these specifically but still part if all inclusive! Casino is a lot of fun and there is evening entertainment! We are a young couple and made friends with another young couple there is lots for everyone to do no matter what type of holiday you are going on! Disco is not great but if that's what you are looking for its open until the early hours with hits such as aga do!! Tipping is simple there is a lot if staff who are all so great and will go a million miles to make sure you are having a nice holiday however obviously you cannot tip everyone our guide recommended $1 dollar here and there and it worked perfectly! Currency - take dollars or pesos makes no odds everywhere takes both personally I found it easier in dollars but we got a better rate for paying for trips in pesos! Any water trips you want to do book with the scuba team on the beach they are about 30£ cheaper than booking with Thompson definitely recommend barcardi island so beautiful and the sea lions are amazing!!
Rooms are great we have golden club junior suite which were fantastic our friends had a standard room which were a lot smaller but still a reasonable size makes no odds as you are only there to sleep! Mini bar is filled up daily with soft drinks and beers! Junior suites are down the bottom of the hill people in previous reviews moaned about steps but the minibus come eVERY 5 MINS plenty of room never a problem and will take you where ever you want whether it's to a restauranunt buffet disco or main reception!!
Transfer from puerto plata takes around 4 hours however this includes a stop on route for us that was the only downfall after a 9 hour flight!

All in all fab clean hotel! A holiday is what YOU make it if you want fun there is places to go if you want chilled there are quiet pools there is enough quality choice of food to sunk a battle ship - go in your holiday and make it a good one!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sophie N

Dear Sophie,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this nice review about our hotel!

We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs and we are so happy to see that we did it with you and you have a memorable holiday with us.

We really hope to consider coming back to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana

Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa for 4 nights in November. I would highly recommend this property. I had never been to Samana before, nor had I ever sent any clients to Samana. I will definately recommend Samana and the GBP Cayacoa!

Transfer to the hotel:
We flew into the Samana Airport and it's about a 40 minute ride to the resort. Hang onto your hats! It's a bit of a nerve racking ride - roads very narrow and a lot of motor cycles so the drivers are constantly passing. I have to say out of your entire trip the ride to the resort was the only thing that I didn't like.

Check in:
I've read a lot of reviews that said that the staff at the front desk were rude. I did not experience that at all. The front desk staff were all very friendly. Once we got off the bus and checked in we were in our room and by the pool within 45 minutes.

Rooms:
We had a standard room in the main building and loved it. The room was very clean and plenty big enough. I've found that sometimes if the room is too big it's harder to keep cool. I had read a review on trip advisor that said to keep the extra room card (or another card you have with you - I used a grocery store card) in the slot near the door all the time. When you put the card in the slot the air comes on, so if you leave and take your room card out the air shuts off. I left my grocery store card in the slot all the time and the room stayed nice and cool. There are rooms spread out throughout the resort in different sections. I suggest that if you have problems walking that you stay in the main building. There are shuttles that will take you where you need to go but staying in the main building you are nearer everything.

Food:
I've been to the Domincan 2 other times staying at Dreams Palm Beach and Dreams LaRomana. I thought the food at GBP Cayacoa was very good - better than the other 2 places I stayed. We stayed 4 nights so we got to eat in 2 of the 3 ala cart restaurants. We ate in the Seafood and the Gourmet and both were very very good. The restaurants, as well as the buffet, were all air conditioned and it was very comfortable. We are not buffet people but we did enjoy the buffet here. The resort isn't huge so the buffet was catered to a smaller amount of people and therefore I think was better. All 3 times that I've been to the Dominican I've had small issues with my stomach but I brought precautionary medicine with me and took it as needed.

Beach:
The beach was unique - you take the elevator down to the beach (which was very cool) or the 101 stairs. There are a lot of stairs at this resort. You can either take the stairs just about anywhere or the shuttle service. The beach was small but there were plenty of chairs - we never had a problem. At the end of the beach area were the stairs that will take you to the bridge to nowhere and there were some vendors right there but they don't really bother you. The beach bar was good - you just have to get your own drinks, no beach service. The water was very clear with soft sand.

Entertainment:
There was plenty of staff at the beach area - archery and such on the beach each day - and by the main pool. We didn't participate in any of the pool or beach activities but the staff was very friendly and motivating. We also didn't see any of the shows - you go to the disco to see the shows. There is a small casino at the resort. Every night you can listen to a band and dance out on the patio (very romantic) that overlooks Samana Bay.

Staff:
The staff were all extremely friendly and spoke pretty good English. Our maid service was very good. We did have 3 favorite staff that I'd like to mention - Manuel, Victor and Darius - who all work at the Premium Bar. They made our trip more enjoyable then it already was! They work hard and work long hours, sometimes 11 or 12 days in a row. We missed them when we left!

Tipping:
I cannot stress enough the importance of tipping. My husband and I always tip when we go to an all inclusive and it's amazing the people who don't. We tip $1.00 when we get a drink and leave a few dollars at breakfast and lunch and a bit more if we are eating in one of the ala cart restaurants. The staff that work at this resort are amazing and they deserve to be tipped. Please tip :)

Leaving the resort:
We walked into town one day - 10 minute walk and we felt very safe. The resort offers a free shuttle every hour. Samana was very nice - of course there are kids and people trying to sell you things but that happens everywhere. Definately worth the trip into town to check it out. The only other thing we did was take a walk out onto the Bridge to Nowhere. Very unusual thing to do. It's kind of like a bridge that are part of ruins. We took some beautiful pictures on the bridge and you can see a lot of fish and star fish (and sucken boats) in the water. I wouldn't recommend going alone but we felt completely safe together.

Resort itself:
The one thing that really stands out in my mind about the GBP Cayacoa is the beauty that is all around you! Because the resort sits up high, there are amazing views from just about everywhere. It was actually surreal at times. There are 3 different pool areas - the main pool that was at times busy, and two other areas that were smaller and quieter. As I said, the resort doesn't have a lot of rooms, less than 300, but it's spread out and there are a lot of stairs. The grounds were all beautiful and immaculate.

Closing:
In closing, I would highly recommend this resort and will be sending my clients to the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa!

14  Thank CLB1018

Dear CLB1018,

We would like to thank you for taking your valued time to share your experience in our beautiful Hotel.

Also, we appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guest. We are delighted to share your comments with Victor,Manuel and Dario.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just returned from 2 great weeks at this resort.The views are stunning and the staff is great. The resort was only at 38% occupancy so the srevice was exceptional. You never waited for anything.The rooms are clean and well stocked daily.We were in the villas farthest from the main hotel and loved it. A lot of stairs to walk up to the main hotel for meals and entertainment but we liked that to get some exercise. You could always take the trolley and never saw anyone wait too long for it to pick them up.Food was excellant. No complaints there was always something that you liked to eat.Many choices. We did 2 a la cartes. The Gourmet and the Italian. We enjoyed both although the portions were very small.Met some wonderful people. Julianne from Australia and Harry from Holland thanks for the chats it was very nice talking with you.Cannot comment on excursions because we did none. This trip was all about rest and relaxation and both was accomplished.Beware of premium club people ( time share ) they are very persistant. We got very good at avoiding them.We would definetly return hopefully soon.

3  Thank dini21

Dear Dini21,

We would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience in our hotel .

We are glad that you have enjoyed all our facilities, views and services during your visit with us.

We hope to welcome you again to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our first time at this beautiful resort and it won't be our last.
The food was excellent and the hotel was very clean. All the staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and very accommodating.
The view of the countryside and ocean was truly beautiful and picturesque.
Ocean water was warm and the beach kept very clean.
The entertainment staff (animation team) were wonderful and provided a variety of fun activities.
We felt very welcome and relaxed the whole week.
Clearly, a 5 star in our books.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Bonlyn2013

Dear Bonlyn2013,

Thank you very much for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa as your holiday destination and for reviewing your recent experience with us.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel was one of the best stays I've ever had! I have travelled all over the Caribbean and Europe and have visited over 10 countries. Let's just say this hotel was the best in all the years of travelling. The rooms we had were upgraded so the were the villas located near the bottom of hills which I may add had beach view and easy access to one of the pools and restaurants. The views were the best I have ever seen and the sites and gardens were breath taking. We got calls every so often to make sure we were content and pleased which I thought was awesome. I speak Spanish so getting around was very easy and enjoyable but even if you don't everyone is on point and all are very friendly and understandable. The staff were the best we have ever had. Anything you want the staff is there to serve you and handle anything you ask for. The main lobby bar is filled with energy and friendly waiting staff. I recommend you look for Manuel and Victor in that bar they treated us like family and made us feel like royalty. The main pools always have fun activities and the coco locos are awesome. Food choices are great and the a la cart restaurants are fine cuisine. I say every meal we had to book reservations for were $100 meals due to them being 4 course. The beach was great and loved how the hotel was high above everything and that an elevator brought you down. If you are going into town make sure you bargain with the locals also the further you go the cheaper it gets. Tips are very appreciated and you will notice you will get a lot better service and wait times shorten. These people work hard so a few dollars here and there makes you feel good about it. All in all everything in this hotel was awesome and I would go back anytime. I am a 25 year old and have been to a lot of places but like I said this hotel was just AWESOME. Make sure to bring your camera and sunscreen cause you won't want to leave this place once you arrive.

• Stayed: November 2013
6  Thank Luisralon

Dear Luisralon,

Thank you so much for such good opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it.

We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our views, services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with Victor and Manuel.

We hope to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my second time at a Bahia Principe resort, and I do have to say that as a constant, their attention to detail and service are second to none, probably among the best in the Dominican Republic.

The Cayacoa resort has hands-down the best view in all the island. The sheer cliff overlooking the bay and the town are incredible, and create a wonderful breeze day and night (the humidity you find at other places on the island, like Punta Cana, really is rare here). The pool was wonderful, the bartenders especially friendly and helpful (Especially Evelyn and Alexander, who always gave you a hand and a ear to talk to). The beach is small, nothing really to write home about, and definitely is a few notches below Bahia's other resort on Cayo Levantado, which you can see out in the bay from our hotel.

Besides the view, the staff were exceptional, particularly the entertainment staff (or animation team as it's called there...which makes me snicker since it's a hilariously bad literal translation of Spanish for something like "pep squad"). The animation folks work their butts off for you, make everyone feel welcome and part of the fun, from activities to shows to simply starting a spontaneous dance party poolside. I really do have to give a shout-out to Joan, Veronica, Dulce, YaFrancy, Carlos, Julian, and the rest of the team there during our stay. They were like a second family, always there when you need them.

The four out of five review is due to the location and status of the beach: it isn't your idyllic turquoise watered beach. The water's clean and clear, to be sure, but underneath the sand isn't the pristine white you see other areas. Besides that, it's a great place to spend a vacation and I would recommend the Bahia Principe brand to anyone.

Room Tip: Nearly every room has a great view of something: the oceanfront views are more of an upcharge, but y...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank LDorazio1

Dear LDorazio1,

We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with Evelyn, Alexander,Joan, Veronica, Dulce, YaFrancy, Carlos and Julian.

We hope to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana and thanks for recommend us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#4 of 4 in Las Galeras
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!