“Review from a Travel Agent”

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Southwick, Massachusetts
“Review from a Travel Agent”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa for 4 nights in November. I would highly recommend this property. I had never been to Samana before, nor had I ever sent any clients to Samana. I will definately recommend Samana and the GBP Cayacoa!

Transfer to the hotel:
We flew into the Samana Airport and it's about a 40 minute ride to the resort. Hang onto your hats! It's a bit of a nerve racking ride - roads very narrow and a lot of motor cycles so the drivers are constantly passing. I have to say out of your entire trip the ride to the resort was the only thing that I didn't like.

Check in:
I've read a lot of reviews that said that the staff at the front desk were rude. I did not experience that at all. The front desk staff were all very friendly. Once we got off the bus and checked in we were in our room and by the pool within 45 minutes.

Rooms:
We had a standard room in the main building and loved it. The room was very clean and plenty big enough. I've found that sometimes if the room is too big it's harder to keep cool. I had read a review on trip advisor that said to keep the extra room card (or another card you have with you - I used a grocery store card) in the slot near the door all the time. When you put the card in the slot the air comes on, so if you leave and take your room card out the air shuts off. I left my grocery store card in the slot all the time and the room stayed nice and cool. There are rooms spread out throughout the resort in different sections. I suggest that if you have problems walking that you stay in the main building. There are shuttles that will take you where you need to go but staying in the main building you are nearer everything.

Food:
I've been to the Domincan 2 other times staying at Dreams Palm Beach and Dreams LaRomana. I thought the food at GBP Cayacoa was very good - better than the other 2 places I stayed. We stayed 4 nights so we got to eat in 2 of the 3 ala cart restaurants. We ate in the Seafood and the Gourmet and both were very very good. The restaurants, as well as the buffet, were all air conditioned and it was very comfortable. We are not buffet people but we did enjoy the buffet here. The resort isn't huge so the buffet was catered to a smaller amount of people and therefore I think was better. All 3 times that I've been to the Dominican I've had small issues with my stomach but I brought precautionary medicine with me and took it as needed.

Beach:
The beach was unique - you take the elevator down to the beach (which was very cool) or the 101 stairs. There are a lot of stairs at this resort. You can either take the stairs just about anywhere or the shuttle service. The beach was small but there were plenty of chairs - we never had a problem. At the end of the beach area were the stairs that will take you to the bridge to nowhere and there were some vendors right there but they don't really bother you. The beach bar was good - you just have to get your own drinks, no beach service. The water was very clear with soft sand.

Entertainment:
There was plenty of staff at the beach area - archery and such on the beach each day - and by the main pool. We didn't participate in any of the pool or beach activities but the staff was very friendly and motivating. We also didn't see any of the shows - you go to the disco to see the shows. There is a small casino at the resort. Every night you can listen to a band and dance out on the patio (very romantic) that overlooks Samana Bay.

Staff:
The staff were all extremely friendly and spoke pretty good English. Our maid service was very good. We did have 3 favorite staff that I'd like to mention - Manuel, Victor and Darius - who all work at the Premium Bar. They made our trip more enjoyable then it already was! They work hard and work long hours, sometimes 11 or 12 days in a row. We missed them when we left!

Tipping:
I cannot stress enough the importance of tipping. My husband and I always tip when we go to an all inclusive and it's amazing the people who don't. We tip $1.00 when we get a drink and leave a few dollars at breakfast and lunch and a bit more if we are eating in one of the ala cart restaurants. The staff that work at this resort are amazing and they deserve to be tipped. Please tip :)

Leaving the resort:
We walked into town one day - 10 minute walk and we felt very safe. The resort offers a free shuttle every hour. Samana was very nice - of course there are kids and people trying to sell you things but that happens everywhere. Definately worth the trip into town to check it out. The only other thing we did was take a walk out onto the Bridge to Nowhere. Very unusual thing to do. It's kind of like a bridge that are part of ruins. We took some beautiful pictures on the bridge and you can see a lot of fish and star fish (and sucken boats) in the water. I wouldn't recommend going alone but we felt completely safe together.

Resort itself:
The one thing that really stands out in my mind about the GBP Cayacoa is the beauty that is all around you! Because the resort sits up high, there are amazing views from just about everywhere. It was actually surreal at times. There are 3 different pool areas - the main pool that was at times busy, and two other areas that were smaller and quieter. As I said, the resort doesn't have a lot of rooms, less than 300, but it's spread out and there are a lot of stairs. The grounds were all beautiful and immaculate.

Closing:
In closing, I would highly recommend this resort and will be sending my clients to the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank CLB1018
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear CLB1018,

We would like to thank you for taking your valued time to share your experience in our beautiful Hotel.

Also, we appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guest. We are delighted to share your comments with Victor,Manuel and Dario.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana,

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ontario
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just returned from 2 great weeks at this resort.The views are stunning and the staff is great. The resort was only at 38% occupancy so the srevice was exceptional. You never waited for anything.The rooms are clean and well stocked daily.We were in the villas farthest from the main hotel and loved it. A lot of stairs to walk up to the main hotel for meals and entertainment but we liked that to get some exercise. You could always take the trolley and never saw anyone wait too long for it to pick them up.Food was excellant. No complaints there was always something that you liked to eat.Many choices. We did 2 a la cartes. The Gourmet and the Italian. We enjoyed both although the portions were very small.Met some wonderful people. Julianne from Australia and Harry from Holland thanks for the chats it was very nice talking with you.Cannot comment on excursions because we did none. This trip was all about rest and relaxation and both was accomplished.Beware of premium club people ( time share ) they are very persistant. We got very good at avoiding them.We would definetly return hopefully soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dini21
Dear Dini21,

We would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience in our hotel .

We are glad that you have enjoyed all our facilities, views and services during your visit with us.

We hope to welcome you again to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our first time at this beautiful resort and it won't be our last.
The food was excellent and the hotel was very clean. All the staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and very accommodating.
The view of the countryside and ocean was truly beautiful and picturesque.
Ocean water was warm and the beach kept very clean.
The entertainment staff (animation team) were wonderful and provided a variety of fun activities.
We felt very welcome and relaxed the whole week.
Clearly, a 5 star in our books.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Bonlyn2013
Dear Bonlyn2013,

Thank you very much for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa as your holiday destination and for reviewing your recent experience with us.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel was one of the best stays I've ever had! I have travelled all over the Caribbean and Europe and have visited over 10 countries. Let's just say this hotel was the best in all the years of travelling. The rooms we had were upgraded so the were the villas located near the bottom of hills which I may add had beach view and easy access to one of the pools and restaurants. The views were the best I have ever seen and the sites and gardens were breath taking. We got calls every so often to make sure we were content and pleased which I thought was awesome. I speak Spanish so getting around was very easy and enjoyable but even if you don't everyone is on point and all are very friendly and understandable. The staff were the best we have ever had. Anything you want the staff is there to serve you and handle anything you ask for. The main lobby bar is filled with energy and friendly waiting staff. I recommend you look for Manuel and Victor in that bar they treated us like family and made us feel like royalty. The main pools always have fun activities and the coco locos are awesome. Food choices are great and the a la cart restaurants are fine cuisine. I say every meal we had to book reservations for were $100 meals due to them being 4 course. The beach was great and loved how the hotel was high above everything and that an elevator brought you down. If you are going into town make sure you bargain with the locals also the further you go the cheaper it gets. Tips are very appreciated and you will notice you will get a lot better service and wait times shorten. These people work hard so a few dollars here and there makes you feel good about it. All in all everything in this hotel was awesome and I would go back anytime. I am a 25 year old and have been to a lot of places but like I said this hotel was just AWESOME. Make sure to bring your camera and sunscreen cause you won't want to leave this place once you arrive.

• Stayed November 2013
6 Thank Luisralon
Dear Luisralon,

Thank you so much for such good opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it.

We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our views, services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with Victor and Manuel.

We hope to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my second time at a Bahia Principe resort, and I do have to say that as a constant, their attention to detail and service are second to none, probably among the best in the Dominican Republic.

The Cayacoa resort has hands-down the best view in all the island. The sheer cliff overlooking the bay and the town are incredible, and create a wonderful breeze day and night (the humidity you find at other places on the island, like Punta Cana, really is rare here). The pool was wonderful, the bartenders especially friendly and helpful (Especially Evelyn and Alexander, who always gave you a hand and a ear to talk to). The beach is small, nothing really to write home about, and definitely is a few notches below Bahia's other resort on Cayo Levantado, which you can see out in the bay from our hotel.

Besides the view, the staff were exceptional, particularly the entertainment staff (or animation team as it's called there...which makes me snicker since it's a hilariously bad literal translation of Spanish for something like "pep squad"). The animation folks work their butts off for you, make everyone feel welcome and part of the fun, from activities to shows to simply starting a spontaneous dance party poolside. I really do have to give a shout-out to Joan, Veronica, Dulce, YaFrancy, Carlos, Julian, and the rest of the team there during our stay. They were like a second family, always there when you need them.

The four out of five review is due to the location and status of the beach: it isn't your idyllic turquoise watered beach. The water's clean and clear, to be sure, but underneath the sand isn't the pristine white you see other areas. Besides that, it's a great place to spend a vacation and I would recommend the Bahia Principe brand to anyone.

Room Tip: Nearly every room has a great view of something: the oceanfront views are more of an upcharge, but y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LDorazio1
Dear LDorazio1,

We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with Evelyn, Alexander,Joan, Veronica, Dulce, YaFrancy, Carlos and Julian.

We hope to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana and thanks for recommend us!

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed for a week having wanted to experience this hotel for the last few years, the photographs certainly sell it.have waited for to long for thompson to publish my review. Staff on the whole are very good and will go out of their way to help you, however the reception often offered poor service for a pretentious 5 star. We had upgraded to a suite and believe me, for the money it was not worth it. if you have walking problems stay in the main hotel. a shuttle/ golf buggie runs to the various villas but three times during our weeks stay it broke down and you had to walk to the main road to pick up the larger shuttle that cannot do the small road. another problem was that we was the last block of suites and even though we called reception a couple of times the buggy was full even though we asked for it to be sent picking up other people on the way. also when the buggy broke down reception did not tell you and you waited and waited the hill is steep and the steps up to the hotel is many. another episode worth mentioning was the shuttle goes down to the village every hour till 2 o clock in the morning. we waited at twelve midnight for its return, when it did the driver went into the hotel. having waited a further twenty five minutes i went into reception to enquire, to be told that he was now checking in guests who had just arrived and would also then be taking their bags to the rooms.reception would not answer why he was not doing the check in for the guests.the shops down the town are i believe owned by the hotel and 75% about are empty.like previous reports we also caught the next shuttle back.another point to mention is being approached by the hotel fir free gifts if you join the family, ie a bit like timeshare. one of our travellers actually bought the package and it goes a bit like this.to join the club you are up- graded to a black wristband and you can also use your week or two weeks anywhere in the world if it is part of the bahia chain of hotels.the cost was about 8 thousand pounds and guaranteed you a room at any hotel for ten years but you still had to buy your flights then get a taxi to the hotel. if the hotel picked you up from the airport you are charged, further your food is included but you have to pay about £199-00 for the drinks package each time you stay.it might be good value for some,your choice make up your own minds.quite a few people were complaining about the italian a la carte but as we stayed clear of this cannot comment.as said before we up-graded the drinks package for premium / international drinks but even with this we still had to pay for certain drinks which is not clear. beach okay and plenty safe enough with no looky buys about.took the walk to the bridge to nowhere and it is starting to look a bit dangerous at some f the towers with the concrete crumberling away.still worth the effort for the photos.

Room Tip: if you have walking or breathing problems stay at the main hotel as most rooms have the same specifi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colinjan
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my second visit to this beautiful resort and as a returning guest I definitely got the 5-star treatment. I requested a room overlooking the bay and room 440 was perfect with a spectacular view both day and night. The food was even better than I remembered and the staff were exceptional, making me feel right at home. The food at the buffet was superb, always fresh with such a variety that there was something to please everyone, I ate at all three a la cartes and the food and service was first rate. The resort is small enough that after a couple days everyone seems to remember you and your "preferences". I would list staff names but everyone was so wonderful I would hate to leave someone out. Highly recommend this place and already looking forward to going back next year!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms but I especially enjoyed the view overlooking the bay, beautiful during the d...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank MarinaScott
Dear Marina,

First of all thank you for chosing us as your holiday destination for second time. We really appreciate you taking the time to post some valuable comments about your stay with us.

Second, we are so happy that you have enjoyed all our views,services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff.

We really hope to consider coming back to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#5 of 5 in Las Galeras
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!