“Not a place to party all night or be on a diet - good for some easy living!”

Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
Montreal
“Not a place to party all night or be on a diet - good for some easy living!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

One of the first things I noticed was the cleanliness and sanitation habits of the staff - at the main bar - where I spent most of the time- Dario will make you as many Brandy Alexanders as you can handle. All the waitresses were super friendly - Guillerma?? ran to get me chocolate cookies from somewhere without being asked. Francia, Milka, Eduardo, Carlos Carlos and Carlito and everyone else was awesome.

The animation team was fun - Carolin can teach anyone to dance - I didn't injure anyone for once - and Spagguetti(??) made BINGO as funny as any comedy show. Juan bartends at the night club and he is #1! haha There were no premium liquors included with the gold package so that was a slight disappointment as I was hoping for some - or a lot - of Bombay...

Buffet does not count as food but this place had a nice presentation and IThe restaurants included with this hotel are also really good - I had one of the most tender steaks with lobster - I hate seafood but still had their surf and turf twice! Jose (he looks like a mini version of The Rock from WWE) bends over backwards to make sure your meal is perfect and Claudio is always smiling.

I went to the beach once and the snack bar was not too impressive, but the late night kitchen got a quick inspection and looked very clean - I ate there every night after the clubs closed or you can order room service 24hrs. Santo was there at night and ran a lot of food out happily.

For the price it's good bang for buck - a jet tub, slippers and a bathrobe, and chocolates on the bed - but the buildings are old and in poor shape. I had a water leak in my room. Liz with guest services ended up offering to launder all my clothes at no charge which was fine with me. There is also a lot of noise from the staff yelling in the halls in the morning. We were yelling across the dining rooms too sometimes, so I can't complain, but you do hear a lot of noises from outside and from neighbours.

There is a long bridge with a couple of islands in a string - this is off property and you will see a warning sign. I was told there is a ghost who won't leave you alone untill you give him a dollar - a kid who says if you don't pay him he'll commit suicide - he jumps off the bridge and re-appears at the other end a few minutes later... didn't see him, but had a nice walk - about an hour or two so bring water - and you get to see some creepy abandoned military buildings overgrown by Mother Nature and there is also a small public beach on the first island.

The town is typical DR but shuts down at midnight during the week and 2am on the weekends. Do your research and be careful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank maxfrommontreal
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Max:

Thanks for your comments. Your point of view has quite surprised us, since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback. We regret to hear that the perception of your stay was not positive, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the Management.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services.

Kind regards,
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,123)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I only booked the trip 2 days before I left on 22nd August for 2 week break and had never been to Dominican Republic before. I loved the place, people and the music and will certainly return as had an amazing time. I have done alot of travel in Asia and Africa and felt safer here on my own. I walked in to town a few times on my own and was not hassled. The trips I did were really good and varied.My room was spacious and very clean and a good position and nice and quiet. I did have some problems with water leaking from the room above but this was dealt with promptly and thoroughly by the maintenance staff.The food was excellent and there was a good choice. I usually am fed up after 1 week of all inclusive food but enjoyed it for the whole 2 weeks. The waiting staff were very good and friendly, always smilling and ready to chat. The beach was fine and always able to find a bed. THe bar staff on beach, poolside and in hotel were very good.The Animation team were brilliant , the best I have encountered in my travels. Juan Carlos, Espagetti, Veronica, Calito and Evelin were great around the pool and were very professional but friendly and looked after me well and included me in activities as I was on my own. I loved the music and had plenty of opportunities to hear and dance to it around the pool, in the disco and on the terrace. It was great to have the animation team and especially Juan Carlos , Espagetti and Veronica for partners to dance with as I was on my own. I enjoyed the varied showtime entertainment. A great place and holiday and I would recommend it to anyone and will definetly return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
13 Thank angela l
Dear Mrs. Angela:

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had an awesome time in our Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel, and that you enjoyed the Service from our all staff.

Hope to see you soon on your next vacation experience in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two weeks, was good the food was good, the room was very nice, every time they clean the room they decorate it diferents and beautiful

I let my two towels on the beach and when I return not found, be careful with the towels because if you lose have to pay 20 dollars for each one.

the employees are very nice and friendly person , danny at the reception he is very helpful ,very professional if you need anything talk to him , markens he is very helpful too and very professional he work in privilege club and customer service anything you need contact him

thanks to them

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Davidjackson1017
Dear TripAdvisor member:

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our services. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us.

Once again, thank you so much for your review and we sincerely wish to welcome you again very soon to our Hotel Grand Bahia Cayacoa.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have enjoyed our stay in Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa. It was our first stay, but definitely not the last. The rooms are spacious and very clean, with linen service daily. Gorgeous sea view, excellent food, very helpful and friendly personnel. The quality of the beach and water is very good. The pool is very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank OkTatiana
Dear TripAdvisor member:

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in our hotel. We appreciate your comment and value your opinion for the overall betterment of our hospitality and service.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you had a fantastic time with us. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcome you next year in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel for one week in September 2011.

We have a brilliant time and the hotel was beautiful. It was rather small by comparison of other hotels we have stayed in, but this seemed to make it quite a nice atmosphere. The pool is quite small but the entertainment was probably the best we have encountered.

We went on two excursions whilst in Samana. One was to experience a day in the life of the people of the Island. This was lovely and a well worth trip however don't get ripped off on the cigars!
The other was a day trip to Barcardi Island! DO IT! You will not regret this day trip. It really was the high light of the entire holiday.

The cocktails were better than some I have in London! They put quite a lot of effort into this and it pays off. The rum is Brugal and is as good as Havana if not better!

The one thing I would tip people on is that the Dominican can be dangerous. Myself and my partner, who is 6'4 and big build, walked to the main strip of shops and were followed by someone asking for money. If you are a tourist you are spotted a mile off and it's obvious you have cash. Just be careful. However, there is a buggy cart that brings you to and from the shops which is very handy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank annie d
Dear Mrs. Annie:

Thank you so much for your kind opinion about our Grand Bahia Princip Cayacoa, we really appreciate it because it helps us to learn about our guest needs and satisfy them.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you had a wonderful time with us. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations. Your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcome you next year in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We recently returned from the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana. This was our second time to this particular resort in the past 6 months, and both times were absolutely amazing. We were there from August 26th to September 2nd, and prior to leaving the weather network had us all worried stating there would be thunderstorms everyday of our vacation! -- was a sunny 45 degrees every single day.

This resort is perfect for all types of people from young to old, from couples to groups of friends or flying solo. Last time we were a group of 8 people, and this time there was only 3 of us.

I would like to strongly reassure everyone that the town is perfectly safe, and a unique aspect of the trip.

Day Trips: We would like to strongly recommend the "Walk the Plank" zip lining. This was our second time doing this.To jump off the side of a mountain is such an exhilarating and freeing feeling, and you finish by swimming in a gorgeous waterfall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrK6pSk6Ejc&feature=share Check out this link of our friend doing some flips at the waterfall. !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Prince P
Dear Mr. Prince:

First of all please receive greetings from the Grand Bahía Príncipe Cayacoa. We would like to thank you for trusting and recommending Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are grateful for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive comments from our loyal guests; they will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services

We would be delighted to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best Hotel in Samana.

SCARBOROUGH
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had a fantastic vacation at this hotel in Samana,DR. The hotel is built on a hill overlooking the bay and the town of Samana. All rooms have a beautiful view. The rooms are spacious and very clean, with linen service daily. The rooms have a large balcony.
You can visit the beach, by using an elevator , so no climbing down any slopes. There is a bar at the beach and many lounge chairs and some cabanas. There is one large swimming pool near the main building and a few smaller pools at lower levels or near some cottages.
The food was amazing and very varied. they always had lots of fruit and desserts and they cater to anyone's taste. Fish, beef , pork ,chicken ,plenty of vegetables an Italian section and a salad bar. For breakfast you can have anything you desire. I would only avoid the a la carte restaurants as they waste too much time and the food is not that great. The Italian a la carte was a complete joke and the food was not even close to Italian. Everything deep fried and not a tomato in sight. so don't waste your evening there, but enjoy a great meal at the buffet.
The daytime entertainment was good, but the evening shows were not that interesting and the venue is very small and hot. You should enjoy a few hours on the terrace on the main floor with nice background music and often live music. The hotel also has a small casino.
Although the hotel was very good, our only complaint was that the lighting everywhere is very dim and the shower has a poor flow.
I would love to go back !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ben V
Dear Mr. Ben:

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Grand Bahia PrincipeCayacoa as your holiday destination.

We are very proud of receiving your comments, especially after knowing that we have been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction. We are glad to share your comments with the rest of our staff members. Also thanks for a lovely photo! a beatiful view from Samana town.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 60 in Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#60 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,096 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!