“amazing how all the staff works to make you feel at home!”

Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
“amazing how all the staff works to make you feel at home!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

overall it is a very good resort, it has everything you need to spend a fun vacation with your partner and friends.
What amazed me the most was the help that the staff fron guest service provided me. I came to the hotel with the idea of having a surprise for my husband because it was his birthday. I ran into Liza and Yuri who happened to be incredibly interested into fulfilling my requests!! The only thing was that they were not going to be working the day I wanted the surprise to be. So I waited until Yuderka arrived, because she was the one to be there at the time and day of the surprise.
Yuderka took my request and made it her own!! The surprise was PERFECT, my husband loved it!! thanks to her dedication and time!.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Emmarielle B
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor member:

Thank you for your kind note. Our team takes pride in providing an amazing time with our hotel and we are happy to see that we have accomplished our goal with you.

We appreciate your words about our Guest service staff. They will more than happy after hear about your review.

We cannot wait to see you back in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, for a perfect holiday in Samana,

Granb Bahia Principe Cayacoa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from 27th June to 11th July, booked through Thomson, £800 each all inclusive. This was the first holiday we'd been on together in 5 years so we were super excited!

Flight - 8 and a half hours on a first choice plane. Plane was fine, good leg room, seats reasonably comfy. Only complaint about the flight was I'd checked with Thomson 3 months before travelling that they could provide me with a gluten feee vegetarian meal, which they said would be no problem and unfortunately my meal had meat in it. A complaint is on its way to Thomson lol. Transfer to the hotel is 45 minutes through countryside where you get to see local communities.

Hotel - we stayed in room 529 on the top floor and were upgraded to a Golden room as we booked before the end of January. The perks of the Golden room aren't really anything special in my opinion - a robe, slippers and coffee machine in the room and use of a computer for 15 minutes in the Golden Reception but there is free wifi in the Reception anyway so not really needed if you have a smartphone or laptop. All ok as we got it for free but I wouldn't pay for it. Our room was lovely, king size bed which was super comfy and stunning views over Samana bay - beautiful at 5am when you're adjusting to the time difference! The maid came every day and we were treated to some cool towel birds and hearts on a few days! Air con was a life saver as the weather was very hot and humid. The grounds were immaculate, the grounds staff were out working every day to keep it nice and tidy. The main beach that you take the lift down to get to was lovely, the sand was nice and the sea was clear and calm. Locals do come on the beach but they generally don't bother tourists. There's a random bridge to nowhere that you can walk along (they were going to build a hotel at the end but ran out of money) but I would advise that you only go halfway then come back. There are big signs at the start of the bridge saying the hotel can't guarantee your safety on the bridge which is a bit disconcerting and the locals might follow you along it. The pools are great too - the main pool is big with a swim up bar but gets pretty noisy with the Animation Team trying to get you to play ping pong or volleyball so we only went there a couple of times. There are 2 other pool areas which are pretty quiet and we never struggled to get a sun lounger. The hotel itself is 40 years old so the decor is kind of colonial themed and a bit outdated but everything was clean and well maintained. We had no problems in our room.

Samana - this is town that the hotel is located in. The hotel is on top of a hill and there is a shuttle bus that goes down into the town every hour. The rep bigged up this place called the Pueblo Principe which is supposed to be a sort of meeting place for he other Gran Bahia hotels in the area. So we went down ino the town expecting this place to be busy but it was dead. Only one shop open and that was it. You can't walk more than a few minutes without being approached by a local trying to get you to come in their shop or go on their tour so if you don't like being hassled, stay away from the town. Yes booze and things may be cheaper down there but I'd rather pay a bit more in the hotel shops than feel nervous and on edge in the town. The resort rep Jessica will go and buy booze or whatever you want from the town and you just pay her back a few days later.

Staff - the staff couldn't do enough for you, waiters always offering to top up your drinks, bar staff replenishing your drinks without you needing to ask sometimes and the resort rep Jessica was lovely - she went down into town especially to get us some rum (dirt cheap at $8 for 700ml). My boyfriend thought the maids uniforms were a bit demeaning but I think they were just very old fashioned (and very peach).

Food - average really, a bit of a weird mix of stuff and pretty repetitive. Some things were amazing (my bf loved the wide variety of fish on offer and the ice cream was pretty good) but the salads were pretty boring and as a coeliac that's all I could really have that was definitely gluten free! I loved the fresh fruit, which was available at every meal and breakfast was ok - eggs, yogurt and fruit for me but there was a wide variety of things to choose from at least. I think you'd always find something to your taste but the main problem is the repetitiveness. There were themed nights which broke it up a bit but still. The cocktails were amazing - banana mamas and piña colads were my favourites! The main bar got pretty busy some nights but I don't think that's a big deal.

Excursions - we did 2 through Thomson, Los Haitises National Park (whole day trip) and the El Limon waterfall (half day trip). It is 45 minutes by boat to Los Haitises and the tour guide was very knowledgeable. You get to see lots of birds and even bats in the caves! You get to see mangrove swamps and walk through the jungle a bit. In the afternoon you go to Cayo Levantado, which has a gorgeous white sandy beach and crystal clear water. To get to El Limon you have to go on a pony trek through the jungle, which is awesome. The guides are local volunteers who live for tips so they try and do lots of things for you, like take pictures and point out things growing there. We swam in the waterfall which was great!

Tipping - I read a lot of things about tipping before we went and would say that in general the staff don't expect tips. As the rep pointed out at the welcome talk, it's an all Inclusive resort so tips are included too. Only tip someone you feel really deserves it. We only tipped the maid and the staff on the trips we went on. Oh and in terms of currency I would say just take US dollars.

Weather - hot and humid, not clear blue skies every day and it thundered a fair few times - amazing thunder and lightning actually, never seen anything like it! The sun was very hot though, even through the clouds. On our penultimate day we were hit by a tropical storm, we were on the edge of it so it wasn't really bad but it was torrential rain all day and some wicked thunder and lightning!

Overall, we had a fab holiday, we would probably go to another Gran Bahia hotel but as we prefer to go to new places, we probably wouldn't go back to Samana.

Room Tip: I think most rooms have a sea view but if you can get one overlooking the bay, I think the views are...
4 Thank Baggers24
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor member:

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this detailed review for your recent at our Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa.

We are really glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us, specially our services.

We work every day to satisfy our guest needs and to make their stay a memorable holiday and we are really happy to see that we did it with you.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts!

leamington spa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you want a peaceful and secluded bay(s) with reasonable beach AND want to walk in to a friendly Dominican town then this is A1. You might well get hassled a bit in the day but saying no does work. There are official guides waiting by the town stop point for the hotel shuttle .worth taking one for a couple of hours walk around. Evenings are fine..walked and sat on the prom with no interruptions at all.
The hotel is set in a beautiful bay with stunning views from our bedroom.
Staff are friendly and helpful and animation team are excellent esp those doing the beach games.
'Blackie,Blackie' aka Fernando is a master of getting a good vibe going..quite charismatic.
Food is OK..very good service and hygeine and good range...but the a la carte restaurants are a big letdown . We chose not to use them again in.the second week. (eg..sea food platter...bits of battered fish, a few stale prawns around a centre pice of lumpy mashed potato?? Veg lasagne..a sloppy stew with a topping most like cheese on toast!) And there's not enough Dominican cooking with the main offering on Saturday only. Breakfasts are good though with plenty of local fruit and veg .
Only other moan..didn't like the look of the Spa. Off hand staff at desk who quoted one price and then asked a higher when my wife showed up for a hair do. Chose not to have it or go back.
Great time overall.( Pity about the food. They really need to rethink what they offer.)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Mr. Jim:

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your last stay in Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa. It is great to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together with us.

We hope see you here soon!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Ok, where do I begin. I usually don't write reviews but this hotel made me compelled to. Let me just say that on any resort I visit, I don't expect too much. Just some decent food and good cocktails, this resort was lacking in both departments. I would give 5 stars to the staff only if I could, (most of them) are what made this vacation memorable. The entertainment staff and bar staff are really great and go out of their way to make your experience even better. Now on to the details:

The good: The hotel is really nice. The beach is better than I expected. I originally hoped to book a hotel that had a beach with white sand and blue water, but ended up booking here because my group had chose to do so. I was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was. It is great for swimming too. However, during our stay a storm washed in a lot of debris, which the hotel staff was cleaning up. The resort itself is nicely set up. It seems small when you first arrive, but it is actually much bigger than it looks. There are smaller pools around the resort, which are great if you want some quiet time to read. That's about where the good ends for me.

The bad: The food is horrible! I usually am not too picky with hotel food, and find myself looking forward to it the most whenever I go on vacation. That was not the case at this hotel. The breakfast is lacking variety desperately. It is the same exact thing every day, and there is not much to choose from. The bacon seemed very old and rubbery, which was disappointing as I am a huge fan of bacon. The lunch/dinner foods all tasted old like they had been staying out for a while, not fresh at all! The alcohol is super cheap. This is to be expected at an all inclusive, but this place really uses some crappy alcohol. Myself, along with my group, with the exception of one person ended up getting sick by the 2nd or 3rd day on the resort. We all had the same symptoms and still can't figure out if it's the alcohol or food in this place that caused it. This really ruined the experience for me, because by the end of the trip I hardly wanted to leave my room or enjoy the two things I paid for - food & alcohol!

Also, this place is NOT for young people. I expected the resort to be filled with 20-30 year olds considering it is adults only during the summer, however, it was filled with older people. I wish I had known this before booking, because I wouldn't have come. The club on the resort is lame, and there was barely anyone in there during the week long stay that we spent. I've found this at most other resorts that I've stayed at, which is usually why I try to leave the resort to experience the nightlife outside of it, but I wouldn't recommend this in Samana. I was told there is only one club in the town. We went into town a few times to explore and to eat at the restaurants there (amazing food!), I highly recommend doing that with a tour guide. A few people in my group were Dominican and spoke spanish, but we still didn't feel comfortable going alone, even during the day. The people stare at you and make you feel very uncomfortable, it's not very safe.

Excursions: We didn't do any, only went to Playa Rincon. I loved it there! I expected it to be filled with tourists but it was very quiet. They have a few restaurants there, we had seafood which was so fresh and delicious, and not expensive. Definitely worth the hour drive.

All in all, I wouldn't return to this resort, or use this chain of hotels in the future. It left a lot to be desired. I stayed at a RIU last year which had amazing food (and that was just at the buffet), so I had high expectations for a resort that claims it is 5 stars, but it is nowhere near that!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Anaaaa_M
Dear Mrs. Ana

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in our hotel. We appreciate your comment and value your opinion for the overall betterment of our hospitality.

We appreciate the observations concerning the food, activities and the drinks. As our goals are to fulfill those and meet our guests’ expectations, to turn the negative into the positive with finding solutions to our problems, we wish to welcome you back at our best and effective treatment.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Samana

cape town
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Toilet in our room was broken. Came to fix it but the fix lasted an hour. We didn't want to waste hours in the room with maintenance staff, so never really got resolved, but seemed place was just in need of more maintenance. The shower head was also broken, they had to fix that,
Cheap details, that they charge you to use the safe in your room, not really expensive but silly to charge for something like that. Also free wifi only works in lobby.
Sea is ok, not Caribbean blue, it's clear and green ish. Warm. Beach is ok, nice enough. On weekends its busy with locals who swim there, otherwise its quiet. Guys at one end selling cocounuts and curios but rip off with Prices compared to other places in the towns. Pool is big and clean. Staff at pool very friendly. Good atmosphere. Pool bar is fun. Bar staff nice and friendly.
Take trip to Caro levantado for better water- beautiful beach. It's not far and a nice day out. We had better water in punta Cana, so preferred that side of the island to samana.
Food was good, mixed selection at the buffet so sure everyone will find something they like, seemed fresh and tasty. Italian restaurant average but they make Nice effort, service v good just food a bit lacking in Flavour but depends what you are used to I guess.
Hotel bar in evening is especially lame. Terrible music - worse when it was live, and not much atmosphere. Seemed they could do more with it. We ordered mojitos on first night which took us to sleep immediately by 9pm, was a bit weird, as hadn't realized we were tired! Maybe lots of rum. Was a bit odd. Otherwise drinks were good..
Clientele seemed a very British crowd didn't notice many other nationalities there, a few french.
The hotel is nice, but a bit average. I am glad we only had 3 nights there, and then were to other resorts and hotels, which we thought much better, but I think depends on your expectations and what u want !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Philippad
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor member:

Our main goal strives in having a great ambiance to satisfy our guests' requirements; we regret very much that we were not able to fulfill your expectations this time. We value all feedback as it enables us to continue to improve and provide better service for our guests.

We sincerely hope you will consider giving us a chance to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My chap and I stayed here from the 27th June - 11th July in a Golden Suite villa/room. The hotel was lovely, the staff were fabulous, the views & room fantastic but the food could be a tad hit and miss but always something to enjoy however the town is horrible. We like to go 'off site' to sit in a local bar have a drink and lunch and watch the world go by and do some shopping but neither of us felt safe in Samana (actually called Santa Barbara), we have both traveled to many places and even felt safer in Cairo sightseeing alone to be honest (last year).

There is an issue with locals as well using the sunbeds on the beach and getting free food and drink from the beach staff this really should be stopped as we are indirectly paying for this. The weather wasn't the best but the hotel can't be blamed for the rain and the day of the tropical storm brought all the entertainment and games inside (which was nice).

We did 2 trips the jeep safari and the beach buggies/quads through Thomson (ok we may have paid a little more) but both were brilliant but if your into health a safety though, best not go!!!

All in all we had a nice holiday but it was fantastic hence the 4* rating, would we go back - No would we use another hotel from the hotel group - its a definite Yes.

Room Tip: We had room 3334 top floor in the Golden Suite section quiet, lovely room and views but you might li...
4 Thank Jane H
Dear Mrs. Jane:

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your last stay with us.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

Also we are glad to find out that there were some aspects you find worth to mention, especially our fabulous staff, views & fantastic rooms .

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Dominican Republic,

burlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We spent a great week at the Cayacoa first week of June, celebrating our 28th anniversary.
Customer Service was first class, we got the ocean view room we requested (in the main building) plus they pre-booked our al la cartes for us.
We flew Can Jet for the first time & had a great flight.
My Wife has always wanted to visit Samana and we weren't disappointed.
The scenery was fantastic, great views from everywhere in the hotel. Pictures don't do justice to the scope of Samana Bay.
The elevator to the beach was non issue, it was fast & efficient, we knew before hand the beach was cream coloured sand & smaller then we were used to (vs Cuba etc.).
The sand was never hot underfoot, nor did it blow up in the afternoon like the beaches in Puerto Plata.
I found a spot on the left side of the beach (where the buoy line meets the rocks below the "Bridges to Nowhere"), where there was lots of fish & decent snorkelling.
But we loved the beach here. We went swimming every day, never had a problem getting a beach chaise lounge, the bbq lunch at the beach bar was great (gave us more beach time!).
The food was really good, Thursday night was lobster night at the buffet, so try & book your a la cartes for other nights. The Gourmet restaurant, perched on the cliff was our favourite, followed by the Seafood. The Italian restaurant had quite different interpretations of "Italian" food.
The staff was amazing, Carlos (Carlito) was always smiling & one of the happiest people we've ever met.
Staying in the main building was central to everything, never had a problem with stairs.
Previous reviewers that moan about mobility issues etc. should have done their homework and not chosen the "Golden Club". The main building has great views & quick elevators to everything.
We booked a half day excursion to Cayo Levetado (Bacardi Island), thru the Thomson tour rep (Hi Jessica!). We were with Nolitours, but they didn't offer a half day trip. Best $25 trip, nice ride on a safe sized boat, drinks & beach loungers & all the white sand & turquoise water you want.
We took the shuttle bus into the town of Samana. You have to go past the hotel shops, to find good bargains. We met Patrico at his mini mart shop & he took us to the "free market" where the Dominicans shop, very cool. (felt safe!)
We got by with our Spanish 101 just fine, it was refreshing to be in an area that was not overly commercialized (like a Punta Cana or Puerto Plata). The staff were friendly and attentive, but didn't hang around expecting tips.
Kind of wishing we were sitting on the terrace, overlooking the lights of Samana, enjoying the music & the cocktails & the tropical breezes right now.....
Will we return to Samana? You'd better believe it!
Airport had a great duty free (not big, but well stocked). No lighters allowed on the plane in Samana. No problems all week at the resort with food, but meal on the plane on the way home gave us an upset stomach. Note to self: avoid food on the trip back!!!!!
Bottom line, great place to chill out for a week (10 days would have been even better).
Grand Bahia is an excellent chain of resorts.
Seasoned travellers (especially), will appreciate the beauty & uniqueness of this hidden gem, compared to so many over rated and commercialized "cookie cutter" resorts.

Room Tip: Main building, ocean view.
5 Thank zzscotland
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor member:
Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.
We greatly appreciate your comments about facilities, services, grounds and our staff; comments such as like yours are what motivate us as a team everyday to improve the quality of service that we offer and fulfill our commitment with customer satisfaction.

Thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts the best hotel in Samana to celebrate your anniversary. We hope to see you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#2 of 60 in Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#62 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,070 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!