I’m really not too sure how to review this hotel. I would like to start by saying this was a scouting holiday for the wife and I as we were thinking this hotel would be perfect for our wedding. I spent a long time searching this place and I will not lie. I have fallen in love with Samana.
It all started on Sunday when we checked in and got a standard city view room even though we paid for a superior ocean view. So, no big deal right? Yup, big deal. No other rooms are available because the hotel is over booked. I talked with the front desk and even though all I could really see from my room was city, I was told “This hotel does not have any city view rooms. All the rooms have an ocean view.” Well someone is not happy but I figure screw it I’m in Samana and I am going to have fun no matter the room, who stays in their room anyways? We aren’t really going to be in the room much so I will talk to the Air Canada rep Joel in the morning.
I check the safe, nope broken. I check the patio door, nope broken. I check the AC, nope broken. Ok, call the front desk and get them to fix this ASAP. Maintenance shows up soon after and fixes the door and AC but can’t fix the safe. We also found that our slippers and robes were not in the room even though they are included. So now we have wasted our first day even though we booked the early flight just to have a good start.
We head down Monday morning and talk to Joel and try to change rooms, nope not happening today. They will try again on Tues since some people are leaving. Again no problem, yup problem, the safe is still broken and we can’t get back in the room because the door lock isn’t working. They fix the lock and we book our tours and dinners then spend half the day trying to get the safe fixed. Ok, most of day two wasted. We did get into town since there were two cruise ships in so not all was totally lost.
We headed down on Tuesday and great news, Joel got us a new room. But, we have to wait till noon to change. We ran down into Samana after breakfast since we didn’t have much time to swim and needed to get a few things for friends. We come back and found the new room empty so we could check it out. The room was an upgrade and the view was great but the room needs a lot of work. Oh, and still no safe. We had made arrangements with a friend from Samana to take us out into the mountains so we had to hope the room would be finished when we got back. The safe was still broken, the bed comforter was missing, there were ants all over one wall, our robes had been removed and two lights were burnt out.
Wednesday we spoke with Joel again and he went to speak with the management about the safe, comforter, ants, lights and robes. We left for an excursion and didn’t get back till around 2pm, we found that nothing had been fixed. We did actually get a working safe after going back down to the front desk. Later this night Joel happened to be at the hotel and in passing we told him about the other things not being fix yet.
Thursday we went back down and reminded Joel about the items needed. He again spoke with management and later that day we had our comforter and robes. After our excursion we had the front door lock brake a total of 4 times. The seafood a ’la carte has to be the worst diner I have ever had. Not only is it not sea food, lamb and pork don’t swim much, but the one of two seafood items were WAY under cooked and made me a little sick the next morning.
Friday we finally got our light bulb and changed it ourselves. This is where everything worked out and the last three days were great.
Bahia really needs to put money into this hotel or people are going to stop going. Time and again we found small things that needed work and will soon be a safety issue. Handle rails not being solid, doors not having locks, none slip runners missing, and many other little things.
So, with all this said I also have to say that almost all of the staff at Cayacoa are great. I want to specially thank Jose A. and Altagracia from the animation team, Victor, Dario, Angel, and Manuel from the lobby bar and believe it or not Rolando and Ezequiel from the Premier Club. We would have left if it wasn’t for these people and of course Joel and Bart.
Samana is such a wonderful place and this hotel is in the perfect place to stay. The beach is great, not the white sand but still great. The lower/small beach is very nice to snorkel at and is very quiet. The upper pool is awesome and very lively with happy staff. The animation staff are none stop and great to dance with. I really hope Bahia makes a turn around on this hotel so my wife and I can go back next year and find that we want to hold our wedding here. I have fallen in love with this city and region and I can’t wait to get back and see all the changes Bahia has done.
So as you can see I don’t know how to rate this one. Any of these things on their own would have been nothing but all together it made for a very bad 4 days and a waste of half out holidays. I spoke with a few others and they all had a great time and couldn’t believe all the things that were happening to us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana