“I’m really not too sure how to review this hotel.”

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Oshawa, Canada
“I’m really not too sure how to review this hotel.”

Ok, Well.
I’m really not too sure how to review this hotel. I would like to start by saying this was a scouting holiday for the wife and I as we were thinking this hotel would be perfect for our wedding. I spent a long time searching this place and I will not lie. I have fallen in love with Samana.
It all started on Sunday when we checked in and got a standard city view room even though we paid for a superior ocean view. So, no big deal right? Yup, big deal. No other rooms are available because the hotel is over booked. I talked with the front desk and even though all I could really see from my room was city, I was told “This hotel does not have any city view rooms. All the rooms have an ocean view.” Well someone is not happy but I figure screw it I’m in Samana and I am going to have fun no matter the room, who stays in their room anyways? We aren’t really going to be in the room much so I will talk to the Air Canada rep Joel in the morning.
I check the safe, nope broken. I check the patio door, nope broken. I check the AC, nope broken. Ok, call the front desk and get them to fix this ASAP. Maintenance shows up soon after and fixes the door and AC but can’t fix the safe. We also found that our slippers and robes were not in the room even though they are included. So now we have wasted our first day even though we booked the early flight just to have a good start.
We head down Monday morning and talk to Joel and try to change rooms, nope not happening today. They will try again on Tues since some people are leaving. Again no problem, yup problem, the safe is still broken and we can’t get back in the room because the door lock isn’t working. They fix the lock and we book our tours and dinners then spend half the day trying to get the safe fixed. Ok, most of day two wasted. We did get into town since there were two cruise ships in so not all was totally lost.
We headed down on Tuesday and great news, Joel got us a new room. But, we have to wait till noon to change. We ran down into Samana after breakfast since we didn’t have much time to swim and needed to get a few things for friends. We come back and found the new room empty so we could check it out. The room was an upgrade and the view was great but the room needs a lot of work. Oh, and still no safe. We had made arrangements with a friend from Samana to take us out into the mountains so we had to hope the room would be finished when we got back. The safe was still broken, the bed comforter was missing, there were ants all over one wall, our robes had been removed and two lights were burnt out.
Wednesday we spoke with Joel again and he went to speak with the management about the safe, comforter, ants, lights and robes. We left for an excursion and didn’t get back till around 2pm, we found that nothing had been fixed. We did actually get a working safe after going back down to the front desk. Later this night Joel happened to be at the hotel and in passing we told him about the other things not being fix yet.
Thursday we went back down and reminded Joel about the items needed. He again spoke with management and later that day we had our comforter and robes. After our excursion we had the front door lock brake a total of 4 times. The seafood a ’la carte has to be the worst diner I have ever had. Not only is it not sea food, lamb and pork don’t swim much, but the one of two seafood items were WAY under cooked and made me a little sick the next morning.
Friday we finally got our light bulb and changed it ourselves. This is where everything worked out and the last three days were great.
Bahia really needs to put money into this hotel or people are going to stop going. Time and again we found small things that needed work and will soon be a safety issue. Handle rails not being solid, doors not having locks, none slip runners missing, and many other little things.
So, with all this said I also have to say that almost all of the staff at Cayacoa are great. I want to specially thank Jose A. and Altagracia from the animation team, Victor, Dario, Angel, and Manuel from the lobby bar and believe it or not Rolando and Ezequiel from the Premier Club. We would have left if it wasn’t for these people and of course Joel and Bart.
Samana is such a wonderful place and this hotel is in the perfect place to stay. The beach is great, not the white sand but still great. The lower/small beach is very nice to snorkel at and is very quiet. The upper pool is awesome and very lively with happy staff. The animation staff are none stop and great to dance with. I really hope Bahia makes a turn around on this hotel so my wife and I can go back next year and find that we want to hold our wedding here. I have fallen in love with this city and region and I can’t wait to get back and see all the changes Bahia has done.
So as you can see I don’t know how to rate this one. Any of these things on their own would have been nothing but all together it made for a very bad 4 days and a waste of half out holidays. I spoke with a few others and they all had a great time and couldn’t believe all the things that were happening to us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,128)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Staying at this hotel was an amazing experience!
The hotel was very clean..the staff so friendly and the food was GREAT!!!
The wine and drinks were excellent!
The beach and water were clean.You could see the colourful fish which we even fed!
I truly loved my stay there and would surely go back again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Mary154996
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Miss Mary154996:
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review about our property and for sharing your experience with other travelers.
Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests
We look forward to welcome you again in a near future.
Please write to us before you next trip, we will be more than happy to help you.
Albis Corredor
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in this resort for 1 week in the mid Feb 2013. The hotel is built into the nature such that you take a maximum advantage of its location, the scenic views around it and local atmosphere. I highly recommend this place, especially for those who look new impressions.

BEACH: Two beaches will help to accommodate your preferences and the life style: active and quiet/relaxing. Both beaches provide endless possibilities to swim. There is no corrals and you can enjoy swimming as far as you like. Make sure that you take advantage of catamaran, kayaks and snorkelling equipment at no charge (1 hr/day). Take kayak and explore the shore. There is a scenic bridge to nowhere, which we used to run in the morning. It is also fun to play with local people in volleyball.

DINING: The food selections is great as usually. All restaurants/buffets have stunning views. Wow! You can make up to 3 restaurant reservations per week of stay. Do it right away upon arrival, if you like. But, do not be disappointed if you miss it. The buffet does a great job.

SHOPPING at the hotel is quire reasonable. There is a possibility to go to the city (5-10 mins walk, or take the shuttle which goes every hour). The city is safe, but for the first time it is better to go during the day, then it is easy to orient. There you can find coffee at $4-5 per pack and good cigars from $3 each. The colourful shops grouped in the downtown belong to the hotel, so do not expect a competitive price there. If you fly back from Samana airport, it is better to shop for rom at duty free. The price is unbeatable there ($8-10 per bottle).

EXCURSIONS: The zip-line is great (about $100). The natural park is very impressive too: caves and islands. We saw whales, while traveling on a catamaran to the park. The stay at Levantado Island was not worth 3 hour, though. Snorkelling at the hotel is better too.

AMENITIES: The hotel is located on a mountain between two bays. It is relatively compact and has many stairs. The good workout is guaranteed, but you can skip it by taking a shuttle that frequently circulate between the lobby and other destinations. Enjoy life local music and dances in evenings.

Enjoy, you will love it :))

Room Tip: We stayed at Villas Laderas (junior suite) with a view on the bay. It was great!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Oleg R
Dear Oleg R:
First, we thank you for choosing the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa stay in the Dominican Republic.
Also thanks for taking the time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor.com, because your opinion is of great help to us in our effort to improve and achieve our main objective, which is to ensure complete customer satisfaction. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, the service and friendliness of our staff met your expectations.
Expecting to have another opportunity to welcome here with us!! and please remember write us before your next trip!!!
Albis Corridor
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our trip there two weeks ago (Jan./Feb. 2013.) I'd have to say it is the nicest (beautiful views) and trip we've been on so far. (We've been on several trips in various resorts abroad.) I've read many reviews about 'all the stairs and walking'. What I want to leave you with is this advice: don't let the comments about 'all the stairs and walking' deter you from staying at this amazing resort, otherwise, you may miss out on a great trip and wonderful place/experience. Samana is less known in the Dominican and it is part of its beauty and charm. Please keep reading....

We had booked the royal golden package and are so happy we did. The superior suite was large, beautiful and really wonderful. The bathroom was large and had a seperate shoer stall and jacuzzi tub. Our bed was firm and really comfortable.

What we didn't realize when people wrote about 'all the walking and stairs' is that the resort provides a shuttle service for those staying in the further (lower) parts of the resort, and, to all guests using the resort. So when we wanted to 'go up' (as it is built on a mountain side) we took the shuttle and we walked back down later. (Helped to keep the 'holiday weight gain' down to a minimum. lol.) The shuttles were always available and we never waited very long for one to either pass by, or, when we called one from our room to arrive. We liked the fact that there was plenty of paths and places to walk during the day or at night; we were always safe. So even after a late dinner, we could stroll around the resort and not worry about uneven ground on the paths to trip on, as all the interlocking brick is well laid out and even, or, worrying about being harassed when we walked around by 'non hotel guests.' It was refreshing. To have a great (quiet) view at different spots to stop at during the night, to just sit and listen to the waves rolling in below, to look up and see amazing views of the star-filled sky above, it was just awesome, and very romantic and peaceful. No matter where you went or decided to sit for a bit, there were inspiring views to admire. If you want to go to one of three beaches, there is even an elevator to take you to the largest (lowest) beach. There are four pools to enjoy and all have great views of the ocean when you are in them. Two of which have cool-water jacuzzis. Check out the pictures posted for the resort.

The grounds are extremely well maintained.The food was really good and selection was impressive; fruits were always fresh, meats cooked well, deserts good too. The (4)a la carte restaurants were tasteful and offered a nice variety of menus; the food was excellent. The staff were all wonderful; friendly, courtious, predominantly bilingual, reliable, and, always willing to take care of anything you needed.

The shuttle service also makes (free) on-the-hour hourly daily trips into the town of Samanam, which, is only about 5-10 mins. away for shopping or just to see the town.

I can't say enough positive things about this resort.; it was one of the best trips we've been on so far and would go back in a heart-beat
Note: We went zipling - two packages to choose from, (which was great and not too far to go to get there.) We took the day trip to the National Park (would highly recommend it) and were pleasantly surprised that it was all by boat so had a great day out on the water, were taken to see two caves, ate lunch at the eco-restaurant on another part of the main island, then taken to Bacardi Island with hosts a beautiful beach, and went swimmng and snorkeling. Our last trip was a half-day to see the Humpbacked Whales. You can book with the hotel or do what we did. There is a marine biologist who also does tours from town and it's about $35/person cheaper that way. Besides, she knows so much about the different whales (as she is observing the whales for study) and the information she provides while whale-watching is very interesting. All you have to do is go into Samana, head to the main marina, and ask the locals where to sign up for Kim's whale tour. They will respect that and show you where to sign up. Leave the hotel around 9:20 am and you should get a nice spot on the two-leveled boat. She knows where the whales are and if you don't see any, you get to go again for free. It is a very special event to see these magnificient creatures in their natural summer habitat.

All in all - great value for a wonderful resort. \\the only reson we figured that it is rated as a 4.5* instead of a 5* is because the nightly shows could use some upgrading/polishing. We didn't attend many but I hear the mah=gic show was good and the disco was fun.

Room Tip: If you get a chance, book the royal golden package, it's worth the updrage into the superior roo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lynn M
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Lynn M:
Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel.
Your opinions are important, allowing us to better understand the needs and requirements of our guests. Also your honest opinion can be an invaluable reference for other customers who are thinking of staying with us, which we deeply appreciate
In behalf of the entire human team of our Hotel we wish thank you the good reviews you've written through Tripadvisor.
Appreciating your valuable time and waiting to see you soon again,
Albis Corredor.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Without a doubt the most spectacular scenery I've ever had at a resort. We were in the Villas which are nice big rooms... but there is a fair bit of stair climbing required. Nothing difficult unless you have serious mobility issues. Our five-year old handled the stairs fine.
Big enough to have everthing you need -- small enough that it feels friendly.
Buffet food was very good -- especially the Calamari. The ala cartes were fine... the Italian is probably the best of the three.

Room Tip: The Villas 31, 32 and 33 are big and have great views... but you'll have to walk up a flight of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Blunbulls
Dear Blunbulls:
First, we want to thank you for your confidence in choosing to stay in Samana.
We also want to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.com, because your opinion is of great help to us in our effort to improve and achieve our main objective, which is to achieve full customer satisfaction.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay in our service Golden and it has met its expectations.
Waiting to have another opportunity to welcome you and your family at the Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa.
Albis Corredor
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just returned and loved our holiday. We stayed in the Golden Club room and had a beautiful room on the 3rd floor. As previously stated, the service at this hotel is unsurpassed. The staff is friendly, always smiling and very efficient. We had some minor problems with the room that were rectified immediately. We spent most of our time at the small beach near the Golden Club rooms. We had the beach to ourselves most of the time. There are rocks at the entrance of the beach, but we had water shoes so no problem. Once you go a few yards, the water is clear of rocks and just lovely. My husband went snorkeling on the far sides of this beach and saw many fish. Yes, there are many steps at this hotel, but since I like to work out during my holidays, I didn't mind. There are no aerobic classes at this hotel, and the aqua fit classes are not challenging at all. I don't like classes where you have to make a circle and hold hands and give each other massages. The a la carte restaurants were OK but we really enjoyed the food at the buffet. The walk into town takes 10 minutes and I bought lovely jewellery and a painting. I have traveled all over the Caribbean and the scenery at this hotel rates among the most beautiful I've ever seen. I would certainly go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelagent36
Dear travelagent36:
First of all we hope you had a safe trip back home
We are very grateful that you took the time to express your views on us. The customer feedback helps us improve and enhance our service. We are happy to see that we have achieved satisfaction.
We hope to have you in the near future with us, and please remember write us before your next trip!!
Albis Corredor.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It was amazing from start to finish. I would go back in a heartbeat! Traveled from Feb5 2013 - Feb12 2013

First, i want to start by addressing the complaints i read in other reviews before travelling, and debunk them now that i have traveled there.

1. Stairs - The resort is built on top of a cliff so yes, there are stairs to get to the lower areas, but it makes for amazing views of the city and the ocean. To accommodate this, there are ramps to all areas and the resort does offer shuttles, we only took them at check-in and check-out times though. There were a lot of older folks around who didn't seem to mind the stairs either and i even saw a few people in wheelchairs easily making their way around. Really, the stairs made for rock hard calves at the end of the week and worked off one or two banana mama's. If stairs really aren't your thing just stay in the main building. It's where the buffet is and the main pool, has an elevator to all rooms and another to the beach, and it is close to the theatre and Italian restaurant. Don't let stairs deter you from coming here, it's a really amazing place and i would walk up 500 stairs a day just to be there right now!

2. Too firm of beds - compared to what i'm used to at home, yes it was firm, but of course the mattresses anywhere aren't going to be the same as your bed at home. I had absolutely no problem sleeping on the king-size bed and never woke up with body aches.

3. Room Key to have the A/C work - we walked into our room and the A/C was already on with a third key card in the slot. Maybe it's a Golden Club thing, but we never needed to take it out and the maid always left it there (i read a few previous reviews that said people would leave it in when they left the room and the maids would take it) that never happened once. Also, don't discount the fan, it works wonders, even with the A/C off.

4. Slow wifi - this complaint from travelers angers me the most. Firstly, you're on vacation, why spend time on the internet! Enjoy the beauty of this amazing place! Second, they don't have high speed like we do back home, remember this is a third world country. Be happy they even have wifi and they aren't charging you a dime for it! It's totally 100% free in the lobby. We used it to check in with friends watching over our house twice during the trip. It served it's purpose of checking their emails and we were back to having fun on the resort.

5. Bridge to Nowhere - it did seem a little shady, but we went with a group led by Carolin, a staff member from the resort. I don't think i'd go out there on my own, but i highly recommend checking it out when the staff does the bridge tour. While crossing we saw dolphins playing in the bay and one local gave us a good show jumping off the bridge and into the clear ocean waters below. My boyfriends brother even got a compliment from one of the female locals hanging out there about how "beautiful" he was. All the Dominican ladies really seemed to love his tall dark and handsome everyday look!

6. Leaky showers - you just have to find the right angle for the shower head then you're golden. If anything, we just put a towel at the base and it soaked up any water that may have leaked out. Such a minor thing i don't know why people went out of their way to complain about it.

7. Small beach - the resort is on a point and yes it is a small beach, but it's beautiful. There is actually two beaches, one private one by the golden club area which is completely natural. There's a lot shade, but a lot of sun too. The resort didn't change much of the natural shoreline at all and let nature do it's thing. They do however clean the shoreline and try to get rid of seaweed and any debris. The other is the public beach. It's no huge stretch of shoreline but it's bigger than the private one and again, absolutely beautiful. It's the one the elevator goes down to. On friday nights they have a beach party down there, and have activities like archery and volleyball everyday. There are also no vendors at all on the beach unless you walk over to their area. On the weekends locals do come to the area but don't overrun the place like at other resorts. Chairs were always easy to find.

Now, for the multitude of positives:

Samana Airport
You land on the tarmac, which i've never got to do so i was excited about that. The airport is small and clean and you get your baggage quickly.

The bus trip
It was really easy to find our bus and our tour operator was great. She was really enthusiastic and was very knowledgeable about the area. It's about a 30minute bus trip from airport to resort which gives you a great mini tour of the towns and the landscape along the way. The really nice thing was they did check in on the bus, so we had the keys to our rooms and our bracelets before we even got to the resort. Also, the Cayacoa is the first resort the bus stops at which is a plus. I think it stops at two more resorts afterwards.

Check in
As soon as you get off the bus you are greeted with big smiles from the staff and a cold drink. As i said, we were checked in on the bus, but we arrived before 3pm so we couldn't go to our rooms right away. We let front desk know we were there and they took our bags. We got to the resort at the tail end of the buffet lunch hours, but they kept it open a little longer for us new guests to grab a quick lunch. Once lunch was done our rooms were ready and we were shuttled to our rooms with our baggage.

Rooms
We upgraded for only $3 a day and got the Golden Club package which i highly recommend. The rooms were beautiful and ALL of the rooms in the three buildings there were beautiful oceanview rooms. We were on the main floor of the three-floor building and still had an amazing view. I quickly saw into other rooms in the main building when walking to the buffet, they looked nice too, but the Golden Club rooms were amazing and worth the $3 daily upgrade. We didn't spend too much time in the rooms, basically only slept, showered and changed clothes, but when we were in there, everything was perfect. TV channels came in fine with a bunch of English channels including Cartoon Network (for us kids at heart) and it was always nicely cleaned. We got everything the Golden Club package touted - the jacuzzi, the oceanview, robes and slippers, a mickey of rum, always stocked mini-bar, turn down service with chocolates on our pillows. Also, we had two clean beach towels already ready for us in the room, so no need to go to the pool and request them on your first day. A friend left a note for the maid one day saying "mucho cerveza please" (yes he said please, no por favor haha) along with a $10 tip and got a few extra beers in his fridge.

Pools - i really enjoyed the triple-jacuzzi pool down by the snack bar and private beach, but the main pool is where the action is and the swim up bar. Chairs were always easy to come by at all pools. Fernando at the main pool was amazing and always sought us out to get in on activities, or to just come by and have a quick chat. He led activities around the pool such as ping pong, darts, domino diving, bingo and a few other activities every single day. He was truly amazing and such a bright spot when thinking back on our vacation. Carolin was also amazing. She helped get people into doing the activities with Fernando and led daily yoga and water aerobics. She led us on the bridge tour which was great. Even once the pool was closed, she was always able to find our group to hang out with us and share laughs. She's part of the show in the theatre (which turns into the disco at night) so afterwards she'd come by to dance with us until her shift was done. We all gave her big hugs on our last day and thanked her for the amazing time she gave us.

Disco - the theatre where the shows are performed gets turned into the disco immediately afterwards. It's not crazy busy with guests (they seem to prefer the show to the disco) but it's fun and the bartenders are a blast. Most of the time the DJ will let you play DJ and the animation staff in the show come out to dance and party with the guests.

Food - The buffet was always great, i especially loved the omelette bar for breakfast and the pasta bar during lunch/dinner. They also always had a lot of delicious soups. The theme of the buffet changed every night and there was always something delicious to fill up on, even for the picky eaters. The buffet even had lobster (for free!) one of the nights and always had a good variety of meat and fish. We didn't go to the seafood a la carte, but heard good things from other guests (seafood isn't really our thing, not even at home in Canada). Italian was ok, could have used more variety but what i ordered (tomato soup and lasagna) was delicious. The Gourmet was amazing, from food to presentation to attention from staff - amazing! By far the best meal of the trip! The snack bar was good too for the times you were too wet to go to the buffet. It had a nacho station that was always a crowd favourite.

Drinks - how can you go wrong with all inclusive! Presidente always flowing, Brugal rum everywhere! They had several different drinks on the menu with a daily special cocktail. The lobby bar has an even wider variety of drinks on the menu and makes the best drinks. Fresh fruit made into smoothies for Banana Mama and Pina Colodas and the most amazing mojito i've ever had with fresh mint leaves. There's bars all over the place so you never have to go very far for a drink. And if you order more than you can carry the staff never hesitates to bring you the drinks!

Excursions - There is two guys who walk around the pool and beach offering tours but you can also book through the hotel. We wanted an ATV tour and the guys at the pool didn't have one, but the hotel did so we went with that. It was an amazing day-long tour making several stops, including a stop at Rincon Beach, one of the top rated beaches in DR. You stop for lunch and a swim at Rincon, which I believe is part of a national park. There's another stop where you're shown how Dominicans make chocolate, coffee, honey, vanilla extract and mamajuana - with little taste tests of everything! The guy leading the tour was awesome, really funny and very knowledgeable. He easily was able to switch from English to French (it was pretty crazy, but all of us on the ATV tour were Canadian - either from Ontario or Quebec - and he never missed a word in either language!)

We were a group of seven and had an amazing time. Again, Fernando and Carolin of the animation team really made our trip amazing every single day. There was also another bartender to mention, Marilin, who was so nice. We saw her a lot at the snack bar and at the disco. She was always smiling, especially when the boys of our group called her Rhianna (as she looked so much like her, but in my opinion, way more beautiful haha)

There weren't many kids, but for the few that were there, the staff seemed really accommodating and the kids also seemed to love the staff back just as much. Several times you could catch some of the staff members playing with the kids and playfully braiding little girls' hair. I saw a few kids club areas, including one on the beach where kids were painting and making art. The entire staff is so nice, just walking down the walkway you'd see a gardener, a maid, the towel guy, they'd all say hola and give you a big smile.

It seemed to rain a little in the mornings, but always cleared up after breakfast, just in time for all the fun to start at the pool and on the beach. It never once rained enough to ruin our day or even wipe the smile from our faces. I would go back to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great resort.

Room Tip: if you really hate the idea of stairs, stay in the main building. Rooms are nice and there is an ele...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank rainbowbre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#5 of 5 in Las Galeras
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!