“Excellent vacation, great people.”

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent vacation, great people.”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I were here from Nov. 24-Dec. 2nd it was fantastic!

The ANIMATION TEAM WAS GREAT!

Fernando,Carolin(Esparanza), Yeison and Juan were all great and very accomodating. Carolin is a great dancer, no doubt how she stays so fit, Fernando is not that good of a ping pong player but he tries, so sometimes I let him win:) They work all day and then again at night during the theatre show, I don't know how they find the energy so when you are here make sure to tip them individually.

The swim up bar staff were great Christian J and Pierre were great too, always smiling and willing to make any drink you request. They never ran out of anything which is surprising because there were so many drinks to be made. No doubt because Carlos kept all the wet bars running.

This was a very nice and clean resort the buffet was pretty good everyday and we only did one a la carte which was the gourmet but it was mexican night at the buffet (very awesome) so I ate two dinners that night.

Air Canada guy didn't seem too interested in helping with anything unless he could make a buck off you but he did what he needed to do and that was fine. Location was great pretty close to the excursions we wanted and 2 minutes to the town.

Of course, the people you meet have a lot to do with your holiday too so hi to Will, Leavy, Miguel, Scott, Danny and Shireen.

If you read some bad reviews and pictures about this place think about what they are saying and the pictures they are taking before you decide not to come here. I'm sure if I crawled under a sink, contorted my back shone a light behind a pipe I might find something I wouldn't want to in any hotel or home, if there is a bit of mould or water damage who cares really? you aren't buying the place and it didn't ruin your vacation you ruined your vacation, stay home and be miserable.

Happy times!! Jason and Corinne.

Room Tip: pay for it
2 Thank Jason H
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Mr. Jason & Mrs. Corinne,
We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs and we are so happy to see that we did it with you and you have a memorable holiday. I will share your comments with all our team.
We are a small hotel and we do everything possible to make feel our guests like part of this great family. In the name of our staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahía Príncipe Cayacoa and we hope see you very soon in our property
Albis Corredor,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I travel to the Caribbean 2-3 times every year and Samana is now one of my favorite spots. It is different, not many tourists, locals are friendly and secluded and wild beaches around Las Terrenas and Las Galeras are just unreal.
We purchased Air Canada Vacations Roulette deal and didn't know where we'll end up. All Roulette people were sent to Cayacoa this time.

Pros:

• Service in the restaurants is the best I’ve experienced in the Caribbean (professional, kind, clean, pleasant). They smile all the time. It brightens your day indeed.
• Very clean place.
• Located within a small bay, the hotel is L shaped with breathtaking views from all the rooms above the 3rd floor.
• The location is just perfect for venturing off. 20 min walk from the local bus stop, 15 min walk to Samana town, 15 min boat ride from Cayo Leventado, an hour gua-gua ride to Las Terrenas or Las Galeras.
• Fairly decent food at the buffet and great food at Orquidea a la carte restaurant. Buffet always had excellent grilled fish (grouper and dolphin fish) which is what we enjoyed the most.
• Check in was easy and fast.
• Reasonably priced upgrades: larger ocean view rooms ($16/night) and villa suites ($30/night). Villas are situated on the other side of the hotel property; they have their own swimming pool and restaurant opened for lunch. If you like peace and quiet, you can stay in one of the villas and have your own private pool. There were usually less than 10 people around that area.
• Quiet and good working A/C.
• Lobby and common areas look great and pleasant.
• Free shuttle bus to Samana.
• Free Wi-Fi in the lobby.
• All rooms have some sort of water view so no need to upgrade unless you want to have bigger room. They are either facing Samana Bay, Cayo Leventado or small Cayacoa beach.
• If you like to snorkel, you need to go far (tip between two beaches has huge corals and colorful fish). We went snorkeling right off the main beach towards “the bridge to nowhere” and saw beautiful corals, star fish and a school of papagayo fish. The water was calm and clean. Good snorkeling spot is also between two Cayacoa beaches. Although the colour is not crystal blue, the beach is ok when the water is clean. The other day the garbage was floating. I’m not sure how this works; perhaps it depends on the waves and the weather.
• Main pool is clean and well maintained with very comfortable beach loungers. Very seldom for me to say, but I enjoyed lying down by the pool. It is on the cliff and has an amazing view. Very busy area of the hotel, there is something happening all the time: volleyball game, aerobics, salsa classes etc.
• We received a phone call from guest services asking if we needed anything and if all is well. Very nice gesture.
• Many European visitors: Germans, French, English, Italians, Russians.
• Great place to relax and unwind. Not recommended for young people looking to have fun and party.
• No other hotels around, it feels like real Dominican Republic. You can walk to Samana town (15 min) or take shuttle (2 min). Not much to see but it is authentic.

Cons:
• The Beach: disappointment #1 for us. There are two beaches at Cayacoa, dark green, murky and not clean. If you decide to go snorkeling you will notice all kinds of garbage at the bottom of the ocean including used condoms, plastic containers, pieces of glass, containers etc. Since this is the only beach in Samana town, some cruise ship people found their way here so it can get busy. You also have many locals trying to sell cigars, jewellery etc.
• Beds and pillows hard and not comfortable.
• Very few employees at Cayacoa speak English. This didn’t bother me at all because I speak basic Spanish but people were getting frustrated trying to get basic questions answered.
• Reception disorganized. When we tried to upgrade the room, we received different information from 3 different people including how much it costs, what’s available etc. Finally 3 days later we managed to get what we asked for. Unfortunately we were overcharged and after speaking with the customer service manager, they agreed to refund the overcharge. The customer service manager was really nice and apologized for the mistake. She is originally from Venezuela, great lady with great people skills. In return, we received free late checkout.
• Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays cruise ships are in town and it gets very busy.

Recommendations:

1. When you get down to the main beach, go all the way to your left and you’ll notice some local guys sitting around. One of them speaks English very well and offers great prices for Cayo Leventado (beautiful white sandy beach) and other excursions such as El Limon waterfalls, National Park, Playa Rincon beach etc. I have his contact info should you decide to venture off.

2. If you are really adventurous, take gua-gua (local “bus”) to Las Galeras or Las Terrenas, $3 pp one way. Travel with locals on a pick up truck and practice some Spanish.Visit Playa Rincon (Las Galeras), Playa Coson and Playa Bonita (Las Terrenas). All 3 are beautiful secluded beaches. If you need more details how to get there, please feel free to ask.

11 Thank Toronto_Serb
División Cuarto... B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor member:
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in our hotel.
We appreciate your comment and value your opinion for the overall betterment of our hospitality. Also we appreciate the observations concerning the service and the staff, as it has helped us to reinforce the operational practices that are executed once a day. Indeed, our front desk Manager had a meeting with all the staff in order to improve communication.
For me and my team was a pleasure meet you and your husband. Thanks again for your kind comments and we hope due to the uncommonness of one experience have not overshadowed your perception of Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.
Please rembember write us before your next stay,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from this hotel. We were there from Nov. 25 to Dec. 2. Everything about the place was wonderful. All of the staff were professional, friendly and helpful. The hotel was extremely clean. I was honestly trying to find a spec of dust and I couldn't. The pool was nice and well-kept and the a-la-carte restaurants were great. We only made it to the Gourmet and the Italian. We wanted to go to the seafood one but it didn't work out. There were couples, families and groups of people at the resort all having fun. Each night there was entertainment in the disco. The shows were great. One night was Keraoke (no clue how to spell that). It was hilarious. One night was movie night. 2 nights were dance shows that were awesome and one night was a wonderful party on the beach. The animation team made sure everyone was having fun all the time. We would especially like to thank Fernando. He was so funny, friendly and personable. He is a great asset to the staff at the hotel. All in all... a great place. The only thing I could complain about is that our bathroom was really small.... but... totally minor. A wonderful place. I would go back for sure!

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor. Great view and no musty smell. We had to walk through the bottom floor to g...
5 Thank Megan A
Dear Mrs. Megan,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa.
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen us as your holiday destination. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your wedding anniversary and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you will probably be coming back.
We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've stayed here with my boyfriend in October, and I can say that this hotel was heaven on earth. The 3,5hours between the airport and the hotel was worth. The room was big, the bed was enormous, our balcony faced the terrace, which was the only negative thing I could say about the room, because on friday/saturday night the music would prolong until early hours of the day, which for people who wants to sleep can be very frustrating. the beach was very quiet apart from weekends, when the locals would "invade" the beach. The animation team was great, always trying to keep us busy, even when during "Sandy", when the rain wouldn't stop. The food, was ok, there was always something that you would like to eat. The staff from the restaurant was excellent, always trying to makes fell at home. A special thank you to José (he is on the a la carte restaurants). The Mediterranean was amazing, we did return because the food was sooo good, the location was very pretty was well. We went to the spa, and they were very professional, and the massage was amazing. I would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room facing the terrace, or you'll not be able to sleep during the weekend ni...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sandocas82
Dear TripAdvosor member:
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments about your recent stay at our Hotel. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.
We are delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to Samana. Is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff, especially to Jose from Restaurants.
Once more, thank you for your comments,
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We Spent 7 nights in Samana, Cayacoa. There are 6 of us (3 couples) that love to travel together yearly, and we just got back from this resort a month ago, it was GREAT! The weather was Hot!
The rooms were comfortable and they had great food. We went to 3 a la carte's during our stay and they were fantastic! But most of all I want to comment on the staff: The reception desk upon arrival was very quick, friendly and accommodating. The dinning room was beautiful, well staffed and the employees were extremely friendly and always smiling (very inviting). In particular I'd like to mention a few employees that stand out in our memories: Dady's at the Buffet, was always making sure that guests were taken care of and content, he was very professional and so kind and caring and a very friendly man. Another staff member that stands out at the buffet was Vanessa, she had the brightest smile and genuinely looked like she was happy to see us every day. Then there was Claudio who worked at the A la carte's he was so funny and made us laugh each time we saw him, it was such a pleasure to be served by him.

I've saved the one of our favourite employee's for the end because he truly made our trip an absolute blast - Fernando who worked around the pool. Fernando always had a smile, made us laugh every time we went to the pool. He has a special way with people, he would walk by the guests sitting on their chairs and you could see them smiling and laughing as he passed by them each and every time. That is a special talent to be able to see the same people day after day and be able to remember certain comments that would make them laugh. When he wasn't working or around the pool, things were much duller and we missed him. He was the life of the party around the pool. I hope these employees are still there when we plan our next trip to this resort. All in all it was a great all inclusive experience :)

Room Tip: It depends what type of room you like, if you want extreme privacy they have superior suites that ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LindaMary324
Dear LindaMary 234,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate the impressions of your vacation with our Tripadvisor community. It is clear that our customers are the most important, naturally so are their comments
It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk, animation and Food & Beverage departments and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent a week at this resort and I very much enjoyed my stay.

The hotel is nice and clean, the food was very good.

The best was the service from employees at the hotel. Dario and Angel from the Lobby bar were great, they kept us entertained and were good company over all. Carolin will try and make you dance with her, she is very nice. Those were the most noticeable to me, but pretty much everyone has a smile and is happy to help you.

Sadly, the most fun was the last night of the trip, which made it hard to leave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jonathan_J_C
División Cuarto... B, Public Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Mr. Jonathan_J_C,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, as this is the best way for us to continue to improve in all areas.
We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs and we are so happy to see that we did it with you and you have a memorable holiday with us. We will pass your comments to our staff, they will be more than happy
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I am an airline pilot and have had the pleasure of staying in some of the finest hotels around the world over the past 32 years.The hotel is very nice and the staff are great.The rooms however do have some issues.The beds in a lot of the rooms are well worn,if you don' mind rolling into the dip in the middle you won't care.Electrical,the lamps at the head of the beds were falling apart and our son got a shock.The sliding patio door wouldn't lock and was missing the outside handle so it made coming back in a little tricky.Check the room carefully upon initial entry and change it right away if you are not happy.Food and bars were good.Stay away from the cigar salesmen that come to the bar, if you don't know your prices you will be ripped off.The beaches at the hotel are not good.If you go into Samana you will be mobbed.Bargain for everything,if the asking price is 100 offer 10 and don't go over 15,trust me I've bargained from Beijing to Jeddha.The worst I've saved for last.I love snorkeling and have done it all over the world. Never anywhere have I encountered so much garbage.Plastic floats everywhere (including condoms)and the bottom is covered in just about everything that won't float.All of the garbage and sewage from Samana (pop. 25500) washes into the harbour around the point from the hotel and spreads out as far as Bacardi island,the site of another Gran Bahia hotel.I would not be surprised at if the water quality would not pass North American or Northern European fecal coloform tests.I would hope that the Portillo and Punta Cana are better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Larry767_12
Dear Larry767_12,
Thanks for write your impression regarding your last stay with us.
We appreciate the observations concerning the service and the staff, as it has helped us to reinforce the operational practices that are executed once a day.
Indeed, our Housekeeping manager had a meeting with the staff im order to correct and improve all your observations.
We are sorry that we were not able to impress you with our services. Please let this not be a motive to not stay with us in the future as I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality and promptness of our services. We hope that this one experience has not overshadowed your perception of Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Grand Paradise Samana
Grand Paradise Samana
#5 of 5 in Las Galeras
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa? Share your experiences!