My husband and I chose this property for our vacation. We travelled from Oct. 20-Nov 3/12 through West Jet Vacations. Great price for the 2 weeks, and we know that a lot of the reason for that is because we were travelling out of season. This was our third trip back to Dominican, we first travelled to Punta Cana, second to Cabarete and then finally to Samana. Samana is much smaller, much more of an agricultural province than the other two, which means it has kept a lot of its natural beauty.
On arrival to the hotel we were quickly checked in and greeted witha welcome drink. No issues, quick, friendly service.
Our room was on the 5th floor (5 story complex) of the main building, which is where all the standard rooms are. Rooms are nice, fairly standard, always very clean. Air conditioning always worked for us. I especially liked all of the "energy saving" efforts that the hotel has made. When you leave your room you take your room card out of the slot, which sort of acts as a breaker so lights and AC aren't left on while you are out. The balcony door has to be closed for the AC to come on, and through a lot of the lobby etc the lights in the bathrooms are on a sensor... Back to the rooms. There was a t-shirt for each of us, a bottle of rum and some welcome information. We had an issue with the toilet running which maintenance came and fixed within 10 minutes.
We didn't see inside the junior suites but they are all located in off buildings from the main building, which are quite the hike to get to the restaraunt. Doesn't seem like it was worth the money. Also, almost any room in the hotel would have a great view. Our room faced towards the terrace and the harbour side of the bay. The terrace could be kind of loud some evenings, this was the only downside.
The food in the buffet was good. Neither of us are picky eaters at all and could always find something to satisfy! The al la cartes were also nice. Italian, Gourmet and Seafood, don;t think we had a "bad meal" there, obviously some better than others, but again, not picky.
The selection of international liquor was nice, they would often run out of the premium stuff earlier in the eve, but always lots of rum!
The service staff at this resort are all amazing. Everyone was very willing to go the extra mile to make sure we had a great stay. Some of our friends from the restaraunt staff: Dadys, Yessel, Carlos, Claudio and lots others really stood out. Bartenders: Angel, Dario, Victor, Manual, Carlos were all not only great bartenders but awesome people. Front desk service staff Danny was always so so helpful. And Juan and Ezekial from the Privledge Club were always a great conversation!
The location of the hotel was absolutely breathtaking. The view out to the bay, looking down off the cliff.. even by the end of the 2 weeks I was still easily wowed by the beauty.The way the town of Samana was across the small bay, with it lit up at night was also really nice. The grounds were well kept and manicured. As a note, there are a ton of stairs at this resort. There is an elevator down to the beach and a cart that will go from the lower level restaraunts and the main building, but we just generally walked. May not be ideal with small children or those who require lots of assistance in these circumstances.
The beach definately isn't Punta Cana, the sand is more the shell brown colour, and the water still bluey/green, but not the picture perfect blue. The stretch of beach is fairly short, but there were lots of chairs available. The nice thing since there isn't miles and miles of beaches, and because of the location of the beach there were minimal people trying to sell trinkets on the beach. There were a few shops right at the end of the beach and every once in a while they would come by, but it definately was not constant.
Due to the nature of the beach being in the mouth of a bay, there was often some garbage from the ocean floating in. This was most evident after a lot of rain/wind. The hotel staff was very quick to have someone raking the beach. A bit beyond their control.
There were nightly shows, which were pretty good. Nothing to rave about, the Viva Los Vegas one was pretty good though. The animation staff worked all day putting on lots of games and activities and then were in the disco at night for the shows. Lots of hard workers!!
The hotel chain has a Privelege Club that they will try and get you to go to a presentation at one of the sister hotels. It is not a time share, but similar idea. A few couples that we went to the presentation with actually bought into it, it isn't an awful deal, but only really useful if you do travel a lot. We went our second day in and no one bugged us after that because we had been. In fact the guys who work for the privelege club were really nice. Juan and "Easy to kill" (Ezekial) we made friends with.
All in all we had a great vacation, a great honeymoon (despite a few days of rain in the first week from superstorm sandy). We would go back in a heart beat!
Thanks Bahia Principe!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana