We just got back yesterday from a week in paradise. I went with my hubby and our six year old child. Let me just say, we have traveled quite a bit and this was one of the most beautiful places. The resort is on top a hill and the view is FANTASTIC.
The resort is actually quite small but very well looked after.
Let's see where to start.....
The bus ride to the hotel is a little scary and I tend to get a little car sick so it was the least favorite part of the trip. Nothing a little gravol won't cure.
When you get on the bus the will actually have you set up in a room already. All you have to do is pick up your keys when you get to the hotel. Very helpful!
We stayed in the main building, room 203. It was PERFECT!! The view of the ocean was breathtaking and our front door was right on the courtyard so we had easy access to everything. PERFECT SPOT! Ladies don't forget conditioner for your hair as the toiletries provided are shampoo and body wash only.
FOOD: The food here is very good!! We are not very picky and are well used to the food in Cuba, but it really is very good. I am not a vegetarian by any means but this resort is PERFECT for vegetarians!!! There was such a variety of delicious vegetable options that it seemed to be all I ate. I had the yummiest pasta and bean salads there. I loved all of the breads and the fish selection was the best I have ever seen. We tried all sorts of fish that we had never heard of and it was all great.
We went to two al a carte restaurants and they were both good. We ate at the Italian and the seafood one. Steak and Lobster Mmmmmm. Both restaurants had children's menus and my daughter loved everything. The seafood one has this apple tart with real vanilla ice-cream for dessert. Possibly the best I have ever had.
We heard excellent things about the other one but couldn't get a 7pm reservation and our daughter would turn into a monster if we didn't feed her by then.
**** MAKE YOU RESERVATIONS AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE ****** We waited until after our orientation with our west jet rep and we didn't need to wait
There is a really good snack bar by the lower beach. We ate there once and the selection was really good.
BARS: We spent most of out time at the main pool and the drinks were always tasty. Remember you must specify if you want alcohol in some of your drinks because the will often make a non-alcholic version if you don't ask for rum in your pina-colada .
Angel and the bar in the main lounge is very kind and such a hard worker. We noticed all the staff work from morning to night EVERY DAY.
ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment crew are VERY HARD WORKERS. The need to be "on" all the time. I could never do what they do. I would defiantly lose my cool on a few drunks who thought they were funny and kept trying to push me in the pool. There is a very sweet girl who runs the kids disco and she has the patience of an angel.
The disco "area" is very small and can be very hot but these dancers are trying their best and I really appreciated it!
SHOPPING: When we were arriving the hotel we were informed to be careful about going into town to d shopping. You must barter for everything by at least 1/2 of what their starting price is. I am a pretty savy shopper but I totally got rooked in town on a picture.
There is a small store right by the hotel. The man has two parrots outside of his little store. It is right across from the spa at the hotel. HE HAS THE VERY BEST PRICES FOR ART AND JEWELRY. His prices were 50-75 % cheaper than in town. I was totally shocked. I first stayed away because I thought that his prices would be too high since he is on the hotels property. I was totally wrong and he is very nice to deal with.
We went to the little food mart in town to pick up our vanilla and coffee. Way better prices there then anywhere else. It is about a 5-10 min, walk to the left of where the shuttle drops you off. If you can get past all the store owners trying to drag you in to their store it will be worth it.
We didn't go on any excursions because they were not really for kids, so we were plenty happy to hang out at the resort.
As far a tipping goes.... It is a very personal thing. We do tip as I want to, but not everyone does and the service is exceptional either way. I did like leaving school supplies for many of them for their children as well as pretty hair accessories for the ladies hair. They really seemed to appreciate it. My hubby brought several used baseball gloves and baseballs and we walked down the hill to see all the children playing baseball and we have the gloves and balls to the coach to hand out to the kids. They were very appreciative. We were treated to a little baseball game and I am quite sure some of those kids will be professionals one day. They were great!!
All in all we would go back tomorrow!
p.s. Make sure your suitcases are not over 50lbs as you will be charged at the airport
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: Main pool with Jacuzzi surrounded by a sun terrace 3 beachside hydromassage tubs Loungers, sun umbrellas and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Wedding gazebo Buffet-style main restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars, cocktail lounge, chill out zone, 1 snack bar Sports facilities: gym Pueblo Principe: Shopping and leisure mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars and disco. Rooms: 295 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Standard with Sea View, Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror. Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Terrace WiFi (no additional charge) Junior Suite: sitting area, sofa-bed and ironing set Club Golden Junior Suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Park Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Auditorium for corporate meetings Panoramic lifts Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa Samana