“Quiet, tranquil, and mesmerizing”

The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Samana Province
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel rests tranquilly next to the water. There is a quiet boat marina facing the hotel. The two critical edge pools can easily accommodate the number of hotel quests. I enjoyed the three nights simply relaxing, reading, and listening to music. The lobster is an excellent value served at the restaurant. The wifi needs improved. Wifi was weak in the lobby and weaker in the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I spent one week at the Bannister Hotel in February. It was a great place to visit. Lovely hotel and beautiful grounds. The view from the balcony of our room was fantastic. The sunsets were stunning. We ate at both the Regatta and Cafe del Mar. The food was wonderful. Located at the Puerta Bahia Marina, there is no beach, but the two infinity pools on the property are very nice. We spent many hours lounging by the pool in front of the Cafe del Mar. Stunning view!!

We also booked a couple of activities through Escapde de Samana. They are located in the hotel lobby. We booked our whale watching through Fabrice. He was so very helpful. Arranged our taxi and was there to see us off and when we returned. We also rented a boat to take us to Cayo Levantado. Great time! Again, Fabrice was there to see us off and greeted us on our return. Excellent service!

We also took advantage of the spa that is located in the hotel. Great massages and the ladies working there were very nice.

The staff at the hotel were very helpful and nice. Room was always clean and they would wash and put away any dishes we used. Just a great hotel. It was not crowded while we were there, which was an added bonus.

Only negative we would give the hotel is the lack of Wi-Fi in the rooms. Necessary to go to the main lobby for that. Not major, but would expect a little more from this hotel. Definitely recommend this hotel if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Try for the 4th floor, ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Bannister hotel when going Whale Watching.

Finding the hotel...We thought the hotel was actually in Samana (the downtown part) but it is actually before it. So that was a bit of a challenge finding it. It is located IN the Puerto Bahia - which is the Marina. There is clearly a sign for Puerto Bahia, but we went right on past it the first time. Puerto Bahia is before the town of Honduras, which is before Samana's downtown Pier area. From the Samana Pier to the hotel is about a 7 minute drive. Once you enter Puerto Bahia - you need to basically keep going as straight as you can to get to the marina. There are a bunch of condos/townhomes...just keep going. The hotel is right in front of the Marina.

The hotel is BEAUTIFUL. Very clean and the staff is friendly. We got welcome cocktails (whatever we wanted from the bar) on arrival, and was given our "Oceanfront" room #301. DON'T take this room if you really want an Oceanview. The room was cute enough, but it only has a side view of the marina from the sitting room, and a beautiful view of the side of a building and the parking lot from the King bed. Major Bummer!!!
SO...I went back down to the check-in area and asked to be moved to a true Oceanview room. I was told that the hotel was sold-out (hard to believe, since I only think I saw maybe 2 other couples there the whole time), but that the did have one other room that they could give me, but it wasn't cleaned yet. So 1.5 hours later, my husband and I walked into Room #311. WOW...beautiful view, large full kitchen, big balcony, clean, perfect...almost...it had only a full & single bed in the bedroom. Since this wasn't our honeymoon :) we stayed in this room.

Two other odd issues: in Room 311 there was some 'banging' noise coming from the ceiling in the bathroom. It only happened every 10 minutes or so, so we eventually got used to it and could sleep. The other thing was BOTH nights somewhere between 1am & 2am the hotel's fire alarm sounded for a few seconds. It was turned off quickly both times, but definitely something you can't sleep through. (I never did ask why it happened!)

Food - the Italian Restaurant was Delish! Worth every penny! The service was great, and the food even better. The Seafood Restaurant (something Mar) was just ok. It was expensive and the food was bland. However, again, the staff and manager were incredible. The manager even found me some black tea when I mentioned how hard it was to find black tea in the area.

Like some others have said, it is quiet at the Bannister. That is the part that my husband and I loved. It is a beautiful hotel, with some things they should work on. However, I would return again...and give them a second chance to WOW me.

Room Tip: Get an Oceanview Room. The other ones will look over the parking lot (no matter what they call it...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatieinPA
JBretin, General Manager at The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear KatieinPA,

We acknowledge good receipt of your review and we thank you for sharing with everybody your Experience at The Bannister Hotel.

We are very happy to see that you liked your stay with us and that you decided you will come back!

In answer to the issues you mentioned, it is true that the alarm rang during this weekend because of guests smoking in their Suite. We apologize for the inconveniente this could cause to you.

On another hand, I confirm you that we were actually sold out the weekend you were here... You did not feel it and that is all the magic of The Bannister Hotel!!! Most of our guests enjoy going on excursions (whales watching, Los Haitises National Park, Cayo Levantado Island, El Limon Waterfall, Rincon or El Valle Beaches, Tainos Park, etc.) so Puerto Bahia is available and peaceful for those who prefer to rest and sunbath...

We definitely will be waiting for you to come back and let us WOW you...

Jessica Bretin
The Bannister Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This place borders on excellent but I marked it down one just because its close and not quite there on a few aspects, plus there is no beach to directly access.

That said, the pool is great and there are plenty of beaches within distance that are amazing, and the serenity of the hotel creates a great place to relax. It's not terribly crowded, and the staff are all very very nice.

In addition to Playa Rincon and Cayo Levantado beaches, you have natural parks (one you visit with a boat) you can go to, and visit the town of Samana, cigar factories, and the like nearby.

Our experience here was for our wedding, so naturally we loved the place, however for this review I'm trying to be open and honest about the place if a typical couple or group or family would visit.

Getting there isn't that easy, but it's worth it. Last but not least, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I had an absolute blast at the Bannister Hotel. We enjoyed the several bars and restaurants the hotel had to offer. We have stayed in other hotels near Samana, and this one is by far the best.

Service was top notch, the lobby and rooms were extremely nice. I think you are getting a luxury hotel for something less than luxury prices when you stay here.

You do have to hire a taxi to take you to a beach, but Playa Rincon is relatively close, and I might be one of the best beaches in the world. There is a company inside the hotel lobby does a great job helping set up any excursions, etc. Ask them to request Cecilio as a driver, he grew up close to Playa Rincon and seems to know everyone.

Room Tip: We had a beach view room, I'm sure just about any room in the hotel is great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We hadn't taken a vacation in a long time where we could unpack and relax for a solid week. The Bannister Hotel was exactly what we needed. The hotel was so quiet and serene, I felt like I was at a yoga retreat. The staff was so attentive and friendly, especially Anna and Thomas! Everyone was so accommodating where ever we went and that made our stay all the more enjoyable. If you are looking to sit in the sun and read books while enjoying some adult beverages and the most spectacular views, this is your place! We will definitely be back!

The only tip I would offer is that the excursions offered in the hotel lobby are a bit pricey. With a little Internet research, you can find local companies with the same excursions for half the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
JBretin, General Manager at The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear MKshiff12,

First of all I would like to thank you on behalf of the entire team of The Bannister Hotel for sharing with everybody such a good review. I do believe this is the reflection of your satisfaction and that The Bannister Hotel Experience reached and exceeded your expectatives.

I would like to make an observation about your comment as far as excursions are concerned. Indeed, "Escapade Samana", the Exclusive Tour Agency which is located in the lobby of The Bannister Hotel proposes rates that are a little bit more expensive than what guests can buy outside. Nevertheless, it can be justified by the quality of the excursions that are tested by the travel agents to be sure they offer you the best service possible. They contract the best providers of the area and try to propose a great variety of Tours, working on being sure you will enjoy every single minute. They make you live a Personalized and Unforgettable Experience.

I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back at The Bannister Hotel by Puerto Bahia Marina & Residences,

Jessica Bretin-Mariano

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel complex is absolutely gorgeous and looks just like the pictures! If you are smarter than we were when looking at the pictures, you would have noticed that it is a yacht club resort. This means that they excavated the sandy beach strip to have deep water for the yachts and boats to be docked right in front of the hotel. If your idea is to go to a beach resort, walk out the door, and lie down in the sand, this is Not the place for you.

There are some beaches in the area that you could go to but you would need to drive and it would take you > 30 min one way. Alternatively, there is a small island close to the resort that (we are told) has a beautiful beach but obviously you need a boat to get to it. The resort does provide a boat service to/from the island but they charge $150 per person which I think is unbelievably unreasonable considering there are no other convenient beach options!

Either way, the hotel itself is GORGEOUS! It looks like many millions of dollars were spent on it and it feels brand new. So if you are ok with the beach situation, I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RodiT
JBretin, General Manager at The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Mr. Rodi,

First of all and on behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for the great review your wrote. I do believe this is the reflection of your satisfaction and that your stay with us reached and exceeded your expectatives.

However, I have to correct one information which is the boat transfer to Bacardi Island (Cayo Levantado) you mentioned. I am afraid there was a misunderstanding as the boat transfer is US$180 + taxes round trip for the boat (up to 8 persons) and it is a private transportation.
We also provide it for people who are interested in a local way of life experience, with a yawl at the rate of US$50+taxes per person.

I apologize if you did not get the right information and maybe missed a great opportunity to discover Bacardi Island (Cayo Levantado) which is a really beautiful beach.

Jessica Bretin-Mariano