Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
Dayton, Ohio
“Fantastic Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our first trip to Cayo Leventado and we loved it. We have stayed at Bahia Principe Akumal five times and always thought it was the greatest place on earth. Last October, our son stayed at Bahia Cayo Levantado and decided he would give us a week long vacation there as a Christmas present... WOW!!

My son, wife and I really enjoyed everything. We stayed in Villa 3 and our rooms overlooked the beach. Our first day there we were lucky enough to view from our balcony, several humpback whales spraying and jumping off in the distance.

When we first arrived we're we given the traditional welcoming cocktail and taken to our villa. They had arranged dinners at Don Pablo's and Portafina's. We ate our first dinner Don Pablo's and it was wonderful, as always. We actually cancelled the Portafino's dinner reservation. We could have eaten at one of the restaurants ever night, but because the food at the main buffet was alway so good we choose to always eat at the buffets. For lunch we always at the snack bar... again the food was always very good. We ate breakfast twice at the main buffet and all the rest of the time had room service bring breakfast to our balcony so we could watch enjoy the wonderful view while having relaxing.

My wife had a wonderful hot bath drawn one night. It was very nice. They had approximately 8 candles and beautiful flowers all around the hot, foamy bath.

Service was alway quick and the staff was great. We did tip as we always have. The maid received $10 per day, mini bar $3, bar staff $1 per drink, cart drivers $3-$5 per trip. I even tipped the person cleaning the restroom at the snack bar a few dollars ever couple days.

We packed an extra suitcase full of nothing but coloring books, crayons, puzzles, etc. and gave it all to the maid to take to children near where she lived. It did not cost too much, but we are sure it brought some joy to the local children.

I would like to thank Alexis, Calix, Sonny, Joel, Angel, Janett, Martin, Danial and all the rest who worked had to make our stay so great.

Would we go back.... You can count on it.

Room Tip: villa 3 was great.
5 Thank Bill&Becky
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Bill&Becky:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel while choosing a place to enjoy your holidays.
It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about Alexis, Calix, Sonny, Joel, Angel, Janett, Martin, Danial and all the rest who worked had to make your stay so great ; we have shared your comments with them.
We are looking forward to welcome you next time, please contact us before your arrival.
Sincerely yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
SylvanLake,Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We came to the levantado on feb 25th and stayed there for six days after transferring from their sister hotel in samana. We had excellent service from the very beginning to the end. We had a very nice villa. The food was very good, I liked that the buffet had a different theme every night. We tried the gourmet restaurant which was very good, most of the alacarts were fully booked when we got there. There was two small beaches to choose from and 2 large pools and a smaller one which where located in different parts of the resort. there was also the public beach which was very nice but people kept trying to sell you things there. You could tell the people take great pride in their facility. There were plenty of beach chairs and sun spots to choose from, this was the first resort I have been to were you didn`t have to get up at 7am to get a good spot . We were there when they were celebrating thier independence day and they put on a very good show for that This place was far superior to the cayocoa (although you are paying more money) and it was a great place to finish our holiday.

4 Thank AlbertaSnowball
Dear AlbertaSnowball:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Management, I would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing a hotel for your holidays and for posting your experience.
In Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado we are committed to provide an excellent service through a high qualified team.
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
With best regards,
Avesta, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks in February. To be honest I dont know where to start because everything was amazing. We stayed in one of the villas, No.6 and the suite we had was huge. The bathroom had the same size as the room it self and was equipped with a large jacuzzi. There was also a balcony with a sofa and three chairs. If it was to warm on the balcony you could always turn on the sealing
The room was cleanned daily with a turndown service in the evening. We received fresh towels each day, so all in all, as good as it can be. There was also a minibar that was included in the A I consept.
Room service (used it once) was fast and nice.

The island it selves is actually bigger then we had anticipatet and there are 2 beaches to chose from that is for the hotel guests only.

To visist the public beach is a must because it is absolutely wonderful. Go there early in the morning, then you will be there alone.

Bars:

There is one bar by the beach, which have mostly domestic liquers.
Poolbar has a wider range to chose from.
The Lobby bar is by far the best one and has a lot of top shelves brands.

Restaurants:

Orquidea: Buffè for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Located at the main building.
Breakfast was very good, cant fault it.
We only ate here for lunch & dinner twice because we are no buffè lowers, but the
quality here is for sure above average, REALLY NICE.
As a Buffè I have to rate it 5 out of 5.

Snack Bar: Open from 12:00. We had lunch here 12 out of 14 days. Fresh and good food.
Superb service, all in all a very nice place.
Located by the beach.

Mediterraneo: À la carte restaurant. Food and service very good. Would rate it 4 out of 5.
Located by the beach.

Portifino: À la carte restaurant. Food and service very good. Would rate it 4 out of 5.
Located by the beach.

Don Pablo: À la carte restaurant. This is a special place. They even have a sampling menu,
which include 7 different small dishes. Meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, desserts, I would
say everything is 1:st class. The service is as good as the food.
This is really easy to rate, a HUGE 5.
Located close to the tennis court.

Some small things to consider:

The arrival day can be a bit of a challenge.
We had a 11,5 hours flight from Stockholm to Puerto Plata.
Then a 4 hour bus ride (incl 20 minutes break).
Transport to the island (15 minutes).
Try to sleep a lot before you leave because you`ll need all your strength.

Samana is a very green part of the island so there will be rain showers. All suites has one umbrella but there can be a good idea to bring one extra.

The check in is being done on the main land before you jump into the boat, who takes you to the resort. The bell boys met you on arrival and take you to your room.

We are frequent travellers and have stayed at really nice places, but the service these people give you, is the best we have experienced. Everything they do, despite there workload is done with a big smile and you always feel very welcome. The entire Hotel is spotless and beautiful.
The settings and views are wonderful, can really recommend this resort.

Thanks for two lovely weeks, we`ll be back.

Room Tip: Would recommend to stay in one of the villas.
8 Thank lundqvist68
Dear lundqvist:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you holidays.
We are very happy to read that you had a memorable stay thanks to the friendliness of our staff members, the beauty and the cleanness of our premises and facilities, and the good work of our staff. In Bahia Principe we are committed to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guest.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.
Fargo, North Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I read all the reviews on this property before we left and was so excited. What a disappointment. I believe that anyone who gives this place a 5 star rating has never stayed at a 5 star resort before. I stayed at another Gran Bahia last year and had a wonderful experience. I thought I would be a loyal Gran Bahia return customer until this trip. Upon being greeted, we were told we would be shown to our room and staff would explain things in our room - key for the electricity and air, safe, etc. Didn't happen. Staff dropped us off, gave us our luggage and gone. Our room was not good. I have stayed in 3 star hotels with nicer rooms. Bed posts broken; tiles chipped; ceiling cracked. We had a view on our terrace of the service entry of the staff, so were awaken early every morning by staff talking as they were arriving for the day. Also, got to watch staff weld, hammer, and do other fix it projects. We asked to be moved due to the noise. We were told by one staff person that this was not possible due to "availability". My husband called and talked to another person and was told we could if we paid another $300 for the week. This hotel was already almost $300 more per person than other places we have stayed for less value. I attempted to talk to the manager 4 times before I finally did after being told he was at meetings, left to get some rest, etc. When I did talk to him, he flat out lied to me and told me that my sister had a better room than I did because she paid for an upgrade. I know exactly what my sister paid for as I booked all of our rooms. We had four rooms in our party and only one paid for a higher room than ours. Food in the buffet was nice. Different theme each evening for the buffet. Lunch buffet either by the pool or in the main buffet had a good selection. It was very difficult to get into the al a carte restaurants. I tried to reserve prior to our trip (as you can do this at EVERY other Gran Bahia) but was told that I needed to do this upon arrival. Guest services opened at 9:00 and I was there at 9:10 to find out that I could not get reservations at all at the Italian restaurant and could not get into the other two restaurants until 8:00 and 9:00 pm. We did enjoy the food at Don Pablo the first time we went there and the service was great. We went there a second time the night before we left and they must have been short staffed as it took over an hour just to get our order taken. Most of the line staff (housekeepers, gardeners, waiters) were absolutely wonderful and kind. Despite the language barriers they tried hard to accomodate. We rented a catamaran one day to take our whole family out and this was the best part of the trip. Manuel from the scuba shop was our guide and was just great! Although the staff at the scuba shop was great, the accommodations were run down. We wanted to go on the banana boat which was advertised as included. Were told it was then $10/person which was fine, but also then told that it was broken and they hoped to have it back by Friday. Friday came, saw the banana boat which was deflated and were told that it was broken again. Had similar experiences with the catamaran. Met with our Soltour representative Valentin who added insult to injury, was belittling, and couldn't even answer simple questions, like how much the travel tax would be when leaving the country. He tried to sell us his excursions and gave me a lecture on the catamaran that we did rent and did on our own. Also scolded me and told me he had been waiting for me "all week" to tell him when our return flight was to get our shuttle back to the airport (We'd only been there a day and I had to find him, not the other way around). Overall, the line staff were wonderful, the food was good, but the accommodations were subpar. It appears that the management of this resort are collecting salaries and the owners are not putting money back into the property. This is not a 5-star resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to at least a superior suite deluxe and request a room on at least the second floor to get a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vanessa B
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Vanessa B:

In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Cayo Levantado Hotel..
we are very sorry to read that the service provided by our staff members did not meet your expectations during your stay. We apologize for the impression you might have gotten since this is not a true depiction of our standards of operation here at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. I would like to extend apologies for any and all inconveniences that you experienced during your vacation among us
However, we express that all comments have been considered and we assure you that were sent to the heads of the departments involved, and take the necessary action.
In case you decide to come back to our hotel please let us know in order to assure everything will be like you were expected.
With the best regards,
Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I travelled here on February 23- March 2.

This trip was something that we did a lot of research, and asked travel agents about. We decided to spend our honeymoon at the Cayo Lavantado. This is was a trip we were very excited and a special time to us.

I will start out by saying that we do have a lot of good things to say about this resort but also have a few things we were very un happy about.

We stayed in a beach villa, and could not have asked for any better of a room/view. They cleaned our room well, made sure our fridge was stocked, had the air conditioning on for when we got there and left a key in the "box" the entire time we were there.

The resort itself was very beautiful. It was well maintained, and seemed fairly clean for the most part.

Now for the not so impressed things:

-I had bought a dress specifically to go on our honeymoon so we could get pictures done on the beach. Every time we approached the photographer, he was highly intoxicated, to the point he could hardly walk or speak at times. We tried on a few occasions during the days and it continued to happen so we gave up on trying. This wasnt something we wanted to pay money for and it not be to standard. We also saw him around the resort and on the public beach at night time in the same state.

-My husband and I are both certified divers. We booked here as we were told there is beautiful diving. We got ready for our first dive while on shore. My husband was checking his equipment at the same time i was. He turned on hi tank to find that there was a pretty significant size cut in the regulator hose. This is something that should never have been given to us, as the equipment should be checked by the staff often. The staff made it out to be not a big deal and said they would give him a new one once we got on the boat. Once on the boat he hooked up his equipment and we were ready for our dive. Once we were down about 10 feet I noticed that my husbands regulator hose had 3 small leaks in it. I got the instructor to come over, and he made it out to be no big deal. He put a plastic piece over 2 of them and continued on. My husband also had no def gauge (it was missing), and mine was full of water and not working. On our last dive the instructor had advised us that was did not have to do a de-compression as we would not be down far enough. When the dive was finished he told us to go up. Only to find out once we were in the boat, there were 2 other men there with their own dive computers and informed us that we 100% should have done a de-compression stop, and thats why they had not come up till a few minutes after. Overall, this is something we, as most people would, take very serious. The equipment was in a very poor state, and the instructor did not follow procedure. I HIGHLY recommend unless you have your own equipment, NOT to go scuba diving at this resort.

-We found that the service was very poor. We found that unless you tipped the staff, we could be a long time waiting to get drinks. We don't mind tipping the staff for the work that they do, however we should not have to initiate it to receive service.

-the "butler" service is not at all what it is made out to be. We maybe saw him 2 times the entire time we were there. You have to call for a select few services you get, and it take a long time to come. We had room service one day, and my hot dog and fries were cold, along with the hamburger and fries my husband had. They made it out that we would be treated more like "vip" since it was our honeymoon and the package we paid for. I do not recommend paying extra for this service as it is not worth it

-We booked our trip through air Canada, and were less then satisfied with the rep. We tried to speak to him about late check out since our fights got changed a week before we left, leaving at 11 pm (we booked a year in advance) as air canada promotes it at complimentary, and he brushed us off. Told us this was something we would have to talk to air canada about when we got back. We then tried to as him about deep sea fishing, and he stated it was "out of season", and again brushed us off about it. He did not take the time to talk with us, or give us any helpful information. We usually go to the rep's to ask about excursion's to do, and what are the highlights to see of the resorts, however the way he spoke and treated us, we avoided him for the rest of our trip. He was no help at all, and we didnt even book our a la carte's.

Overall, we were very excited about our trip, and paid alot of money to go here. Although we had a very relaxing time, and enjoyed parts about our trip, we were upset about other aspects. We have been to many other Bahia Principe's, and for this to be a don pablo, I have to say this was the worst one for Service, and Diving.

Room Tip: beach villa 30101,30102, 30103
6 Thank 1Roxy2
Dear 1Roxy2:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Management, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon holidays.
It has been a shame to not reach your expectations with the service received. We note to refer to this in the future.
We have comunicate to our partner companies like Scuba and Arrecife Studio waht has been your experience with them to avoid this situation in the future.
In case you decide to come back, please contact us before your arrival, and you will see our capacity of becoming better.
With best regards,
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our expectations were high before we got there and were exceeded when we arrived. First of all we want to thank Ramon Santos, the Front Desk Manager, for his assistance in relocating us to a beautiful villa. Upon arrival we we're able to book our a la carte dining for the entire week in a matter of moments, in comparison to other hotels, where it can take forever to book dining or you can only book 1 or 2 days in advance. The a la carte restaurants are exceptional. The menu choices and quality of the food are wonderful. We want to thank all the restaurant staff for their excellent service and attention to detail at Don Pablo, Mediterraneo and Portofino ... BRAVO! The island itself has 2 beautiful beaches, 1 private and 1 public, which are excellent for swimming ... NO JELLYFISH! Be sure to check out the public beach where the water is exceptionally clear and there are plenty of chairs for sunbathing. The landscaping and vegetation on the hotel grounds are amazing throughout. What impressed us the most was the warm welcome and the friendly disposition of all the staff. Each and every one were eager to please with constant warm smiles. Bernardo and his team were particularly helpful regarding our luggage upon departure.
We have travelled extensively to many high end resorts in the Caribbean and Central America and can't stop talking about our magical week at Cayo Levantado. Make sure you visit the el Limon Waterfalls and Rincon beach and don't miss the whale watching ... Incredible. The island is a spectacular paradise. We highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We recommend the villas rather than the main hotel.
12 Thank Cecilia Y
Dear Cecilia Y:

It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about Bernardo and Ramos in reception; we have shared your comments with them.
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent a marvelous week at Cayo Levantado. This is an island resort off of Samana and offers everything one wants to relax and unwind.
The rooms are excellent, service prompt and attentive. We had a problem with a shower rod and it was fixed within a couple of hours.
The food was also great both at the buffets and at the a la carte restaurants. We were able to eat at Mediterraneo and Portofino and enjoyed both. We were not able to eat at the gourmet Don Pablo but from what we saw on the menu, we have no doubts it is excellent. For future visitors, make sure you get your reservations in early to get the times that suite you the most. They fill up quickly.
The beach is inviting, with plenty of chairs and towels. There is good snorkeling right off the beach.
The whale watching was a highlight. We strongly recommend going with Kim Beddall. Avoid the sales pitches of the travel agents for other organizations. Kim is cheaper, scientifically oriented and with a very safe boat that allows comfort and observation. All of the observations are in three languages, English, French and Spanish. Book directly with her.
Overall a great vacation, relaxing and worth repeating.
We had a chance to meet Alexsis, the Manager. He runs a tight ship with a very high level of courtesy and service. Smiles were the norm together with the desire to please.

Abbiamo passato una settimana piacevolissima. Le stanze sono spaziose e molto comode. Il servizio e' ottimo e attento ai dettagli. Abbiamo avuto un problema con la doccia e lo anno risolto nel giro di un paio di ore.
I ristoranti sono ottimi, sia i buffet che quelli a la carte. Abbiamo mangiato da Mediterraneo e Portofino ed erano ottimi, creativi e con ottima scelta. Non siamo andati da Don Pablo, considerato il ristorante gourmet ma avendo visto il menu, non abbiamo dubbio che sia ottimo. Un consiglio e' di prenotare presto sopratutto per avere i tempi preferiti. Si riempiono in fretta.
La spiaggia e' molto bella con abbondanti sedie a asciugamani. Anche lo snorkeling dalla spiaggia e' buono e facile.
Una delle bellezze del luogo sono le balene. Consigliamo fortemente di vederle con la
Kim Beddall. La sua organizzazione e' scientifica, ha i prezzi migliori e la barca sicura e comoda con ampio spazio a possibilità osservazioni e di fare foto.Tutte i commenti sono on tre lingue, Inglese, Francese a Spagnolo. Evitate i consigli degli agenti di viaggio che spingono altre organizzazioni con barche stracariche e scomode. Prenotate direttamente con la Kim.
Abbiamo avuto il piacere di conoscere Alexis, il manager. ha creato una organizzazione attenta al servizio, sempre con un sorriso e con la voglia di aiutare.
In somma, una splendida vacanza, da ripetersi presto.

Room Tip: I would recommend Villas 5, 6 or 7. Raccomanderei le Ville 5, 6 o 7
5 Thank VicSonnino
Víctor L, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear VicSonnino:

It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about Alexis; we have shared your comments with them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#3 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!