The island is absolutely gorgeous and now back in the UK I'm thoroughly sad that I'm not accidentally gulping sea water and watching little fish swim round my feet in the sea whilst awaiting a slush puppy pina colada. :'(
We had a room on the 5th floor of the main hotel which I suspect are the cheapest rooms and yet it was a lovely room with an enormous bed and walk in wardrobe which the girlfriend adored.
The staff were generally very friendly, lovely in fact, and any problems we had were efficently resolved. (the popular plumbing problem and locking ourselves out of our room).
There's plenty to do despite this mini island paradise. Whale watching and other excursions. Sure, you are free to do as you please. I found my self happy to hang about the island with its glorious beaches, nice pools, gym, booze and food. I wasn't worried about going elsewhere having been to see the whales and also los haiteses national park. I would have liked to see Santo Domingo but it was an undersubscribed trip from here, so think on of that's something you want to do,
As for the food. It was OK. There were elements of luxury such as Lobster, caviar, steaks and bloody mary's at breakfast should you want them, but there was also travesties of international cuisine (French & British I noticed in particular). I really enjoyed eating a whole bunch of seafood I've never even heard of before; Gilthead, Carite, Dolphin fish (not mammalian dolphin!), grouper, stone bass and I'd never even eaten Soul before despite being a food lover! Also certain fruit and veg such as Tayota and soursop. The variety was great and so even if I didn't fancy one thing or another there was always something there I wanted. I have gained about 8lbs in 2 weeks since I went so that speaks volumes for my enjoyment of the food. The restaurants serve, basically, the same stuff repackaged. I had a beef saltimbocca and instead of getting a beef, ham and sage affair (as advertised) I got a beef, gravy and rosemary affair. No big deal but I suppose what I'm saying is if you are a big food enthusiast you might find the feed here a little disappointing. There are anomalies and slight disappointments.
As for the booze. I see some people were unhappy with the lack of international brands at certain bars. My advice would be; if you are prepared to walk five minutes, you'll get youre international booze. The lobby bar has many international liquors. None of them particularly great, but all of them able to get you sufficiently drunk! So don't worry! For the record there is Finlandia Vodka, Drambuie, J&B, Tanqueray etc...Just ask and you will recieve.
My girlfriend said that the most disappointing thing of the holiday was having to listen to North American couples arguing and table slamming in restaurants. Spoilt fools but no responsibilty of the hotel and we both have sufficient humour to get over it. We also met some lovely people including a Brummy couple (Pat and Terry) and various North Americans and Europeans. A couples retreat at the end of the day.
All in all. I fell in love with this Hotel/Island/Country so would I recommend it? Hell yeah! I'm so gutted I' not there right now. If the hotel served nothing but beans on toast and cerveza every day, I'd still want to live there!
As for names of staff (as requested) I'm afraid I can only remember:
"Super nice pregnant" Maria (Thank you for your very friendly and excellent service, I felt a bit guilty being waited on by a pregnant woman, good luck with that and everything else)
"Cerveza" Salvador (Cheers mate!)
Victor "J-J-J-Juice" (gracias amigo)
and a whole bunch of other lovely people!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pools 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace and gardens with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 1 tennis court Motorised water sports (additional charge) Store Heliport WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) Main buffet-style restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Cocktail Lounge Snack-bar Wedding gazebo Rooms 268 rooms including 5 types Superior, Junior Suite, Superior Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite and Beach Villas. Superior Junior Suites, Deluxe Junior Suites and Beach Villas are larger than the Junior Suite and Superior. Room facilities: King size four poster bed Air conditioning Ceiling fan Sitting area with desk Balcony or terrace Fully-equipped marble bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, separate shower, bidet, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Telephone in bathroom Don Pablo Collection amenities Bathrobe and slippers Radio alarm clock with iPod docking station Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen satellite TV Safe Mini-bar with alcoholic drinks Wifi (free of charge) Coffee-making facilities Ironing set 24 hour room service Evening downturn service Outdoor Jacuzzi (Deluxe Junior Suites) Butler service Pillow menu Aroma menu Beach Villas: Seafront location with outdoor Jacuzzi, pillow menu available on request, baggage unpacking and ironing service, laundry service (optional) Other services Medical and pharmacy service (additional charge for both) Stores in the hotel Heliport and private boat (available on request for an additional charge) Mainland reception and transfer by boat (included in the booking fee) Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel
- Cayo Levantado Samana
- Cayo Levantado Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
- Cayo Levantado Hotel Samana