Myself, my wife and our two best friends were here from 14-28th October. Our trip was to celebrate my 50th Birthday.
I have hummed and hawed about whether to put a review on but have decided to do so. I believe that the purpose of tripadvisor is to get an unbias personal opinion so with that in mind please read on.
This was the first time we had visited a Gran Bahia hotel and thought that with this being their flagship property we had chosen wisely. We will probably not choose this chain again.
We had done a lot of research before deciding on Cayo Levantado. We thought that we would be delighted with our choice as we are seasoned travellers and have experienced some poor but also amazing holidays in our time.
I will not go into great detail as other reviewers have covered accomodation quality etc very well and I would agree with all the positive comments totally.
Please do not underestimate the effect that the transfer from Puerto Plata to the hotel will have. We travelled with Thomson Holidays from the UK. The Rep Jessica dies a great job here.
Our issues were on two fronts, the food quality in all restaurants except Don Pablo was very patchy at best, I must say that Jose Luis Rodriquez is amazing, he is so professional and I only hope that the company fully appreciates the calibre of employee that they have in him.The Mediterrean being the only passable alternative during our stay. The food quality in the buffet restaurant especially was extremely poor, we had read reviews of people getting unwell on holiday and can now understand why, we could have eaten uncooked pork and also cold and then reheated chicken amongst other dubious choices, food that was meant to be on offer would not be replenished, even when we asked and were told momento nothing appeared, I personally waited for 30 minutes before giving up on the hope that my " momento " was up! This really is a shame as this could be pretty easily rectified with a bit of quality control, all it would take is a dedicated staff member to oversee this while walking around checking on the restaurant as they do.
The other letdown was the drinks service at the beach and bottom pool area which was very hit and miss in service, we would get a drink given to us then a three hour gap before we would see the waiter again, there needs to be a decisiion made I think as to whether there is a service on offer or not, it was easier to go and get our own drinks rather than wait for another to be offered.
There seems to be a bit of mimicking by Gran Bahia paying homage to the Secrets chain in some areas but they cannot quite achieve the excellent standards that we have received with them.
Please do not allow this review to put you off from visiting this beautiful island but manage your expectations accordingly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pools 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace and gardens with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 1 tennis court Motorised water sports (additional charge) Store Heliport WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) Main buffet-style restaurant and 3 speciality restaurants 6 Bars Cocktail Lounge Snack-bar Wedding gazebo Rooms 209 rooms including 5 types Superior, Junior Suite, Superior Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite and Beach Villas. Superior Junior Suites, Deluxe Junior Suites and Beach Villas are larger than the Junior Suite and Superior. Room facilities: King size four poster bed Air conditioning Ceiling fan Sitting area with desk Balcony or terrace Fully-equipped marble bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, separate shower, bidet, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Telephone in bathroom Don Pablo Collection amenities Bathrobe and slippers Radio alarm clock with iPod docking station Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen satellite TV Safe Mini-bar with alcoholic drinks Wifi Coffee-making facilities Ironing set 24 hour room service Evening downturn service Outdoor Jacuzzi (Deluxe Junior Suites) Butler service Pillow menu Aroma menu Beach Villas: Seafront location with outdoor Jacuzzi, pillow menu available on request, baggage unpacking and ironing service, laundry service (optional) Other services Medical and pharmacy service (additional charge for both) Stores in the hotel Heliport and private boat (available on request for an additional charge) Mainland reception and transfer by boat (included in the booking fee) Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel
- Cayo Levantado Samana
- Cayo Levantado Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
- Cayo Levantado Hotel Samana