WINNER WONDERLAND

$175.00*
and up
Samaná Whale Watching Excursion and Cayo Levantado Adventure from Punta Cana
More attraction details
Owner description: This bay is best known for the frequency with which humpback whales and dolphins are seen here.
Chesterfield, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Love at first site...Samana DR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We went on a 9 day cruise with Norweigian Gem for spring break 2013 in March-April. We had 4 shore excursions, Puerto Rico first, St.Maarten, St.Thomas and best of all Samana. All the beaches were beautiful and clean, but when I first saw Samana, I was speechless, toatally taken away with the intimacy of the part of the island we occupied. I read somewhere that Samana is 80% privately resort owned and 20% for the public and cruise ship passengers . No matter, it is a heaven right here on earth. I felt like it was our own private beach, even with the other guest there. The people that work there were nice and not over powering like the people on St.Maartens, always pushing clothes and hats and jewelry on you. We relaxed and the children had a ball on the beach building sand castles with their new friends they met on the beach. I am making plans to go back next year with my husband, but instead of a crruise taking me everywhere I already been a hundred times, we will take a flight and go straight to a resort on Samana and revisit Our little piece of heaven on Samana.

Visited April 2013
6 Thank queencrab3

• Polish first
nova scotia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is the most scenic beautiful place. A must see!! We had this view all week from our room. Go to Bahia Principe Cayacoa where there isn't a bad view

Visited April 2013
5 Thank sandramacNovaScotia
NJ
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Cruise stop in Samana”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We took the 9-day Carribean cruise with NCL overt the Spring break. I will review the cruise separately but wanted to write a couple of words about our last stop – Samana, DR. Honestly, it is beyond me why such cruise company as NCL would every pick that place as a stop. Yes, there’s a beach you can tender to which we did not even attempt to go to due to bad weather, but the tender is not free (as it would be to a private NCL island) and the people that did go there were underwhelmed. We opted to tender to the village. What can I say… the “port” was dirty, water was full of garbage floating by, poverty – worse than some 3rd world countries I traveled to. We found a nice guy and his “auto rickshaw” to take us around. We saw a waterfall that was pretty decent but that was IT. He attempted to take us to another beach but it was just simply terrible: I was amazed there were tourists staying in the nearby hotel.
My advice, if you do take this cruise (other stops were Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and St. Thomas) stay on the ship when docked in Samana or pay the money to tender to the Cayo Levantade if it’s a beautiful day.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank OlgaKNj
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Heaven on Earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great little town to visit for anyone that is planning a trip to the Dominican Repbublic. It's an up and coming destination for cruise ships and is rapidly becoming the next tourist haven in the Caribbean. The most beautiful beaches in the world are found here along with very affordale hotels and dining. I would recommend spending at least 2 days there. Be sure to visit Cayo Levantado, Playa Bonita, Playa Rincon and the city Santa Bárbara de Samaná.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Sean M
Grand Junction, Colorado
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Easy walk for local color”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Samana is a newer stop for cruises and touted to be their eco tourism port. While we did not partake of any of the offered shore excursions, we did walk around town and enjoy the vibrant colors of the buildings, the open air market, and the nearby jungle.

This is not a beach friendly port unless you walk over the bridge to the hotel beach. The main bay has no nice beach and was strew with litter when we were there. The market and town were fun though. Lots of paintings by local artists for sale and typical island style clothing. In the nearby hills are lovely churches and there are maps of town posted in multiple places pointing out sites of interest for more extended walking tours. There is also a Casino of sorts, if you are looking for that sort of entertainment - but there hours seemed kinda wacky. I recommend walking around the port and town a bit to experience the local culture - as best you can during a short stop on a cruise. If you have the time and inclination explore across the bridge too (see review by NahanniRafter). It was a nice relaxing change of pace from the "glitz" of some ports - although that clearly scared some of our fellow cruisers away.

Visited December 2012