“Overall great-kids club poor”

Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Ranked #62 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We spent 10 nights at the resort. The resort is beautiful but enormous. The size is a bit overwhelming at first but after a day or two it is easy to figure out. The food overall was good, not great. The place was spotless and the staff was great. The only true disappointment is the kids club. My five year old was very excited as he had been to another kids club last year. We picked him up 3 hours later and he was very upset. The 2 women running the kids club spoke no English and made no effort to try. They changed the scheduled activities to ones easier for them and my son was disappointed that they had not done what was scheduled. We never went back which was no big deal as there was so much for the kids to do with the pools and beaches.

Overall the resort is very nice and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa

Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Premier with 10 couples of family and friends from March 28- April 4. Check in was quick and bellboys took us to our rooms guickly as we arrived around 10:00pm and there was not much traffic at the front desk. Well let me start by saying as we got going in our first morning and walked around, we knew this place was big going in but it is HUGE. A good 15 minute walk from our room to the beach as we were located at the front of the resort. They have carts going around all the time and we did take them but the exhaust fumes and the speed bumps can make you sick. Beach beautiful as always, food was excellent in the buffets and the Japanese, BBQ on the beach and the French were amazing. The rooms were big and clean but had a problem as someone went thru our luggage on our fourth day. I always set my zipper on my luggages a certain way before I leave the room and when we came back to our room I noticed 1 of my luggage zipper moved and niether my wife or myself were in the room all day. I did complain to the Manager and he, security and the head maid came to the room and asked us what if anything was stolen. We had no valuables in the suitcases just your everyday stuff and could not tell if anything was stolen. I really don't care if they stole a pair of underwear or socks my point to the Manager was I just wanted to let them know that someone was in my suitcase and they shouldn't be. The last day we were there I was at the front desk and there was a gentleman complaing about the same thing and it just happen to be the same gentleman who had heard my conversation with the Manager and I asked him how he knew someone was in his suitcase and he said he heard what I do with my suitcase with the zipper and he had done the same and his zipper was also moved. I had read in previous reviews about this problem and I guess it is true so I think the best thing is to lock your suicase everyday. This was our fourth visit to Punta Cana and we found the workers not as friendly but I think it has to do with the size of this place as there was over 6000 people at this resort at one point in our week there and I guess they must get a little tired of rude ignorant people. Although the place was packed the line ups at the buffets and bars were not long as they have buffets and bars all over the place. Our flight back was delayed four and a half hours which was fine as we got to spend more time in the beautiful weather. Overall this place is great but I would not return because of the size. Been to Ocean Sands twice and Majestic Colonial once and would return to either one of those again in a hear beat as our vaction seemed to be more personable at these places. I would recommend Bahia beacuse it is well taken care of, clean, food and drinks fantastic and if you can handle the size you will have a great vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MATTYGAZOO
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We stayed at the Gran Bahia December 24th to the 31st 2008. Three of us went myself, my 14 year old daughter and my 27 year old son. Before we went we had googled a map of the resort and knew what area in the resort we DIDN'T want to stay, which was the Premier which was as far away as one could possibly get from the Beach and main pool. When we arrived that's exactly where we were put, and they told us we had paid more to be there! Good Grief. At first it was disappointing but after a few days of getting used to waiting to take the trolley down to the beach and not being in a big hurry we realized there were some positives to the area we were in. First off it was a brand new building (our room was 49203 had to write it on my wristband so I wouldn't forget) and wasn't even on the map yet. We had a jaccuzi tub in our bathroom and the room was immaculate. Although the beds at first felt hard as rocks we quickly got used to them. One problem I encountered was I use a sleep apnea machine to breathe at night and we tried to find an extension cord but even after going to Guest Services and explaining the problem ( they seemed very concerned) they were unable to come up with one. There were no electrical outlets close to the beds so I ended up pushing the little couch/day bed over to the other side of the room where the floor lamp would normally be plugged in and sleeping there. I was quite happy. We had to explain to the cleaning lady to leave it there because she kept moving it back. But she got the idea. She was awesome by the way. We had a plugged toilet one evening and a few minutes after calling down to the front desk she came to help. I explained to her what was happening and then we headed out for supper she got the handman to come and it was fixed by the time we got back. I have noticed from going to several hotels now in the caribbean they all seem to have problems supplying cloths and this was the same. We never did see one. Our area had its own pool and buffet (So did all the other areas!) And it was impossible to get a lawn chair either at the pool OR down on the beach. One big plus of being in that area was our building was right across from the Principe village which was where the young adults would congregate after 11:00 and go to the Disco and Karioke. There was a casino there and several stores around the outside of a little square with tables and chairs . The Trolleys would shut down at 3:00 AM so if you were partying there you now had to walk and find your way back to your room. This could be difficult, I actually got lost (completely sober) a couple of times. Anyway he didn't have far to trek which made me feel better. The food selection was outstanding in all the buffets. But the food AND service was out of this world at the A la Cartes. We enjoyed the Spanish, French and Japanese. The buffets are only open at certain times and the snack bar at the beach only had ham buns out until noon. Then they would put out a buffet. There was EXTREMELY limited food selection until regular eating times like noon, and 6ish. You couldn't even get a potato chip or fries. Nothing! People were a little miffed about this. I was shocked really. This really sucked when we arrived at the resort at 4:30 5ish and hadn't eaten since early morning on the plane when we had some shriveled resemblance of an egg mcmuffin and couldn't get into the buffet until 6:30pm. Someone in my family had a minor meltdown, I'm not saying any names! But you know who you are. We never saw the entertainment staff at all at this resort except during the evening Show. This was kind of disappointing, again I think it was just the size of the resort which made it seem very impersonal. Now alot of people like this, we spoke to many who wanted the anonymity. We prefer a more homey atmosphere and would not go to another big resort like this. We enjoyed the Viva Windham Tangerine in Puera Plata in January of 2008 more because they were a smaller more intimate resort. The pool and ocean were mere steps away and you didn't need to take a trolley ride for 8 minutes to get there. Don't believe it? Well try looking this resort or any other up on Google Earth before going. That gives you a really good idea of what size and layout your resort is before you go, and I will use this little tool before taking another vacation. We didn't do alot of side trips this time exept Swimming with the sharks and stingrays which was kind of interesting but more sad than anything. ($90.00 American each) They are kept in a little fenced off area in the ocean, didn't seem very humane. My son did the Parasailing ($90.00 american for two people) which was very exciting. We took a taxi to a shopping area to try and get a better price on some of our souvenirs but it was a total waste of time. Although we got our rum ($12.00 american for a large 1000cc) for a much better price than what they had on the resort. The little Principe village had vendors with carts in the middle and you could really dicker them down by just walking away so we ended up getting the same stuff for the same price. There really is no "town" to go to in Punta Cana not like at the Viva Tangerine in Cabarete where you can walk down the beach into Cabarete and mingle a little more with the locals. Of course one of the best things about travelling is meeting new people and we were once again able to meet some really wonderful people from all over the world. We were invited to a lovely wedding on the beach and got to know the maid of honor Crystal quite well. She was a peach as was the entire family! Hi everyone! One last little negative was the signature reps, they sucked! Had the little meeting where they try and sell you the side trips the day after you arrive and then never saw them again. They were totally useless. There side kick Henry was there but he was not a signature rep. Anyway we really enjoyed our vacation once we got the hang of the trolley cars, and figured out when the buffet was serving and when the snack bar was open ( and this is NOT 24/7 people!) but we would not go back because it was waayy too BIG! Email me if you have any questions. I wished I had before I went.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank SaskSandy
Reviewed February 26, 2009

The Premier was amazing! i would say the only downfall was that it's far from the beach. But the resort is so huge that there's always a litlle train passing to bring you to the beach. It was very clean, the service was amazing and the food was good!

Great, great, great!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We have just returned back from our holidays in Punta Cana, and wanted to write a review to recommend this place to other people. We had a wonderful time in almost every aspect of our trip.
First, let me tell you about the place. The Gran Bahia Principe resort is composed by 4 hotels called: Punta Cana, Bavaro, Ambar and Premier (where we stayed), on top of that, there is a small "town" inside the hotel, where there is a theater, a casino, an Internet store, and other clothing and artcraft stores. Phyisically, each hotel one has its own front desk and services, but there are no restrictions in terms of where you can go. There are no major differences, as far as I understand, except that the Ambar is for Adults only. Therefore, the whole place is huge. To get to the beach or to different places (depending on where your room is) you have to take a schuttle.
Restaurants, Snacks and Bars are distributed all over the place in all hotels, and you can pìck anyone. Food and drinks are very good in all of them, but especially in the a-la-carte ones. For these restaurants, book a table in advance, at the beginning of your stay. We did that and had no problems, but we had to pick the 9:30PM-shift to get room. For us, that is just fine because in Argentina we are used to dine late, but for other people that could be a problem.
There are 5 pools, one for each hotel (if you dont want to move far from your room), and one more at the beach, that is bigger. All of them with their own pool bar, which is busy all day long. At the beach, there is also another bar that serves drinks and where are juices and pop sodas dispensers for self-service.
The rooms are quite big, when compared to other places we've been, and the bathroom had tub with hydro. Everything was clean and tidy. The AC worked perfectly and there is a roof fan too. At the beginning of our stay we had to ask the front-desk to get the remote control, to change the wake-up clock that was broken, and for extra-towels for our baby. Maybe the front desk people is a bit "slow-paced" so to speak, and maybe you have to ask for things more than once, but none of that was a big issue.
People from the hotel is very nice and gentle, and visitors/tourists are usually in a good mood to get around. One thing that was very noticeable was that there were visitors from all over the world, not only people from US, as we were expecting. There were a lot of Russians, Italians, French, Spaniards and Canadians too.
Needless to say that the white-sand beach and the blue/green-sea are incredible, right?. Thats the whole point of going to the caribbean. The weather in this time of the year was perfect. Around 28C during the day, and 20 at night.
The only small inconvinience we had was to get in touch with our family. There is no free internet conection at all, and even to get wi-fi you have to plug a device to your PC. On top of that the international calls are quite expensive, and you cannot even call a toll-free number in Dominicana without charge.
Overall, a very nice spot in the caribbean, in a great place for your holidays, at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank gatogatuno
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Unfortunately we had no choice in this stay...we were supposed to go to the new Majestic Elegance, but since it had not open, our reservation was moved to the Majestic Colonial, only to find out when we get there our reservation was moved to the GB Premier.

The grounds are beautiful as well as the pool. Everything on the outside was extremely clean, but once you step inside your room this is where it ends. Our room was dirty, dingy, the furniture was old, and beat up looking. The bathroom was disgusting looking, the tub was all chipped up, Under the bathroom counter was not clean, the bathroom mirror was scratched and dirty. Went to change rooms, but hearing from other guests that were also displaced, they were complaining about there rooms as well.

Almost sounded like we got the best room out of all, so we stayed. The next day, the bathroom above us was leaking into our bathroom right over the toliet. We complained to Jerry the front desk clerk, he called for someone to fix it. The next day it leaking again. We complained again, when we came back to our room, there was grease all over the toliet, and bathroom floor. Called for housekeeping....no one ever came. We ended up cleaning the mess up. We also called for extra towels, that too never came, so I went to the pool to get the pool towels for us to use. As far as the maid service goes, I am not even sure there was any, because our glasses that were half filled of water, was never replaced. The bed was made, I think that was the extent of the service.

The buffet food is nothing to write home about. The ala carte restaurants were quite good. We ate one night at the Italian, and the next night at the Gourmet restaurant.

We met a young couple that came on their honeymoon, they were supposed to be also at the Elegance. They were so disappointed that they left the following morning. They did not even want to sleep in their room that one night. We ended up hanging out with them for a few hours to help pass there night away.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank HMK62
Reviewed November 14, 2008

First off, if you make people book a room with double occupancy, then you should put 2 towels in the bathroom. We had to call and ask for towels. Also, I read the some other reviews about the cleanliness and I don't know where the other people stayed that had their rooms cleaned twice a day because the first day I arrived there was someone's blonde hair on the wall and the tub was full of foot prints from the previous guest. I had to ask them to sweep floor and clean the tub.

Roach motel: The first night we saw several roacheds and called the front desk and no one came. Another couple in building 12 had them all over the bed and night stand. They spoke to a manager who said he would have someone come the next morning. I don't know where he is from but where I am from we don't live and especially don't sleep with roaches. We complained for several days and nothing happened. Fortunately, ours was only on the floor and we got use to killing a couple in the morning and a couple at night. I spoke to others and it seem they too had a problem and spoke to management about it. Once couple finally couldn't take it because they also had them in their bed and they asked to be moved. Crazy thing is...they have an actual waiver for the roaches that people sign before they offer them any compensation.

Also, we had to eat at the buffet because the restaurants were reservations only and trying to make a reservation is a joke. I was there from November 4-12 and everything was booked every night. However, when passing the restaurant there were quite a few empty seats. I was told that some people cancel their reservations at the last minute but they will not allow walk ins to fill the seat. Needless to say, I didn't get the full experience of the restaurant.

Will not go back.

Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa? Share your experiences!