“Great trip!”

Ranked #63 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal
“Great trip!”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

To start off, I looked at many reviews for this hotel and a I was expecting it to be bad.
When we arrived we had a little bit of trouble with the room key. We had to wait about 30 min before we could get in. From here everything was GREAT! Room service was great. Our maid was amazing and kind. The beach was clean. People were friendly. Food was decent, the buffet was better than the restaurants. We wanted to try the Japanese restaurant but didn't get a chance. We went to the French, Italian, Grill and Fish restaurants.......not that great. You won't starve though. There are three pools, all very clean. My only complaint is that they only clean the pool once a week (on Fridays). By the end of the week the pool was a little hazy, full of sand. Other than that..... AMAZING!!! The grounds were immaculate, clean and gorgeous.
All was great!
I will let you decide, look at the pics!
Like I said above, I read so many reviews. I am also very picky. This place was great........all places have their pros and cons, I feel that this place has more pros than cons.
Have a great time here!!!!

• Liked — The people, very friendly
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Cleri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
chicago
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Punta Cana should really be renamed to PUNTA KAKA!! I was extremely dissapointed with my stay there and will never ever return to this country again. My husband and I took our daughter there july 20th thru the 30th, and needless to say we felt very unwelcomed. There were so many RUDE people that work there I really dont see how this hotel gets a 5 star rating. Let see where I could begin. .....We arrived at the airoport and were treated like we just invaded the dominicans. They make you form a line and snap their fingers for you to approach and take a picture with 2 girls. Next you pay $10 tourist card fee ( never heard of that before) and 3 sec later anther guy at a booth takes that card, scans it, and says NEXT....so in our case $30 are gone. I still dont know why. When we got to the hotel check in was pretty quick and easy and by the way if you need a safe( which most of us do) you pay abt $45 for the week. The rooms were pretty ok the beds were bad but we didnt excpect serta mattresses either. That night we ate a the buffet , which was ok, but the service sucked. We were left sitting at our table for abt 10min before a waiter came to greet us and offer us water. It usually took abt 3 requests to 3 different people for you to get a cup of water, and we didnt speak spanish either so that was a strike against us. I have never seen so many spanish tourist from Spain, so many French tourists in my entire life. THIS COUNTRY CATERS TO EUROPEANS...if you are looking for a nice time and to be treated how you should.THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. We have been to Mex. 3 times and LOVE IT....I will never go back to Punta Kaka!.....There were a few supervisers that were awsome...Juan Carlos at the buffet always was there to help us, Ilma Nunez was a lobby bar superviser, Maribel also a superviser...AWSOME...the bartenders Rafael , Rudy , German and Agustin AWSOME...Milquea excellent waitress...all the pool bartenders were great also. The grounds are beautiful ....BUT too big of a hotel...we never saw the entertainment team....there were a few managers that would walk by you and didnt even acknowledge you , not even a HI....Chino and Tony were lobby mangers I believe and I would never give them that position..there were others that deserved to be a manager. Oh and also when we went to book our a la carte dinners ( we got 5 since we were staying 10days) it was a nightmare. We were in line for an hour. People were just scattered around the room there not waiting their turns as soon as one couple would be finished with their reservations, others would jump up in front of people that actually were in line. We told the girl there they should ask that people to form a line and not just scatter around, and she just kind of shrugged her shoulders and dissmissed it. The a la carte dinners were good, buffet had different stuff everyday. We came to the conclusion that this wasnt a place for americans. Europeans did not understand the concept of sanding in line for anything!!!!! They would cut in front of you, didnt say excuse me or sorry if they bumped into you or anything at all. There are soooooooooooo many things I can go on and on and on, and I know it's already a long review, but I cant believe we spend so much money and we didnt have an excellent time. It's a shame such a beautiful hotel to have such poor service. This is the last incident I want to share....On our 6th night our usual waitress came to us almost in tears and said she couldnt serve my husband his drink any more. All he drinks is beer with a bit of lime juice and salt. THAT"S IT! It wasnt a mixture of different alcohols. She told us manger yelled and screamed at her for bringing him a drink that wasnt on the menu. Mexico had no problem offering this drink!!!! then my husband was told if he wanted that drink , he had to go to the bar and get it himself. So he did. Well after 2-3 times the bar all of a sudden couldn't serve him the drink. They filled up a glass of beer cut up some limes and gave my husband a salt shaker. Basically they told him he had the ingridients so he can make his own drink. We were furious!!! This drink has been served for 6 days and all of a sudden it became a problem? WHY? we asked to speak to the person who put a stop to the drink and of course they sent some other manager who tried to explain that the drink is not on the menu therefore it was a big problem to serve it......After about an hour of back and fourth arguing he said let me talk to my team and see what I can do. UNBELIVABLE !!! The next morning he shook my husbands hand and said he can have his drink until we check out and also they moved our waitress from the lobby to the swim bar because he said they have to punish her somehow for serving us that drink. HMMMMMM I thought customer service and satisfaction is # 1 priority ....but I guess not in punta cana!!! You probably think we are exagerating....but I promise you all....we were not the only people that felt this way....We couldnt wait to get home!! A lot of people we met felt the same...so if you want to take a chance and waste about $4000 .....good luck!!!! We definitly won't go back there, MEXICO caters to america and we will stick to Mexico... Never had any problems there WHATSOEVER....And what pisses us off more, we tipped everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think twice about visiting this resort ...It was our first and last time there...

• Liked — nice room, lovely beach.=
  • Disliked — pools were hot, service was terrible!!!!
6 Thank iliriana9
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We had a wonderful vacation. We had some glitches (travel agency related, not resort related), but the front desk staff was great at helping us work through them.

The grounds were beautiful. Check in was painless. We booked two rooms for our family, but soon discovered that although they were technically on the same floor ( rooms 11106 and 11108), they were not connected by a hallway. You had to walk around the entire building to get to the other room. This was not an ideal situation for a family. We requested a room change, and it was granted the next morning. We had hoped for side by side, but at least we did end up on the same floor.

Rooms were large and well kept. We had king beds in each. Be careful when taking a shower. It was very easy to flood the floor In fact, the hotel was so low on towels on Monday (due to people using them to mop up the flooded floor) that we were only given one towel for four people.

Food was very good, but I would suggest bringing some Tums for stomach upset. They have to plan menus for international vacationers, and I think that they did this quite admirably. Gourmet restaurants we patronized were: Japanese (least favorite for taste, and felt rushed to get out); bar-b-que buffett (very good and large variety) and Garden Grille (our family's favorite). Book your restaurants as soon as you check in. The latest we had for seating was 7:45. .We really didn't have problems as others have reported.

Pools were large and did not feel crowded. We never had difficulty getting a chair. The main pool was very hot (over 100 degrees). Not the best swimming environment. The smaller pools were better The aerobic instructor was a lot of fun.

Beaches were clean. Again, no problem getting chairs. The boats were noisy, and often the gas smell was a bit overwhelming. I would suggest moving farther down the beach towards the Bavaro side to escape fumes.

There weren't too many American's the week we went down, but we didn't mind. It was a a great experience to be surrounded by so many nationalities. It was a wonderful cultural trip for out entire family. Any language barriers were easily overcome.

We did an off site excursion with Bavarro Runner tours. I would highly recommend this. They really packed the day with exciting and educational activities. The guide was highly informative and very entertaining. They negotiated a better price than any of their competitors.

This by far was our best family vacation. There were some things that weren't 100%, but I believe that you would be hard pressed to go on any vacation where everything was perfect.

Would consider going again in a hearbeat.

• Liked — Beautiful Grounds
  • Disliked — Not having adjacent rooms for our family
4 Thank scorpian31
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
#60 of 112 in Punta Cana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa? Share your experiences!