“A must have experience”

and up
Adventure Day Trip to Fun Fun Cave
Ranked #72 of 230 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Owner description: This adventure goes beyond the limits of what we know, taking us back to the Stone Age. There, your dreams and reality will be combined to lead you down to Fun-Fun Cave. Climb down, fully equipped, to one of the largest Caves in the world and discover the beauty of darkness, the cave's colored tunnels, its gigantic corridors, its cave painting art and the enchanted trickling sounds produced by its underground rivers.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must have experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Even though my pre-teen daughter and myself went several years ago, we still talk about this amazing day. We drove to the ranch from La Romana, which was at least a two-plus hour drive, worth every minute. Between the scenery and getting to see the locals, it was an adventure in itself. When we arrived at the ranch, we were given a homemade breakfast, cooked by the women, and the men took us to get into our gear and give us our horses. The staff could not have been nicer in helping us get ready, I even learned some Bachata moves from one of the guides. They took great care in making sure my daughter was safe and having a good time the entire times we were on horseback, about 30 minutes or so. After we got off the horses, the long hike began. The only complaint from us was the heat, but hey, we were the ones who decided to do this in August. Arriving at the cave, they had my daughter repel first, making sure she was in the best hands possible. They were so fantastic. The cave itself was cool, beautiful and magnificient. We saw bats, which I love, and shrimp, as there is a river in the cave. After a great swim in the cave, a cool beer after exiting and a ride back to the ranch on horseback, we had the most delicious home cooked meal. This was one Of the best experiences I have ever encountered and would do it again in a heartbeat. We have watched the DVD that they staff shot over and over. Well worth it.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Lilslimshady
margabarcelob, Gerente at Rancho Capote - Cueva Fun Fun Tours, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Hi! Fun Fun Cave staff wants to thank you for your comments. We are so happy to see that after a year, you are commenting our tour and in so excited manner. We are so proud to read all of your comments and we hope you can visit us again soon. Best regards for both of you from Fun Fun Cave' Staff!!

• Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Crazy exciting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I went on this tour November 2013, and it is the coolest adventure we have ever had. It was a long drive from where we were staying in Punta Cana, but so worth it, and we got to see a bit of the country along the way. The guides are wonderful and funny and reassuring. We rode horses to a trail in the jungle and hiked for a while to the cave entrance. The trip through the cave was amazing. I have been on cave tours before, but this was a REAL cave tour. No lights but our helmets, no pathways, scrambling over wet rocks and through the river. We kept looking at each other, grinning - "This is crazy!". The exit of the cave was so beautiful it felt like CGI. After a short horse ride back to the main ranch, they served us the best meal I had in the Dominican Republic. If you go, wear a bathing suit and socks under your clothes and bring fresh underthings and socks to change into. They will give you a locker to store stuff and have you change into a jumpsuit and rubber boots. You'll want clean dry things to change back into when you return. Also, bring cash. You'll want to buy the video for $40,(no credit cards accepted) and of course tip the guides. Have fun!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Laura F
Hi! Fun Fun Cave staff wants to thank you for your comments. We are so proud to read that you have been on cave tours before and you call our tour a REAL cave tour. It is exactly what we want, to bring a natural experience to our visitors without altering anything, all have to be wild, like it is. We are happy to read that you enjoyed it and we hope you come back soon to DR and visit us again. Regards!
Harvey Cedars, NJ
“Beyond exceptional experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We took the fun fun cave tour on Friday, 11-8-13. The initial explanations do not do the tour justice. It was so much more than expected! The ride there from Punta Cana was a long one but well worth the trip. The guides were friendly, upbeat, happy and assisted those that needed it without a flaw! They seemed to know where to be at the right time and kept their eyes open! The photographer was phenomenal and the video is worth every penny! Saying it is a quality product does not do it justice! This tour alone will being me back to the Dominican Republic to share with others. I would highly recommend this tour! I won't give away the fun details though. Bring two pairs of socks and a bathing suit with a dry change of clothes. And bring tip money! You will want to tip these awesome guides. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank sjchenworth
Hi! Fun Fun Cave staff wants to thank you for your comments. It's great to read that just for our tour you want to come back to DR and share with others your experiences. We take care about all of your comments and we are so happy receiving comments like yours. We are always trying to do our best to bring you an unforgettable tour. Regards,
new jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“No fun fun cave”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I saw something on the web about Fun Fun cave in Hato Mayor Dominican Republic and decided that it might be a cool place to see. According to their website they had a restaurant, rooms (hotel) and a great cave tour. My wife and I went to Hato Mayor on our way from Punta Cana in July and had an extremely difficult time finding the place. We even had help from the Policia National. It is not in Hato Mayor at all but is a 2 hour drive up and down a very bad road in the middle of nowhere. There were no signs pointing us in the right direction or anything. We asked several locals who had heard of "Cueva Capote" which was the old name of the cave. We had to cross through several gates ford a small stream and finally found it.
Well the rooms they advertised were no more than crappy wooden shacks with tin roofs, the restaurant had no food and we were told we could take the tour but it would cost us $85.00 US each and that it was a 45 minute walk through a hot and humid rain forest. I let them know how I felt and left. The people there just didn't seem to care. The cave is located in the Los Haitises National Park. I believe that the person running the tours doesn't have the proper ownership or rights to run tours in the national park.
Aviod this "attraction" at all costs. They should be taught a lesson about what I feel was a scam. Beware!!!!

Visited July 2013
4 Thank g. O'Heap
margabarcelob, Gerente at Rancho Capote - Cueva Fun Fun Tours, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear friend, first of all we want to thank you for your comments because we take care about all comments that we receive from our customers. We are very sorry to see that you didn’t make the tour and there were a lot of confusions on your trip. We want to know, please, where you read about a restaurant and rooms at Fun Fun Cave because we don’t have rooms at all. What you see is a house where the family who takes care about the farm lives, another one where you have all the equipment you need to do the tour and another one where we have the gift shop, then you have the kitchen, bathrooms and tables and chairs to take the breakfast and lunch.

This is a tour that you have to buy before you go or pay it directly at the Ranch. You can buy it by Internet or at the hotels with the tour operators. When you buy the tour, you can come with our transport (a bus) or you can come with your own car but we wait for you at Hato Mayor to take you directly to Fun Fun Cave.

It’s a very safety tour and we are operating since 1996. It’s an all day tour. Here you have the details:

• Adventurers are picked up from their hotels at the pre-arranged times by our qualified staff.
• Later, fully equipped buses will drive the adventurers to Capote Ranch (approximate journey time is 2 hours 30 minutes).
• 10-minute stop to a tourist stop on the road to Rancho Capote.
• Arrival at Capote Ranch, where the adventurers have an afternoon snack of ham and cheese sandwiches, fruit juices, fresh fruits, coffee and milk.
• Equipment with appropriate clothes for the excursion: special clothing, Wellington boots, a harness and a crash helmet with a miner´s lamp.
• Horse riding transportation for about 30 minutes, always overlooked and helped by expert professional guides.
• A long walk through the natural forest (Haitises National Park) for aprox. 40 minutes to the Cave’s mouth.
• The adventurers will then come down the cave by Rappelling (abseiling). They will be helped, at all times, by expert professional guides who constantly keep “Safety measures” for the adventurer to feel secure and comfortable. The height from the Cave’s mouth to the bottom is approximately 18 meters.
• A walk inside the Cave lasting approximately 1.4 km out of a total of 8km that has yet to be explored. During this walk an expert guide will give detailed information about all the wonders to be found in the Cave.
• The Cave has a subterranean river which the adventurer will go through a few times during the trip, but once we arrive at the canyon we can swim to reach the other bank of the river. However, the adventurers will decide if they want to swim or take an alternative route.
• Arriving on foot, at the Cave’s mouth, where the adventurer will enjoy a typical National drink. Afterwards the adventurers will ride a horse back to the Ranch. The approximate time of this journey is 15 minutes.
• On arrival at the Ranch, the Adventurer has the option to have a shower or bathe in the nearby river. After that, the adventurer will enjoy a Dominican succulent lunch that includes rice, kidney beans, chicken stew and/or young goat (kid) stew, steak “al carbon” (charcoal grilled steak), salad, fried bananas, fresh fruit, coffee and milk. All of it accompanied by a typical national drink. If you take more than one drink, you have to pay for it, except water.
• Time to digest the food and for the adventurers to go back to their hotels.

As you can see, it is a completely tour made with 3 specialized trained guides for groups and they speak Spanish, English, French, German and Russian too.

We hope you are still in Dominican Republic and we invite you to come to visit us for free, so you can experience our tour.

If you need more information or you want to contact us, please, fell free to send me an email to margabarcelob@cuevafunfun.net and I will be very happy to assist you.

Best regards,
Margarita Barceló
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Trip for Hato Mayor & Punta Cana! Not to miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I wish Trip Advisor would list this under Punta Cana attractions as well. It's not far and I had to search to find this and I think that would help more people find it! If you read the reviews we will be agreeing with pretty much everything written. The guides do make the trip (thank you Carlos, Henri & Guillaume - hope I got the names and spellings correct). They are funny, informative, patient (but not too patient ha!) and really professional. The drive is long but such a great switch if you are staying at a resort in Punta Cana and a chance to check out the scenery and lifestyle in the country. The horses are gentle, the hike is hard (I'm in pretty good shape since I'm from NYC but it's not so much a hike as a climb up rock stairs in humidity so do some stair work before you head out), the rappel is a blast (I agree with another reviewer I wanted even more rappelling and I'm afraid of heights!), and the cave is beautiful! Don't worry about the river or the brief moment under water that is easy and refreshing since you will be hot by that time. The food at the ranch beats anything you will eat at a resort. My husband told me after that it was the best day he's ever had so I got big points for this one. My only regret was the videographer didn't come that day and I didn't bring a waterproof camera so bring one just in case! Our only question now is can we return, do the longer cave side and cook there so we know how to make some traditional dishes! Thanks so much Cueva Fun Fun! We are recommending you to everyone!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Heather F
margabarcelob, Gerente at Rancho Capote - Cueva Fun Fun Tours, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hi! Fun Fun Cave staff wants to thank you for your comments. We are trying to be listed under Punta Cana's Tours. We will sent your comments to Tripadvisor, maybe it will help us, thank you. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed the full trip and your comments about our guides are so good. We are always trying to do our best. Like you say, it's a tour to see more about Dominican Republic lifestyle. About the food, all of our customers always tell us the same, it's the best food! Thank you all for your comments. We are very sorry for the inconveniences about the videographer, he really couldn't go that day, but what you have to do is come to DR again and visit us again :) It will be a pleasure to see you again at Fun Fun Cave! Regards from all of us.