“I didn't want to leave!”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I traveled to Zoetry with my husband in mid-December. Zoetry is about 40 minutes away from the airport. Sounds really far from the airport, but it adds to the secluded feeling of the resort. Upon arrival, the gate to the resort is rather unassuming. Once the gates opened, I was surprised how beautiful the entrance to the resort was: the open air lobby with high palm leaf roofs, the resident peacock and beautiful tropical landscaping. The front desk staff welcomed us with warm smiles, a welcome iced tea drink and a welcome Mamajuana shot (which is a must try in DR!).

We were extremely tired and hungry from our flight and wanted to settle into our room immediately. Unfortunately our room wasn't ready, so the staff kindly directed us to have a lunch at Indigo Restaurant. After eating, we checked in with the front desk and our room still wasn't ready. Finally after waiting about 2 hours, our room was ready. Our suite was absolutely beautiful, but we were unhappy to find that all the channels on our TV was "snowy". I reported it to the front desk and they said that since its the weekend, the maintenance guy won't be able to get to it until Monday. It was never fixed during our stay there. But who needs a TV when the pool was right outside our patio and the beach was within walking distance, right?!?

The pool was a bit on the chilly side and the outdoor hot tub was out of order. So we spent most of our time at the beach. We loved the beach! We ate lunch every day on the beach. The wait staff was very attentive. Besides the beach, there are activities, like horseback riding, spa services, bike riding, cooking classes, etc. As for the food, we tried almost everything on the menu.... and all we can say is YUM! Everything was so fresh and tasty. I did read the other comments about how the menu doesn't really change day to day and can get a little boring. I found that if you go to the restaurants they have a different menu than what is in the room service menu. The food is Dominican fusion food, but if you desire authentic Dominican cuisine, all you have to do is ask the wait staff. They are very accommodating.

I read the other comments on how the English of the staff is rather spotty. This really didn't bother me because my husband and I are visiting a foreign country and I didn't expect them to have the greatest English. I found that if you try your best Spanish, the staff greatly appreciates it and service gets better.

To sum up, I do not recommend this place for families. Yes there is a little playground area on premise, but that can get old after a while for the kids. If you are a big water sports person (jet skis, banana, etc), it's also not the place for you. This resort is a DO for couples. It is very romantic whether you are celebrating a honeymoon or an anniversary or just want to focus on each other. The housekeeping makes the room romantic every night for couples: flower petals on the bed and in the hottub. Its a DO for a relaxing vacay: the spa, working on your tan, catch up on a great book on the beach or just to simply get away from it all. The positives greatly outweighed our negatives during our stay. Great service, beautiful resort. I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 8a8yd011
Write a ReviewReviews (4,376)

Reviewed December 29, 2010

I would like to start off by saying that when I first booked this vacation I thought it was a bit pricey but the moment I got there I knew why. I could not believe what was included in my stay. From Massages to Horseback riding to Delicious Lobster dinners I was in heaven! I remember walking in to the room and being in awe at how beautiful it was. The shower was so tropical and relaxing and the seperate soaking tub was just what I needed to relax. We always had a full stocked fridge with items such as juice, soda, beer and even those small alcohol bottles that would cost a fortune in most other hotels.

I am always extremely uneasy when it comes to security of my personal posessions when I go to different countries because you just never know what could happen. There was one day during my stay that I accidently left my safe open with all of my money and documentation in it. When I got back to my room my safe was locked with a note saying to contact the front desk and within minutes they had someone from their security department come and make sure that I was satisfied with what was in there and reopened my safe. I was extremely satisfied with that procedure and it made me feel much more secure with my stay.

At night the paths and pool areas were lit up so elegantly that I just wanted to walk around the resort in the the fresh air and enjoy the view. There were times that I didnt want to go out to eat so I would just order room service and they would set everything up on my patio just as if I were in one of their restaurants. The bar services were amazing! Definitely try the Mamajuana which is a traditional Dominican drink which tastes delicious...

Everyone was super friendly and always went out of their way to get you what you asked for... It started to rain on one of my walks around the resort and one of the staff memebers gave me her own personal umbrella since I forgot the one that they offer in each room. Oh and I also loved the different little quote that they left on your pillow every night when they came to turn down the beds.

The spa was amazing! I literally spent a whole day just in the spa. They had a steam room, sauna, these cold showers that target different parts of your body which I had never heard of but thought was really cool. They had this nice sized heated pool with faucet waterfalls and jacuzi jets everywhere!.... They had all different types of spa services and offered and overall relaxing and invigerating experience.

The few things I would say could have been better would be a tad bit more lighting in the prep/sink area in the rooms and of course the mosquitos didnt help the occasion but luckly the hotel offered OFF bug repellant in each room which helped a little.

Overall my reccomendation would be if you are looking for a relaxing retreat or a romantic setting this is the #1 place to visit...... I cant wait to return...maybe even for my Honeymoon :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JasminV
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We first visited Zoetry Agua Punta Cana in November 2009, just 2 weeks after it opened and we couldn't wait to return this year.

The hotel is a quiet, peaceful, relaxing resort - so if buffets and a loud pool scene is your idea of fun, this might not be one for you! However, if you appreciate simple and delicious food, a warm and relaxed atmosphere with excellent service and want to spend some quality time with someone - look no further.

The bedrooms are simple, elegant and clean - think high ceilings, wooden floors, rainfall showers and crisp bed linen. Our ground floor room in 2009 was a swim up room, which means we had direct access to the pool from our veranda. This year we had a 2nd floor beach front room - with a large balcony area over looking the beach. The balconies and terraces have both a seated and a dining area - so you can imagine how much use you get from them - from a drink while watching the sun go down or enjoying a delicious breakfast.

There are 3 restaurants within the resort - serving freshly prepared meals. You can be sure that most nights 2 will be open. Breakfast is served in Amaya (the most central restaurant) - which also has air conditioning indoors which I really appreciate. It is also open for lunch and alternates for dinner. Indigo is down on the beach and is open for lunch, lunch on the beach and alternates for dinner. Olena is positioned just past reception and the Canoa Bar, and Olena only opens in the evening. This caused a stir on the nights it was open, as everyone in the resort wants to eat there at the same time and you do not need a reservation. So on those nights, maybe a good idea would be to leave some extra time, put your name down and have a drink before dinner - it is worth waiting for. The food has gone from strength to strength - this possibly is a holiday where you may come home healthier than when you arrived! The resort style is Casual Elegance - and it's nice to make an effort each night. Alternatively, dinner can be arranged to be served in your room or room service is available. If you don't see a resort manual or a menu in your room - ask for one! Maybe the guest before you removed it by accident. The cleaning staff are wonderful but if the hotel staff don't know something is missing, they cannot read your mind!

Each night, a newsletter is posted under your door to tell you which restaurants will be open the following day, what activities (come rain or shine) will be taking place and where and some general information on The Dominican Republic. It also advises you of what excursions are available and which special treatments are available in the spa. There is no hard sell, we did nothing with the events organised, we have no interest in excursions outside of the resort and didn't want any spa treatments so we lay on the beach every day and chatted with the events team but it was nice to know the option was there!

The staff at the resort are simply wonderful - nothing is too much trouble. Tips are not expected but are appreciated. Manners go a long way - a please and Thank you cost you nothing but are worth their weight in gold. Be patient with the wait staff, this is the Caribbean - not Starbucks. English is not their first language but they do take classes and they are eager to learn.

The development and growth of the resort we believe is down to the General Manager, Natalia Redondo and her dedication to excellence, to her team and to the resort itself. It was amazing to see how the staff have blossomed, under her careful supervision and encouragement.

The rooms, grounds, beach area and surroundings were even more beautiful than we remembered and the maintenance is a credit to the teams responsible.

We came home relaxed and refreshed after our stay and we very much look forward to our return. We certainly hope to make our trip to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana an annual vacation!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We planned our wedding, for 85 people, at the end of november 2010 at Zoetry. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our experience.

The resort is rustic, secluded and gorgeous. The food is delicious, and the staff is unbelievably warm and friendly. There are several reviews on this website complaining about a variety of things ranging from weather (a ridiculous thing to criticize) and poor wine selection/quality. One has to realize that this is a hotel in an isolated area in the dominican republic, and not the mandarin oriental in new york. As such there were obvious instances of having to ask several times for minor service requests and maintenance issues, and yes, at times, the service was a bit slow - but this is not the point - the warmth, friendliness of the staff, the willingness to do anything at all to assist with out event and our enjoyment - these all more than made up for the minor hiccups in the service and the result is an incredibly charming experience with a local flavor.

The hotel does organize activites every day - but the vibe is very low key and relaxed - some reviewers have complained about a lack of activities in the rain - the hotel has stretching classes, cocktail classes, dance classes, spanish lessons, etc. and if the reviewer who complained found this inadequate to enjoy him/herself I would suggest that the problem lies with the reviewer and not the hotel.

Many of our guests told us it was the most beautiful wedding they had attended and we were literally hugging the staff and management when we were leaving. The hotel manager, Natalia, is amazing and knows how to get things done. If you have questions about our experience contact her and ask for "senor chinola" (I love the local passion fruit and she sent a plate to our ocean front room every day) and she will put you in touch with me.

A very special place and we hope to be back soon - I cannot say enough nice things about the staff.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We just returned from our second trip this year to Zoetry. I didn't think it was possible, but this time was even better than the last. Our accomodations were outstanding. The service provided by the staff was always stellar. Most of them took care of us in March so it was like a homecoming visit. They were all very attentive and professional. To name a few, Cristina, Yari, Kenny, Enrique, Carlos, Juan, et al. were lovely. The food was not only wonderful, but the presentation was a work of art at every meal. The activities offered were varied and entertaining. I highly recommend the cigar making class. We enjoyed the services at the spa - a couples massage and the indoor hot tub were fabulous. Friends of ours are now planning their first visit in January. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2010

On November 6th, 2010, my wife and I celebrated our Wedding at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, along with 60 of our closets family and friends. Our Family and Friends all stayed at Zoetry from November 4th thru November 8th for the festivities. My wife and I stayed for a total of two weeks and celebrated our honeymoon.
The resort set up a great welcome dinner for all of us on the day of our arrival. The food was amazing!! The dinner was a great prelude for the start of our trip and wedding. The staff at Zoetry is un-like no other, they accommodated to our family in every way possible. Christina and Vladimir are part of Entertainment staff and they set up activities to keep our guest entertained during their stay and raining days. The Front desk staff, Carlos, Victor, and Werner took care of all our guest’s accommodation needs. Our nights with the bartenders Kenny and Gregorio at the hotel lobby were memorable. Mamajuanna shots were flowing unlimited without us having to order them. The waiter and waitresses were the best, they never said 'no' to any of our request, even when the restaurants were only serving snacks the staff would make meals for us. Jordani, Enrique and Carlos, made our service feel like we were the only ones there.
Even with a rainy vacation our family and friends were happy because all the effort and service the hotel’s staff made. Most importantly Natalia, the General Manager was always available for us and because of her and her staff’s joint effort, made our trip unforgettable.
In closing, we cannot wait to visit Zoetry Agua again in the near future, and our friends are already planning their own trips.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I went to Zoetry Punta Cana for my cousin's wedding this November and it was better than I expected. It was a beautiful resort. The rooms and the resort were very clean and it all gave a true spa and relaxing experience. All I,have to say is if your looking for a quiet and serene place to go then Zoetry is the place.

• Stayed: November 2010