“Amazing Honeymoon!”

Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Trinidad
“Amazing Honeymoon!”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana is certainly paradise; my husband and I spent our honeymoon here and it was absolutely wonderful! The resort was beautiful and intimate; the staff was amazing, the food was great, the spa was heavenly! We had such a relaxing vacation and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (877)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cape Neddick, Maine
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We traveled to the Zoetry after much searching for the 'perfect' honeymoon spot. It is an understatement to say the resort, and all that it has to offer, was FABULOUS!! The location is absolutely romantic, calm, and peaceful. We felt immediately at ease once we came through the gates. The staff were ALL so warm and welcoming. Derek and I found the staff to be extremely hardworking, but always kind enough to give us a smile.

The Zoetry is truly a special environment...we went in as 2 totally different people than we left as....and that is a wonderful thing. After all the activity around our wedding, we were able to totally decompress in an quiet, reserved spot. There are some classes/course offerings you could attend...Derek enjoyed the Rum tasting...or you could just lay on the beach and debate what time to head over to lunch.

The food at the Zoetry was unbelievable. I have a 'not-so-cooperative' stomach when it comes to altering my diet. I have NEVER felt so good with the food that they prepared. The chefs did an amazing job preparing each and every dish. Being from Maine, we are a bit biased when it comes to good seafood! I think the Zoetry offered a grilled lobster dish that FAR out-weighed anything that I've tasted in New England!

Our room was so comfortable and calming. There is a wonderful cultural feel with a very comfortable bed, and an open concept room. A deep bathtub is never something to be disappointed about! We were fortunate enough to have a walk-out to our own private plunge pool and immediate beach access....with a view to die for!

It is difficult to really pinpoint what we enjoyed most about our stay. I think most of the credit is due the staff and their hard work! From our morning greetings from the gardeners, to the nice gentlemen that prepared our daily coffee, to the waiter/waitresses, and to Judy and Rafaella at the spa...our honeymoon was SO much more than we expected! We enjoyed seeing all of their familiar faces of the staff on a day to day basis. We felt like they were family!

If you have the pleasure of encountering Natalia, the general manager, you will find an extraordinary woman with a warm and friendly personality, who works exceptionally as a leader and a team player with her staff!!

The second we were given the tour and welcomed to our room, both of us decided that this would be the place we want to return to for our 1 year anniversary...and every second after that moment just supported our plan!

This vacation was of extremely high caliber! We felt as though we were given wonderful attention, and were given the opportunity to remind ourselves the importance of slowing down and enjoying each other. Derek and I left the resort so relaxed and re-energized!

We are counting down the days until our 'hopeful' return next summer!!

1 Thank Megellie
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 21, 2010

This review is overdue; my husband and I had a chance to spend some time at Zoetry in early August. This was our second visit this year and we can't wait to go back again. I could go on and on but I'll try to keep this short, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

First of all, the staff makes this place what it is. Everyone is so friendly and accommodating, and you can clearly see they like doing their job. Natalia the General Manager is very present, and Ambioris, the food and beverage manager walks between restaurants all day making sure everything runs smoothly.
As a previous reviewer said (Hi Lauren!), things are not very formal at Zoetry, and in my opinion that is what makes it so great. When we spoke to Natalia about it, she told us she didn't want Zoetry to feel like a stuffy upscale hotel, but more like a comfortable vacation retreat where you're VERY well taken care of, and it clearly shows.

In the week plus we spent traveling the entire South coast of the Dominican we only had one meal that rivaled the food at Zoetry. Every meal is delicious and beautifully presented. The portions are small-ish so we enjoyed two or three courses almost every lunch and dinner.

Everything else in short:
The rooms are spacious and beautiful
The beach is gorgeous and uncrowded
The drinks are great
The guests are friendly and nice
The free worldwide calling is very convenient if you loose your Green Card, and Welter faxed things for me to the embassy too!

Thank you Natalia, Ambioris, Welter, Jonathan, Juan, Carlos and Carlos, Manuel, Jose, Kenny, Gregorio, Christina, Yari, Alexandra, and everyone I without a doubt am forgetting, for making us feel so welcome again. Hasta la próxima!!!

1 Thank gabklyn
North Carolina
Reviewed August 21, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Zoetry and wanted to send our review in before life kicked in and we forgot the little details that made it special! We spent 3 days there and were celebrating our anniversary.

We chose to do the private transport and when we came through the baggage claim at the airport, our driver was right there waiting for us - and we were on our way! The drive took about 50 minutes - the driver was friendly and the ac was cold.

When we arrived, Carlos greeted us with a smile and Kenny rushed over to offer us the iced tea of the day (cinnamon). The check in was seamless and Carlos took us on a tour of the grounds, which were beautiful. The other guests were very friendly and relaxed. Carlos answered all of our questions and showed us to our room, which was beautiful! We had a ground level room with a spacious patio that overlooked a small pool. There are a couple of smaller pools on the property that back up to some rooms, and then there is a larger pool in the back closer to the beach. The linens were crisp and white, and there was a fruit tray (that they replenished daily) and a stocked minibar (complimentary).The bathroom was gorgeous! There was a huge soaking tub as well as a spacious walk-in shower.

We loved the food - we've been to some of the larger all inclusive chains and the food was decent, but we didn't love it. This was fantastic - there was plenty of variety for each of the meals. The seafood was so fresh, as were the fruits and vegetables. Each morning we enjoyed fresh juice and warm breads, with whole fruit spreads. Friday night was a beach party, complete with live music and a delicious buffet that included grilled lobster and steak.

The service here is what made it stand out the most to us. From the moment we got there we felt warmly welcomed. This wasn't super formal butler service that is crisp and impersonal - we felt like we were being looked after by friends. On our anniversary, they made us a special cake with our names on it, and from the first day everyone knew our names. Natalia does a fantastic job with her team and when they say that it's their pleasure to do something for you it is apparent that they mean it. We made a list of names to mention on the plane to try to not leave anyone out - Juan, Carlos, Ambierto, Rafael, Manuel, Fernando, Martina, Rosa - and Kenny at the bar took very good care of us as well! I enjoyed a massage and facial at the spa - Judy is phenomenal. Definitely ask for her if you go - she is a master of her craft. We had no issues communicating with the staff - everyone speaks enough English that our terrible Spanish wasn't an issue - and besides, we were in a spanish speaking country! Even the maintenance employees were friendly - our ac was making a rattling noise (but still worked fine!) and within moments of calling it in, he was there and had it fixed in no time.

Anything you ask for here, they will go out of their way to try to get for you. If you want to be welcomed into a smaller place to relax, recharge, and enjoy the beautiful surroundings - this is the place!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Zoetry Agua and its staff were out of this world. I cant thank enough every single person at this hotel for the amazing time we had in our honeymoon. They made us feel like at home, everyone so nice and always smiling. everyone remembered our names, even the amazing maids who clean our beautiful rooms 3 times a day, and at night they put flowers and candles all over our room. The food, was amazing... I was scared before we got there, been an all inclusive, I was expecting a Vegas buffet style food, however, the 3 restaurants had a gourmet style menu with amazing flavor and artistic presentations. We spent 9 days there, and because they only have 3 restaurants they told us that if there was anything in particular that we would like to eat, they will prepare it for us even if the chef had to go buy the ingredients outside the hotel. So we had Sushi one night, and other great meals.
Carlos in the reception was always trying to make us feel like kings, and he did 120% to accommodate any of our needs. Cristina the activities coordinator, was sooooo friendly , every time she passed next to us she came and talked to us to see if everything was great. She arrange amazing activities and with the help of Bladimir, they made our stay much more fun.
We just got back from our honeymoon, and we feel as we left a small group of friends back at the Zoetry hotel. We will be back for sure!!!

1 Thank Ezekiel_Tali
Chicago
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We visited the Zoetry July 31 to August 7 and I have to say it was one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever taken. The first words we heard when we arrived to the resort were “Welcome home” and, in fact, that was exactly the warm, gracious attitude that permeated our week at the Zoetry. Much has already been said about the incredible staff at this resort and all of it is true. We are pretty well traveled, having sampled resorts from the Four Seasons in Bali, Caneel Bay, and numerous Ritz Carltons across the country. All of those resorts have fabulous service, but this is a different type of service. In most upscale resorts, the staff is very helpful but extremely formal – always addressing you by your last name. At the Zoetry, the staff makes a point to ask your name and typically greets you by your first name whenever they see you. It is very down to earth and unassuming, which we loved. Typically, we do not learn the names of the resort staff, but here it was just part of the culture of the resort and we had a lot of fun getting to know everyone. Let me share a little about this fine group: Victor welcoming us to the resort and gave us the grand tour of the resort and answered all of our questions. Yari and Angie worked so hard to get us drinks on the beach. Manuel and Carlos always had a smile for us at the restaurants. A special shout out to Juan, the most wonderful server who learned early on that I love spicy food and would routinely whip up spicy pico de gallo or jalapenos and tabasco or other “muy caliente’ suprises to enhance my meal (from breakfast to dinner!). No matter where I was, Juan would spot me from across the restaurant and rush over the hot stuff. Jordani routinely served us breakfast and lunch and always welcomed us in as though she were welcoming us into her own home. Gregario, the night bartender, delighted us with his surprise concoctions and infectious laugh – just ask him to make you a “surprise” at your own risk – they can be pretty potent. Vladimir helped with activities and had great stories to tell and a wonderful enthusiasm for his job, as did his boss Christina. Finally, Natalia, who I am sure you have already read so much about. Natalia is truly the life force of this resort. She is warm and gracious but also very much the consummate professional and is on top of every detail. When we arrived, we had a small mechanical issue with our room. Natalia addressed it immediately and found us another room so we would not have to wait for it to be fixed. Natalia has a real presence at the resort, walking the restaurants during meals to mingle with guests and make sure everything is ok. Things are bound to stray from perfection at even the finest resort, but Natalia is just so dedicated to making things right and correcting any problems as they arise. So, if you do go to the Zoetry, make a point of seeking Natalia out to say hi.

At the risk of being repetitive, here is what we thought of the various aspects of the resort:

The rooms -- these had a relaxing, spa-like feeling to them. We had a first floor room which was right on a pool and it was really wonderful to be able to slip off our back porch and right into the water. There are great shallow ledges in the pool to hang out on so you can be in the water while reading a book. There are also comfy pool beds scattered about and the staff is careful to stock the chairs with baskets of beach towels each morning. Housekeeping was diligent in keeping our room fresh. Loved the towel swans they made for us and well as the rose petal bubble bath they left for us one evening. The only warning I have for you is that housekeeping does turn down service late into the night – at least as late as 10:30. If you are ready to turn in for the night and don’t wish to be bothered, just hang your “SHHHHH” shell on your door and they will pass you by and just slip the activities sheet for the next day under your door. Room seemed very private, we never really heard any of our neighbors and there was rarely anyone out at the pool by our room. Finally, our air conditioner worked great – we kept it quite chilly in there without a problem.

The grounds -- very rustic but well tended. Lots of greenery and flowers, coi and the turtles in the pond and little geckos running around. In response to another review I saw posted, I don't think I ever heard a frog making any noise at night, I must have been sleeping too soundly. Be sure to keep an eye out for Paco the peacock. He likes to wander around the resort throughout the day. Natalia is on the hunt for a new mate for him so hopefully there will be two birds wandering the resort soon.

The pool/ocean. Just perfect, plenty of chairs for everyone, no need to get up early to stake out a space. The staff does a great job walking the beach to make sure your every need is met. I really liked sampling the iced tea of the day each morning and also the snacks they would bring by for us to nibble on. The ocean is pretty calm and is a perfect temperature. Plenty of beach to walk on if you like to take long walks.

The activities. I confess, we did not do many but that was our choice. We typically were just too blissed out with a cold drink and a good book gazing at the ocean from under a palapa. I did take the cigar rolling class, which was fun (and comes with a free cigar if you are so inclined). I also took the rum tasting class – which was interesting and led to partaking in too much mamajuana later that evening. I also did the paella cooking class right on the beach. My husband played volleyball one evening on the beach and had a great time.

The other guests – Well, it is always random who you meet on vacation, but we found that most of the people we met were incredibly friendly and outgoing. Although this is not a happening place, there seems to always be someone to chat up at the bar or mingle with on the beach. When we were there, only 29 of the 51 rooms were occupied so there weren’t many people there, but we really liked the opportunity to meet such a wide range of people from all over the world. A special shout out to Tony and Elizabeth, Beth and Ashley, Derrick and Meg, and Kyle and Gudbjorg.

The restaurants. We liked the food in all of them. Now, you need to be prepared that they run on a slow pace – as does the whole resort. You have to let go a bit and just chill out. I can see how that pace might not work well if you have kids you are trying to feed, but for us, the slow pace (which we would never have time for at home) was actually enjoyable. We had time to get out of the sun at lunch and take a nice break – often engaging in conversation with the couples at neighboring tables. Each restaurant had a good variety and we found that if we didn’t see something on the menu we wanted, the staff was happy to ask the chef to make something different. For example, my husband would routinely have a grilled fish sandwich which was not on the menu. Also, at lunch, they can make any kind of pizza you can dream up. Finally, the big beach party which is done buffet style, was a lot of fun. It used to be on Saturday nights, but I think it has now been moved to Fridays.

Overall, if you need a place that is down to earth and relaxing, a place to reconnect with someone you love, then this is a perfect place to go. Your biggest decisions during the day will be challenging ones like “pool or beach” and “margarita or beer.” Yes, some of the staff is less well versed in English than others, but even with my low level of Spanish we were always able to communicate and never had an issue. In fact, I had a lot of fun practicing my Spanish as the staff worked on their English. As I indicated in my title, this is a place where you go to find your smile. We can’t wait to convince some of friends to go back with us there next year – back to our new Punta Cana home. Muchas gracias! Lauren and Doug.

4 Thank Beachmom2kids
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Dear Lauren and Doug,
Thank you so much for your thorough and dedicated review, we are so happy to learn that we succeeded in so many ways in making your stay so memorable. Can't wait to welcome you back!
Thank you for your comment on the lateness of the turndown service, this is the second posting about it and even though we had already worked on it, it seems we need to get our hands back on it in order to avoid disturbing our guest at late hours. I promise a more timely service upon your next visit.
Most of all, on behalf of all the team, thank you for your kind recognition of our hard work and passion, it's worth it if you were able take it with you.
Kind Regards,
Natalia
Chester
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My Wife and I have just returned from 2 fantastic weeks at the Zoetry and for pure gits and determination to be the best of the best this hotel gets my vote and a big thumbs up.
I have travelled on business throughout Europe and North America for 30 years and I must say that I have never met a group of people more dedicated to making a project work than Natalia and her team.
Previous posts mention many of the wonderful people at this resort and I will not repeat what they say other than to mention Juan, Gregario, Manuel, Kenny G , Carlos and of course the beautiful Yari and Angie on the beach. There are so many more and you know who you are.
The Hotel it'self is in a great position on a wonderful beach protected by a reef from the major waves found either side of the resort. This allows for safe swimming for all but also allows you to walk 250 yards to water more suitable for boarding if required. Whilst it is possible to snorkel at the resort, the lack of fish may disappoint the keen sportsman.
The beach is cleaned everyday by Paul even to the extent of keeping the sand moist to prevent wind damage.
To those who have commented on the lack of facilities and in particular those for children , this is mainly a resort for adults who wish to relax and get away from it all. However , I would take my kids if I wanted to spend family time with them in a safe resort where I knew they would be looked after in style. For those people who wish to off load their kids into a resort programme and pick them up at the end of the day forget it !!. This is about enjoying time with your loved one's or family and to recharge your batteries.
To those who say that the resort has little or no activities -did you go to the same resort as I did?. The activities are there if you want such things as yoga, cigar classes, wine tasting, horse riding, scuba lessons etc but you need to look for them and participate. Many classes do not happen as people are just too chilled to turn up. Volleyball on the beach with Christina in the setting sun was fantastic but you need more than one to tango. This is not a resort for loud beach games and late night parties!!.
The food is fantastic and again to those who say it's limited and boring, did you ask for something different?. The Chef''s would prepare whatever you required ( even plain food Natalia !! ).
Evenings were spent around the lobby bar meeting many people from across the world in what can only be described as a casual , friendly and relaxed environment. Yes Tiffany us Brit's do speak to others as you now can testify - thanks for your and Drew's company.
The rooms are fantastic in terms of what I could see. Our room 22 was a Ocean Front ground floor suite with a plunge pool and had everything you wanted for 2 weeks ( including Yari and Angie who provided drinks without even asking)
If you want direct beach access go for one of these rooms, if you want a bit more privacy go for one of the upper rooms on the front. The swim up rooms also looked to be in a great position and whilst the garden rooms looked good, I guess you get what you pay for in this respect.
This is a small resort where you will meet many people who will touch your life's forever. You may also encounter some guests who complain about every little thing ( you will get them at home , in the workplace , on the plane as well ) but the resort has enough space to avoid these people and enjoy what is there for you.
So Natalia you deserve the special mention because you set out last November with 10 days to bring back to life a resort which had closed down , which had some bad reviews ( check out how many of the poor reviews are prior to Novemebr 2009 and how many are after this date ) and which needed some tender loving care. You did more than restore this resort, you give it pride and passion , you made people eager to work as a team and the most important thing of all, you made a couple celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and my Wife's 50th birthday very happy indeed.
So as I began - this is not a 5* resort , no it's so much better for 100 different reasons than your normal 5* resort.
Zoetry Aqua - well done and excelente.

PS - Frank and Christine I hope the Buckets didn't cause too much trouble.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Skiingbuffy24
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the time you dedicated to your lovely review and all the wonderful things you had to say about our property, there is one thing you mentioned that stood out for me: you spoke highly of us as a team with pride and care for our guests, and since that is exactly what we are aiming for, I just wanted to show my appreciation from ALL OF US!
It was a pleasure to have you here and become your Dominican family, we hope to see you some time soon.
Kind regards,