“Disruptive Children Nearly Ruined Our Stay!”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at ZAPC. Although some travel agents still mistakenly believe that this is an Adults Only property, it is not. Children are accepted even though there is little to entertain them other than the beach and the pools. Contrast that relaxed policy towards children with the expressed focus being on wellness, serenity and an escape from the hectic activities of everyday life and you can see that the two cannot always coexist and they didn't for us during our week's stay.

Our plan was for an indulgent and restful beach and spa week. It was nearly ruined and certainly disrupted by unsupervised unruly children who were allowed to roam the property at will, shrieking at the top of their lungs and playing tag through diners tables in the restaurant. One afternoon, we were told to "come back later" at the spa because the large extended family group had virtually taken over the hot tub there. Children shouldn't even be in a hot tub. When we complained, we were told that children had been allowed since the resort opened in November of 09 and that there had "never been a problem". That did not make us feel any better. We considered going home early.

Our poolside room was very nice. Large, though not a suite as the name implied. The only seating area was outside on the patio and mosquitos made it rather senseless to sit outside after sunset even though they fogged the entire property liberally every evening. In the dressing and vanity area there were no hooks for the hand towels anywhere near the sinks, the cheap little magnifying mirror was worthless and the overhead lighting inadequate. The shower didn't drain properly because the drain hole was not recessed. The maid had to sweep the water down the drain every morning because the floor was floating. The bath tub took half an hour to fill due to low water pressure. One night the entire resort lost all hot water right before dinnertime. Twice we had a faucet in a restroom in the public areas come totally off the wall, spewing water everywhere. Several aqua therapy items in the spa pool were inoperable. I hope the parent company doesn't think their refurbishment of the previously owned property is finished.

The food was good, quite tasty and well prepared but simple and certainly not gourmet quality. The menus didn't change at all during our week and often the food delivered at table wasn't at all like the description on the menu or there would be an unannounced substitution of side items. Dishes available one day would be unavailable the next due to lack of stock. Wines included on the all inclusive list were rather dreadful. I recognized one as a variety sold locally in my supermarket for less than $6. Many mixed drinks were over sweetened with liquers.

I'd have to say that the staff were wonderful, warm and friendly and very anxious to please. Though we speak only restaurant Spanish, we had no problems communicating. Any request for anything special and the staff would go out of their way to provide it, if available. We did not see the manager on the premises until our last evening. Perhaps her more obvious presence could have alleviated some of the problems with the children?

All in all, we enjoyed the resort before and after the children left, so we got part of what we came for. I wouldn't say that a five star all glowing wonderful review is in order, as the resort isn't at all perfect. It does have possibilities. Above all, I hope AmResorts will reconsider their relaxed children welcome policy. These resort properties are small, boutique like accommodations and they should be FOR ADULTS ONLY.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Salt Water Diva
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your stay with us, your assesment and suggestions are very valuable to us.

I will address first of all what seems to have been the main issue, as your headline indicates it, which is the policy towards children at Zoetry Agua. We do welcome families to stay with us within the Zoetry brand, we have not branded our resorts as Adults Only and would appreciate it if you were to provide us with any information regarding any souce where it is sold as such. Our experience since our opening with children has been actually a very pleasant one and up until now it had not been a problem or disrupted anybody's stay. As you well put it, a SPA is however not a place for children, therefore we have established a clear policy regarding the restricted use and access to this facility for anyone under the age of 16. Actually, this already took action on the same weekend you were here and therefore the situation was not repeated.

As for the issues you encountered with hot water and faucets, we incurred into a general installation problem that has been solved, we apologize for the inconvenience this caused during your stay. The refurbishement of a property is a permanent course of action, we are working hard into keeping all of our facilities and infrastructure at expected levels of quality.

Towards your comments about the food, we have held a meeting with the appropiate staff to resolve any inconsitency between the menu and the actual dish, we have worked out how to make them match. I am glad you did enjoy the taste of it, we are very proud of our kitchen staff and the love they put in their cooking (100% dominican).

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, they have all received your compliments. I am convinced that they are the best part of staying with us.

Once again, thank you for your time and we certainly hope we get to welcome you back any other time, in the meantime we will keep on striving and marching firmly towards the perfection that would then merit an all glowing 5* review.

Best regards,

Natalia Redondo

There are newer reviews for Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

Reviewed April 8, 2010

My spouse and I arrived in Punta Cana on March 19th for our stay at Zoetry Agua Resort through to March 25th. This was not our first trip to the Dominican Republic and it definitely will not be our last.

From the time we exited baggage claim at the airport, we were immediately greeted by a representative that was providing us transportation to the resort. The two gentleman (sorry I cannot recall their names) quickly got us comfortable in a modern SUV, engaged us with conversation and cracked a bottle of champagne for our hour long journey to the resort…..the return trip was equally as comfortable and a relaxing end before you fly.

Once we arrived at the resort, staff was present to greet us from the moment we exited the vehicle, check in was quick, and although we our room was not immediately available we were welcome to use the facility as we desired. We were quit content to sit at the lobby bar and enjoy conversation with the bartender and some of the other guests. (note to all, there is no specified check-in or check-out time at Zoetry, thus it is a very relaxing atmosphere and if you find yourself a little anxious when you arrive and your accommodations are not immediately available, know the staff will be very attentive to you and your comforts while your room is being prepared…relax, have a cocktail, enjoy the resort and know you will experience the same leisurely departure.)

Natalia, (property general manager) was quick to introduce herself and welcome us to the resort, as well asking if there was anything she could do for us, either then or during our stay not to hesitate.

When are room became available we were accompanied to it, room 44, an upper villa with an ocean view from one side and a garden/serpentine pool view on the other…..I believe most of the villas are similar in size and amenities and are very nice (there are some larger villas). Staff will quickly become aware of the products you prefer to have in your mini bar and do a great job of keeping it stocked.

The property is not large and boutique in style. If your room is not on the beach it is only a short walk to it. It is kept clean and there was never an issue finding a lounge chair to relax in, and if you prefer to move to the pool, it is only a step from the beach as is the beach restaurant (Indigo). If you are at the beach we found that there is a constant breeze that somewhat masks the amount of sun you may be absorbing….there is plenty of areas for shade if you desire.

As others have commented, the staff does a terrific job of meeting your needs while you are by the pool or on the beach. If you desire something to eat, whether it is shrimp cocktail, nachos, a burger or anything else, all you have to do is ask and it will be brought to where ever you are. There are three restaurants on the property, of which two will be open for evening dining. We were never disappointed in a meal although we cannot really comment on breakfast as we are not big eaters at this time of the day, but the Dominican coffee is excellent in our opinion. Natalia arranged for us to have a traditional Dominican lunch, which we had pool side. All I will say is it was terrific, and if you go be sure to ask for it.

We took advantage of the included amenities, such as the complimentary message and horseback riding. You will not be disappointed in either. The horse back ride is 45 minutes long or so starting and returning at the resort beach. The guides that take you on the ride will take pictures for you if you like and will take you on a gallop along the beach if you are comfortable with it. The message is very relaxing (even if for only 20 minutes), and very easy to arrange. This was one amenity that we did reinvest in during our stay. The complimentary international calling is a very nice touch and one we made use of it daily to keep in touch with our daughter who was in Europe during our stay. Additionally, the complimentary wireless internet is equally enjoyable, which we also used daily. Unlike some other that have reviewed this resort, we never experienced any major connectivity issues and it worked well for us. One last comment on activities, Christine is the activities director and puts together a number of things you can participate in during the day if you wish…she is also genuinely interested in making your stay enjoyable. Be sure to touch base with her if you see or hear of something you would like to do….great job and she is a super Spanish teacher!

The resort is working on the little things it wants to improve on as it has only been reopened for approximately 5 months and they are doing a great job! Natalia is very conscious of addressing any of the items that are in need of a little TLC, and is open to feedback guests may have to offer.

In our opinion the best part of this vacation at Zoetry is their staff. Hats of to all of you, and we enjoyed every day with each of you. We wish we could remember everyone’s name and personally recognize each of you. If you read this review Natalia please say hi and thank you to all of your staff for us!

Yes, you may find minor language barriers, but keep in mind you are in a Spanish speaking country and everyone that is there is doing very good with their English. They are working hard to make your vacation enjoyable and staff is quick to learn your name. In our opinion Spanish only adds to the experience. Many of our evenings were spent at the bar after dinner mingling with other guests and the bartenders of who we shared some good times with! (Kelly, Jose and Papa Bear (not his real name, only the nick name we came up with for him, you will recognize him by his devilish laugh!!) We never had a problem finding a cocktail to enjoy, and be sure to try some Mamajuana!!!!

We had a great time, made some new friends, and we look forward to visiting again soon!

ST & HT

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank canuck6771
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My wife and I recently spent two weeks at the Zoetry Resort in Punta Cana from February 19 – March 5, 2010.
The Service: What makes a resort GREAT is its service and staff - and Zoetry excels by hiring kind and caring individuals, totally committed to satisfying their guests. We travel south for two weeks each year and have stayed at many 5* resorts - this is absolutely the best service we have ever received. By day three they knew us by name (mind you Arlene is a tough one in Spanish) and what drinks we liked. Champagne arrived daily at 430pm in our room just in time for cocktail hour!
Led by Manager Natalia who was always on hand to talk with, the Zoetry Team goes well above and beyond to satisfy your every need. A special thanks go to: Fernando, Enrique and Enrique, Pedro, Juan, Manuel, Rosa, Martina, Jordana, Christina and Gregorio. Our vacation was made very special because of your dedication!
The Food: We enjoyed it all. I was in my element – steak and lobster each night (and sometimes for lunch). We were at the resort when my wife celebrated her 50th birthday. A beautiful table was prepared and sous-chef Areche made a special dinner. My wife’s favorite dessert is a chocolate Lava cake, while not on the menu, the pastry chefs Juan and Basileo found the recipe and made it for us (and served it several times during our stay). It seems like the menu was just a “suggestion” – they made you whatever you wanted, including pizza for my wife.
The Room: We booked a Caribe suite. We found ourselves in our own little bungalow, with separate living room, bedroom, plunge pool and outdoor bathtub and shower. Staying for two weeks, this extra space was a luxury.
The SPA: We both enjoyed several spa treatments, including a facial, three massages and a body wrap. Judy and Melania – thank you! I wish we could have taken you back home with us! We have never felt so pampered.
We have to mention that part of Endless Privileges includes laundry services… what a good idea, next year we will have only one suitcase for both of us (wishful thinking!!)
This is one resort we would not hesitate to return to!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cloud9Montreal
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I only wish I could comment on our experience at Zoetry. Zoetry overbooked, we were notified at the last minute and so we never got to experience the property!!! We travel a fair amount all over the world and I've never, ever had anything like this happen.

I don't think I've ever written a review for anything but this one seemed worthy.

We booked our trip in December after much research for a week in Mid-March. We were very excited to go. I had booked the trip via Expedia which made me a little nervous so I contacted Zoetry directly. After a couple e-mail attempts, I got a confirmation from Zoetry of our reservation, and even a follow-up confirming our airline info and they told me to not worry, all was set. If only that were the case.

We were set to fly out on a Friday and even received an e-mail confirmation from Expedia on the Monday before we were set to leave. Thursday afternoon, we literally have our bags packed and in the car ready to go down to the airport to spend the night and we got a call that Zoetry was overbooked. They claimed they sent an e-mail weeks ago, but we didn't receive anything and as I mentioned I had confirmations as recent as three days prior. And let's just give them the benefit of the doubt, when you didn't get a reply, why wouldn't you call???? But no one called or left a phone message until the afternoon before our flight.

So, the solution? Zoetry's first solution was that we come another week. No comment on that. With flights, jobs and kids, NOT an option. Then they offered to move us to a sister hotel and give us a free week at Zoetry next year. This may be a good deal for some, but when pressed they could not give us the same oceanfront room we had paid for and I couldn't fathom trusting they'd give me free week next year when I couldn't get the week this year that I paid for and reserved months ago.

Not satisfied with what we felt was a "bait & switch" approach, we finally contacted Expedia. Literally taiking to them on the cell phone while my husband was driving down to the airport - we rearranged our accomodations. Of course we are completely at the mercy of the Expedia guy on the other end. Thankfully the Expedia guy was a good guy and went out of his way to help us. He even stayed past his shift trying to work things out for us. He made us a reservation at a "comparable hotel"... so off we went completely in the dark as to whether we really had a place to stay and whether it would be nice. Luckily the Expedia folks did a nice job and as luck would have it we were at the Sivory resort which is essentially right next door to Zoetry and it was FABULOUS.

Zoetry might be a terrific property with terrific service... but we wouldn't know

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NorthernLattitude
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We arrived at the airport, hot and sticky after a long overseas trip. The car was waiting for us as soona s we set out of the airport. In the car, towels and water and champagne were handed to us. What better way to start your holiday?
Once we arrived at the hotel we received a welcome drink a tour of the hotel by the boss herself - Natalia.

The rooms are huge, very well kept and the definite plus was the huge tub and rain shower in the bathroom. the rooms are cleaned, towels changed, bed made, mini bar filled 4 times a day and every evening, the latest news on the hotel and the activities.

During the whole of our stay, if you needed ANYTHING, at ANY time, all you needed to do was ask. Natalia and her team made sure our stay was without glitches and frustration... And it was!

Being european, we appreciate good food, good wine and good service. There was no doubt that all three of these conditions were met and the setting of the hotel in luscious, impeccably kept garden made our stay perfect! What more can one ask, when looking for piece and quiet than a 52 room hotel with a great pool, good food, good beverages, great service and view on the sea?

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sonya-Belgium
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We stayed in Zoetry Agua at the end of March and it was an incredible experience to say the least. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with smiles all around from their very friendly staff. We had to wait for our room as the hotel was slightly overbooked, although we came prepared and were able to spend the afternoon on the beach sipping on some cocktails. No complaints.

The rooms are beautiful and look even better than they do in the pictures. Very pleasantly surprised so we immediately made ourselves at home. Fully stocked minibar, TV (channels weren't great but we could always manage to find something to watch), and an incredible tub (perfect for spending your first night in sipping some champagne which gets delivered to your door).

The resort grounds are very well-maintained, always people around trimming and watering etc. The entire place is absolutely beautiful with an amazing pond, my favourite resident was the turtle! The beach is stunning, so peaceful, clean and not crowded. The privacy of the beach is maintained by 24 hour security, although as you spend your day on the beach you barely even notice them while they are doing their job. The water is gorgeous. We were surprised at how warm and calm it was around the resort - good for snorkeling. Further up the beach, the waves were quite rough.

The food is very good. There is a decent amount of choice in the three restaurants, especially when you consider the small size of the resort. The chef has no issues when making a dish exactly how you want it, although there were minor misunderstandings when ordering things 'plain'. All in all, very tasty. Drinks are plentiful! There's a great range of premium brand alcohol. I suggest the Mamajuana!!! Also, while relaxing on the beach or by the pool, there is no need to get up to order food or drinks. Instead, waitresses are always walking around offering to bring you something.

The service in the hotel is top notch!! We had never experienced service like this anywhere else in the world to date. All the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and go out of their way for you. Particularly brilliant were Jose the bartender, Carlos the waiter, Manolo and Eduardo at front desk. A true gentleman was Ambi who deals with food and drink at the hotel. He helped us to set up a private dinner on the beach for my birthday. We had no idea that he was going to have a birthday cake prepared for me with my name and everything on it!! It really made me feel special as at other hotels, staff don't really bother to ask your name.

Overall, we had the most amazing trip of our lives! We are aware that the resort is not long open and they have minor things to iron out. I must credit the staff for always asking how they can improve the quality of their service even more, and the resort in general. We will never forget this holiday and we will most definitely be back in the coming future. HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2010

As a well seasoned traveller to 5 star resorts in the caribbean, (3 trips per winter) I chose Zoetry Agua Punta Cana for a relaxing escape from my daily life as a wife and mother of three children. I have recently stayed in both the Secrets Maroma and Dreams Tulum, both owned by the same parent company as Zoetry; and thus expected not only the same outstanding 5 star service that they provide but that 'little bit extra' that Zoetry claims to provide. Unfortunately, my trip was not all that I had hoped for.

I will try to keep my facts brief about my disappointments.

Upon arriving at the hotel and unpacking I discovered I had no hot water. This was at 4pm. After 2 calls to the front desk and one visit in person (and 18 hrs later!) I finally had a hot shower.

Traveling alone, I prefer to dine in my room for dinner most nights. My room had no Room Service menu when I arrived, and it too took 3 separate requests to get one - which I ended up having handed to me in the front lobby, despite my directly asking for it to be placed 'in' the room for me (as I was on my way elsewhere).

The '3 times daily maid service' never happened. The first 4 days of my 7 day trip, the maid never came until 2pm! Then at 10:30pm - when most people are already in their room for the night (as the resort has no evening entertainment).

I was situated in an Ocean Front suite with a plunge pool. Sounds great - but No. The first three days of my trip it rained and so the pool went unused and filled to the top. Once the rain stopped, someone came and drained the pool to only half full - and there it remained for the remainder of my stay - half full and not once cleaned, full of sand and leaf debris.

Another (small to some I know) frustration was the lack of internet in my room. While the resort claims to have internet available in all rooms, it was 'down' when I got there. Upon enquiring at the front desk, I was told it was being repaired and would be unavailable for 'a day or two'. At the end of my 7 day trip it was still 'unavailable'. Seeing as I had promised my young son that I would 'Skype' with him every night before bed - this was incredibly disappointing and frustrating to say the least. While internet was available in the front lobby - it was not always comfortable to sit in the evening with your laptop in the open air building while being eaten by the over abundance of mosquitos.

There were numerous other 'small' frustrations such as having to call the front desk at 8pm to ask for towels, as I still did not have any from that days cleaning. The television in my room had only one english speaking channel that was not sports and the room service menu for 'Dinner' is very limited. The champagne and SUV pickup from the airport that was supposed to be included was also missing.

In light of all the negatives I experienced on this trip I have to say that the service staff at the bars are the highlight of the resort. Each one makes the effort to learn your name and engage you in conversation. I was also fortunate enough to be able to go horseback riding 3 separate times on my trip and my thanks to the co-ordinator (sorry I cannot recall her name!) that helped arrange my private excursion.

While I understand from others that I spoke to while there (whom were voicing their frustrations over similar issues) that Natalia is trying her best to be on top of everything and puts in very long days; there are still numerous 'kinks' to be worked out of this resort. After my first few trips to the lobby to try and rectify an issue, I felt as though the staff were less than pleased to see me coming and Natalia herself never once came to see me about my issues.

I hope Zoetry Agua is able to overcome it's many little problems and grow into the wonderful resort that it has the potential to be. If it does not, it will not last.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank BlueEyedPrincess
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

Dear guest,

Thank you for you clarity and thorough feedback, I wish I had met you personally to take note of all the numerous "kinks" (as you so kindly put it) you encountered over your visit.
Thank you for the generous recognition of my efforts to be on top of it all and working hard to make this a permanent top quality resort, as it is evident from the comments of your experience, in your case neither I nor my team have been able to keep up and deliver what you were righteouss to expect: better communication, follow up, solutions and consistency. My sincere apologies to you for not being able to provide all of that to you during your stay.

The potential you made a point in mentioning at the end of your review, is indeed our objective and none of your remarks will go unnoticed. Communication within the Front Office staff and the rest of the departments, Intermitent WIFI service, TV Channel offer and Room Service menus are being solved as I write to you.

I would be even more grateful if I could contact you directly, we want to make it up to you. If you were to consider it, please forward me your contact details to info.zoapc@zoetryresresorts.com or to my profile on Facebook: Natalia Zoetry Agua.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and rest assured that we are committed to overcome our "growing pains" and evolve quickly and effectively to the wonderful experience we want to guarantee when choosing Zoetry Agua.

Kind regards,

Natalia Redondo

ps. I have told the team at the bars about your nice comment towards the great job they do.