“Please avoid this resort”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Please avoid this resort”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Zoetry Resort in Punta Cana was a huge disappointment. Let me say first, that in general, I am not a fan of all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. However, given the Trip Advisor reviews I thought I would give Zoetry a try. My travel agent booked us a package which included transfers and a $200 resort credit. The “resort credit” was applicable only to certain items in certain amounts and required that we at least be introduced to a “Timeshare” opportunity. To make matters worse, when I used the “spa credits” the coupon was in US $ but the credit was given in Dominican Pesos. By the time I paid my bill the cost of two massages went from $310 to $382 just on the back and forth between $ and pesos. What a rip off!

The food was deplorable and while the alcohol was promised to be “top shelf” it was very pedestrian ~ especially the wine. The Service was painfully slow and scarce. Trying to get a Coke Light was impossible. Also the service staff spoke very little English. If there was a problem there was very little one could do to get resolution.

On the positive side, the grounds were beautiful and well maintained and the beach and ocean were lovely.

The ocean front rooms were attractive but poorly constructed and maid service was rarely done until later in the day. Internet in the room was good but it did not work well outside of the room – so much for resort wide wifi. The Spa was very expensive and the staff there was a bit surly.

Did I say that the food was awful? It bears repeating.

There is nothing I can recommend about the Zoetry Resort and its management. There are two other all-inclusive resorts near Zoetry which I discovered are owned by the same company. Avoid Dreams and Breathless at all costs as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
14 Thank Anita M
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Taguey: Good Day-Good Sun.

I am really sorry to hear your impression about our resort. It sounds like the beauty of the ground and the lovely beach did not compensate our area of opportunities. I would like to apologize on the behalf of the entire team, if we did not impress you during your valuable vacations.

On the other hand I am a little surprised by your comment on the food as our Chef Executive from Europe, has won many awards in the Gourmet Cuisine field and we are focusing a lot of our nature & fresh ingredients and the way we elaborate them. In addition to that, we are having a very high score in food satisfaction with our guests, it is a pity we could not match your expectations.

Regarding the wine included, we are offering 7 options of imported wines (from Spain to Chile, through California) and we also carry a 100 imported wine bottles list on our menu in order to provide the most variety possible to please any preference. We are sorry to hear you could not find one of your taste.

On maid service come three times a day, to actually provide the best service to our guests during the day: usually our guests inform Reception on special time they need their service, it appears we did not match neither your expectations on that level and we feel very sorry.

We truly appreciate the time you took to inform us about those several points and I guarantee you we will work on them immediately.

Thanks for sharing your comments

Regards

Lionel Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here early February. Like other reviews, must say that the overall experience was underwhelming! Great property, no real issues, but level of service did not match our expectations especially concerning the price we paid. Zoetry markets itself as a small boutique hotel, which it is. But it does not really provide a top shelf experience, and in fact a guest could not differentiate between the service at Zoetry vs a Secrets/Breathless/Dreams (all owned by same company). People are friendly, but too little sattention to detail for a high end spot.
Very interesting to see the Zoetry General Manager give a nice little (if repetitive and self serving) thank you to all the TA reviews that are complimentary. But he totally ignores the ones that are not. Mr GM, your focus should be on the people offering comments and those with issues, so you can make your property better. Simply ignoring them makes it seem that you do not understand that in fact there are areas for improvement, and that you do not want to recognize anyone with a negative comment.
Specifically, I and others would look forward to your direct and honest response to,
A) The lack (complete absence) of hot water in all buildings in the morning.
B) The issue of bringing in people from Dreams etc for 2/3 day junkets at no cost to them, while your real guests pay top dollar.
C) The reduced "quiet" factor caused by large groups and families with kids. Is this going to be a permanent situation?

I really look forward to your response to the 3 questions above. Thanks

6 Thank Brad C
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Mr Brad

Thanks for contacting us to leave your impression about The Zoetry Agua. On the behalf on the entire Team, I am truly sorry, to read you were not impressed with our Service and product. We totally respect your point of view, and it is a shame we could not match your expectation during your stay with us. Every day, we analyze our areas of improvement through conversations we daily have with our guests to improve every day our service and product.

I am surprised you mentioned that we do not answer the bad reviews, as we take pride to offer on every comment a published answer. Our guests need to know also our point of view and during the month were you stayed with us, we had 26 comments on trip advisor and all of them were answered in a short time period.

Regarding the complains you mentioned on your comment, please find below our answers:

1- You mentioned you had "no hot water" during the morning hours, believe me this is not common at all, I would need more information about your room location to investigate exactly what may occur but we do have an excellent hot water system that we actually change in December while we opened our new 45 Rooms. (Could you please provide your information at Lgomez@zoetryresorts.com so we can check on our records in order to provide you an exact answer)
2- As you mentioned, AM Resorts runs different Brands within our Company, Zoetry, Secret, Dreams, Breathless, Now and Sunscape are part of our Company. And as a sister Company we did have to offer them during that time, few rooms to accommodate some Guests. This is not a common practice but the demand this winter was very high in our Resorts and it happened during the period you had travelled. We are sorry if you felt uncomfortable and we will take note in the future to avoid those situations.
3- As you sincerely observed, Zoetry is marked as a "Relax and Quiet" Resort and every day, our Team work toward this direction to keep it that way. Unfortunately we are also an Open Resort and we do not mark our Product as "Adult Only". Any Family who decide to travel with their kids to enjoy our Resort are also more than welcome. The privacy of our Resort is usually well maintained, I am sorry if you could not relax as you expected during your holidays, We will look into that point and maybe locate our guests with family in a private area to avoid those inconveniences. I honestly guarantee you that we do not receive a lot of family and I guess the beginning of February was a Holidays season in Europe, reason why we received on that special week some families.

Thank you again for your comment, there are very helpful for us to keep improving our Service and maintain our guests satisfaction on the highest point. We appreciate your time to express them, we will keep working on those three points.

Sincerely

Providence, RI
Reviewed March 9, 2014

After the grueling, relentless winter we experienced in the Northeast this year, a week in Punta Cana was just what the doctor ordered. The hotel is located a quick 35 minute shuttle ride from the airport. We arrived in the late afternoon to the staff telling us "welcome home" and they spent the week making us feel very much at home.

The Grounds - the resort isn't huge, even after expanding from 51 suites to 100. No matter where your room is located, you're not far from the beach, pool, restaurants or other hotel amenities. The atmosphere reminded us of Hawaii with lots of palm trees and thatched roofed buildings. The beach is gorgeous. The water in front of the resort is clear and fairly calm for swimming. The loungers on the beach were sooooo comfortable (better than any other I have seen at an all-inclusive). I also appreciated the fact that people did NOT go out at the crack of dawn to save their chairs. Even later in the morning, there were always plenty available. The week we were there (mid-February), the humpback whales put on quite a show for us. They were frolicking about. It was very exciting!

Room - We stayed in the new section on the 2nd floor in an oceanfront room. We loved the convenience of being close to the beach, but what we loved the most was how the bed was set up to look out over the ocean. It was awesome. Sitting in bed watching the ocean and hearing the waves crash was so relaxing. Overall we thought the room was well designed. The bathroom was a tad bit dark and the shower was in an awkward spot, but the view more than made up for those things.

Food - The food was generally excellent. There were a couple of things here or there that we didn't enjoy or couldn't eat, but most things were good. The seafood always tasted fresh and we enjoyed its simple preparation. We particularly liked the ceviches, grilled lobster, shrimp dishes, pica pollo (Dominican fried chicken), flan and chocolate cake. The new chef, Sergio Calderon Latasa, is fabulous.

Staff - With all of the recent reviews about poor service here on Trip Advisor, I was very nervous! Yet, not only did I not find the bad reviews to be accurate, I found the service to be outstanding. We encountered no issues with language. None. We met a few workers who did not speak the greatest English, but they were in housekeeping or filling water glasses. Everyone else spoke really well. Our concierge, Richard, was numero uno. He was always around to see how we were doing and take care of any problems or concerns we had. The staff at Piragua took such good care of us, we tended to eat all of our breakfasts and lunches there. Giordany was a great waitress. She helped us sample local foods and even arranged for the whole staff of the restaurant to toast us on our last day. Miguel, the sommelier, was always around making sure we had what we needed - whether it was a bottle of wine, an icy bucket of Presidentes or a cocktail from the bar. Others who served us in restaurants and provided excellent service include Nathanael, Pedro, Wanda, Juana, Merina and Jose. Before my trip, Yarenis was very helpful with all of my questions!!

Drinks - The drinks were a disappointment. They did have plenty of top shelf liquor (Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire . . . ) and fresh mixers, but over the cocktails weren't well made. The drinks were better from the Indigo Bar than from the swimup bar. We found most of the frozen drinks to be too sweet. The included wines weren't good, but we did enjoy the sparkling wine (especially in mimosas!). The wine list was pretty extensive and I didn't think the prices were outrageous. There seemed to be a variety of beers (Corona, Heineken . . .) offered but we stuck to Presidente and it was a great beer for a hot day on the beach!

Kids and Groups - I know this isn't typical, but the week I was there, there were a ton of kids. There were more people there with kids than without kids. I'm a teacher and I would really rather not see so many kids when I'm at a quiet resort, trying to relax. There was group of 41 sales people that came in later in the week. They were having a great time drinking and carrying on (and why shouldn't they have been?), but it didn't seem to fit with the resort's vibe. Also whoever gave the group whistles to wear around their necks, should have been thrown into the sea with the whales.

Bugs - Yes, there were quite a few bugs at Zoetry, but it is the tropics after all. The resort battled the bugs as best they could, but it was a losing battle. They do provide Deep Woods Off in the rooms and you should use it! Our 2nd floor room had a few gigantic spiders that snuck in through the thatched roof. It was creepy to see them, but they didn't bother us all that much.

Overall, it was a great trip. If there's a perfect resort somewhere, I haven't found it yet. Zoetry Agua is on the right track and, from what I saw while I was there, is just going to keep improving. The negatives we experienced were far outweighed by the amazing staff, beautiful beach and excellent food.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank sap115
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after you escaped from winter at our sunny paradise, I am thrilled to read that you really enjoyed each moment of your stay at our resort, all your assessments and suggestions are very valuable to us

Thank you again for your kind comments about our staff, I am convinced that they are the best part of staying with us, I will personally give your congrats to Richard, Nathanael, Pedro, Wanda, Juana, Merina, Jose and Yarenis. We work hard every day to make the stay of our guests unforgettable, making enphasis in the little details so you can go back home with a suitcase full of great memories.

Once again, thank you for your time and we certainly hope we get to welcome you back any other time, in the meantime we will keep on striving and marching firmly towards the perfection.

Namaste,
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We were there during construction and could not get hot water for showers and sometimes the one restaurant would not open on time and the staff would be arguing with each other. From observations, we could tell that this resort is in the process of being brought back up to excellence. It was extremely restful and beautiful and Danny, manager of the seaside restaurant was great, as was Mercedes, the consignor. The food was good and we loved our seaside suite.

Room Tip: If you can, do the seaside suites, they are fantastic
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maya090

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing this relaxing Paradise for your vacation and for posting comments about your experience with us during your trip to Dominican Republic.

We apologize for the bad experience you had in November while we were constructing the new area of the Hotel, we have already finished the new area and let me tell you if you love the hotel when you came in November you will love it more now.

We added 51 more rooms, 1 restaurant (Piragua), an infinity pool with a wet bar and so many other things you will really enjoy. It will be a pleasure for us to have you back in Zoetry "Your home away from home" so you can enjoy totally of this paradise. If you need more information don't hesitate in contact us.

It is more than a pleasure to know despite what , you enjoyed your stay here, and we look forward to welcome back in the near future.

Namaste.
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is a resort that places the utmost effort on service. I had expectations due to many other Caribbbean vacations. Zoetry Agua Punta Cana far exceeded any other resort. Beautiful, lush landscaping abounds. We enjoyed a very clean beach for strolling, sunning, and swimming. The food was good, the waitstaff were very proper and gracious. Our room was kept up immaculately and fresh linens supplied constantly. If you need to catch up on sleep, no problem...black out curtains were very effective. The garden view with balcony (supplied with table, chairs, and a sofa) was a great place to wind down. The beach BBQ was not to be missed and the bartenders aimed to please.

2 Thank tknee2014
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Taiguey: Good Day -Good Sun,

Dear Guest,

First than anything thank you for taking your time to write this review, at Zoetry we take pride in ensuring the customers satisfaction and it really pleased us is that you really loved your stay here. Our guests are the reason why we work so hard and find ways to make the experience at our hotel a unique one.

We are looking forward to welcoming you to our peaceful paradise!

Namasté.

New York
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

This was the best resort I have ever been to. After a horrible cold winter in NY Zoetry was perfect. The staff couldn't do enough to make the guests happy and comfortable. Their slogan was "It's A Pleasure." Food was delicious, hot and always served with a smile. the resort was so quiet and peaceful I felt like I was the only person in Paradise. I can't wait to go back again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for choosing this Hidden Paradise in Punta Cana for your well deserve vacation and also for taking your time and write this sweet post.

I am very glad knowing that your stay here was relaxing, and you enjoyed everything here.

We look forward to welcome you back very soon at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana!

Marbella
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Zoetry is an absolute paradise..from the moment you arrive you feel the genuine welcome which continues day after day. Peace Beauty and Tranquility would be the three words I would use to describe this luxury boutique resort....an oasis of calm...where the outside world ceases to exist.
We chose an ocean front suite with private pool...a great choice, as the beach is on the doorstep and you also have the benefit of a private garden. However due to the small number of guests...privacy is never an issue. The beach is beautiful, pristine white sand leading to the turquoise sea. Our daily morning walk was to the left...often seeing no one for an hour or more..the rest of the day was spent sun-bathing,with lunch outdoors at the daily beach BBQ....Lobster Paella was especially delicious...plus a selection of grilled meat ,fish ,chicken and salads. There is excellent waitress service all day at the beach, with unlimited drinks...though we tended to only have a glass of wine/champagne with lunch...The sun is very strong!
In the afternoon there is horse riding available,which we did 3 or 4 times ,then had a private 2 hour ride in the early morning...again great fun if you enjoy horses.
The spa is excellent..great massages and plenty of treatments.
The main activity in the evening is the Lobby Bar for cocktails....again never crowded...followed by dinner in one of the restaurants. Food is good ...NOT top class (I would say typical of the Caribbean)...you can't go wrong with fish, lobster, or steak in Amaya, Piraqua serves Dominican food again good . Indigo on the beach...great for breakfast..and also had a good ceviche with capers and gazpacho there .Olena was our least favourite restaurant...rack of lamb ordered pink was overcooked..and when returned was equally overcooked..pasta and rissotto were nothing special.
This would be our ONLY small complaint.
The staff are amazing...the friendliest people imagineable...housekeeping first class...rooms always immaculate & 24 hour laundry usually returned back the same day.
We left our 10 night stay by private helicopter transfer...a worthwhile treat as the views of the island are wonderful.
Zoetry Thank You for a fabulous holiday...we will definitely return.

2 Thank DeliciousMarbella

Taiguey Guest

Greetings from Zoetry Agua, we are so happy to see that you enjoyed our resort with all of it's unique settings. But most of all we are thrilled that our staff had this effect on you because they truly are our main attribute.

I apologize for the little inconvenience you experienced and the Olena staff is already working on it so they can avoid it to happen again.

Thank you again for coming to your "Home away from Home".

We hope to have you back and we will be sharing your comments with all of them.