“I really wanted to give it a higher rating...”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I really wanted to give it a higher rating...”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Here's the deal, my husband and I waited 2 1/2 years to take our honeymoon. After much research, and a minor addiction to Trip Advisor, we decided to put our hard earned pennies into a trip to Zoetry for a week in December of 2012. I must confess, I am fortunate enough to call myself a well-traveled woman. I have been all over the world. This however was my first trip to DR.
Let's start with the bad : My husband and I arrived late at night. After an exhausting day of travel and a terrifying ride from the airport to Zoetry, we were relieved to check in and have room service for a late dinner. Check-in was great, the grounds were beautiful (even at night), the staff was friendly and polite. Getting up to our room was no easy task. While the stairs and walkways are beautiful, they are not well lit and you can easily trip and fall because they are nailed together with unique, non-uniform wood. ( Not your typical treated, even, lumber) It's a pro and con. - Gorgeous, however not the most functional.
The upper level rooms are gorgeous, however, the roofs are made of thatched cana. Again, beautiful and unique, however, anything and everything can get in at any time. This also makes it difficult to keep your room at a temperature that is consistent. (You have no control of the temp in your room, the system is the same throughout the resort).
I understand that there are bugs, and lizzards. - It's a tropical climate, right? And I understand that cockroaches are common in tropical climates. HOWEVER, we had a full-on infestation in our room. I'm not talking one or two. We're talking like, 50 +!!! As soon as we walked into our room with one of the staff members, roaches were dropping from the ceiling to the floor! They were crawling along the canopy of our bed, they were scurrying across the floor at our feet. Even the staff member appeared to be embarassed. He apologized and promised that they would fumigate the room the following morning. We asked to have an immediate room change, and he said they were to capacity. This was irritating. We slept with one eye open all night with the lights on. Not exactly relaxing.
The next day they fumigated our room. We couldn't go in our room because it was so toxic. I was frustrated as well because the beds were already made up and they didn't think to change the sheets and towels. Maybe I'm being picky, but I don't care to sleep in sheets laiden with toxic chemicals. I decided not to get upset, I just asked for them to come and change the sheets and get us towels, and to clean up the dead roaches on the floor. I figured it would all be worth it because it would kill the roaches. WRONG!! Roaches agian. Still alive, everywhere! So that night when we walked down to have dinner, I asked to speak to a manager. I leveled with him and told him that this was unacceptable, and that we needed a room change. He was very kind, and told us that he would take care of it while we had dinner, and that our stuff would be moved to a new room. - This was done in a timely fashion, and we were appreciative. Unfortunately the new room was not much better. Not as many roaches, but still quite a few on a daily basis. My husband and I decided just to accept it. In hindsight, I perhaps should have insisited on an upgrade. Unfortunately, when were using the spa, we encountered another couple who were staying in a suite who had rats in their room. The rats chewed through their clothes, their toothbrushes, etc. They never actually saw the rats, however found evidence from their excrement and the chewing of their belongings. At that point, my husband and I were just happy to not have rats. - Had we had rats in our room, we would have gone home early and I would have demanded a FULL refund. This is not what you expect from a "5 STAR" resort.
I did also see a rat run across the curtain of Amaya restaurant the last night we were there. Eww.

Even in spite of all of this, we had a good experience. The food was good, the staff was spectacular! Andreas, Diego, Francisco, Frances, Juan Gabriel!! - They are the best! I noticed that Diet Coke in DR still has syrup/sugar in it. I was asking Diego if they had any coke zero. - They don't. Diego is so sweet though! He is a student, and one day after class on his way to work, he picked me up a pack of coke zero. I didn't ask for this! He just did it to be thoughtful and kind! SO SWEET! - DURING HIS TIME OFF! This blew me away! Needless to say we treated him right, and gave him a huge tip! Frances is hilarious, and very charming! Juan Gabriel provided excellent service, was very professional and very sweet! I feel like we tipped everyone well. I think they would have treated us well even without a tip.
There is not one staff member who is not working their hardest. Truly. They work so hard for so little.

Pros : Good food, good service, pretty beach, relaxing aeshtetic, quiet and intimate atmosphere. I thought the pool was great too.
Cons : Roaches and rats in some rooms, tricky walkways, poorly lit rooms, broken chair in room ( discovered when sat upon), thermostat doesn't work/ inconsistent muggy room because A/C can't keep up, ipod dock and clock didn't work ( least of worries), fumigation ( could be pro or con), noisy roof ( tarp?), power outages ( I think that is common in Dominican Republic ), water temperature in shower was inconsistent (freezing or boiling), the horses were ALL LAME, SICK AND STARVING. - Every last one of them should have been put down.- For what people pay to be at a "5 STAR" resort, they should upgrade the structure of the rooms and take better care of the horses. Even if the horses are not part of the hotel, they need to insist that whomever they use for horseback riding takes better care of their animals. Not only is it cruel, but someone could easily get hurt riding a starving, injured horse.

Advice for Zoetry : I think Zoetry needs to tear down the old rooms, keep the cana thatched roofs for AESTHIC ONLY! Have a strongly structured,SEALED room, and then have the palm/cana sit on top of an acutal roof with shingles - rooms should be insulated and have their own central A/C. Spend the money and make the quality of the rooms better before expanding. People will flock to you and be willing to pay more for that kind of quality.
This place has the potential to be brilliant.
I don't see us returning, however I hope you invest in your resort and make it the gem that it could be.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Caroline M
AlainBERTHELOT, Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Taigüey / Greetings dear guests !

We thank you for your comments - Pros & Cons - and hereby apologize too for the inconveniences you were subject to.

5 months after your stay, all of us here - including the Team-members you kindly mention - are glad to see how much progress we have made in enhancing our resort; therefore, we expectantly hope you give us a chance to see them first-hand when you decide to visit our wondrous Paradise, in the near future perhaps...

We have thus tackled all the issues you state; knowing full well that the tropical pests you pointed out corresponded to an isolated episode, duly taken care of then, thanks to our daily and thorough fumigation_pest control program.

Concerning the economic reality of the island, kindly be advised that we law-abidingly treat our co-workers well, pay them fairly vis-à-vis our competitors - incl. fringe benefits - and are actually proud to be aware of the appreciation we are shown, accordingly.

Should you need any additional information, please contact us on Concierge.ZOAPC@ZoetryResorts.com .

In the meantime, we thank you again for your review/advice and look forward to hearing from you soon !

Best regards,

Namasté,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, well managed and staffed by dedicated individuals who seem to delight in making your stay as enjoyable as possible. The timber and thatch buildings have a rustic charm but still feel luxurious. It is small enough to feel exclusive but big enough to have plenty on offer. In fact we left wondering if we had really made the most of the facilities but this place is really all about relaxation.
The location is spectacular. Miles of golden sandy beaches lined with coconut palms. The mature gardens are beautifully maintained and the pools feel clean and fresh. I love snorkelling and my only disappointment was the rather poor underwater visibility and limited sea life near the hotel but Carlos, the water sports guy,sorted this out for me with a good value excursion to the south east of the Island where the snorkelling was excellent.
We have stayed in some all inclusive hotels where we thought the food was good but Zoetry takes the all-in' experience to a new level. This is fine dining (every day!!!) and the included wine was good too for a change. Relatively small things, like the free laundry service and international phone calls, made quite a difference.
What really set Zoetry apart from other places we have stayed were the quality staff. Without exception all of the staff were happy and friendly and made meal times an occasion to really look forward to. We won't forget the smiling faces of Giordany, Dionicio, Fernando and Rosalia at breakfast and Hector and Gabriel at lunch time. Even afternoon tea at the little café was fun because Juan H was such a nice guy to chat too.
Finally, the incredibly versatile Ansy makes everyone feel at home. Whether it's merengue lessons, cycling, horse riding or pool he was there (I wonder if he ever sleeps?).
During our second week the hotel was full (but you wouldn't know it) in fact we were asked if we would like to move to another Hotel but, having experienced Zoetry's charms, we were going no where else...it was, quite simply, paradise.

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms are good but the first floor rooms have impressive high, beamed ceilin...
1 Thank PhiNicky14
Taigüey / Greetings dear guests:

Thanks very much for your panoramic review !

Ansy - who is actually off today :) -, as well as the rest of our Team-members you kindly mention, really appreciate your citation of their outstanding service they provided you with; while we all look forward to welcoming you soon once more to our wondrous Paradise !

We remain...Best regards,

new york
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Zoetry. This is a smaller all inclusive with a focus on health that has a spa like atmosphere. The food is excellent for an all inclusive and had several vegetarian and vegan options. I also appreciated how quiet and relaxed the atmosphere is. This is a place to go if you want to read and relax by the pool or beach without djs or dance parties. Excellent for babymoon/honeymoon or just some real r and r. Great included activities such as horseback riding.

1 Thank emma b

Dear Guests:

Many thanks for your kind review !

We are grateful of the insight you give on our Endless Privileges gateway, as we strive to improve our product/services.

Meanwhile, we remain....Thank you again, best regards & we look forward to welcoming you once more to our wondrous Paradise, in the near future !

Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had started planning this trip last July and were eagerly awaiting our stay. We booked Zoetry because of its intimate tropical setting. This place is spectacular. The grounds are well manicured and gorgeous, the beach is breathtaking with the coconut palms lining the edge. We were amazed at how long you could walk on this beach(we took a 7 mile power walk with Frances and we loved it).

The resort is like an upscale Robinson Crusoe experience. The thatched roofs lend to the castaway feel. We never tired of the view from the infinity pool as we sat soaking up the sun.

We loved everything about this place: the setting, the food, the amenities, but I must say, the staff made the resort. Everything was, "My pleasure" and you could ask for anything and they would accommadate you. Our favorite employees were: Francisco at Indigo Bar(he called us by name and always made us feel special and made up great drinks for us); Frances, our beach walk/tour guide was so personable and fun; Warton and the manager of the Amaya restaurant; Juan Gabriel from Olena restaurant and the ladies at the beach who were always checking on us to see if we needed anything to drink. Everyone we met were amazing, sorry I can't name them all. The service though couldn't have been better.

We really have no complaints. The resort is expanding and there are various maintenance issues they are addressing, but we definitely want to return.

If you're looking for a special, intimate, tropical paradise with excellent food, amazing personal service, and a gorgeous beach this place is for you. We were blessed with the opportunity to come here and we hope to return.

Room Tip: Choose the second floor suites for the tropical thatched roofs and the views from the balcony. We s...
2 Thank barbados88
Taigüey / Greetings dear Guests & so many thanks for your review !

We are very grateful for your comments and hope that when you come back, you can break your Power-walk record.

All our team-members - especially the ones you kindly mention - look forward to welcoming you once more soon... Meanwhile, we remain....Thank you again, best regards & till next time !

Surrey
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just returned from staying at the Zoetry for two weeks and had a wonderful time! We desperately needed relaxation, sun and peace & quiet and this is what we got. If you are looking for tranquility, good food and great service, this is the place to stay. This hotel is not really for children.

We arrived by helicopter after being shown wonderful views of the beach and the hotel. We landed on the beach, greeted by staff and given a glass of champagne.

Our suite was beautiful and facing the sea so wonderful views. It was spacious with plenty of room for clothes and the maids cleaned them well, visiting three times a day to change towels, replenish bar and toiletries and turn down service was great! Though this sounds excessive it was not intrusive.

The grounds are immaculate and though there is no evening entertainment it was lovely to eat, sit at the bar, talk to others & make friends and be entertained by the staff, especially the three piece band who sang requested songs!

The staff were always smiling, friendly and it was clear they loved seeing to our every need. Though it is not possible to name everyone a special thanks to Jaoquin and Eddy at the Canoa Bar and Yahairah on the beach. Fernando, Hector and Joseito for great service in the restaurants. Both Hector & Joseito organised special meals as a lovely surprise! Special love to Gabriel - a very amusing and happy man (lubbly jubbly Gabriel!!!). Special thanks to Francis, entertainment coordinator who has a great personality.

The beach is lovely, clean and walks every day were glorious! There is an air of serenity and always somewhere to sit - in fact often we were the only ones there!! There was no loud music playing or being harassed by staff wanting you to join in games and activities! As we needed a rest we didn't do anything like horse riding or sporting activities and we didn't use the spa though others told us it was a great experience. Probably use these facilities next time!

We had such a wonderful time and intend to go back again in the near future!
Once again thank you to everyone at the Zoetry for making our holiday truly memorable. To quote the staff there - Over The Top!!!

1 Thank OnTheThames
Taigüey / Greetings Dear Guests !

We appreciate your kind feedback - especially for your Over-the-top mentions of our Team-members that made your stay more enjoyable!

As we expectantly hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future - and perhaps try out more activities, of course - we thank you and send you our regards !

Namaste,
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I decided on Zoetry on the advice of my travel agent. All I can say is WOW! It's an AI resort, but it never felt cheap. Although the menus are fairly limited we dined on something different every night. The ingredients were fresh and the liquor was not watered down. Their menus were very healthy and each dish listed the total calories and protein/carb/fat content. One of our favorites at lunch was their ceviche. Although I'm not much of a tropical drink kind of guy (I like my Scotch), I do recommend their "Tropical Zoetry" drink. Also try their local drink called Mamajuana at least once ...they call it Dominican Viagra...LOL :-) Our room was large and very comfortable. We were in room 1.....the room closest to the lobby bar, shops and spa, but furthest from the beach. Our room had immediate access to the pool too....which was fairly private. The beach in front of Zoetry is beautiful with a reef, which was fun to snorkel but I've seen better. It was nice for a novice. The staff was extremely friendly and when asked how they were doing the answer was always "over the top". Although you don't have to leave the resort for anything, we did a couple of excursions. One of the best was taking a bicycle ride with the entertainment coordinator, Francis. He took us to a local "tourist trap" and after a few beers and a couple of excellent Dominican cigars we got some good souvenirs at reasonable prices. They are currently in the middle of a 50 room expansion. Overall a muy bueno experience!

Room Tip: We simply asked for a room upgrade and was given one without an up charge.
1 Thank Paul C
Dear Guests:

Taigüey / Greetings !

We thank you for your kind feedback - especially for mentioning Francis.

We are glad that you were able to experience new things...

While we look forward to soon welcoming you once more to our wondrous Paradise, we wish you all the best and remain at your service !
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at Zoetry for one week, and during that week, we were pampered and treated like royalty, there was not one thing I could complain about. The grounds were immaculent, the staff, were like family, and the food..out of this world! We are already planning our trip for next year! A special thanks to Jaquin, Olgalina,(the 2 best bartenders ever!) Fredrico, Fernando, Juan, Eddie, Gabriell.... what a great bunch of people!

• Stayed April 2013
Taigüey / Greetings !

We are obliged - especially for your kindness in having mentioned our Team-members that stood out for you during your stay; we look forward to welcoming you once more to our wondrous Paradise, in the near future !

Thanks again, best regards & till soon!

Namaste,