“Zoetry Agua-MM”

Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Zoetry Agua-MM”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Although this property is rated very highly (by Trip Advisor, Expedia and Fodor's), my wife and I were, frankly quite disappointed. It wasn't so much that it was a bad property, but our expectation level was so high after reading the various recommendations that we were disappointed. Our room (for which we paid an upgrade - to a "Romance Suite"), was continually filled with mosquitoes - possibly because the doors and windows weren't sealed properly. The lighting in the bathroom was so bad that you couldn't see yourself shaving (or in my wife's case, putting on make-up). The shower was graded such that the water slanted away from the drain, so we constantly were standing in dirty water. The coffee in the morning was always Luke-warm, and never hot - possibly because it wasn't put into a thermos, but only into a metal tin. Like I said, it wasn't a terrible experience, but this is certainly not a 5 star property (as has been advertised). It is a three star property - at best.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a "Romance Suite" (our suite was number 16). It is immediately be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AlainBERTHELOT, Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for your message / we apologize for the issues you encountered.

Although we fumigate daily & thoroughly, mosquitoes are extremely common in the Tropics and thus a few can be seen at any point in time...Still, we are working already on improving barriers to isolate our rooms better from these insects, etc.

We also have a plan in place to better the illumination in our rooms, as well as the drainage in Suite # 16 indeed (sorry).

We expectantly should get Thermos pots ASAP; we appreciate your feedback in this sense too.

Should you need any additional information, please contact us at your convenience at Concierge.ZOAPC@ZoetryResorts.com .

In the meantime, we thank you again and hope you kindly give us a chance to soon welcome you once more to our wondrous Paradise, in order to show you our improvements, etc. !

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana January 4th-12th for our belated honeymoon and had a fantastic time. Leading up to our trip, I was a bit concerned given the bipolar nature of recent reviews. People seem to either really love or really hate this place! For the most part we loved it. However, I think it's important to note that we felt that Zoetry is a 5-star all-inclusive, not a 5-star hotel (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.). If you want a 5-star hotel experience I would look elsewhere. If you are looking for an upgrade from typical mega resort all-inclusives I think you will be very happy with Zoetry. I would also recommend shopping around for the best price with a travel agent and/or travel websites, especially if your dates are flexible. We ended up paying less than $500/night for a "Romantic Swim-Out Junior Suite", which we felt was a fair price given the time of year. We probably would not have been as satisfied with our experience if we had paid $1000/night like some other reviewers.

I don't want to go into too much detail about our experience, as I feel it mirrors many other reviews, but I will say that our favorite thing about Zoetry was that it was truly quiet and relaxing. We often were the only people on the beach, in the pool, or at the spa. Nothing ever felt crowded or rushed. Zoetry is different from other all-inclusives in that almost anything you can think of really is included--daily laundry service, a bottle of champagne per day, room service, high end toiletries, 20 minute massages, snacks and drinks in the mini bar, international calling, great food, decent by the glass wine, top shelf booze, etc. On day 5 of our honeymoon, we were remarking to ourselves that we couldn't believe that we hadn't spent any money other than tips. And we were happy to tip because we felt the service was so good and genuine, despite the occasional miscommunication.

As far as cons go, I concur with other reviewers that Zoetry is not kid friendly at all. There were 4-5 young children there when we were. Most seemed well behaved, but we definitely witnessed tantrums, which seemed reasonable given that there is absolutely nothing for kids to do at Zoetry. I would recommend leaving kids at home or choosing a more kid friendly resort. Other than that, we had some minor maintenance issues in our room--a sink that clogged easily despite having someone come out to fix it and water leaking in our bathroom from the room above which was fixed quickly. In general, the resort seems to have fallen behind on keeping up the wooden walkways and thatched roofs. We saw a lot of tarps and closed walkways, though they seemed to be working on things towards the end of our stay.

If we return to the Domincan Republic, we would probably choose to stay elsewhere for variety. But I would not hesitate to recommend Zoetry to others looking for an excellent all-inclusive experience. This really was the best vacation that we've been on in a long time. We would definitely consider staying at a different Zoetry property on a future vacation.

3 Thank Maeve C
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments, and for having chose our Luxuary resort for your recent stay.

We apologize for the issues you found, and looking forward to have the opportunity to welcoming you back, and show you our improves.

Best Regards!
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We arrived at Zoetry after spending time with family at Majestic Colonial. This was a great way to spend the last days of our vacation relaxing. The restruants are all very good. Best steak we have had, even compared to home(Nebraska). The service was wonderful and everyone very pleasant. Everything was "My pleasure" and very sincere. If you are looking to just relax this is a great place to stay.

1 Thank littl1
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for share your experience at Zoetry, and for such positive review.

Zoetry Family feel very fortunate to have had you in our property.

We look forward to welcome you back, very soon!

Warm Regards!
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have just returned from our stay at Zoetry Agua. We lived there for 2 weeks in the end of December-beginning of January 2013, so have seen the resort at every detail. We travel as a young family with a little baby, and we have experienced quite a few good hotels round the world to compare.

Upon our arrival, the room offered wasn't the type we ordered and there was nothing for the baby. They brought a crib, but it was very dirty, stinky and bitten all over, so we asked to remove it at all. The shower sewage was blocked and the water was flowing into the room, there was very little light inside the room.

According to our agency, we had booked a sea view suite, but the hotel told us we can get only a garden view suite as it is the only available they had. Also, even though we had paid in advance for our stay through our agency (at a rate over $1000 usd per night), the hotel insisted that we need to pay again since they did not see the payment in the system.

The next day, we got to be moved to another room, which was better and had a new baby crib, but still with a garden view (which is strange as other customers had a free upgrade to an ocean suite). Regarding the payment, they suddenly told they made a mistake by 'looking at someone else's account' without any attempt to apologize.

The new room was spacious, still not much light, overall ok. BUT: found a frog in the bathroom on 1st day and several days after and crouches everywhere. Room cleaning was fine with some of the maids being especially attentive. Mosquitos can be avoided inside the room if you keep your doors and windows closed once it becomes dark. Also: use an anti-mosquito spray if you want to walk in evenings or to stay at a bar.

To be fair, the lawn and the trees look good and are well looked after. The downsides of the grounds are staircases and the pool. Wooden staircases are dangerous, especially for someone overweight or elders. The personnel checks them by jumping on each stair to see if it's ok. Some of the stairs have a sign 'under repair' without any evidence of work for 2 weeks. The pools are worn-out and require some painting at least.

The staff's training and attitude is inconsistent with some of them being blatantly greedy for tips. Eventually, we ended up paying tips not as they were deserved, but just to avoid rude behaviour or waiting for our meal for an hour. For instance, breakfast was a consistent agony of getting hot water and a milk oatmeal for our baby as he was crying being hungry! Having asked for a yoghurt after a 30 min waiting, I have received a yoghurt with a can opened and half-eaten... Eventually, you need to find a particular waitor and just give him tips to service you and find his ways to make it smoother. Juan Pina was the only attentive waitor actually deserving the tips.

The food itself is good taking into account it's an all-inclusive resort. Even though they have the same ingredients, the management attempts to put up theme dinners every now and then.

The beach looks good, but the area with sun-beds is not clean with remainders of food and cigarettes in the sand. The sea entrance is good and naturally clean without any seagrass.

On other minor points, reception asks for a prepayment for all extra services, which are not supplied by the hotel. As I wanted to give flowers for my wife, the receptionist found me in the hotel (when I was with my family) to ask me to come to the reception and pay for the flowers immediately. Any 5-star hotel would just put it on you bill without any hassle...

On a more positive note, they have found some of our things, which we forgot on the beach and have returned it.

Overall, it is an ok hotel, but it fails to stand out for the money it asks. I would say it's worth going there for a 1/2 of its price. Be sure to check its prices on multiple websites as they can vary a lot.

Room Tip: Don't be confused by the word 'suite' - it is just a spacious room. Apart from 'Ocea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Pikabu_2011
Dear guest:

Thank you for your message and for your pretty long stay at our wondrous Paradise - we really appreciate your positive feedback in terms of our Housekeeping, Grounds, Food, Juan PIÑERO's service and Honest Team-members -.

While we apologize for the issues you were subject to - albeit sincerely, some seem very surprising to us...-, please find our respective comments, as follows:

- Perhaps a good idea is to write a separate review for your agency, as we did put you in the room you paid for, regardless of how we manage our up-grades per the many different situations we encounter , etc.; also, we are quite happy to cater mostly for adults and thus logically lack nursery products/services...The advance payment matter also pertains to them, and now to our first surprise: if anything, we should have apologised to you in a firmer manner and have already tackled this issue, accordingly / sorry... ;

- Frogs exits in the tropics, as elsewhere (in France, for example);

- We acknowledge that lighting in our rooms can certainly be bettered and a respective plan is already in place, as to enhance our accomodations in consequence;

- We constantly are upkeeping all of our infrastructure, including our unique wooden walkway and our pool; still, we always take such feedback as a favor;

- Always firts times in life: never had heard of greedy staff here looking for tips, buy we of course are sorry and have taken the necessary measures already...neither had we previously heard of us serving open yogurts to anybody, yet in this case, we also have tackled this matter in consequence;

- We trust that our food variety is quite impressive for a 51-Suite hotel - i.e. 3 a la carte restaurants; 3 weekly themes activities (including the Wine Tasting, where we exceptionally have kids, as/when required....), several daily specials at Lunch & dinner, cooking demonstrations, beach finger-food, etc.; however, we will immediately work on increasing our offer, reasonably...;

- We celan our beach everyday thoroughly, albeit logically the Ocean can wash down both natural and man-made debris, at any point in time;

- Looking for me for example, as to arrange for flowers, is something I would deem pertinent; we like explicit guests who communicate clearly their wishes on-site, as timely as possible, so that we can try to satisfy them, accordingly;

In the meantime, we thank you again and hope you soon give us a chance to kindly show you & your beautiful family, our improvements !

State of Sao Paulo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, and the room very well decorated, and the service was great and kind.
However, during the first night I woke up and noticed that there was a scorpion on my pillow! I was very worried because I'm very allergic and If I was bitten I couldn't take any medicine.
We asked for a fumigation because there wasn't just a scorpion, we saw many cockroaches inside the room too. The staff provided that immediately.
It was very disgusting and uncomfortable.
Therefore, we couldn't enjoy our stay as we expected as a luxury hotel experience, very well charged for that.
My advice is to be sure the hotel have repaired this problem and certainly you will enjoy all the other qualities such as a great service, very good food, beautiful ambiance and kind attendance.

7 Thank cintiafarhat
Dear guest:

We sincerely thank you for your feedback - especially, in terms of our great Staff, Food and atmosphere - & apologize for the issues you encountered.

Our feature natural thatched roofs - as our wondrous resort sits in the middle of lush vegetation -, logically entail that certain unharmful, tropical critters will sporadically visit briefly our respective human habitats; still, we definitely & respectfully understand your perspective...

We also have taken the necessary measures concenring our A/C and the leak; we are sorry about these matters.

As mentioned to other reviewers, we appreciate explicit guest requests of whatever kind, here on-site, as to avoid assuming anything...

We also have tackled already the Service topics you mentioned, as far as speed and accuracy are concerned.

In the meantime, we thank you again and hope you give us a chance to show you our improvements in the near future !

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I chose this place because of the reviews and I DID NOT DISAPPOINTED!!!! We arrived there around 2 PM and first thing they said was "Welcome Home" :) I wish this my home. The property is AMAZING... very well kept. Foods are AMAZING. I have been so many places and I'm very picky with my food but WOW Zoetry Aqua blew my mind away.

I was there with a group of friends (10 of us) for my birthday and it was the best trip of my life. Staff are supper nice (I wish they live closer so we can continue to hang out). Hola! G! Pinya (Pineapple), the pretty lady at the pool & the bartender (We miss you guys)!!! My friend for get the memory cards for her camera and they went out to get her one!!! Also, we wanted to see the Redskins game together, they sent they technician guy to our room to help us moved the TV to the partio so we all can watch the game together. THANK YOU!!!

Anyway .. there are some downsides ... first, the resort is pretty far from everything. We were planning to go to the Imagine Club but after thinking about 40 minutes drive on a dirt road in the dark we ended up cancel it and stay in at the resort. Second, there is no check out time so when we got there the room wasn't ready. I wish I take my swim suite out so at least I can go hang out at the pool while we were waiting for the room.

We don't have any problem with any bugs AT ALL. I put on Avon skin so soft bugs guard and I have zero bite. I husband had may be 3 bites because he didn't put anything spray on so i don't understand why people said they have to bath in OFF.

Summary:
1. Food is amazing!!!
2. Not all 3 restaurant Olena, Indigo and Amaya open at the same time (only 2 open each day).
3. Amaya serves breakfast (brunch on sunday) & dinner: Try lobster & lobster bisque ... Leche cake is also amazing.
4. Olena serve dinner only: Steak, Fish & Lobster Roll are really good (avoid sweet papaya and Thai soup, they are not so good). Men required long pants.
5. Indigo serves lunch and dinner: Pizza is ok, Fried Chicken is good, be nice to staff and the chef might make you yummy Paella :P, Red Snapper is amazing, and Passion fruit mouse is to die for.. ummmmm.
6. Book your 20 minutes free massage in advance same as horse back riding. They book up pretty fast.
7. Try champaign with passion fruit juice and reserve rum.
8. Internet doesn't work inside your room but it works on the partio.
9. Be carful when you get in the ocean they are lots of sharp rocks. It almost cut my foot.
10. Staff here are amazing please tip them :)
11. Airport is far and the security check in line is really long give yourself at least 3 hours when you leave.
12. Bring some Immodium my husband had a stomach bugs and same as other couple. It only last like a day we don't know that it was that cause the sickness.

Last Sip, Savor and See .. not worth it. Stay at the resort :)

I really hope you have an amazing time like we do. Contact me if you need more info :)

Room Tip: We stay in room 5 with access to the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Artzyzoey
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Terrific Guest,

Thank you so much for such positive comments, you are more than welcome to our wondrous Paradise!

We appreciate your comment about our professional Staff, we miss you too!
Thanks for this amazing explanation about guests facilities,property, and recommendations.
You and your Whole Group are more than welcome to our Hotel

Please contact us for future vacations: concierge.zoapc@zoetryresorts.com

Best Regards!
Franklin Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort from January 5 - 12th for our honeymoon. I have been researching this property high and low and felt compelled to write a review as soon as we returned. I'd like to highlight the great elements of this resort. The staff are amazing and very attentive. The service is exceptional. The food was very good as well, especially for an all inclusive resort. The grounds were well maintained and the beach/pool areas were lovely.

I'd like to mention that during the first four days of our honeymoon I was ill with a fever and flu - like symptoms. I felt awful. The staff at the front desk informed my husband and I of a doctor that was located about 15 minutes away at a sister resort. We were given all information regarding transport to and from, cost etc. I finally went to see this doctor and later felt much better. Zoetry even sent a staff member with us to the clinic to make us more comfortable! They went out of their way to call the next day to see how I was feeling and brought me a special tea (passion fruit and onion) which is a local remedy to cure the common cold and flu.

My husband and I inquired about off - resort trips such as zip lining and scuba diving. We never left the resort because there was already so much to do and we were content staying within the resort.

Ok, now for the negatives. When we arrived and as I was putting away my clothes, I noticed that they supplied each room with a bottle of OFF mosquito spray (we got less than 5 mosquito bites all together - I was nervous from reading previous reviews but the mosquitoes were not bad at all) and I also noted a bottle of RAID cockroach spray. I was taken back and immediately terrified that we would see a cockroach in our room. I placed a towel under each door in our room as the doors and the floors never met - there is a large gap in between. However, on our last night I forgot and we woke up in the middle of the night to 2 very large, and I mean large, roaches in our room. I was unable to fall back asleep. When we came home, we unpacked our clothes outside as we were nervous we may have brought home a critter. Now, it may have been my fault since I forgot to place a towel under the door, but for a resort with such high standards and high pride, I felt that this shouldn't have happened either way. For this reason, I would not return and probably would not recommend this resort.

Overall I had a nice time minus the cockroach incident. I am glad we saw the roaches on our last night as opposed to our first. We would've transferred to another resort.

9 Thank Alyson K
Dear guest:

Thank you for your feedback - especially, the positive citations in terms of our great Team-members, food offer, service and public spaces -.

While we apologize for the one and only, rather inoffensive and ordinary issue you encountered, please find our respective comments as follows :

- In the tropics, repellants are in fact particularly quite useful, as insecticides are too;

- Certain tropical critters have cousins that actually live in urban settings (and perhaps, in higher per capita numbers than here...).

We indeed are very proud of our high-end product/service and consequently find that your 66% review is accordingly a bit harsh, vis-a-vis your overall experience, as you yourself mention...

In the meantime, we thank you again and hope you give us a chance to welcome you once more to our wondrous resorts, in the near future !