“Be Very Careful - The bridges and stairwells are dangerous!”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Hamden, Connecticut
“Be Very Careful - The bridges and stairwells are dangerous!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently went to Zoetry Punta Cana and we were both injured when walking down the stairs. The stairwell plank cracked in half and I fell halfway through the stairwell. I injured my left leg and arm and was in pain the entire vacation. The worse part was that the Management did not even have a first aid kit on site and never demonstrated any genuine care or interest for our injuries, or the fact that we were in pain and were not able to enjoy our stay. I am currently disputing the charges with American Express.

Room Tip: Do not book a room on the second floor, the stairwells and bridges are old, warped and dangerous. A...
14 Thank Millie53_52
AlainBERTHELOT, Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear guest:

We apologize yet again for the isolated inconvenience you encountered and appreciate your feedback, as actually, we take all comments as a favor.

We nevertheless always value our sincere guests' comments much more - i.e. when their requests, etc. are initially stated explicitly on-site, as to give us a chance to try and meet them up-front and honestly; especially, as none of us here apparently possess telepathic powers...

We of course have several first aid kits. Furthermore, we are very surprised, saddened and disappointed in reading your statement that "Management" ignored your situation, as we all were always following-up on you (your boyfriend was not injured), and I even gave you a Cortizone tube form my personal effects, as well as treatments on the house (FYI, those have a financial component to them too....).

Our Wooden structure is constanlty being upkept; things happen everywhere, even in Puerto Rico...

Adios !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Medford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was our second trip to Zoetry. It is such a relaxing resort, you can’t help but return! We booked our return trip through Michael McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services. As always, he was professional and attentive, checking on us throughout our stay.

We had a nice garden view room across from one of the restaurants, Amaya. We had no issues with bugs in our room and the mosquitoes were actually better this time around. As mentioned by others, the resort is undergoing renovations. There are blue tarps and construction workers scattered throughout the resort which robbed it of some of its beauty and peacefulness. However, resorts need to update their property to keep it in tip-top (or should I say "over the top") condition. If you have the right perspective, you will be able to appreciate all this resort has to offer. The food and service were top-notch (special thanks to Andrys and Diego for stellar service)!!!!

BTW: Like the previous reviewer, we too suffered from GI issues. On our last night, we woke up with sharp stomach pains and several trips to the bathroom that lasted into the morning and still currently.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room! We prefer ground floor rooms. No wooden walkway to deal with.
3 Thank Vanntastic
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comment about our wondrous hotel, and for writing about our professional Staff, service and food.

Our doors will be open for all your visits to Paradise!
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I recently returned from Zoetry Punta Cana, and we had a wonderful and relaxing vacation. The grounds are beautifully manicured, lush, and picturesque. All staff are wonderfully polite and they work very hard to ensure guests are pleased and enjoying their stay. Two prominent personnel we encountered everyday were Carmen and Frances. They are the entertainment coordinators responsible for ensuring guests have opportunities to participate in some cultural-related fun and amusement. We spent time with Carmen taking Spanish lessons; learning about local Dominican culture; participating in yoga, stretching, and water aerobics; learning basic Dominican dance moves in the evening; and playing late afternoon games such as “Pass the Pigs” and “LCR.” Carmen is a delightful and helpful person. She is an intuitive leader demonstrating professional candor. I highly recommend guests make time to meet her and get to know her. Also, do not hesitate to ask the staff for assistance to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

The last few days of our stay I was able to enjoy the spa e.g., the steam room, sauna, and whirlpools were wonderful. However, these resources were not functional the first few days of our stay but the property manager, Monsieur Alain Berthelot, worked closely with engineers to restore the spa to its full operation. It is important to remember that logistic support such as “Home Depot” or “Loews” does not readily exist. Nevertheless, during that time I found other ways to relax and enjoy the resort while repairs were in progress. Of note, the gym is excellent for a resort and it far surpasses what I’ve seen, and used, in other national and international hotel chains. The equipment is a quality commercial brand (Cybex) and it is well maintained. A diverse workout is achievable, i.e., cardio, weights, and isometric.

One of the hallmarks of the resort is food. The quality, variety, presentation, and taste far surpassed my expectations for any all-inclusive resort. I really enjoyed the three restaurants’ menu options. There are no buffets and I found that very intriguing. Food is not wasted, portions are generously-controlled, and all meals and meal courses are supervised by master chefs that take exceptional pride in their tradecraft. If I had to choose one word to describe the dining experience it would be “delightful.” During our stay, the chefs and staff provided special dining opportunities. The first was a beach barbeque (chicken and burgers) and cooking demonstration - making seafood paella over an open fire. I avoided the barbeque and chose the paella. While the paella was cooking I was introduced to “Mama Juana,” which I call Dominican Republic’s version of German Glühwein. The following evening, the executive chef Señor Rafael Puello, prepared a five course “Author’s Cuisine Dinner.” Like an author conceptualizing and writing simile and metaphor, the chef “authored” succulent and pleasurable food. Each course served to more than 35 patrons was a work of flawless art and taste. A few days later, Señors Rafael Puello, Alejandro Torito, and Juan Regado prepared an amazing five course “Wine Pairing” dinner. During each food-course the resort manager Monsieur Alain Berthelot shared his global knowledge of wines and the wines being paired with the food. Most impressive was Monsieur Berthelot’s ability to address the group in French, Spanish, and English. It was a wonderful evening. Our final group dinner was a “Caribbean Dinner” on the beach; however, rain moved us inside. This meal was a huge, freshly prepared feast – lobster, shrimp, fish, a roasted pig, stewed goat, chicken, vegetables and salads, pastries, and fruits. It was “Wow”! I like to eat, I like to cook as well, and I have cooked for and served upwards of 25 guests in our home; therefore, I can appreciate the level of effort and the perfection espoused by the chefs.
Another nice little treat was the nightly music provided by the “Anibal Mercedes Band.” These musicians are talented and a joy to listen too during dinner and in the lobby for after dinner drinks. I wish the “CD” I bought after horseback riding was a sample of their music and not the other music provided. If they sold CD’s I would have bought one.

Another hardworking team that augments the culinary excellence at the resort is the alcohol, food, and beverage staff led by Señor Ambioris Zorrilla. While sunning on the beach, splashing in the pool, enjoying the spa, reading my book, or chatting with fellow guests, there was always a wonderful selection of healthy snacks and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. The spa has fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, and flavored waters. The coffee shop has fresh fruit and mini pastries prepared by Chef Juan Regado. The bars have a fine selection of wines, beers, and liquors. While at the beach bar, take a few moments to strike up a conversation with Francesco at the Indigo bar. He runs a clean and efficient bar, and he is a very creative mixologist. I left him with a tequila menu I gleaned from a U.S. restaurant and he is experimenting to perfect the chemistry. Nevertheless, if you don’t know what to drink just say to him “Francesco, surprise me”! And he will.

Another hidden gem not widely publicized is a well-educated holistic team – Kale and Antonia. Keep an open mind and get to know these to fine individuals. Yoga, feng shui, a discussion about Mayan predictions, native drum playing, and dance were some of the interesting activities that contributed to our daily relaxation-routine.

Since the resort is small, which I found very appealing, it was easy to meet other guests and engage in meaningful conversations. The age span varies from 20-somthings to retired and it is also an international mix. Some folks keep to themselves but most people are affable.

Much more can be said about this resort but I’ll close by saying if and when you visit be prepared for some discomfort from bugs. This is certainly not the resort’s fault. My wife and I suffered from “chiggers,” the nasty little critters living in grass and sand. Be sure to pack “nail polish remover and cotton balls.” If bitten you’ll itch like mad and it will leave a track of red dots. A couple of wipes with nail polish remover will kill the bugs and stop the itch. Mosquitoes are a nuisance, but the resort provided bug spray and they treat the perimeter every evening. So pack some Deet, ointments, and eat some garlic too!

One more comment about security. It is a very safe resort that is monitored by observant security personnel. Likewise, key staff carries radios. Of note, when we checked into the resort we were told to lock possessions in the safe otherwise the maid will not enter. This is a good policy which protects both guest and staff. In addition, staff and management have good ethical standards and conduct when it comes to guest relations and interactions – this is something one does not see at some of the more flamboyant resorts.

We look forward to a future visit.

Room Tip: Book a ground floor unit with a garden view halfway between the front area and the beach.
3 Thank Craig M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking part of your valuable time to write a review regarding your stay at Zoetry Agua

Thank for having mentioned our Staff, specially for such positive comments about Carmen and Francis-Entertainment , and Spa.

At same time, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the Spa Wet Area.

Looking forward to have you back with us!
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

We recently enjoyed a 7-night stay at Zoetry. We liked the overall ambiance and small number of rooms at the resort. Other reviewers have said that at times, it feels like your own resort...we agree with that! The staff really made the week for us. In particular, Ambioris, Francisco, Giordany, Hector, Fernando, Wharton, Juan Gabriel, Juaquin and Yefry went out of their way for us. No request was too small for them.

The food at Zoetry is really great. Many all-inclusive resorts have typical buffets and banquet-type menus. This is not the case at Zoetry. Indigo has great salads, gazpacho and brick oven pizzas for lunch. Amaya and Olena had a wide variety of appetizers and entrees for dinner. In addition to the three restaurants, we had a beach dinner and did the wine pairing dinner. Both were great. The beach BBQ had to be moved to Amaya due to weather...but it was still amazing.

The pool and beach are very nice and tranquil too. The beach has more than enough palapas and chairs. Beware of the noseeums, though! They are very prevalent in the sand. If you load up on bug repellent, you have a fighting chance. Same with the mosquitos at night throughout the resort. You are in the jungle! The resort does a great job of fumigating every afternoon...but we still had to put on repellent. In addition, we did find some bugs in our room. We asked for it to be fumigated. It did the trick.

We did see a bit of work being done at the resort. The staff is working hard to fix roofs, stairs, etc. They are also planning to expand the number of rooms. We heard that construction is due to start in 2013.

Our stay at Zoetry was "Over the Top"...or, as we said to the staff, "por encima de todo"!

Room Tip: Second-floor rooms have nice vaulted ceilings.
2 Thank OSUBuckeyesNJ

Greetings from Zoetry Agua Punta Cana,

Thank you for choosing our paradise for your vacation, and for posting your comments about our magnificent Staff, Food, Pool,Beach...

We will look forward to welcoming you back for the next year

Best Regards!
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I feel the need to preface this review by saying this is the first review I have written about anything. I usually don't complain and am very easy going. Zoetry was the third resort my now wife and I have stayed at in PC (Zoetry was our Honeymoon). The biggest problem we had was getting food poisoning which I'm still recovering from stateside. My wife was sick for a day and two nights where I only left the room a few times for food. A few days later I become ill with shooting pains in my stomach which caused me to vomit and take countless trips to the bathroom. This lasted the last day and a half of our stay. The second biggest problem were the roaches. I grew up in the boonies and have no problems with bugs. We killed at least four roaches every night including roaches in our bed and in our toiletry bags/luggage. It was not fun hearing my wife shriek every few hours scaring the crap out of me. The minimalistic ambiance of the thatched roof was compromised by the several bright blue tarps over our room which slapped against the roof loudly in wind and didn't keep the rain out. We had to put towels on the floor and move my belongings to the other side of the room so they wouldn't get soaked. I called the front desk about it and they said they were going to send someone out but no one came. Our rooms bathroom always smelled like sewage even before we had food poisoning. There were many times when employees would knock then immediately open the door and we'd have to yell to tell them to close it. Our chain lock was broken and we did not get a do not disturb sign until we requested one. Another interesting thing we noticed was the only children we saw the entire week were those of an employee who came and ate lunch at Indigo every day which came off as very unprofessional. These were all things we were willing to deal with until we got food poisoning which is why I'm writing this review. There were some positives. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and the free room service and laundry service was nice even though we got some random bra and panties back. The view of our Oceanfront room was awesome. Overall we would not go back and would not recommend this resort. We're confused about all the positive reviews on here which were the main reason why we chose this resort for our Honeymoon. Good luck if you've already booked!

Room Tip: Problems with our Oceanfront room but the view was great.
20 Thank Reis D
Dear guest:

Thank you for your message - especially concerning the view from your Suite -.

We apologize for the issues you encountered / please find our respective answers, as follows:

- We are sorry you had stomach problems...Precise sources for thes kind of illnesses are very hard to pinpoint (i.e. one certainly can carry diseases before getting to a different place, gestation periods vary, etc.)...Anyway, we of course are always on top of our hygienic best practices, especially regarding food manipulation, freshness of our ingredients, etc.

- Even though we fumigate daily & thoroughly, we acknowledge there logically are some bugs here (the tropical kind...);

- We indeed had tarps before we started our Thatched roof refurbishment program, which is now basically finished;

- We are sorry if you feel that employees went into your room without properly announcing themselves and we have accordingly taken already the necessary measures regarding this isolated situation; we also have adressed the maintenance matter with the door-lock, as well as the lack of DND sign...However, when well communicated most of our guests petitions are met effectively & effciently...;

- I am really sorry if you somehow felt offended by the "interesting" presence of my wonderful, visiting children at lunchtime !

- I also hope that your confusion in terms of the positive reviews we fortunately do receive for the most part by far, has now dissipated...

Should you need any additional information, please contact us at your convenience.

In the meantime, we thank you again and hope you have a better experience at the next hotel you book at...Good luck to you !

Best regards,
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I booked Zoetry for our honeymoon. We were looking for a relaxed environment with delicious food. Zoetry met our expectations. The staff at Zoetry truly made our experience! I could not say enough about the staff...just to name a few... Andrys, Fernando, David, Alejandra, Flo, and Miguel. The food was amazing! When we arrived we had a buffet for breakfast and lunch, and we were not impressed. When we went to the restaurant for dinner we were shocked at the food! The remainder of the week we ordered off the menus and were extremely pleased. The room was very spacious and clean. The only issue with the room was the large gaps around the doors. Due to the gaps, we had quite a few critters in our room. I know it's the tropics, but if your not used to the large insects it can catch you off guard. The pool was amazing! The beach was clean and beautiful. You have to try a coco loco at Indigo. The mesquitoes are really bad at night, make sure you bathe in OFF. The resort fumigates daily at 5:30, but the little suckers are persistent. I would also reccomend bringing Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream just incase you get bit. My husband and I had a relaxing beautiful week at Zoetry!

1 Thank Cay K
Paco A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for share this review, and for choosing us for your honeymoon,

We appreciate such positive comments about our magnificent Staff, beach, food, and whole service.

Looking forward welcoming you again in your second home, for your anniversary!

Best Regards!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Zoetry Agua lived up to my expectations as a quiet pampering vacation with excellent food and service. If you are looking for tons of activity noise and people, this is not the place for you. Zoetry is an upscale all-inclusive resort with excellent food, drink and plenty of people to wait on you. The resort is beautiful and fits well into it's natural surroundings, with the thatched roofs and all. The grounds are impeccably maintained, including the pools and beach areas.
There were times we felt like we were at our own private paradise! After a long day of travel and a one hour plus bumpy drive from the airport, we were please to find the excellent accomodations with a huge bed and room, large covered porch with table and comfortable seating, large soaking tub and separate rainshower, separate toilet area with bidet, double sink/vanity area, plenty of his & her closet space, and a well stocked refrigerator/bar. The only downfall was that our lights did not work in the bathroom. The staff responded almost immediately, but after trying to repair the wiring for some time, we had them come back in the morning to fix and asked for candles and bathed by candlelight (added to the romance)! Came in handy when there was a temporary power outage in the area a short time after (though we were ready for bed at that point anyhow).
The beach was awesome and the waves broke far out so didn't get beat up by them. You could walk for miles and never find a crowded area. There were constant winds on the beach that made it comfortable despite high humidity.
The only downfall I can say is that the water in the soaking tub just trickled in and was cooled before the tub was full, but I Iearned to use the handheld showerhead to fill the tub (I'm sure the repairmen would have been right on this had I reported it, but after bugging them the night before, I didn't feel it was worth the effort. The other precaution is the mosquitos. Despite the bug spray, I still received tons of bites (though didn't seem as bad for my husband....just didn't like his blood!) All in all, out experience was "over the top"!

Room Tip: Definitely recommend a second story unit. Large vaulted ceilings (thatched, of course) and a good vi...
1 Thank koshinjl

Thank you for choosing Zoetry Agua for your stay in Dominican Republic

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your vacation in our wondrous hotel.

Our apologizes for the issued encountered and of course we already fixed, plus our consistently fumigation program.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon

Best regards!