Barcelo Bavaro Palace(Bavaro)
$346
$249
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $296/night.

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$332
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$475
$378
$135
Official Site
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $162/night.

Melia Caribe Tropical(Bavaro)
$304
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$441
  • Breakfast included
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$258
Excellence Resorts
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$271
$212
$631
10,524 results
All reviewsbarcelo premiumgabriel chocolatejulio iglesiasquiet poolswim up barrock climbing wallrenovated roomocean viewkids pooltex mexa la carte restaurantsbeautiful beachseafoodgreat vacationpalm treespicky eaterrecommend this resort
Reviewed January 15, 2017

My husband and I, along with a couple of friends went to the Occidental Caribe for a week around New Year 2017. The spot is beautiful. Nice pools, awesome beach (the waves were a lot of fun!), but we were quite disappointed with the rooms. Got a few issues with the safes (both in our room and in our friend's room), the overall look was dated, the cleanliness could have been better, and it was noisy at night... but at least the bed was comfortable!
The à la carte restaurants were good except for the French restaurant (terrible service and the food was blah). The Mexican one was our favorite for lunch and dinner.
The staff was accommodating and the majority were really friendly. Big shout out to the very sweet Martina Mota, our favorite waitress of the week!
Overall, it was a great week, and at a lower price (Holiday vacations are always more expensive), I wouldn't mind going back.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NadineCoVi
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2017

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your recent visit to our Occidental Caribe hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.

In relation to the incidents regarding of your room, we would like to offer our sincere apologies as clearly we were not performing to our usual standards on this occasion, and would like to inform you that since receiving your review a meeting has been held with our entire house keeping department with your review being used as the example to guarantee nothing like this ever happens again.

Thank you once again for making us your choice hotel and for your constructive critics, we certainly look forward to serving you again and to have the opportunity to exceed you expectations in a not too distant future.

Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

I rate resorts by asking my self if I would stay there again. This is one that definitely fits the repeated visit. Rooms were clean, good bathroom space and shower, comfortable beds, good space for clothes. We had the superior room with ocean view on the 4th floor. The one and only thing I disliked was the advertised mini bar where there was only one can of coors light beer...eww. At least have a Dominican beer if you're only going to have only one alcoholic. Other than that, I loved everything about this resort. Our favorite bartender was Heriberto at the lobby bar who treated us like VIP and Felix and his other coworker by the Mareostroni beach bar. Felix even offered to cook something of my preference on the side. What a great way to go above and beyond. Staff was very nice and their entertainment is great. I loved that they left us a New Years present in our room (see picture attached) and their New Year's Eve Gala. Everything was perfect. The buffet food was not too bad and the reservation restaurants food was very good. They had a variety of options such as Italian, Mexican, Dominican, Japanese, Pizza, steak and seafood, etc. I liked that they had have the beach buffet/bar open until 5 am. Really enjoyed the New Years celebration they had for their guest. The surprise present in our room was a nice touch.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.

I am grateful for your compliments towards our staff, whose kindness and helpfulness is one of our hotel's greatest strengths and I promise to congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst in our hotel.

Again we thank you for this wonderful review, it has been a pleasure for us to read and we look forward to serving you again soon

Best Regards

Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

Our flight home was delayed so our carrier put the whole flight up here. Can't speak to the grounds or beach or really any amenities other than the room, check-in process and the dinner buffet but I will review those. Yes, I understand that they unexpectedly had to accommodate an entire flight but regardless, this hotel needs some serious work.

To say check-in was painful would be an understatement. Granted, they were putting up 300 unexpected guests but once we chatted with those in line ahead of us we discovered most were just starting their vacation there. Can't even imagine having to wait in a line like that at the beginning of a vacation. We arrived to a lineup of over 100 people and we waited an hour and a half to check-in. Really poor first impression. Once we checked in, the guest services person gave us our keys and room number and vague directions to our room. We had to come back twice with luggage in tow to get clarification and a map. Super confusing layout so staff should provide guests with more detailed directions to their rooms. Our room was a good hike from the reception area, and it's not even the farthest section.

The common areas of the hotel initially look beautiful but once you look closely it's mostly "lipstick and blush". Toilets were broken in the common bathroom off the lobby, the elevators don't work properly (push the button multiple times), cracked tiles are everywhere and the upholstery is very worn. Watch your step as many of the common areas are open air with only curtains and in wet weather are tremendously slippery. There are also slight steps in so many places and a slippery metal track by the bar outside the buffet that we saw someone wipe out on. It seemed like there were a lot of activities which might be why they are so popular - casino, rock climbing wall, pools, water park and I believe it was on Bavaro which I'm sure is beautiful. No free WiFi available anywhere in the property. There is a paid Internet Cafe on the 3rd level.

Our room was in section 5 (5216 to be precise) which is clearly an old part of the resort. The rooms looked like your typical low budget motel room, complete with black mold in the bathroom and a shampoo and conditioner dispenser on the shower wall. They do supply bar soap, a comb, a shaving kit and a mending kit but obviously no hotel sized shampoo, conditioner or lotion. Tub didn't drain properly so a 5 minute shower results in an inch or so of standing water surrounding your feet. It does have a cool laundry line in the tub though which I thought was a good touch for a resort to have.

The phone blinked the entire time as if we had a message but when trying to retrieve it (hoping it was from our airline) it always just rang busy. There was an alarm clock with an iPod dock in the room and a swivel wall mounted television but the sound on the TV is not very clear.

Patio doors are single paned (and don't lock properly) and our room's small patio (2 chairs and a bistro table) backed onto a garden area where the evening's entertainment could be heard loud and clear even with the doors closed. The single pane doors also don't effectively keep out the damp so our sheets and pillows were moist and smelled musty when we crawled into bed. It was so damp in fact that the complimentary envelopes they leave for guests were all sealed shut from the moisture. Light in the closet was on and we couldn't for the life of us figure out where we might shut it off from so we just shut the doors as best we could and tried to ignore the light leaking through the edges.

The room stunk like fresh paint and the door looked like it had been kicked in before and didn't fit tightly in the jam at all. You can hear conversations and footsteps outside your door loud and clear and if you are a light sleeper they will wake you. Especially if they walk past your room with a Bluetooth speaker on their way to their buddy's room to party.

We went to the buffet for dinner and while it was enormous, everything we got was cold so they need to do something about that. I wanted to get pasta but after being ignored by the guy working that station for 5 minutes, I just gave up. They are clearly shortstaffed for kitchen staff as he was also working a grill station but even the girl that he served beside me just ended up adding her own veggies and cheese to the frying pan because he'd ignored her directions. It took quite awhile to get drinks in the buffet restaurant and the glasses for wine and beer are TINY. My husband ordered 2 beers because of the slow service and the 2 glasses he received would equal a full regular sized bottle of beer. My wine glass looked like it should be in a children's kitchen playset - 5 sips and I was done. Our server didn't ever come back either.

The minibar was stocked with a few small cans of Coors Light, coke, sprite and water and above it was a coffee station with a small coffee pot, coffee, tea, water and small bags of peanuts for snacking. Didn't appear that they did room service as we couldn't find a menu.

TL;DR? Room is super dated, buffet food was cold, crowd seems to be young party crowd and I would never go back.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank breepeace
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2017

Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate the time you spent to share your comments following your visit to our hotel, our guests' feedback is of utmost importance to ensure our demanding standards of service at all times, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconsistency you may have experienced during your stay.

We have taken good note of your remarks related to the service you received upon check in and apologize for the exceptional wait you experienced upon your arrival, we will do our utmost to improve on this aspect of our services.

I sincerely sorry to read your dissatisfaction with the services of your room, we strive to provide total confidence in this area being fully aware that hygiene and cleanliness are aspects of major importance for our guests to feel 100% comfortable in our hotels, that is not in accordance with our established standards.

Please rest assured that your review will be shared with our head of departments for information and further revision.

Sincerely lament reading that your stay was not as pleasant as it should have been and we would be very pleased to welcome you again in the future ensuring you in advance of our utmost commitment to make your next holiday experience an unforgettable one for all the right reasons.

Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

I was in this hotel with my family and I just will describe wirh one wort, Amazing, the room, the restaurants and foods very good, we passed a really fun vacations, the pool for Kids very nice, the hitel entertainment and shows were excellent, I recommend this hotel for friends and family.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Anderson S

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your recent visit. They help us to understand how our guests experience their stay with us. It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted to hear that your holiday at Occidental Caribe was an enjoyable one. We continuously strive to deliver high standards and to ensure that all our guests leave with beautiful vacation memories.

We very much look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards

Reviewed January 13, 2017

First off I just want to say that anyone that complains about this hotel should not travel to the Caribbean!!! We arrived there on New Years Eve for 7 excellent days. I traveled with my girlfriend and our two teenage kids. The hotel staff where absolutely some the best we ever encountered in the Caribbean. The hotel itself and the beach are also excellent. To the folks that are looking to book this hotel or already have, don't let the "Debbie Downers" on here scare you away. I would recommend this resort to anyone. If your room is not what you expected, or if something doesn't work properly, they will move you. When we checked in our rooms were at opposite ends of the property, but by the next morning they had moved our room to the right next to our kids room. The food was better than a lot of the other resorts we have stayed at, average for the Caribbean. I also have to give a big shout out to Juan Lewis in the beach restaurant. We missed New Years Eve as our plane was delayed and did not arrive at the resort until 2AM. He made our New Years an Absolute Blast!!!!

Highly recommend this resort and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Rooms near the Casino are close to everything
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
4  Thank dennishh2017

Dear Guest,

We first would like to thank you for choosing our Occidental Caribe for your holidays in Punta Cana and for letting us know your concerns relating to your time in our hotel as it gives us an opportunity to look at areas which may have for improvement and for that we are grateful.

Once more we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday and very much look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.