“Fun, but won't go back” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fun, but won't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

My son, husband, and myself stayed for 7 days. I have mixed feelings about this place. First off, it is beautiful, definitely no complaints about the atmosphere. Our renovated room was great, with a perfect oceanview. The maid service was outstanding. She cleaned everyday, and when we returned in the evening, we had flowers on our bed and in the bathroom. That was a lovely touch.
My first complaint is the food. Before going, I just figured all of the bad reviews of the food were from picky eaters, but seriously, the food was not good. The buffet was yucky, the meat overcooked, and not really a variety. Lunch and breakfast was literally the same everyday. I had a hard time getting my five year old to eat breakfast b/c they didnt even have kids cereal, and the jelly was "weird" as he called it! Of course, we did not go hungry. I'm not a picky eater, I ate it, I didnt get sick. I just didnt say yum every bite I took.
The Al Cartes were not too impressive either. The Paris was the worst, followed by the Marlin (Husbands lobster wasnt even cooked). Our favorites were the Tex Mex and Tokyo, and they still werent anything to write home about.
Another problem I had was the staff. They were friendly, dont get me wrong. I just dont think they were very professional. They were all young and always seemed to be playing around with each other. One night there was a group of 5 of them standing outside my door yelling and laughing at 11:30 pm. Stuff like this does not ruin my vacation, I'm just speaking how I feel.
Another downfall for us was the beach. It was gorgeous, but the waves were huge! I was taken down by one on the first day there and flipped 3 times underwater. I'll probably be getting sand out of my eardrums for the next month. I do not blame this on the resort, how can I? I did my research and knew I wouldnt have perfectly calm waters there, but it did seem a little rougher than normal. I think because it was really windy the week we were there. sitting at the beach wasnt comfortable because sand was always blowing in our eyes. As for the resort, they did a great job upkeeping the beach. It was clean and pretty.
We had our pictures taken by Maricio at the photo center there. If you want family photos done, please ask for him. Our pics are amazing. He spent over an hour with us and I'm totally in awe with our purchase. They arent very cheap, but well worth it. I spent $120 on 2 prints that they printed out and a CD with 10 pictures on it.
All in all, we had a good time, this resort just wasnt for us. I can't say that I would or wouldnt recommend this place because everyone has different preferences. I like the smaller, more private resorts, and this just wasnt it. Punta Cana is beautiful and I am glad that I experienced it. If I ever return, I would definitely stay at a different resort. For those of you who are planning on staying here, don't let my review sway you because I did have a nice time. It is a great resort, just not for me.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank punkyntif

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,181)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
durham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

My partner and I booked this holiday for xmas and new year 2008. It is a very poor hotel for the 4 star raiting and the price it cost us to stay there, upon arrival our room wasnot ready and after a long flight that is the last thing we wanted, Eventualy we were given a room it was awful it was dirty and smelt of damp.We went and complained after seeing a further 3 rooms that were all the same some were worst than the first, We had also paid for a sea view, we could just say see the sea. In total we were in 5 different rooms and we were only there for 11 nights, We spent more time packing than anything else. my partner also was in bed for 4 days with food poisoning after eating burgers from the snack bar! I would warn people not to eat from there. We didnt think the food in the main restaurant was any good at all but the Itallian and the Japanese restaurant was ok.We did not find the staff helpful at all. The quiet pool area was very clean and tidy and the beach wasnt bad either. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until all the refurbishments have been made and the hotewl has been cleaned up. We went here for a romantic and relaxing holiday and got neither.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louise-gemma
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We arrived at the resort at 11:00 am and got checked in, got our bracelets and were told our room would be ready at 3:00 pm, we were ready for this so we changed into bathingsuits and hit the beach. We went back to reception at 3:30 still original room was not ready. Jean at the front desk asked when we got to the resort and we told him and he made a few calls and switched us to a room that was ready (thanks Jean). When we got to our room 3327 we were impressed with the beautiful ocean view, breath taking. The room was nice and clean and bar was stocked.

FOOD
We were a little confused with the unusal layout of the buffet restaurant the first night but it got easier as the days went by.The food at the buffet was fine sometimes great.
We ate at 5 ala carte restaurants.. We enjoyed the Paris,Tokio,and tex mex. We did not enjoy the Italian or the seafood. We didn`t try the Dominican. We liked the Marlin restaurant for breakfast and lunch and they have the greatest hamburgers and I am not a burger and fry kinda person.

BEACH
Oh the beach, I never tire of Punta Cana beach but I enjoyed this section much better than other resorts I have been too. The beach is very wide and lots of loungers, not many palapas but you could always find shade. We walked the beach each morning for 3 hours and it is a very big part of our vacation. There were no vendors selling on the beach if you wanted some you could walk to the shacks and barter with them. The water was rough a couple of days (knocked me on my butt) but it seemed to calm down as the week went on.

BARS
We enjoyed a couple bars at the resort more than others.The Bar by the quiet pool was great to get out of the sun for a bit. Keylin the bartender was very nice and funny we would stop by to see him after our walks and he laughed because we ordered water but it was only 11 am.
Lobby Bar 2 was our favorite bar it was quieter but the staff were the greatest Tiofolo, Anjelo and Evelyn were very friendly and funny. They treated us great and talked baseball with us, refilling our glasses etc even before we left a tip. They made us feel like family.

ENTERTAINMENT DAYTIME
There were water arobics, volleyball, dancing, a few games around the pool and beer drinking games. They were fun to watch. OH MY GOD was the favorite saying of the DJ....

NIGHTLIFE
We are not big on nightlife, we went to the show one night it was okay.
We also went to the beach party on Sunday night with a couple from Miami and we had fun,
we did the dance lessons and balloon race and watched the fire.

MAINTANCE
The gardeners, painters, groundsmen, beach groomers etc were always working, cleanning fixing something to improve the property. I heard someone complain about the workers fixing things at 9 am in the morning, I found it great to see things being fixed up and care being given to the property.

We met with Sandy Pfeil the General Manager and dropped off school supplies for the kids. She is a very nice lady, we enjoyed our chat with her.

Summary
My husband and I both enjoyed this resort more than any other we have been to. We have been to Dominican Republic 11 times and 2 to Cuba. We have stayed at 3 star resorts up to 5 plus star resorts and this one just felt like home. We cannot pin point one thing that made it stand out it was a combination of everything, we did not want to come home after our 2 weeks were done.
We have no problem recommending this resort to others.
We will definetly be returning next year.
Randy & Jeanette

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
12 Thank jeanette s
New Philadelphia, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

Went to this resort for a week 20-27th from the quick room placement and the Beautiful, clean areas, 1 one of my best trips to Punta Cana. Have been there 6 times now. Asked for a upgrade and got it for no extra $ ocean and pool view in section 3. As we entered our room we received a note and liter of Rum from the hotel, and a knock at the door was another gift of large fruit tray! The food was excellent at special restaurants( which were made for us on our arrival to our room, by the resort) The buffet was excellent too, and I don't know how some people write bad reviews for this resort! Both pools were beautiful and very clean, all the staff I passed always said hello to us including the bar staff, WITH A SMILE TOO! Snorkeling should be done about a 10 minute walk to the right side of the beach water is calmer and bring zip locked bag of bread with you! Don't play the bingo game in the casino though as it is a rip off of your money and I know of a few people who loss $1000.'s before I warned them of it. The shows at the theater are about normal for all Resorts in Punta Cana.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank WILDDOG
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

Arrived back a few days ago and I want to go back already!! Here is my honest review

Room: We upgraded our room to deluxe ocean view and for $150 it was worth it! The room was very nice and the view from our balcony was perfect (see my picture)

Beach and Pools: The beach is probably the nicest I have ever been too and the pools were lovely too! The kids mini waterpark would be great for people with kids, unfortunately they don't let adults play on it.

Drinks: Good but they do come in tiny cups with LOTS of ice so if your actually thirsty you might need three!

Food: Here is where my only complaint comes in... the food was nice, i enjoyed eating at the buffet and a la cartes. I reccommend tokio and tex mex for lunch! Half way through my vacation I ate some pasta from the pasta hut at the buffet and that was the last meal I ate. I spent the rest of the night over the toilet and I missed the trip we had booked for the next morning, I was just too sick. I lost my appetite until I got home which was a shame. I also couldnt bring myself to drink alcohol after this either, which is probably a bigger shame. I survived on bread after that.

Weather: The weather forcast says rain everyday but don't worry it was hot and the sun shines, there are clouds in the sky but the weather is still great!

Entertainment: During the day you will have no problem amusing yourself, whatever your age. At night its a different story. Im not going to lie the shows were BAD and there only on for like an hour anyway! The circus one amused me but bad singing and dancing didn't. Me and my boyfriend spent our nights having a drink and playing pool because there wasn't anything else to do. The bars don't really have an atmosphere. Good thing we were jet lagged so early nights weren't too disappointing!

THOMSON: If your going with Thomson your lucky! The rep Mark is soo nice and helpful. He even refunded me the $200 i paid for the trip I missed which I was very shocked about.

Over all I would say GO!! I know I have said a few negative things but I guess I was unlucky with the food because it did actually taste great! Its such a nice place, I would go back tomorrow! I didn't want to come home!
And as for the evening entertainment, Im 22 maybe I need more to stimulate me! Families and older couples would probably enjoy relaxing nights????

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sunflower2009
novascotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

We stayed at barcelo punta cana april 6th 2009,formally a breezes....2nd time here and everything was fantastic......very,very good resort for everyone,nicest beach in domrep,great food ,nice rooms,great place for familys with young children...very nice water park and a life guard,you can also get a seat up on beach by water park and get the best of both worlds,trapeez and rock climbingwall also wonderful for the kids and the staff at these locations are fantastic with the kids..nice resort for couples or singles....lots for every one.....they have two very large pools,one very quiet and one party pools,best of both worlds......the resort is not perfect but i have not found a perfect one.....but dont let the bad reviews scare you off,these people that write them about this resort would be happy no where...they have alot to do if you are the busy type but also a good resort to just sit back and relax.....they have a new ampa theater and it is wonderful with great nightly entertainment,this resort has got to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet,it is truly paradise!!!!!!!TREAT YOURSELF

Blockhouse..novascotia

7 Thank fairlane99
Providence, RI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

The beach was beautiful. There were always plenty of chairs, towels, shade. The pool area was also well kept and clean.

The DJ that played at the beach was pretty annoying and sang over every song like karaoke. The service staff were not rude - but they did not seem concerned with customer service. It was difficult to get their attention for beverages, and sometimes when you did - they would walk by and ignore you.

The room was nice, but there was a very overpowering musty smell that was difficult to get used to. They said they would spray something - but it did not help. We also had construction workers pounding away on the patios below.

We did have a problem with our shower - when we called the front desk they were quick to send someone over within an hour and it was taken care of.

The most disturbing part of the trip had to be the prostitutes they allow to hang around the bar and club on Saturday nights. Four local girls appeared Friday night and were sitting with various men throughout the evening. They kept going up to a room and returning in a different outfit. Towards the end of the evening in the club one actually approached my husband and offered him services for $100 and gave her room number!
We were surprised that the hotel allows this to go on.

If we return to DR - we would probably spend the extra money and stay at the Excellence.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple