10,739 results
All reviews barcelo premium gabriel chocolate julio iglesias quiet pool swim up bar rock climbing wall renovated room ocean view the mexican restaurant kids pool a la carte restaurants beautiful beach seafood great vacation palm trees picky eater family vacation
Reviewed April 27, 2009

What a great trip we had at the Barcelo Punta Cana from Apr 4th to Apr 18th. I had so much apprehension prior to leaving with the numerous negative comments I read about this hotel on this site as well as on Debbie’s review. I did not take any chance and sent an email to customer service in Spanish and received a reply in perfect English on the same day. I had to pay extra for one of the renovated rooms but it was well worth it. We were in room 2411. The Ocean view was breathtaking. Thanks to Mrs Rodriguez for the extras we received. Wife and I celebrated our 35th Anniversary and we were able to drink champagne with the two couples accompanying us on this trip. Champagne was a compliment of the hotel and our name was printed in the weekly news. The other two couples accompanying us did not take an upgrade but they were satisfied with their rooms. They were located in block 7 and 6. Their rooms were kept clean throughout and they never had any problems with the towels or face cloths. I have been travelling for quite some time and found that ATTITUDE makes a real difference for the services we get. May not be the same for you but I found that when I travelled with the right ATTITUDE my vacation turned out to be great.
A bit of a drawback, on the top floor in the renovated part, you can hear the people in next room as if they are in your room. The first week was great since our neighbours were a charming couple from Ottawa with two young boys. We only heard them sometimes early in the morning and this was minor. We truly discovered how well we could hear when the next guests arrived for the rest of Easter weekend. These guests slept in the morning, partied late at night until the wee hours of the morning and their phone and/or cell kept on ringing. Figured they must have been very popular locals. Mind you this did not have any negative effect on our vacation since my wife slept with ear plugs and I can sleep anywhere. Besides we were out on the beach every day. We ate at the A la Carte restaurants on at least 9 occasions. The food was great and so was the service at each of the A la Carte although the service may not have been as good on the second occasion at the Italian (Roma). We all enjoyed every restaurant, yes even the French and were pleasantly surprised at the Dominican (Conuco) I had booked this one last since this seemed to be the lowest rated in the comments prior to our departure on this site. What a pleasant surprise. There was plenty of food and variety at the buffet and the desserts were simply too good.
Service at the bar was normally great and fairly quick. The best bartenders were Kaylen at the bar beneath the Tex Mex and Richard at the other pool bar. The lunch A la Carte at the Tex Mex was great and very pleasant although most times we had lunch at the Merlin.
The Beach is great and you can walk forever. We walked a minimum of one hour per day on the beach.
The one negative point is that I lost my best bathing suit. A good one I had purchased at the Bikini Village. I had placed it on the ramp on the balcony (I did not tie it down) and the wind blew it away. It fell down two floors on the balcony of room 2212. It was 8:00 in the morning and I did not want to wake the occupants. I showed the bathing suit to two of the maids on the 2nd floor and they both said they would recuperate it later. When I went back in the afternoon to check with one of the maid (Victoria) she was embarrassed and said she could not get it back. I also tried through the Air Transat Agent but I think I provided the wrong room number where it had fallen. Lessons learned. I should have contacted the Concierge immediately when it happened. If I had done so I believe I would have recuperated said bathing suit.
Prior to leaving I sent an email to Air Transat to ask if I should be worried about all the negative comments on Trip Advisor and Debbie’s review. They never even acknowledged my email. In my view and opinion this is very poor customer service on the part of Air Transat. I will likely look elsewhere for our next trip South. I believe Air Transat is giving a false impression in their publicity for the Barcelo Punta Cana. If you look at the picture in their book, what you see is one of the renovated rooms. Yet the renovated rooms are not part of the Prestige class. This seems like misrepresentation to me or at least not being truthful. . Anyhow, all six of us thought our trip to the Barcelo turned out to be very positive and this is the first time I/we would have stayed on a little longer (am normally ready to go home after 14 days at any resort).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank OasisIV
Reviewed April 26, 2009

There were 8 in our party which consisted of two 16 yr olds and two 14 yr olds. The beach and the pool were both fabulous. Everything from the restaurants to the bars were in good central locations.. Did not find the map provided very user friendly but that just meant had to explore more. Lots for the teens and adults to do either apart or together. Fun for all. The bedrooms were very standard and the bathtub all need to be removed with just maybe a shower access. We do not fuss about the rooms as long as the food is good, the staff is friendly and the drinks taste good.
I would recommend this resort and will return again. For the ones who complain about the room.. You have to get in the sun more. The rooms are just for shower and couple hours sleep.

2  Thank Newfietraveller20
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Just spent 2 weeks at this hotel and we didn't want to come home. We stayed in the unrenovated part of the hotel in Block 7, the suite we had was huge. My parents stayed in Block 3 the renovated area and their room was amazing compared to ours but we weren't complaining you only get changed and sleep in your room anyway. I was a bit doubtful after we booked the holiday then looked at the reviews on here, i can honestly say that i don't know what people are complaining about. The only downfall to this hotel is the entertainment in the theatre at night, kids on stage from 8.45 till show starts at 9.30. unfortunately the majority of shows are just dancing to music and this can become repetative, the show lasts for an hour then everyone leaves. This is a shame because the theatre is a brilliant place and if the entertainment was better and lasted longer you could have a brilliant night in there. The staff are friendly, the hotel was very clean, the food was fantastic. We got married during our second week here the day was brilliant, Jamie the wedding co-ordinater was really nice. we found the photo package and DVD package to be a lot more expensive than quoted in our paperwork so got friends and family to take them instead. If you are getting married here DO NOT TAKE any original documents take certified copies, as all the paperwork is taken off you and NOT returned which we were not told about , we now have no birth certificates. We are both in our forties and travelled with 2 children aged 14 & 8, we met some fabulous people on holiday and would definately go back.

4  Thank lolBolton
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed at the resort in March and we were less then impressed with it. Alot of renovations were made but only to half of the rooms. We had to stay in an older room if we didn't want to pay an extra $60 USD per night . The room was dirty and smelled really bad. I am not one to complain about this stuff but this was unbareable. We tried to complain but you know how Dominican staff can be.
The food was avarage typical resort food that you get sick of after 4 or 5 days. The Beach was very nice as usual, but there was a shortage of beach chairs.
There is 2 pools. 1 is over crowded and the other is quiet.
All the resort bars get crowded so expect to wait a little while to get served.
People don't seem to dress up for dinner which is too bad. It's hard to feel your at a 4 1/2 star resort when people are wearing cut off jeans and a dirty t-shirt at dinner.
I would not recommend this resort to anyone mainly because there is way better options for your money in Punta Cana. I can't see why anyone whould rate this resort as 5 stars.
If you are immune to mold, dirty bathroom, moldy dirty falling apart shower, and strange smells such as burning garbage smells that fills the evening breeze every single night then this resort is for you.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stitch2121
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Premium Punta Cana April 6th - 11th and had an amazing time. We went with another family, total of 4 adults, 5 kids (6, 10, 14, 18, 18) and there was something for everyone.

Check-In - no problem at all. Gave us our room numbers went to our rooms and everything was fine.

Beach - Couldn't ask for anything more. Beautiful white sand, the water was the perfect temperature, the waves were great...not too rough, and it was crystal clear. My husband stayed in the water all day with the kids that wanted to go in the water. He also boogie boarded with other men he meet.

Pool(s) - Everyone had a pool of choice but we started out at the quiet pool, that was our base. From there some kids went to the beach, some to the kids pool, and the others to the party pool with the swim up bar. I personally stayed at the quiet pool all day. I was able to watch the kids in the kids pool, check up on everyone at the beach and take a walk now and then to the party pool. Everything was in such close range but separate...Very Nice!!! The pools and the pool area were very clean . I would watch the workers in the evening clean up from the day and watch them in the morning clean the pools and get everything ready for another day. They were constantly cleaning and keeping up with things.

Restaurants - The restaurants were fine. The buffet always had something good never a complaint. In the morning we asked for a bottle of champagne for the table and had mamossa's with breakfast. Omlettes, oatmeal (oatmeal soup or aveeno soup) fruit and mamossa's...what else could you ask for. Lunch was either the buffet, steakhouse grill (by the party pool), or the mexican restaurant (near the quiet pool) All good. Dinner - Italian was good, just know what to order. Japaneese was also good. I think people that have never been to japaneese hibacchi style enjoyed it more than people that have been in the states. I love Japaneese in the states and it was not bad at all there. A little hot in the restaurant. Steak and Seafood Restaurant was also good (stay away from the Lobster Bisque soup) actually try it and let me here your review, lol. But remember no matter where you go there is always something you don't like. Last was the Mexican Restaurant that we did not want to go to because we couldn't imagine Mexican in the Dominican. Well, knock your socks off it was amazing. How about that. And I am a picky eater and have to watch what I eat but no problems. All in all the food was great. not gourmet but great.

Rooms - We loved our room. We got a suite and so did our friends. They also got a deluxe double for the two 18 year olds. Everything was great. I never slept so good, comfortable bed. My daughter loved her bed in the livingroom. It was a day bed and very comfortable. We never saw any bugs until the kids left something out overnight and there were a couple ants enjoying what they left behind. I am sure you would find that anywhere. Other than that never saw one again. We had a perfect view of the quiet pool, kids pool, and the ocean.

Spa - Had a full body massage well worth it. Bargain on the price a little.

Tips - even though they say not to tip, these people work very hard to accomodate you and to make your trip the best. a dollar or two goes a long way. We actually met one of the matradees family our last day there. They came to stay with him for Easter and they were the friendliest people we had them sit with us at breakfast. My friend and I gave his kids a little something from the Easter Bunny!! You would have thought you gave them a million bucks the way they hugged us and thanked us. It makes you appreciate what you have.

On Call Doctor - Her name was Wendy Germanie and she lives on site. We visited her two times. Once, my daughter got 2nd degree burns under her eyes. She gave her antibiotoc orally and an antibiotoc cream with Vitamin A and it looked amazing the next day. Watch the Sun!! Our second visit was due to my husband dehydrating from too much sun and some drinking (really not much). This required a trip to the hospital which was not bad at all. They have a private medical center in Punta Cana for the hotel guests. It was actually impressive from what I thought to expect. He had a private room, they brought him lunch, and hooked him up to IV for 8 hours and he was good to go. They also did alot of tests to make sure there were no signs of a stroke. They had a car service take us to and from the hospital. Very Nice experience that could not have been.

I really don't have anything bad to say about the hotel. I did notice people (guests) not treating the hotel very nice. Not many, maybe a handful. But again that's anywhere. Just remember, if you see something wrong talk to them nicely and let them know and make sure they understand and they will fix it. Remember it is not the hotel staff abusing things, it's the people that stay there.

I would recomend this hotel to anyone of any age. We met so many people from all over the world and all different ages and everyone was having an amazing time. I didn't hear a complaint from anyone I met. We are actually going back next year same time. I am just waiting for the airlines to open up the dates.

Visit this hotel and Enjoy!!!!!

7  Thank marisalouisa